Topic Stats

• 23,721 posts
  • 2,339 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 38 hours ago by toaster777
  • Topic is favorited by 1,118 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4565 (resized).png
    IMG_4566 (resized).png
    Pinside_forum_8089745_0 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_090612_Outlook (resized).jpg
    20240303_004841 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2110 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2104 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
    Pinside_forum_3339888_776249 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_3339888_776248 (resized).jpg
    20240324_164009 (resized).jpg
    20240324_163842 (resized).jpg
    20240324_163742 (resized).jpg
    20240324_163730 (resized).jpg
    20240324_163712 (resized).jpg
    20240324_163705 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10658 5 years ago

I have a ranch, so the basement is long, not square...pins on one end, home theater at the other end for when I'm being lousy at pins (which happens a lot).

20180216_195800 (resized).jpg20180216_195800 (resized).jpg

20180216_195810 (resized).jpg20180216_195810 (resized).jpg

#10660 5 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

Good looking space!

Thanks! I'm a cheapskate at heart, so the projector screen is actually white trim paint surrounded by 1x4 pine covered in black velveteen. 7.1 with at about 1.1KW of audio + two 12" powered subs. Bought a discontinued Yamaha receiver and a refurb'd Epson projector with really nice specs. Incredibly impressive for how little I spent - actually better than going to a theater!

#10663 5 years ago

Hi Dave,

I'll shoot you a PM shortly so I don't derail the thread!

Mark

#10665 5 years ago
    Quoted from DefDumBlindKid:

First room filled...

A Big Bang Bar? Ok, now you are just showing off! LOL. Excellent selection.

Any chance your are an original owner of BBB?

#10671 5 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

Hey Pinsiders. It's been 4+ years since I posted here and, since I just cleaned up the game room, thought I'd post some pictures.

Very nice! I assume you did some electrical upgrades to play all those at once? Details?

#10681 5 years ago
    Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

Love to see more of that Freedom!

Minor thread derail. Would have sent via PM, but couldn't send a pic! $350 barn find (well, pole barn find).

Back to the regularly scheduled thread. LOL

20180426_203422 (resized).jpg20180426_203422 (resized).jpg

#10686 5 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

Put the new carpet down tonight. It's insane. The stars look like they're hovering above the carpet. No idea it would have that 3d effect.

VERY nice GL. Don't forget to send some pics with the pins in there!

#10690 5 years ago
    Quoted from swillie:

Looks really cool. My basement vinyl planks are nice, but I wonder if I can just get an area rug in a pattern like this for my small gameroom. Needs that fun arcade vibe, the pins do a good job of that but every gameroom I see with blacklight carpet looks so inviting.

I was thinking along the sames lines, but maybe a runner instead.

#10694 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I found the same pattern in tiles on amazon. 4 tiles for $250usd with free shipping for fellow Americans. Would do a 12' × 3' runner perfectly.

Hey dirk, what did you search for on Amazon? I tried a few terms but never found results close.

#10705 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I'm bad at links but searched neon carpet. Joy carpets came up lots. Was trying to find a canadian supplier but everything kept coming up American.
    Try joy carpet neon on amazon.

Thanks Dirk!

2 weeks later
    #10803 5 years ago

Waldo,

The 'Now Showing' sign...is that actually a flat screen TV mounted in the frame?

#10811 5 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Put together a new sign for the game room and hung it on the stairs leading down.

Add a couple of pinball flippers to that!

#10817 5 years ago

RetroGamer,

Hmmm...AFM in the last two pics?

#10844 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Update. Pulled New wire 200 feet. Almost done getting new panel and switches set up. Then it’s SHOWTIME!

Might not be a bad idea to install a whole house surge protector in the box while you are at. Some just snap into a spare breaker slot (ideally next to the feed).

#10847 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Both Now Showing and Coming Soon marquees are flat panel TV’s mounted in a frame.

Thanks Waldo,

Custom, or did you find that somewhere?

#10878 5 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

Some amazing game rooms in this thread! And its about time I showed my small project. Details can be seen in this thread of the build.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcadehome-addtion-build-out
    And while turning on the games with voice is pretty cool, I opted for another way to do it. I'm just not fond of Alexa listening all the time.

You need a 'Warp Drive' button!

3 weeks later
    #10921 5 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

OK so the full thread on building this I just put up here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/project-apollo-the-pinball-assembly-room
    but here are some pics of the final product:

Well, I guess it'll do in pinch... Seriously tho, very nice!!

Just a thought, you might want to put some UV blocker on the doors (if you haven't already) to keep cabinet fade down from the sun.

I actually painted my wall for the projector screen, then framed it with 1x4's covered in velveteen. Turned out better than I could have imagined. There was a AV site that had the idea of "This is what an excellent/expensive screen looks like.", then they tried to find the paint that most correctly match the performance at a very reasonable price.
    projector_screen (resized).jpgprojector_screen (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
    #11070 5 years ago
    Quoted from VillaThrills:

Those with an arcade and theater room...is it worth it for parties or would you rather have the space for more games?...

