Topic Stats

• 23,810 posts
  • 2,343 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by KING-HENRY
  • Topic is favorited by 1,119 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F6EBFC34-48FD-435B-AB3B-4A5273C6510A (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0026 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20240407_103947 (resized).jpg
    B9FFAD34-18DF-4AB2-888B-E1CD25FD4525 (resized).jpeg
    1 (resized).jpg
    20240406_184918 (resized).jpg
    20240406_184903 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0559 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0553 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1216 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1211 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1212 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3597 9 years ago

You guys/gals have some really great game rooms. Sadly, mine is a partially finished basement with only one machine and a tiny little plasma hung on the wall. But.....my wife and I are looking for a bigger house and my requirements are a big a$$ finished basement and a garage that can hold two cars and two motorcycles. She gets to pick the rest of the house.

I want more machines, but she won't let me buy anymore until after we move.

1 week later
    #3617 9 years ago

I don't have time to post all the details right now, but an unRAID server steaming to an NUC running Kodi attached to a touch screen would definitely work. It wouldn't be too expensive either. I have a 12TB server in my basement serving all my media (TV Shows, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc).

I'll try and get some time later to point you in the right direction.

#3622 9 years ago
    Quoted from Andretti:

I'd really appreciate the insight to what it'd take if you have the time at some point.

Andretti

Hi Andretti. My storage is handled by a box I built running a Linux based distro called unRAID by Lime Technology. It runs off a flash drive and basically acts as a huge file server and includes parity in the case of drive failure. It's a lot different than most storage solutions as the hardware requirements are very light (depending on what else you want to do) and it's very inexpensive.

http://lime-technology.com/registrationkeys/

As you fill up the server, you just add more drives and keep on going. It's a rock solid platform once configured.

The software is free to use for up to 3 drives, and costs $29 for 4 devices, $69 for 8 devices and $119 for up to 25 devices. A device is defined as either a hard drive, cache drive or parity drive. The free (trial) version does not support a parity drive, which is highly recommended.

Hardware is pretty straight forward and doesn't require much depending on what you want it to do. I have mine doing a bunch of other stuff, but if you're just looking for file storage you can get away with building something pretty cheap.

With the file server in place, you'll want to move on to the computer you'll actually be streaming the media to (pictures, TV Shows, Movies, Music, etc). For this, I would recommend something like an Intel NUC or a Gigabyte Brix. They are very small and easy to hide. Here is an example of an Intel NUC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102053&cm_re=Intel_NUC-_-56-102-053-_-Product

You would purchase the NUC, a SSD for storage and some RAM. That's the device that would connect to whatever display you decided to use.

The actual interface would be handled by software named Kodi (formerly XBMC). It's an open source platform and I've used it for years.

http://kodi.tv/about/

The actual interface can be controlled with either a remote, iPad, Android or iPhone. The only thing I haven't tested, is controlling the Kodi software with a touch screen monitor. It is reported to work, but I can't say that with 100% certainty since I haven't done it myself. You can control it with an iPad, so if you wanted to install an iPad in the wall and use that to control the interface, that would be one option.

It might sound like a lot to wrap your hear around right out of the gate, but once set up, it's self sufficient. The entire package could probably be done easily for under $1,500 and probably closer to $1,000. The nice thing is that you can then add NUCs other places in the house. I have one at each of my TVs. You can even go so far as to have a SQL database running on the server that remembers watched status for different users. There is also usenet integration if you want to have it automatically download, rename and catalog all your TV shows.....but that's for another day.

#3652 9 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

Why am I the only one freakin' out over the fact that someone has a real live The Big Lebowski sitting in a private collection???

I saw that too and was really confused....

2 months later
    #4086 8 years ago

My house goes on the market in the next week and my wife and I are buying something big enough that I can actually have a game room. We came to the agreement that I get entire reign over the basement and she can have the rest of the house.

My plan, depending on the layout of the new house, is for most of it to be a game room, part of it to be a media room and a little section to be the fish room for the reef tank. I really want a basement sump for the tank.

Anyway, hopefully in the next few months I'll be able to post up pictures of my game room!

1 month later
    #4461 8 years ago

Right now I have a very small house with an even smaller basement and two lonely pinball machines. But.....We just signed a contract on a house with a huge basement. It's unfinished, but hopefully shortly after closing I'll have someone in to finish it for me. For now, I'll be using the second first floor bedroom for the two machines. There are two other bedrooms upstairs, but I have no intention of dragging them up there.

I'm so excited. Add the basement to the 3 car garage and I'm going to be in heaven!

#4465 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Make sure and show us plenty of pics of you finishing your basement/game room !!

I definitely will. I'm not sure when it will start, but I'm hoping within the next few months. We don't close until July 29th, so it will be awhile before we can even get in the house.

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Sounds great...so how big is the gameroom gonna be. How big is huge?

That depends on how much I have finished and how I allocate the space. I'm planning on a media room, a game room and a fish room. I currently have a small reef tank and want to go bigger. I'll be relocating the tank's life support system to the basement and want it consolidated in one room where I can house all the equipment. The basement is already plumbed for a full bath, so that will take some space.

The house has 1978 sqft of below grade, unfinished space so I definitely have some room to work with!!

1 month later
    #4716 8 years ago

We finally moved into our new house and I'm using one of the small rooms on the first floor as my temporary game room until my basement gets finished, although I have no clue when that will be.

But for now, here is my room. I just got everything set up last night but still need to level the machines. I need some stuff on the walls, but I'm waiting for my contractor to get back to me with pricing for the basement. If it's in my budget, then there isn't any need to do anything else.

