Topic Stats

• 23,727 posts
  • 2,339 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by CoachBacca
  • Topic is favorited by 1,118 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240329_010145474 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20240329_010155166 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6895 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6906 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6907 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6908 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4565 (resized).png
    IMG_4566 (resized).png
    Pinside_forum_8089745_0 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240305_090612_Outlook (resized).jpg
    20240303_004841 (resized).jpg
    IMG_2110 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2104 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2067 (resized).JPG
    Pinside_forum_3339888_776249 (resized).jpg
    Pinside_forum_3339888_776248 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8717 6 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Flight of the Wounded Bumblebee...not many guitarists from the Extreme era topping that. I can play the first 3 notes...but that's about it.

Check out John petrucci ...

#8734 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

It hasn't been part of our lineup for very long. But like you said, it's unique and there's nothing else like it. Bashing the opponent with the ball is quite satisfactory. A little less now that we have The Hobbit (I get my bash fix with it).
    I'm already the grand champ, but it was an epic title fight. I had bet all my points, and managed to win with ONE single life bar left. It was super-epic. I'll never forget that game as it was one of the most exciting/intense pinball game I've ever played. I mean, it was like "Rocky", know what I mean?
    It also has upgraded sound because I retired the old WPC-95 A/V board in it, and installed a brand new Pinsound board (coupled with a new DMD089 board).

I'm glad somebody tried this out! I am dreading the day my AV board goes out, but I am a huge PinSound supporter (RELEASE THE SHAKER GUYS!!!)

2 months later
    #9043 6 years ago

Where's a good source for that arcade style carpeting?

#9045 6 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

http://www.valuecarpetonline.com/carpet-black-light.htm
    or just google Black Light Carpet.
    Amazon has some options and there are several retailers that seem to have the same supplier.
    If your order is gonna be quite large you could also go right to the source.
    http://www.astrocarpetmills.com/

Beautiful, thanks!

#9069 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Only have a few pictures where the lit up carpet is visible. especially under the games.

Holy crap!!

#9096 6 years ago
    Quoted from ASOA:

Feeling very fortunate after stumbling across this home game room picture. Lets all consider ourselves very lucky we are able to have such nice things. Next time we see a person in need let's give a little. It does not have to be much. Just a little sometimes goes a long way.

Thank you. We all need to say this to ourselves EVERY day. My neighbor made a comment yesterday about how "some people" are under the poverty line but still have "a big screen tv and a smartphone". Where do we get with comments like this? We can be better than that. Consider yourselves fortunate.

#9118 6 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Wow. Thank you everyone for your complements. We had to leave house for 6 months due to water damage. I could only take 1 of my 8 pins bc we had to go to hotel and then a rental. I found a grail pin and bought it. Pinsider quiting hobby after 30 years. Bought the Indy, then MM, and CC from same guy. Ended up with lineup which I dreamt of. Went from 8 to 6 but these are my dream pins. Bought the others from other pinsiders for what I felt was fair pricing. Hard to find guys selling great machines where I live for fair prices. I intend to sell a few after granddaughter graduates high school in the same spirit which others did for me in this community. I am very appreciative of the guys who sold me their machines and intend to sell back to this group so others can enjoy these great games. Which is good news. Bad news is she's in 3rd grade. So I get to enjoy until then. Thanks everyone for the comments. There is a lot of good people here who share a lot of good information and I'm very thankful of that.

Man, you are quite the Michael Godard fan!!

1 week later
    #9159 6 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

There's a chick around my age that lives below me. I seldom see her, but slipped her a note saying I listen to music real loud, stay up real late and have a bunch of loud ass pinballs, text me if I'm being obnoxious. Or come up and have a beer.
    So far, neither of either, I'll take it! I stop playing around 10 during the weekdays to be respectful. As for the other noises coming from the bedroom, can't help that.

That was really smart to add the "or come up and have a beer..." She will NEVER bother you in a million years.

#9178 6 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Similar to Pinball I always suggest starting with the primary slot forum which would be NewLifegames. Start with their classified adds or simply post a want to buy. Your mailbox will be full in 1 hour. lol Yes you can find these on the net (I have Every Bally and WMS game now) but buying from many of the dealers direct or Ebay will be Really pricy. If you run into trouble or have questions just PM and I can try to help. For me the digital games are the most fun especially with the misses. You can change out the game and bam, new machine. Who would have guessed the best slot games would come from none other that Bally and WMS! Sad......

Caveat emptor, newlifegames is NOT set up like Pinside. It is an ooooooold website. Pinside is fairly cutting edge as far as a forum and the available features. Good luck hunting! I've gotten lost in NLG a couple times (looking for an IGT twilight zone!)

1 week later
    #9271 6 years ago
    Quoted from Boomer71:

Where did you order the carpet from?

Try astrocarpetmills.com

1 week later
    #9322 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Nice. I hope you don't put a drop ceiling in there, I love all the height you have there.

Yes, just paint it off-black and you're in business!

#9325 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cloud7:

I'm not going to get too crazy with the basement. My first order of business is getting LED lighting instead of the fluorescent I have now. The last owner rigged everything in a "interesting" way. After that, I was thinking about blacking the ceiling!

