image.jpg
image-884.jpg
image-655.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Cheap but effective Jumping Jack mod in the black light room:

image-655.jpgimage-655.jpg
image-884.jpgimage-884.jpg

#2 9 years ago

UV-reactive tape from Hobby Lobby, $13 for a big roll.

The black light fixture is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L3PG2I0/

I bought it to light up some custom artwork on one wall, but it fills the whole room.

#3 9 years ago

Bump to keep this at the top, love this stuff.

#4 9 years ago

I'll post pics of the wall art when it's done. These are no cheesy black light posters; I found some amazing art at a tattoo place in Wilmington SC. Then I made a pretty cool high score board with glass and fluorescent paint pens. I hope to get it all up before league night this Saturday.

#5 9 years ago

I tried black light mods. The only problem is just like in your picture, it only works if the game is turned off. Once you turn the game/games on the brightness of the LED's eliminates the blacklight effect. I wish there was a way around that.

#6 9 years ago

The ultimate. UV lights come on about :24 secs in.

EL-wire on ramps, photo-reactive clearcoat on all metal.

#7 9 years ago

Got the LEDs strips with the 3m backing and allied it inside the cab on the left and right side, just under the glass following the glass line one both sides, so it ran parrallel. I also wired in a dimmer/ on and off switch so that I cold not only remotely turn on/off the LEDs, but also control the intensity, as I figured some might like it more or less than others, and some not at all.
I think they came out neat and really make the DE blacklight artwork pop!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage-85.jpgimage-85.jpg

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I tried black light mods. The only problem is just like in your picture, it only works if the game is turned off. Once you turn the game/games on the brightness of the LED's eliminates the blacklight effect. I wish there was a way around that.

If you check out my mod, it allows the game to be on AND the blacklight stuff to still work too

#9 9 years ago

Waiting for Dr Dude...

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

If you check out my mod, it allows the game to be on AND the blacklight stuff to still work too

Where did you get your uv strips?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

How did you achive that?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Got the LEDs strips with the 3m backing and allied it inside the cab on the left and right side, just under the glass following the glass line one both sides, so it ran parrallel. I also wired in a dimmer/ on and off switch so that I cold not only remotely turn on/off the LEDs, but also control the intensity, as I figured some might like it more or less than others, and some not at all.
I think they came out neat and really make the DE blacklight artwork pop!

image.jpg 70 KB

image-85.jpg 69 KB

This is amazing! Can you elaborate with more pics on where you placed the strips. I can't envision what you are saying. You put the strips at the top of the cab just under the glass? Doesn't it interfear with you lifting and lowering the playfield? Where did you get the black light strips from?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

The GI in Jumping Jack isn't bright enough to wash out the black light effect. Also, the ADJ UV light is really bright, so any flourescent color really lights up. It looks like EL ribbon even with the game's lights on.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14 9 years ago

I added a UV bulb in the GI on LAH to light up the 'crowd' in front of the movie screen, and added a purple LED strip on the ramp that lights up the playfield a bit like a black light to make the colors pop. I saved the Amazon link to my wish list so that I can look at it if/when I get Predator in there, because I've already got UV paint ready to make some Pred blood splatters on the walls.

image-898.jpgimage-898.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg
#15 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I've already got UV paint ready to make some Pred blood splatters on the walls.

I wish my wife said things like this.

#16 9 years ago

Cool, seems like my little mod is liked!

I think this should cover all the questions asked

I got the strips of black light LEDs off eBay (link included below), which included the power plug and adapter. They have 3m tape on the back of the led strips, so I followed the line for the glass, putting the lights just below the channel for the glass to slide in (found this was a good spot, as it was high enough up on the wall to hit most areas of the PF with the black light's light).this is INSIDE the cabinet on the BOTH the left and right side walls, and since the led on the 3m tape are so thin, there is just enough room for the PF to go up and down...don't get me wrong, it's tight, but it works. If I was more confident with my router abilities, I would cut a line out for them to go in that rubs parrall with the glass, but there is no way I feel confident enough to take a power tool like that to the cabinet for a mod. Anyways, once I had it taped up, I cut the excess of the led strip, which can be trimmed every 3 LEDs. Dropped the wires in to the cabinet, hooked wires up to the power plug. I decided to put a dimmer switch (got from same eBay seller) in the line, and put it just inside the coin door, as it allows you to not only turn the black light on and off easily, but it also allows you to control the intensity, as some players may want more or Jess. Finally, i simply ran a regular extention cord in through the back of the cabinet (moved the grating off of one of the vent holes in bottom of cab, and just put cord in through that) to give the led unit the power it needs (one plug that comes out if the dimmer switch).

I am a bit weird when it comes to electronics, as i tend to always worry that something i did may fo wrong, or there could be a fault in the electronics i installed. so I made it so that all the controls/power are right by the inside of the coin door. Not only can I control the brightness and intensity of the LEDs, bt I can also unplug the extention cord from the LEDs when not in use.