There is room for 2 more.

20259030616_ac4c09e572_k.jpg20259030616_ac4c09e572_k.jpg

20097295658_b286f4d56d_k.jpg20097295658_b286f4d56d_k.jpg

#4719 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

So how big is your basement?

A little over 1,900sq ft.

Ignore the center room that says Bar under the steps. It's actually the unfinished part, but I forgot to change the name. There has been a revision to the bar since I made that plan. I'm going to bring the bar out into the game room a few feet to tie the rooms together. My contractor is supposed to be getting my a price on Friday, so I'll know more then. I'm not sure if I want to tackle such a big project myself. I'm "alright" around the house, but my dad offered to help and he's done just about everything.

Game Room Plan.pngGame Room Plan.png

#4723 8 years ago
    Quoted from the_one:

But having 1900 sqft. for only 3 pins isn't that little bit to luxurious?

I need room to grow!

3 months later
    #5400 8 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I am redoing my basement now and have a question about power. lets say you have a 30 foot wall that you want to place pins against. How may outlets do you have and and what spacing?

Excellent question. I'm finishing my basement right now too and am almost done with the framing. I've been trying to determine my electrical layout and haven't decide how to wire up the pins. I've read that you're only supposed to run 4 pins off a single 20 amp circuit, which would be a ton of 20 amp circuits for the space I have laid out. Everything is jammed into a spare bedroom right now and I'm pretty sure all 6 pins, along with my popcorn machine are running off the same circuit. I think the lights in the adjoining bathroom are on the same one too because they dim when I have a bunch of people over playing.

Anyway, is that what everyone is doing that has large collections, 4 pins per 20 amp circuit? So basically I need one circuit for every two outlets?

Quoted from ramegoom:

and added 15 circuits to the room, 15 amp breakers, and somewhere between 8-12 outlets per breaker.

How many pins do you run per circuit? I was also considering adding outlets up high (or at least running the wire in the wall in case I need it later for signs, TV, etc. Are those on a separate circuit?

I'm going to run out of room in my panel real quick when I combine the machines, the Home Theater and the life support system for the fish tank.

#5404 8 years ago
    Quoted from planters49:

I have 8 20 amp circuits, 12 gauge wire, 3 outlets per circuit.

Would it be safe to assume that you're running 6 games per circuit on those 3 outlets?

I was leaning towards wiring for 6 games per 20 amp circuit. I can go with double pole 15 amp breakers for lighting if I start to run low on spots in the panel.

4 weeks later
    #5586 8 years ago
    Quoted from thall17:

Ok along those lines of trying to find more space for pins, please add your comments

If you knock out that wall over there to the left......

#5650 8 years ago

I'd love to throw some of these strips up inside of some crown molding in my game room, but there are 3 windows that would interfere with the crown so I wouldn't be able to wrap the entire room.

1 week later
    #5697 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

From a few weeks ago

Im pretty sure that's the back of my head in one of those shots.

That game I had on TOTAN was a blast!!!

1 week later
    #5764 8 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I am going for a lounge/bar room with a reef aquarium, home theater, and a large room for pins and pool.

Sounds exactly like my basement, which is currently under construction but much further behind than yours.

How big of a reef tank? I have a 55g in my living room currently, but the basement is provisioned for an 8' tank with a dedicated fish room for the life support system.

The sound proofing in the theater is what's holding up the wagon. I've attached enough decoupling isolators to the wall to sink a ship.

2 weeks later
    #5907 8 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Got the game room cleaned up a bit and the pins arranged last night. It will be short lived though as I am probably picking up a new game soon.
    12540540_10206971823207018_4203829047371179255_n_(resized).jpg

That carpet looks awesome! Do you have any other pictures of it?

#5927 8 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

Thanks! It is commerical black light carpet. It was an ordeal to get delivered, but I am very happy with it. Here are a few more pics with the rooms empty so you can see more of it...

Thanks for posting those. Do you have a link where you bought it?

1 month later
    #6128 8 years ago

Here is an updated picture of an extra bedroom that's serving as a temporary game room while I finish my basement. WoZ is sitting in the dining room for now since I ran out of room.

Temp_Gameroom_(resized).jpgTemp_Gameroom_(resized).jpg

Here is the game room I'm building in the basement. It just needs insulation and return HVAC ducts and then it's ready for drywall. You can see part of the bar / pool table area on the left. Around the side of the bar is a bathroom and right past that, I'm building a theater. The cool thing is that prior to starting this project, I had never even cut a 2x4 in half. I'm doing everything myself except for the drywall. I paid $100 for some streaming "how to finish your basement" videos and learned everything from those. My dad has been helping me every weekend for the last few months.

Basement_Gameroom_(resized).jpgBasement_Gameroom_(resized).jpg

#6130 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks great, more pictures as you go.

Thanks! I was thinking of starting a build thread so I don't clutter up this thread.

#6143 8 years ago

Thanks! It's a lot of fun too....well, most of the time it's fun. Other times I want to scream.

I just tapped into the main HVAC feed trunk and pulled off that. The feeds were easy, it's the returns that are going to be tough. There isn't much space to tap in to the return. I can make it work, but the problem is going to be keeping the duct out of the way. The guy in the video said that you pull HVAC wherever you can get it.

I started a build thread if anyone is interested.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-build-thread

3 months later
    #6676 7 years ago

Although I have a build thread for my basement, I want to jump in on this one too.