You need the theater room to watch videos of the next pinball machine your going to buy...

2 weeks later
    #11158 5 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Normally it wouldnt be an issue but with a $3400 mortgage...... Not as much "FU" money as I had previously. I'll get some cheap arcades over the next few months then consolidate them into a new pin or two as things progress.

Last time I was in Leesburg was the 80's. All I remembered was a sleepy, quaint little town in VA with an old theater somewhere 'downtown'. Then decades later I saw an article or whatnot...wow, what a change! Didn't even recognize it.

#11186 5 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

Finally finished our basement this year and the builder took some great photos of it:

Wow, great pins a killer decor. How many acres in the basement? I would have never thought of getting blue countertop.

#11197 5 years ago
    Quoted from RTR:

Thanks guys, we worked hard on this project! Wife picked the blue countertops with everyone scratching their heads until it was installed, now she's a genius!
    The brick is actual brick. The wall behind the pins was a cement basement wall. They built a 2x4 wall right up against it and then bricked it up. The brick wall where the TV is just went up against the existing wall. We wanted to feel like we were someplace else when we are in the basement, now it feels like a real bar!

How many sq. ft.? Looks huge!

#11216 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I might be buying a new house, so I might be saying goodbye to my basement arcade... Pretty much all of it. I think I'll be able to keep 8 pins, a jukebox or two, and maybe a video game.
    Here are some "reminisce" photos from aboot two years ago.....

Don't downsize the next basement (or is it too late?)! I bet some fond memories down there.

#11234 5 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Among other things, I have several old phones in my game room in various spots. They're all connected to a Western Electric 30 station switchboard which can link any or all of them together. Switchboard was removed from a motel back in the 60's and sat for years. I found it at an estate sale...took a bit of research, but I managed to get it up and running perfectly. Fun project.
    [quoted image]

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

Is this your better half?

1 month later
    #11459 5 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Whole house generator is really good to have if you have seen power outages on occasion. Otherwise, a battery-backup secondary sump pump could work in a power outage event. However, usually when the power goes out, the rain is very excessive, so you're limited to the capacity of a battery powered pump (usually not a lot of flow compared to a 3/4 HP sump). And, you need to change the battery every two years to keep it holding a normal charge.
    I'd vote whole-house generator in a flooded basement scenario. And at least one additional pump.
    I even had a secondary 3/4 HP pump in my sump well above the existing 3/4 HP pump as an overflow safeguard. That was in Illinois.

Slight thread derail...I did this too. Whole house 16KW Generac in case we are gone. Had a plug in generator, but if no one is home...doesn't do much good. Two completely separate sumps just to be redundant, plus one is a combo with an additional battery backup. Two sump pump drains, going to different places outside. Even separate breakers for both, along with some serious aftermarket water level switches. Plus everything is tied into a smarthome setup and let's me know the status of when they run. And I don't have a very active sump pit! Finished the basement a number a years ago, so it was time to protect it. Even if all that fails, I bought federal flood ins., at the preferred rate since we are not in a flood zone.

#11460 5 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

A house with a basement 30 feet down ... nice and cool rear round

Say what??? 30 feet down? That needs some explaining, unless its the real Batman Bat Cave - then never mind, don't want to spoil your cover.

#11470 5 years ago
    Quoted from RYSR:

Warning! after 2 claims they move you out of the Preferred rate, It happened to me. I made a claim for cleanup of a couple of inches of water in the basement due to rising ground water, they paid around $2k. Then Hurricane Irene flooded whole basement and a foot and a half on the ground level. They paid $25k to repair and replace that damage. At first I was paying around $400 a year for coverage. After the second claim they said the preferred price is over for the home, even for any new owners. Now the coverage costs close to $3k a year. If I knew that in advance I would have never made the first claim.

Thanks RSYR,

Didn't know that. I really just got it since it was a new addition out in the country and some dirt was moved around...just in case something went haywire w/the grading. Could get rid of it, but it's cheap peace of mind, so I'm lazy about it. I got one of the lower coverages to minimize any losses.

Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

#11490 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Tractor garage?

Ditto, i was thinking the same. Got some before pictures?

#11519 5 years ago

I had a fair amount of a storage room filled with vintage (late 70's) stuff. Just passed it on to a friend at work. Kenwood, Yamaha, BIC, Genesis speakers, even the brutal Dynaco 400 amp with mods (seem like it weighed as much a pin)! All pretty much in pristine shape, except speakers needed reconed from age. Everything in original boxes and all had original paperwork too. It needed a good home..

#11545 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Alright I’ll share a little on here of part of my collection. I just can’t stop buying these pinballs and my collection keeps getting bigger and bigger every year.
    [quoted image]

Who's all in for a party at Pacman11's?

