Topic Stats

• 23,818 posts
  • 2,344 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by YippieKiYay
  • Topic is favorited by 1,120 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240423_232536 (resized).jpg
    20240423_230401 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0382 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0384 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0385 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0383 (resized).jpeg
    F6EBFC34-48FD-435B-AB3B-4A5273C6510A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0026 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20240407_103947 (resized).jpg
    B9FFAD34-18DF-4AB2-888B-E1CD25FD4525 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    20240406_184918 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sleazius.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4310 8 years ago

This is my favourite thread on pinside, been waiting a while to contribute to this thread.

Not finished, construction started September last year:

Approximately 160m^2 (1750 sq ft), the layout is wrong, but its the most up to date I have.

gamesroom_small.pnggamesroom_small.png

#4344 8 years ago

This is where it is at currently, main gameroom and batcave - the batcave took inspiration from pmwolf's build and will hold the majority of my machines, 14m (46ft) long, 4.5m (15ft) wide:

IMG_9410_s.JPGIMG_9410_s.JPG IMG_8790_s.JPGIMG_8790_s.JPG
    #4355 8 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

Sleazius - Keep the pictures coming. I love before/during/after pics! You have some great inspiration by using PMWolf's "wolf den"!

There is a build thread over at Aussie Arcade starting with the plans back in 2011. Tonnes of photos there.

3 months later
    #5070 8 years ago

Temp setup for a newspaper shoot in part of the gamesroom. Games are fresh out of storage and aren't levelled. Gamesroom not completed. The two rooms will eventually hold 51 pins.

IMG_0463_s.jpgIMG_0463_s.jpg

IMG_0482_s.jpgIMG_0482_s.jpg

IMG_0485_s.jpgIMG_0485_s.jpg

IMG_0487_s.jpgIMG_0487_s.jpg

IMG_0488_s.jpgIMG_0488_s.jpg

#5072 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

DANG...you have enough room in there to park a semi between those 2 rows. What's going there?

This room isn't my pin room - its the gamesroom attached to the pinball room. I just had to set up some games for an article they were doing on the resurgence of pinball. The row of Sterns will stay, everything else will go in the other room. A lounge + TV will go in this room, plus a couple of driving sims, my Hercules, some dedicated arcade cabs, and a poker table.

This is the room where the majority of the pins go 46ft long, 15ft wide - the entrance to this room is from the one in the previous photos:

IMG_0429_s.jpgIMG_0429_s.jpg

#5076 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Wow, is all of this in a seperate building? I see the walls and ceiling are painted black, is it going to be a black light lit room?

Its the basement of my pool house, which I extended so that it would connect back to my house. So the pinball room (batcave) at the far end has a lift shaft (with a lift eventually) which goes into my billiard room in my house.

In effect the Batcave is a tunnel, it is almost 2ft underground. Its like a bomb shelter with pins. Kind of like pmwolf's setup only mine goes between two buildings.

This is the pool house, and the batcave sits under this lawn:

IMG_0508_s.JPGIMG_0508_s.JPG

The back side of the pool house, showing the basement underneath:

IMG_0512_s.JPGIMG_0512_s.JPG

The gamesroom with the pool windows down the end (those two rectangle windows look into the pool):

IMG_0515_s.JPGIMG_0515_s.JPG

The camera overexposes it, this is more how it looks from in the room:

IMG_0521_s.JPGIMG_0521_s.JPG

Looking from the far end of the batcave into the gamesroom gives you an idea of how long it is:

IMG_0525_s.JPGIMG_0525_s.JPG

Entrance to the batcave from the main room + the toilet and shower:

IMG_0529_s.JPGIMG_0529_s.JPG

Gamesroom looking back toward the batcave entrance:

IMG_0530_s.JPGIMG_0530_s.JPG

There is a full build thread over at Aussie Arcade if you want to see more. Couldn't be bothered upkeeping 2 build threads which is why there isn't one here.

#5082 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Now that's a brilliant idea, go underground. Just hope it doesn't leak. With the pool windows is it designed should they break it won't flood the room, I would think so.

Pool windows are perspex, not likely to break, just crack. The Batcave did have several leaks due to a fault in construction, all fixed now. The whole outside of it was covered in a membrane however the membrane was pierced in about 10 spots (all really close together). Those got patched and it doesn't leak now.

#5098 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

With that much open space, I just wonder why would you build underground ....

Why not?

I wanted a space that didn't offend my wife, and was still attached to my house but would not be somewhere she'd be bothered about entering. In the US for most guys this is usually a basement. In Australia it is generally a shed. I was doing a large renovation project at my house and this ticked a lot of boxes. Aesthetics came into play as well, the fact that you can't see it from the house is a big win.

#5099 8 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

That's awesome, sleaz! Is there a secret entrance to the bat-pin-cave?

From the house, yes.

1 week later
    #5140 8 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

This is insane!!!
    I was looking through the poolhouse pics thinking "the only thing missing is a James-Bond-like windowed pool that you can look into when in the gameroom" and bam, a few pictures later you're presenting exactly that setup.
    Congrats to one of the coolest gamerooms I've ever seen!