Here is my current Game Room which is actually our 4th bedroom. It's full, so my WoZ is actually in the dining room.

IMG_9988_(resized).JPGIMG_9988_(resized).JPG

Here is my future Game Room (46' x 17') which is currently in construction. Drywall should be done tomorrow and then it's on to paint.

IMG_0392_(resized).JPGIMG_0392_(resized).JPG

#6699 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I definitely want to know how quickly that fills up.

It's going to be awhile unfortunately. My wallet is going to need some recovery time after finishing the basement. I still have to buy all the electronics for the theater, flooring, lighting, solid surfaces, cabinets and the list goes on and on.

Hopefully someday, I'll actually be able to add another game to my collection. It seems like forever since I bought one.

#6742 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Last tease pic to share before the paint/carpet.

Could you post the name / brand of both the black and gray colors? How is the black? I've been considering a black ceiling / gray wall combination so I really like your choice.

#6765 7 years ago
    Quoted from PureTO:

It's small... But is mine!
    Oh.. Same goes for game room.

Cute kitty.

2 weeks later
    #6896 7 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

okay, done lurking:

I love the rug! Oh, and nice machines too.

4 weeks later
    #7179 7 years ago

Question for people that have their ceilings painted black.

Are you happy with it, or does it look weird?

I'm on the fence with painting it black or just going with a standard white. The bar / lounge / pool table area of my basement is adjacent to the game room and I'm not sure if it would look stupid having the game room ceiling black and the rest of the basement a more normal color.

It's really open between the two areas.

#7181 7 years ago

The ceiling is 7' 9" high and is sheetrock.

1 week later
    #7266 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryno:

Anyways, just thought I would post this, if for nothing else other than to remind me just when I started all this madness (and maybe even to document it along the way if anyone is interested?). I will succeed of fail right here on this thread. Ha.
    Wish me luck! I will need it.
    B.

I would definitely start your own build thread. I started one awhile back when I began my basement finishing project. I love build threads!!!!

1 month later
    #7445 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Took some pictures yesterday of the gameoom.

I love that room!

I even see my name in one of pictures.

Can't wait for your next get together!

3 weeks later
    #7603 7 years ago
    Quoted from jsyjay:

Mine is a work in progress

What, no build thread?

4 weeks later
    #7735 7 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Curious... Why the 3 down votes?

I downvoted because it's an ad in a "show us your game room" thread. I think it should be in the classifieds.

1 month later
    #7911 7 years ago

Mine has paint! No machines yet, but I'm gaining on it. I need a damn floor first, but my wallet has officially gone on strike.

IMG122516024108 (resized).jpegIMG122516024108 (resized).jpegIMG122716105842 (resized).jpegIMG122716105842 (resized).jpeg

#7913 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Looks like a nice size.

Thanks. The game room is 45' x 16.5', so I should be able to get a few games in there.

3 months later
    #8346 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Maybe 4, and if there's an inch too many, that light maybe could go

That's the first thing I thought of too....moving the light.

#8354 7 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

This is soon to be my new game room! I'll have room for 12 machines. Complete with a bar! We close on 4/11 and move in 4/14

Nice shack ya' got there.

Looks beautiful. I love the floors.

1 week later
    #8420 7 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

In the middle of a garage remodel, but have all the pins back in! 3 weeks pinless is not a good time. Some before/during and afters. Mechanically polished garage floor, mud/taped, primed, painted, barn wooded, new lights, trim. Probably a few other things I forgot.

I love what you did with the ends of the accent wall where the wood is broken. Excellent idea!

Quoted from Boomer71:

LOVE those pin covers. Did you do those your self?

I might be able to help with this one. I had some custom movie posters printed for my theater to hide acoustical treatments. I had them done my www.myfabricdesigns.com

You just upload your image, choose your material and punch in your credit card number. They do great work.

1 month later
    #8639 6 years ago
    Quoted from FtrMech:

When I finished my basement I wanted a European Pub/Stube theme...so lots of oak...Pub on one side, pinball on the other...pinball is gradually encroaching on the pub

How far is the fridge from the tap? Is it close enough not to cause an issue or are you running a Glycol system? By the way, beautiful basement!

2 weeks later
    #8679 6 years ago

The first picture is my current game room (WoZ is in the dining room) and the second picture is my "yet to be finished" game room. Hopefully soon...

IMG_4385 (resized).JPGIMG_4385 (resized).JPG

IMG_2609 (resized).JPGIMG_2609 (resized).JPG

#8706 6 years ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Amen, man. If anyone ever starts a "Post pics of the corner of the living room where you keep your machines" thread, I'm gonna be the belle of that ball.

Lets see it!

Any place you can play pinball works for me.

2 weeks later
    #8819 6 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I'm dizzy now after watching that video and the fast camera work....haha! Great game room

I couldn't watch the entire thing, but I really wanted to. I started to get nauseous.

3 weeks later
    #8939 6 years ago
    Quoted from Goalie:

basement is finished and the babies have a new home. Now i need to decorate the walls.

Can I ask what chairs those are and how much you paid? I need some for my theater, but only two rows of 3.

3 weeks later
    #8972 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Easy, tell her she can have the rest of the house to do with as she pleases but you get the gameroom and garage.

That's exactly what I did when we bought our house. I get the basement and the garage, she gets the rest of the house.

2 months later
    #9597 6 years ago
    Quoted from VectorGamer:

Mine's only 12x15. I will post pix soon

Sooooo......