#11554 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

You missed the party? Aww sorry dude

Dang! Anyone got the access code for the garage door opener?

#11559 5 years ago

I'm in and he's not here! Come on over!

#11569 5 years ago
    Quoted from blue95:

I recently moved to a new house, so now I have a new bigger games room. Even had room to add Kings Of Steel to the line-up and tonight added a piece of local pinball memorabilia to the wall [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice variety in your lineup.

2 months later
    #11975 5 years ago
    Quoted from xfassa:

Just when I thought no more could possibly fit....

CV, TOM, and TOTAN...all together. Impressive.

1 week later
    #12122 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Serious question (and I know codes vary by area). Based on what I've read up on, If I wanted to throw up some walls in my basement ...I need:
    * pressure treated lumber on the bottom plate for the wall frame (optional if I want to use nails or tapcons to secure). This is so that if I should get a flood, the base is waterproof...

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think it's for a flood. At least not in my neck of the woods. It's that contact with cement can cause moisture to wick into the wood. Concrete is not waterproof and humidity (even with a vapor barrier) under the slab will work it's way up to the wood. Over time untreated wood can rot/mold.

On a related note: When we installed carpeting, we got a breathable pad that was intended for basement floors. I even used a 'smart' vapor barrier in the walls. Allows the walls to breath at the proper time of year and not other times. Of course, you can't use oil based paints (who does anymore?) then since that defeats the purpose.

Water and moisture is a pesky thing, isn't it? Maybe there's a builder on Pinside that can chime in with expert advice, as long as it doesn't derail the thread.

#12198 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

My brother is into the boating life too, he has a 43ft Black Thunder with twin 650hp Chevy 502's
    [quoted image]

Not sure if I would want to sleep on that during a long vacation...but you can get to the next hotel really quick!

1 week later
    #12240 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

For the past week I’ve turned the shed into my little pin room. Nothing elaborate but I’m extremely happy with it. A space just for me. Finished and moved the pins in today. The shed wasn’t always that untidy. The pics were during the clean out or should I say throw out.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, From zero to hero.

Is all the stuff now sitting in the yard covered up?

1 month later
    #12625 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

From November last year.[quoted image][quoted image]

That explains why I can't find any pins to buy.

#12652 5 years ago
    Quoted from amxfc3s:

My small collection
    [quoted image]

For going 'small' you sure picked some good ones...

1 year later
    #14961 3 years ago

Been awhile since I posted the original pin room, a lot has come and left - here's the current lineup.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    9 months later
    #16741 3 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

8 amps? I’ve never heard a per machine estimate that high. But I’ll talk to the electrician when that time comes. May add more circuits.

When they wire up the panel, you might want to stick in a whole house surge suppressor. They make some that simply are placed in the first breaker spot.

#16744 3 years ago
    Quoted from JimWilks:

I believe the new NEC makes this type of protection mandatory.

Probably a good idea given it's hard to plug anything in nowadays that doesn't have sensitive electronics of some sort inside.

We built our house 10 years ago and it was after the fact I installed two of them.

With the main beaker box in the garage, I had to install at the bottom since I didn't want to rewire the entire breaker box. I understand transients and physically what's involved with them (rise times, wavelengths, lead inductance, etc.), so a little iffy how effective that one is. I have suppressors at most the important outlets, so it's really just more part of a redundant system. But I do like the fact that it's right at the house feed, regardless of the less than ideal breaker spot. There's a secondary breaker box in the basement that the other one was installed in. That was a lot easier to scoot down a few breakers and install the suppressor at the top and keep the ground wire short.

Sorry for a sidebar in the thread. Just tossed it out for anyone wiring up their rooms.

#16773 3 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Not a game room...yet
    [quoted image]

It only takes one pin to make it a game room...

2 months later
    #17282 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

Yes.

I do have two stories to my house. This is ground level. The only room my wife said I can have.

Not the living room. Just a extra room.

That wall above the pins is just begging for a projector screen. I actually painted my screen, people can't tell it's just paint.

1 month later
    #17468 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mikespinball:

My wife and I are building a new home. She designed the main floor and I get the daylight basement. Very large game room and work area for the machines. It's been over a year in the works and finely under construction. Very excited!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Rev A:

1 year later
    #20531 1 year ago

I've posted the lineup a few times, mostly after things changed a lot - but that still gets old. Figured I'd something try different: Before and after (aka 'boring', then 'not boring').

Boring:

Not boring:

1 month later
    #20697 1 year ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

Projector but it is time for a new one. Anyone have any suggestions on a mid/upper end projectior?
    [quoted image]

Epson 3800. Or maybe the 3200 - no speakers, but more importantly, slightly less contrast than the 3800. Lens shifts, 4K, 18G HDMI, HDR10, etc.

Just up upgraded from a Epson 8350. 4K is nice, but I almost think the HDR10 is more important for the eye candy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.