Thanks - still a work in progress but I'll update when the lighting is in.

2 months later
    #5647 8 years ago

I used weather proof 24v LED strips in my shadow line and use repeaters with a wall mounted controller to sync the whole lot - it wasn't cheap but the effect is cool. The only issue is where the shadow line is directly over 4 pins, these machines are unplayable with the LEDs on.

I'll put up a photo when it gets dark.

4 weeks later
    #5822 8 years ago

I stuck this in another thread, but here is the batcave with a bunch of games setup in it - still very much a work in progress. Still a bunch of stuff that is unfinished including the floor:

batcave_(resized).JPGbatcave_(resized).JPG

basement1_(resized).JPGbasement1_(resized).JPG

basement4_(resized).JPGbasement4_(resized).JPG

#5844 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gerrard17:

This surely has to be the best collection in Australia! Congrats sir.

Not even close. One of the largest collectors in the world lives in QLD (approx 2500 machines - not a typo).

It is nice to have some of my games setup permanently though so thanks!

2 years later
    #10301 6 years ago

Heres one of my early mocks using sketchup. I think most people doing a gamesroom do some sort of mockup.

Edit - can't get the image to load from phone, will post it later.

#10309 6 years ago

Here is those mocks I was talking about before - all done in sketchup several years back. The layout is totally different now, but whatever.

gamesroom_more_games_2d_small (resized).JPGgamesroom_more_games_2d_small (resized).JPG

gamesroom_spacious_small (resized).JPGgamesroom_spacious_small (resized).JPG

gamesroom_small (resized).PNGgamesroom_small (resized).PNG

4 weeks later
    #10497 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

That looks great with a black ceiling but the ceiling in my garage/shop/gameroom II is white and I want the light to bounce off it so I need some measurements to space the strip from the ceiling.

I've got a shadowline ceiling in part of my gamesroom (with white ceiling and walls) and the leds are concealed in there. You wouldn't think it but it lights up the whole room. I agonised about how much light I was going to get from it, but in the end it didn't matter, and shadow lines are far more concealed than a cove with LEDs pointing at the ceiling.

violet (resized).jpgviolet (resized).jpg

pink (resized).jpgpink (resized).jpg

lightblue (resized).jpglightblue (resized).jpg

indigo (resized).jpgindigo (resized).jpg

orange (resized).jpgorange (resized).jpg

#10506 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Thanks that does look nice but I still want only the ceiling lit.

If you’ve got a white ceiling and you’re using RGB LEDs you’re going to struggle as the ceiling acts as a reflector. I took inspiration from www.avsforum.com because this sort of thing is done in home theatres a lot more than games rooms.

#10512 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What do you mean by struggle? I don't want to light the room just give the ceiling some colored wash, there's enough already in the room to light it. I just need to know how far down from the ceiling and far enough from the wall to get the best ceiling wash.

Because LEDs act as a point source of light, on a white ceiling in a dark room you get reflections of the LEDs in the ceiling itself - hard to describe but it doesn't look good (you don't get a solid colour wash, it more looks like individual streams of light). However, now that you've mentioned that the room will be lit, you just need a dimmer to adjust the brightness to find what suits.

As for cove/soffit placement and concealed LED lighting, you're very unlikely to get an accurate answer here. If you go to avsforums every second home theatre has concealed LED lighting using either a cove or a soffit, and the community there is 100x the size of here, so it has been done thousands of times.

#10519 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yes and how far they are from the ceiling too.

That is the more important factor. The effect I was talking about is more prominent the closer they are to the surface they are to reflect off. You can buy smoked diffusers to stop the issue.

These ones are for recessed strips, like in a shadow line, also they're in Australia, but it gives you some idea of what is available to reduce the effect even if you don't want to run a cove.

http://www.sunnylighting.com.au/led-strips/channels-accessories/slt6000/product-detail.aspx

Or like this, wall mounted up or down lighting:

https://www.ledlighting.com.au/led-strip-profiles-led-p019/

45 degree mount:

https://www.ledlighting.com.au/led-strip-profiles-led-p007/

Anyway, getting away from your original question but there are lots of things that are traditionally used in home theatres that could be used in home arcades to great effect.

4 months later
    #11353 5 years ago

To get the thread back on track - just a nice shot I took the other night showing part of my shed setup for a meet.

barn2018 (resized).jpgbarn2018 (resized).jpg
    #11356 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's a "shed"? No THIS is a shed. [quoted image]

Australians tend to call any outbuilding to the house a shed, especially if the building is metal (the vast majority are). In this case its probably closer to a workshop or warehouse being brick.

1 year later
    #14298 4 years ago
    Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

My new pinball barn. I’m quite pleased with the end result.
    [quoted image]

I'm in planning to do a very similar thing. Thanks for the post - looks great. Is that exterior wood or metal?

2 years later
    #20341 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eagle14:

I was very hesitant to share these photos. I didn't do it to show off or say hey look at me, I just wanted to share my passion for pinball with likeminded people.

Awesome setup. Like in any hobby there will always be naysayers for whatever reason. You do you. I like what you've done, the black lotus is the icing on the cake.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sleazius.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms?tu=sleazius and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.