1 month later
    #9761 6 years ago
    Quoted from BubbaBeast:

I'm planning on finishing my basement and you guys are all giving me great ideas. Some really amazing gamerooms on this thread! My poor wallet...

If you go all out like I am, your wallet will hate you for it. My wallet on strike for awhile, but after a rest period, I'm ready to get hammering away again.

Make sure you start a thread and document your build. Those are my favorite.

1 week later
    #9836 6 years ago
    Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

I guess compared to other rooms on here I will call mine the mini game room. here is a picture of about half, need to put stuff in the other half.
    My wife made the light fixture from black pipe and fittings. you can not tell, but the light bulbs are those Edison style led bulbs. she has some skinny bulbs that look like old time radio and tv tubes, we went with just the round ones here.

I love the pipe light fixtures. That was my lighting choice in my game room as well.

#9912 6 years ago
    Quoted from HD_Fatboy:

Took a while to hang it, there are three pieces of pipe going through the tile, and screwed into the top side of the flanges, had fun lining all that up. Be sure to snap a picture of yours when completed.

I have some in my game room / theater / bar build thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-build-thread/page/5#post-4106387

1 month later
    #10332 6 years ago

My wife had a party last week with a bunch of her girlfriends. They all decided to play pinball so my wife sent me a picture while I was stuck at work.

My kind of pinball party too.

IMG_6894 (resized).JPGIMG_6894 (resized).JPG

1 month later
    #10700 5 years ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Some stuff framed and mounted on the wall today.

The Avatar in that picture looks nothing like my Avatar. I'm confused.

2 months later
    #11040 5 years ago
    Quoted from VillaThrills:

Those with an arcade and theater room...is it worth it for parties or would you rather have the space for more games? Our basement is mostly social. I currently have a space marked off for a nice sized theater. Currently have 3 pinballs, driving arcade, fighting arcade, bubble hockey, professional dartboard, and pool/ping pong table. Just don’t want to jump in and find out we never use it. Thoughts?

I wouldn't trade my theater for room for more machines, but I use mine all the time. A lot of time it's just me watching a movie or playing some Xbox. You really have to determine what your use might be.

If you're on the fence, you might be able to do something similar to what others have done and put a projector and some speakers in the main room.

I decided on the dedicated theater because I'm a big movie fan.

How big is your basement and how big of a theater are you planning?

#11045 5 years ago

15' x 20' isn't a bad size. I think mine is 11.5' x 23.5'. I have enough for 2 rows of seating which takes into account 2' of space behind the AT screen.

7.5' will work depending on what you do for soundproofing, but it will be close. Mine caps out at 6' 6" when standing on the riser. My tallest friend clocks in right around 6'4", so there is some space.

Keep in mind I lost ~ 2.5" for the clips / channel / DD, another ~2" for the subfloor and the ~10" for the riser. If you aren't doing all that, you won't lose as much space.

2 weeks later
    #11114 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Finally got all my games in a row. I have 2 projects that will be getting added to the gameroom eventually (Laser War and Escape from the Lost World).

That's a lot of incandescent light bulbs you have there!

Looks like a great lineup.

#11116 5 years ago

I'll send you my pile of incandescent bulbs if you send me your pile of LEDs.

I keep incandescent bulbs in my EMs, but everything else is LEDs.

2 months later
    #11636 5 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Here is my game room “annex”...aka the garage. Getting it ready for Halloween for the kids to start/end their night at!
    [quoted image]

I totally thought of doing a few pins in the driveway for trick or treat and I’m not even a kid person. It sounds like fun but I’m pretty sure I’d need some beer to handle the kids.

2 weeks later
    #11783 5 years ago

This isn’t my actual game room, but I’ve consolidated some machines. I still need carpet in the official game room, so I threw them in the bar for now.

It’s cool to finally consolidate some of my games. They’ve been scattered throughout the house. I have more, but this is all I’ve set up.

1FA2462E-8DF1-4054-979A-FB93A124B717.jpeg1FA2462E-8DF1-4054-979A-FB93A124B717.jpeg

42883A3F-437A-4365-915C-EA90E58B449E.jpeg42883A3F-437A-4365-915C-EA90E58B449E.jpeg

#11787 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I followed your progress on your gameroom. Still not finished yet? I like the Leg Lights on your Walking Dead.

Nope. Not yet.

My wallet is on strike right now after buying cabinets and a new car for my wife.

#11803 5 years ago
    Quoted from airplanequartet:

This is what a game “room” looks like when you have a 1450sq ft house...
    [quoted image]

Looks good to me! My last house was 1060sq ft. I had Bad Cats in the dining room and Demolition Man and Safari in the tiny "finished" part of the basement.

#11834 5 years ago
    Quoted from tatman9999:

Added some new games. Guitar hero, juke Box , Restored TAF.

If you don’t mind me asking, what does one of those Guitar Hero stand alones cost?

Kick ass space by the way.

#11861 5 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

The slots could have made me some coin, but they need repair.

I always wondered what people did with slots in their house. I wasn’t sure if it was just for fun with some fake tokens or if people set them up to payout for real.

You don’t feel bad for taking money from your friends?

1 month later
    #11999 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lathroum:

not seen is the concession stand and movie theater area...

The theater is what I want to see!

1 week later
    #12124 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Serious question (and I know codes vary by area). Based on what I've read up on, If I wanted to throw up some walls in my basement I need:
    * pressure treated lumber on the bottom plate for the wall frame (optional if I want to use nails or tapcons to secure). This is so that if I should get a flood, the base is waterproof

Concrete is porous and allows moisture into the basement through the slab. Regular wood absorbs this moisture and over time will rot. That's the reason for pressure treated lumber on the bottom plate.