If you have any otter questionsm just kept me know,
--Ed

Here is the link to the link to eBay, don't be fooled by otters that look like blacklights, you need the UV ones like this.
ebay.com link: 5m UV ultraviolet 3528SMD 600LED Non waterproof LED Black Light Light Strip Lamp

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Cool, seems like my little mod is liked!
I think this should cover all the questions asked
I got the strips of black light LEDs off eBay (link included below), which included the power plug and adapter. They have 3m tape on the back of the led strips, so I followed the line for the glass, putting the lights just below the channel for the glass to slide in (found this was a good spot, as it was high enough up on the wall to hit most areas of the PF with the black light's light).this is INSIDE the cabinet on the BOTH the left and right side walls, and since the led on the 3m tape are so thin, there is just enough room for the PF to go up and down...don't get me wrong, it's tight, but it works. If I was more confident with my router abilities, I would cut a line out for them to go in that rubs parrall with the glass, but there is no way I feel confident enough to take a power tool like that to the cabinet for a mod. Anyways, once I had it taped up, I cut the excess of the led strip, which can be trimmed every 3 LEDs. Dropped the wires in to the cabinet, hooked wires up to the power plug. I decided to put a dimmer switch (got from same eBay seller) in the line, and put it just inside the coin door, as it allows you to not only turn the black light on and off easily, but it also allows you to control the intensity, as some players may want more or Jess. Finally, i simply ran a regular extention cord in through the back of the cabinet (moved the grating off of one of the vent holes in bottom of cab, and just put cord in through that) to give the led unit the power it needs (one plug that comes out if the dimmer switch).
I am a bit weird when it comes to electronics, as i tend to always worry that something i did may fo wrong, or there could be a fault in the electronics i installed. so I made it so that all the controls/power are right by the inside of the coin door. Not only can I control the brightness and intensity of the LEDs, bt I can also unplug the extention cord from the LEDs when not in use.
If you have any otter questionsm just kept me know,
--Ed
Here is the link to the link to eBay, don't be fooled by otters that look like blacklights, you need the UV ones like this.
ebay.com link » 5m Uv Ultraviolet 3528smd 600led Non Waterproof Led Black Light Light Strip Lamp

Excellent, thank you for the write up. I want to do this to my T2, it would look amazing with blacklight. One more question though. Those strips are bright, with them just under the glass on both sides they are in plain view by your eyes. Aren't they too bright right there in plain sight and hurt your eyes? Or did you find a way to hide them?

#18 9 years ago

I didn't really feel that they were in the direct line of sight, as they are on the wall of the game, and high up on the wall at that. Honestly, I didn't find them distracting at all. I had originally worried it might be like a lamp with its shade off and would be glaring and would pull your eyes directly to it, and hurt your eyes, but that was NOT the case. Also, since they are the blacklight, the light is not as intense as a normal type bulb/light, so it's more of just a hue/haze feeling, unless you actively seek out to look at the blacklight strip. For me, they were not distracting other than the fact that I sometimes get caught up in how cool the playfield art looks with it's blacklight art lit up, rather than focusing on my ball in play....lol

2 years later
#19 7 years ago

I need some ideas to light this up:

I know I can probably hang a light fixture over the game, but then what if I want to move it?

Then I thought, what about strips of UV LEDs? I could stick a strip on each side of the head bezel.
Then maybe mount some kind of small ledge on the bottom edge of the cabinet to mount a long strip facing up.

IMG_1727 (resized).JPGIMG_1727 (resized).JPG

IMG_1728 (resized).JPGIMG_1728 (resized).JPG

IMG_1729 (resized).JPGIMG_1729 (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Here are some options:

https://www.amazon.com/OPPSK-Gamut-Par-Lights-4in1/dp/B01LMU1TAQ/ref=sr_1_24
Might be good to just shine on the one side of the game.

https://www.amazon.com/AMARS-Waterproof-395nm-405nm-Ultraviolet-Fixtures/dp/B01LX85U4R/ref=sr_1_10
These strips would be good if I decide to mount them to the cabinet.

https://www.amazon.com/OPPSK-9LEDx3W-Black-Light-Metallic/dp/B01HCSEFEY/ref=sr_1_6
This one looks like it will light up most of the room!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

Here are some options:
amazon.com link »
Might be good to just shine on the one side of the game.
amazon.com link »
These strips would be good if I decide to mount them to the cabinet.
amazon.com link »
This one looks like it will light up most of the room!

The first one is nice and small and directional but 12 watts aint much. The second one wouldn't very well, it would light up the first few inches really well but that light would fad quickly and not evenly. The third one would light the side evenly when it's mounted above and to the side, it's directional which is good but again 27 watts aint much. I have a lot of bl in my room to get the desired level of bl light up. See my pictures in the Show your gameroom topic.

#22 7 years ago

remember to buy some UV proof covers to protect your pins from sunlight when not used......

no, wait a minute......

#23 7 years ago

I have one of these and it throws some serious light!! You don't wanna stare at it. https://www.amazon.com/ADJ-Products-ECO-UV-BAR/dp/B00KZHRY9I I'll be its pretty much like that last one listed I have 7 48in t12 tubes in the same area and it competes with those... the problem w/ led blacklight as apposed to real blacklight tho is led blacklight dosent fluoresce White where as the old school make white glow like crazy.. this is why I use both

#24 7 years ago

I also use 7 48in t-12's and it competes with those... problem w/ led blacklight tho it dosent fluoresce white so you wanna mix them to get it right... I just picked up 2 of these and they also put out pretty decent light... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LQESQ0O/ref=sxts1 only drawback to em is light angle is more like <120 degrees but they are pretty small, bright, and use only 9 watts a piece

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

See my pictures in the Show your gameroom topic.

Cool game room! Something to aspire to...

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll go with a directional one and mount it to the ceiling. I have an outlet up there that powers some fluorescent lights now.

10 months later
#26 6 years ago

Here's a TFTC I did a while ago with a NOS cc pf and 7 different types of Comet UV leds!

042.JPG042.JPG

024.JPG024.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 70.00
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-your-uv-black-light-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.