I'd go with a ramset to secure the walls to the concrete. It works just as well, is faster and more fun.

I even used the ramset to pin the walls to the basement support poles.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

* Ideally I should have an insulation barrier between studs (either fiberglass or pink foam)

I used an additional layer of insulation in all my exterior walls and all the walls in the theater, but not on any other interior walls.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

* I need a moisture barrier (IE polyurethane sheet at least 6 mil) on the outside before the drywall so in case moisture somehow gets through, it won't rot from the inside
    Assuming I don't also need a moisture barrier behind the wall (I do plan on coating every concrete wall with drylok) ?
    I'd like to get some real flooring down at least partially, and I don't want to do that until I have some real walls up. I also plan on using dricore tiles before I put down anything on the concrete floor.

The system I used didn't require or recommend either a moisture barrier or drylock. Do you have moisture problems in your basement?

Dricore is nice, but gets expensive. It does provide a great thermal break between the concrete and the floor. I did it in my theater, but not in the rest of the basement.

2 weeks later
    #12239 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

For the past week I’ve turned the shed into my little pin room. Nothing elaborate but I’m extremely happy with it. A space just for me. Finished and moved the pins in today.

Holy shit. That's the nicest shed I've ever seen. Kick ass job!

2 weeks later
    #12346 5 years ago

Temporary setup until I get carpet in the other room and can move everything over. Carpet goes where you see WoZ and all the games on the side wall move over to that room.

Maybe I'll be done someday.... I still need carpet, granite and some finishing touches.

IMG_1184.JPGIMG_1184.JPG

1 week later
    #12420 5 years ago
    Quoted from KLR2014:

Some photos of my current lineup and gameroom

Ooooohhhh. Kate Beckinsale. She’s my favorite.

Oh and nice game room too.

1 month later
    #12767 5 years ago
    Quoted from abracadabra:

Ditto... those backlit posters look great!

You can also do it with a cheap 4K TV and a compute stick. It plays the trailer for the movie displayed every once in awhile and switches as often as you want.

It’s also linked to my server, so when I start a movie, you get the “Now Playing” one that synchronizes with the time left.

3F1844F0-1F23-4CDD-BA38-6392E948DCC9 (resized).jpeg3F1844F0-1F23-4CDD-BA38-6392E948DCC9 (resized).jpeg

818DEA32-7869-49CD-A227-95A971C36D53 (resized).jpeg818DEA32-7869-49CD-A227-95A971C36D53 (resized).jpeg

19AB9121-CBE1-454F-B4EF-9B02096C061A (resized).jpeg19AB9121-CBE1-454F-B4EF-9B02096C061A (resized).jpeg

#12771 5 years ago

I haven’t tried the Pi. I went with an Asus Vivo Stick ($100) and the MoviePoster App ($10). It’s really nice in that the software has a web based configuration option. So I can control the app from any device in my house.

#12774 5 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I don’t think I will replace all 6 of my full-size backlit slim frames with TVs. But I will look into using a nice 27 inch hdmi monitor or tv outside the movie room for that cool effect. Thanks for the information

I definitely wouldn't either. I think they look great and would keep them just as they are. I was more throwing that out there for anyone considering some type of movie poster displays / boxes as an alternative.

Great space you have there by the way.

3 weeks later
    #12926 5 years ago

Just out of curiosity, don't the slots get boring if you aren't winning any money? Unless some people actually use them to take their friends money.

#12945 5 years ago
    Quoted from heni1977:

calfdemon Love the Godard art. Have a few knock off copies that look really good. And 1 real print. They cost a lot!!! Here is one since a lot of folks don't really know his art!
    [quoted image]

Wow, that's totally bad ass. I'd jump on that in a heart beat if I wasn't going a different direction with the art in my game room.

1 week later
    #13023 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

Hope I’m not boring anyone with all the progress photos, but here’s a couple more...

You definitely aren’t boring me. Looks great! Job well done.

1 week later
    #13077 5 years ago

I decided to go with a drywall ceiling. I wanted it to be more of a living space and felt that an open or drop ceiling would make it feel like a basement. I'm sure one day I'll need to punch a hole (or three) in the ceiling, but I'm willing to take that chance. Drywall can be repaired and I'm willing to risk the trade off.

My dad, who helped me finish the basement, was 100% against the drywall. Just like when I was a kid, I decided not to listen.

4 weeks later
    #13269 4 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

My game room will be on the news tonight at 7pm WMUR ABC 9 (posted online after). Not sure how much coverage I will get in the segment but they were there for over 2.5hrs.[quoted image]

/sarcasm ahead

I'm disappointed in the story. I can't believe they didn't say "Pinball Wizard" and play the music from Tommy about 10 times during the segment.

/sarcasm over

Great segment. Looks like you got a few minutes of time. Nice lineup by the way!

https://www.wmur.com/article/wednesday-may-15th-modern-gamers-play-the-classics-1558017851/27493434

#13303 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

It's been a while since I posted pictures of my game room, and I think the last time I did, it wasn't fully decorated. I still need some more stuff for the walls, but this is pretty good for now.

Do you know how much your bar top extends over the bar? Did you have to brace it underneath?

3 weeks later
    #13454 4 years ago

You could totally repaint the cabinet while taking a dump. When you're done with one side, flip it around and do the other side.

1 week later
    #13535 4 years ago
    Quoted from Flowst:

Absolutely love this thread! It is what Pinside should be all about, versus the bickering and angry opinions.
    I will post a video/pix of my game room once I am finished. Won't compare to most of you guys/gals, but WOW! you have all done an amazing job.
    Seriously, my compliments to you all
    Quick question...where can I buy some decent movie posters to adorn a corridor leading to my theater area? Google searches all come up disappointing at the moment.

Don't be shy. Mine has been a work in progress for about 3 years and I still post pictures sometimes.

I want to see the theater.

I made a digital movie poster to put on the wall leading up to my theater, but the walkway isn't very long. It's in this thread somewhere.

EDIT -> Found it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms/page/256#post-4861870

1 month later
    #13716 4 years ago
    Quoted from Red_Devils:

I know it's the wrong Enterprise for the topper but I think it's cool

I think it's the best Enterprise.

Awesome space by the way!

2 months later
    #14018 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pugsley:

Thanks for the info. Do you own the software or are you paying 250 a year for it? Right now in the US you can only subscribe to it and not buy it outright.

Ouch. I was looking at that too and I'm definitely not spending $250/year for software for my basement.

#14020 4 years ago

Not sure if anyone cares, but there are places that print on acoustically transparent fabric. You can build a frame, put damping material behind it and then cover it with the fabric. It will help with acoustically treating rooms with sound issues.

#14024 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

So I bought Version 3 in late 2017 or early 18 for around $40. I just checked their site and it doesn't look like you can buy the old standard install. Not sure why? Makes no sense. I think he is losing business opportunities now. So no, I'm not paying $250 a year, I bought the 1 time license.

I emailed them and their response was that they are no longer producing a home version and are strictly focused on professional users.

#14026 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Time to put those other softwares to test!

Definitely and I'll report back once I know more.

A friend of mine is hooking me up with a pile of music videos to use, but I think he's still cleaning his house and recovering from the weekend festivities.

1 week later
    #14071 4 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Pretty cool gift and I can't wait to set it up in the "Ice House".

Best bathroom ever......Seriously.

1 month later
    #14338 4 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

What did you use for vapor barrier?

Sometimes a vapor barrier isn’t required. You need to do a moisture test on the concrete and then check with the manufacturer of the flooring to determine if a vapor barrier is needed. In my case, the test back back well below the manufacturers maximum.

At that point they advised against a vapor barrier.

I would assume his contractor did the test before putting the flooring down.

1 month later
    #14649 4 years ago

Here is mine.

Automated water changes and a dosing setup.

24D47D07-C98A-40C7-86D7-5E808FE14936 (resized).jpeg24D47D07-C98A-40C7-86D7-5E808FE14936 (resized).jpeg
    3 months later
    #15183 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

Here is our gameroom!

Looks like you belong in the Cats and Pinballs thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cats-and-pinballs-/

2 months later
    #15551 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

Few additions and subtractions to the lineup.

Interesting idea lining the walls of the rack room with Linacoustic. I have a decent amount left from my theater build just taking up space. I didn't do drywall in the rack room, so I'm not sure how effective it would be just on the studs. I do like the idea though of knocking down some of the sound from the rack and the HVAC system.

Beautiful theater by the way. I'm embarrassed to show mine after seeing yours.

Did you build it yourself?

2 months later
    #15911 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Apps look the business, but they all seem to rely on spotify. that's OK, seems i only have to have a monthly sub, but everyone who is here has to download the app, i don't want to give my password to the wifi out at parties if they haven't got datta and i don't want people left out.
    Can you guys tell me a link or discuss here if that's ok your experiences with this stuff?

I'm working on something like this right now too, only with Music Videos stored locally on one of my servers. djreddog has software that allows people to choose songs, but I think they stopped selling to the consumer market and only sell it to DJs at a crazy expensive price. He was looking into a replacement at one point, but I'm not sure if he found anything or not. I haven't gotten a chance to talk to him in awhile.

I've been playing with Media Monkey recently which seems alright, but not perfect (at least for video). If I find something good, I'll definitely let you know and please do the same if you run across something that works well.

#15956 3 years ago

This is the first time all my games have been together. Just got the carpet in the other day and my buddy spent a few hours last night and then this afternoon helping me move games around.

My basement is really close to being finished. Just some granite and a door to the theater.

6C1F14D6-A268-46C7-8018-372B8BEF6908 (resized).jpeg6C1F14D6-A268-46C7-8018-372B8BEF6908 (resized).jpeg

F8ED2894-DE4E-403B-ABC3-9582DA8CF9E5 (resized).jpegF8ED2894-DE4E-403B-ABC3-9582DA8CF9E5 (resized).jpeg

0A44B258-C12F-4881-B2C5-F1B7D8FAD129 (resized).jpeg0A44B258-C12F-4881-B2C5-F1B7D8FAD129 (resized).jpeg

#15969 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Tell us more about those light fixtures please...
    Looks great!

Thanks!

I had thought about making them since they are just galvanized pipe, but it would have probably taken me about 25 trips to Home Depot, so I decided to just buy them. I got them from a small company in Utah.

I have a few pictures of them in my build thread too.

https://haddockindustrial.com/black-pipe-wall-sconce-or-ceiling-fixture-industrial-lighting-steampunk-light/

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/game-room-build-thread/page/5#post-4106387

1 week later
    #16004 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

new addition to the gameroom today
    [quoted image]

I'm not even going to ask about the guy with his pants around his ankles.....

2 weeks later
    #16145 3 years ago

ramegoom made some great points.

I just wanted to echo a few of them and add my input. You'll want to think ahead before you start closing up walls. One big thing to remember is that wire is cheap so while you have the walls open run everything you can think of running. I pulled 1 x HDMI, 3 x CAT 6 and 1 x 3.5mm to each of my TV locations. I have a distributed audio / video solution in my rack, so everything is centralized.

I pulled CAT 6 to 5 other locations for VSC (Volume Source Controls) and wall mounted tablets. Keep in mind, that if you never use them who cares. You can get 1000' of CAT 6 for $160 and just leave it in the wall so it's there just in case.

I also ran speaker wires to multiple locations in the basement where I wanted to put speakers for distributed audio.

Outlets up high are a great idea for something like a RunDMD clock, or a back lit translight. I didn't raise my outlets for the machines, but I was still able to get the power cables tied up. I left them standard height for if/when I sell. Also, try to think of outlets in unusual places where you might need them later. Such as an LEDs strip to highlight crown molding, the underside of a bar, etc.

I have two rows of lights that I set more towards the center of the room to reduce the glare. I put each side on its own switch so I could turn one side on and not disrupt play as much on the other. To be honest, when you turn on 22 games and 5 TVs, you really don't need much more lighting.

I'd also go 20a for the circuits. I have 1 circuit for every 4 games, if I remember correctly. If you're hanging TVs, it's a piece of cake to throw in some blocking where you're going to hang the TV. That way you don't have to find the studs when you go to attach the mount.

If you're closing up the ceiling, take tons of pictures. When you think you've taken enough, take more. That way if something happens, you know right were to cut the ceiling out to fix the issue. I also did that for my walls, just in case something crazy happens and I need to get in there for some reason.

4 weeks later
    #16341 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tigger:

Just added a digital movie poster to the barcade!

Are you running the Movie Poster App on a PC? If so, be aware that there are reports of it not working with anything newer than Windows 10 v1909. From what I've read, the developer tragically lost his 4 year old daughter, so I don't suspect you'll see him for a long time, or perhaps never. I have updates disabled on mine so I don't have to worry.

#16342 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tigger:

39" lcd $100
    Stick pc $150
    Wireless keyboard $60

I initially tried it with a Asus VivoStick, but ran out of space because I wanted to use the trailers functionality. It also just didn't have the power necessary to play HD trailers. I swapped it out with a PC I built from parts I tested for NewEgg and threw it in my rack. The VivoStick was great for posters, but sucked for trailers.

You'll want a portrait mount for the TV too. This is the one I used.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24268

3 weeks later
    #16565 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

I really respect people who can do things like finish a basement themselves. I wish I had more skills like that.

When we bought our house it had an unfinished basement. I had absolutely no home improvement or building skills. I had honestly never even cut a 2x4 in half. I paid $99 for an online course that walked you though everything. What tools to buy, framing, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc.

I spent days with a pen and paper taking notes and watching videos.

Let’s just say it worked. I paid an electrician to wire up the breaker box and my dad and I did the rest. Even built a theater.

You can do it if you put your mind to it. I probably saved $20,000 doing it myself, if not more.

http://basementfinishinguniversity.com/

1 month later
    #16911 3 years ago
    Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

We have recently finished the Game Room Build! It took about 7 months. It is finally at a place that I can post pictures

Any details on the hardware you used for building that rig?

#16930 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I also gave up on trying to take pics and was playing around with the 4K settings on my phone and made this:

Just when I thought there couldn't possibly be anymore, there were more. Kick ass!

#16960 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Damn I was thinking about that .At least the shower is a straight shot 1 elbow .Thanks for the tip

If I can also make a recommendation. The PEX should be going through the center of the 2x4. You have yours really biased to one side. I can see a drywall screw going right into it.

I'd at least put up some metal blocking plates to protect them from puncture.

#16967 3 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m hanging the drywall also and mudding.I’m just working by myself so speed is everything if I want to have time for a couple games at night :)But that is a good idea for whomever buys this house when we’re done with it .I have a 2nd kitchen going on back side of that bathroom things got hectic on that wall .Thanks for the tips though

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade or anything. I just didn't want to see someone plow a 2" drywall screw right through your PEX.

#16987 3 years ago

I ran all the electric for my basement myself, but I paid a certified electrician to come in, inspect my work and then terminate it in the panel box.

2 weeks later
    #17116 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Soliciting suggestions on how to get my contractor to get his ass in gear. We have been living in 3 tiny rooms in a 4,000 sq ft house for exactly 1 YEAR as of this coming Wednesday. How do I flog this guy legally

If you're running into issues now, I'd be searching elsewhere. It sounds like it just isn't going to get any better.

#17121 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The most frustrating thing is I HAVENT paid him for a lot of the work! I didn’t pay him a dime for 6 months until we got our initial inspection approved, and now I’ve got about $80,000 due him to finish the project, and it’s just the slowest work ever.

You definitely have the upper hand on that one. And with it being $80k, I'd spend a few hundred to talk to an attorney.

3 months later
    #17700 2 years ago

Wait, back up the truck. How did you get your hands on a 3090 GPU?

You’re mining with that when you’re not gaming right? That thing should bring in about $210/month.

1 week later
    #17743 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Have been putting the finishing touches on the Entertainment Bunker... have some pins leaving and coming, and the SuperChexx is in line to get the Toughyn treatment . But, decorating, etc is about 90% finished.

Can I ask if you have brackets under the granite? If not, what's your overhang?

2 months later
    #18069 2 years ago
    Quoted from scootss:

Is that projector facing into the next room? Care to share a pic? In the early stages of a home theater design and looking for inspiration

If you're bored, I did an entire thread on my basement build which includes my theater. It might give you some ideas. I built it myself after probably a few hundred hours of research and phone calls, so I'm more than happy to offer whatever expertise I have in the area.

228cd69e45dc8a6f2d87e7b39ef99f8d8ef69c8b (resized).jpg228cd69e45dc8a6f2d87e7b39ef99f8d8ef69c8b (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
    #18141 2 years ago
    Quoted from ShrimpPimp:

We've added a few pins over the past few months, but we're not done yet. Waiting on Iron Maiden Premium pin and a Jurassic Park Arcade sit down two player game to arrive this month. They are going in what used to be the exercise room located adjacent to the cigar room. Still have a few more items to hang on the walls but it's coming together.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wait, you’re not who I think you are, are you? Based on your screen name and the LRS logo on the back, I’m pretty sure we’ve spoke on the phone before.

I have one of yours shirts you sent me a few years back. I still wear it.

1 month later
    #18491 2 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

Thank you. When you say "depth" do you mean the distance I have back there between the lower bar, (prep area), and the wall? I'll measure tonight and post here. I'm the bartender, another hobby, and so far I haven't redone my bathroom on that floor of the house. I'll prolly just paint and decorate it accordingly when I get the time.
    [quoted image]
    These pics make it look longer and narrower than it actually is. The room is 20'x22' with the pins along the 22' side.

What kind of counter is on the lower bar?

Beautiful space by the way.

#18494 2 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

Thank you. It’s called Laminam. It’s a ceramic surface.
    https://www.laminam.com/en/

Is that similar in price to something like granite?

2 weeks later
    #18633 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

Semi video game related. Wife had these custom made for me. Brewing a heifweisen and Irish Red this weekend. Already made a christmas wheat beer ahead of the season not pictured.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I’d love to see how you handle the backend of that many taps.

#18640 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinwiz1985:

What do you mean exactly? Cleanup? Sleeping off fhe hangover?

Sorry. I meant how do you keep 16 barrels and their line sets cold?

1 month later
    #18842 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks! We have a little cottage up north and keep some pins there. It’s mostly all knotty pine.

A few months ago, with all that wood, you could have made a fortune by parting out your house.

1 week later
    #18884 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Current line up.

Nice lineup! If you ever want to sell Flash Gordon and happen to be driving through Pennsylvania with it in the trunk, let me know.

1 week later
    #18955 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bos98:

A little Game Room update. Sold some and picked up a couple of new games and then felt compelled to rearrange most of the lineup. Then we had a good 2 hours of 4 player family fun tonight!

Is that projector the Epson UB5040? If so, I have the same one in my theater and love it. I found some incredible settings online for Bluray and 4K that you might be interested in trying out.

1 month later
    #19489 2 years ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

Gameroom construction. Anyone care to offer suggestions on how to save this disaster before I have it all ripped out? This is not how you box in duct work.

Does this help visualize what you need to do? I don't have a straight on picture, but it will help. You can see my soffit at the top left of the picture. You just need another 2 x 4 at the bottom to create essentially a ladder. One of those goes at each side of the duct work and then just connect them with a 2 x 4.

On a side note, you might want to start a build thread so people can offer assistance and it doesn't get jumbled up with the rest of the posts. My Dad and I finished my entire basement, so I'm more than happy to help.

Edit -> This guy does a great job of explaining things. I actually spent the $100 for his training videos before I started doing mine. It was worth 10x that amount. He does everything and shows you how to do it from start to finish assuming that you don't know anything. From he has on YouTube for free.

d5f7037056d889285590883ce9f9f9f1e672826c (resized).jpgd5f7037056d889285590883ce9f9f9f1e672826c (resized).jpg

#19500 2 years ago
    Quoted from phillyfan64:

That helps a lot thank you. So simple and rock solid. The way they did mine is overly complicated and flimsy. I’ll start another thread so I don’t clog up this one.

Please post a link to the thread. I love game room build threads.

#19501 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Yup! His name is Eddie Case and he has a 6 part series on basement framing.
    Best framing videos you'll find on Youtube.

Exactly. I purchased his entire basement finishing university package before I started working on mine. It was the best $100 I probably ever spent. He goes through framing, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, lighting, cabinetry, etc. I went from never even using a table saw to finishing my basement.

I probably spent 3 weeks watching the videos over and over again. I had tons and tons of notes and a shopping list for when I went to the store. That $100 saved me tens of thousands of dollars. This is my build thread if anyone is bored.

2 weeks later
    #19711 2 years ago

I’ve been considering selling my WoZ RR because I don’t play it a lot and the prices are crazy right now.

1 week later
    #19769 2 years ago
    Quoted from briyau15:

Forgive me if this isn’t the right forum but I’m toying with the idea of converting unfinished storage space in my basement (that has the HVAC) into a finished game room mainly for pins. Is there a list of do/do nots I should consider before having contractors come out to give estimates?
    Are recess lights a bad idea due to potential glare? There’s concrete now so should I go with epoxy or tile/laminate (don’t think carpet is appropriate due to no other carpeting in the basement). Thoughts?

I’d recommend you do it yourself. I didn’t know the first thing about construction but with a $100 streaming service, some tools and some time, my Dad and I finished mine.

For flooring, I did both. Carpet in the game room where you are standing to play and laminate in the rest of the space where I’m sitting.

You’ll want to do a moisture test before putting down laminate. I have a thread where I documented my build that might help answer some questions.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms?tu=Spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.