If anything I recommend you do the ceiling first. It will make a huge difference, much bigger than the change to LED. It will be easier if you're going to replace the lighting to spray the ceiling first, so you don't have to remove the fixtures twice

#9327 6 years ago
    Quoted from animesuperj:

I highly recommend the route of painting the ceiling black. If you'd like to see it in person, I'm just in Mukwonago; finished my room up about a month ago. I'd also add in on the side of painting before doing anything else. Makes masking the room and doing all the prep work a lot easier. And less to worry about with paint going everywhere.

If possible, don't just use flat black - get a black with a bit of the color you're going to paint your walls with, just a tiny touch of that color. Helps the walls blend better and as light bounces off the walls onto the ceiling, it will not be as harsh a transition for the eye

2 months later
    #9722 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Getting there....

Looks awesome - what are those lights you’ve got going on there?

1 week later
    #9790 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah some are over the top....cough....cough.

Man, Paul, I would love to come visit your temple of the silver ball!

#9793 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your welcome anytime, more fun in the garage/shop/Gameroom II also.

Road trip!!!!! My wife absolutely thinks it is crazy to do this but I have met the best people on PS!

#9812 6 years ago
    Quoted from Groo:

The pinball corner of my game room. Room for one more real machine to the right of my mini. The middle is the outstanding Pinball FX3 on the Nintendo Switch that supports portrait mode on the console docked or undocked. The removable joy cons really complete the package rather than having a traditional controller. I need to get a better stand though to highlight the GBA Pokémon Pinballs and DS Metroid Prime Pinball. Also got a handheld Pinbot I need room for.

Is that an actual TZ Translite on the wall?

1 week later
    #9918 6 years ago
    Quoted from pacman11:

Alright so I am working on my gameroom right now and just had a drywall guy come out to my house to give me an estimate and say that the drywall might crack a lot if you don't keep the heat above 60 in the gameroom. I just built a separate garage behind my house and it's heated but I keep it to about 50 degrees when I am not in it but when I go out to work on pins or play I turn the heat up to 65ish.. Just trying to decide weather I do drywall or tongue and grove. You guys ever have problems with drywall cracking a lot?

That is BS. Yes, you'll get cracking from plaster at low temps, but not drywall, and... 50 degrees?!

#9931 6 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Good luck! I was lucky enough to be able to secure 1/2 of my living space for a bar and arcade. Some people aren't that lucky, I understand.

To say the least! I got half of the basement, eliminating what was supposed to be our family room (which nobody used in 2 years). We are planning a big expansion, adding 1/3 additional housing space, and I am moving the laundry area from the basement to upstairs. I swear it has nothing to do with adding another game! Really! Hey! Come back! I’m serious!

4 weeks later
    #10092 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Also wanted to thank Laseriffics for this awesome color changing sign! Would attach link but it looks like part of the site is under construction.

Wow, I love that!

2 weeks later
    #10229 6 years ago

To those that have blacklight - doesn’t this cause fade in the cabinet decals ?

#10236 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Not in the slightest. Sunlight coming through a window is billions of times stronger so that WILL fade them.

Aha, that’s what my assumption was based on. Thanks Paul!

3 weeks later
    #10443 6 years ago

Finally finished the restore and got the room back in order!

CBB50D25-7722-4779-9434-A3138D070E6B (resized).jpegCBB50D25-7722-4779-9434-A3138D070E6B (resized).jpeg

12B8FC30-38AE-4683-B954-3434AF5E041B (resized).jpeg12B8FC30-38AE-4683-B954-3434AF5E041B (resized).jpeg

0CA4F3A5-9283-48C6-8B5B-B3E21912580E (resized).jpeg0CA4F3A5-9283-48C6-8B5B-B3E21912580E (resized).jpeg

C5F179AB-7968-4FDE-AD3C-A17BFCC0BFCE (resized).jpegC5F179AB-7968-4FDE-AD3C-A17BFCC0BFCE (resized).jpeg

23FD7711-7B0F-45FB-967C-EFFAE10D7F59 (resized).jpeg23FD7711-7B0F-45FB-967C-EFFAE10D7F59 (resized).jpeg

455DF449-7EFD-4F3A-B380-057F5F00A4F8 (resized).jpeg455DF449-7EFD-4F3A-B380-057F5F00A4F8 (resized).jpeg

78874DB9-9F19-4657-BDDF-E9F747BCA5BC (resized).jpeg78874DB9-9F19-4657-BDDF-E9F747BCA5BC (resized).jpeg

4D9F4250-269B-4246-AFC2-D25B8FAF450F (resized).jpeg4D9F4250-269B-4246-AFC2-D25B8FAF450F (resized).jpeg

#10445 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I see you have the Stars black light carpet, if you want to light it up real nice put a 20 inch bl cf fixture to the underside of each game, your carpet will really pop. I have them under all my games.

Great idea! I want to get some more of the carpet; will look into the black light as well!

1 week later
    #10501 5 years ago
    Quoted from xbmanx:

The Freakshow Arcade

I love those freakshow window shades! Where did you get
    Those?

#10503 5 years ago
    Quoted from xbmanx:

i commissioned them custom from a sideshow banner painter

What? Seriously! That is outstanding. We have a “frog boy” sandwichboard but To my dismay, i recently found out it is not original

#10525 5 years ago

I think it is funny (and great IMO) that every Shadow I’ve ever seen had the alternate translite. Huge improvement. Whether or not you like Alec Baldwin the movie was “eh” and that translite art .. yuck

1 week later
    #10618 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Here's a pic of mine taken a few years ago. Lots of the games have changed. One of these days I'll get around to taking updated ones.

Remarkable, BK

#10643 5 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

I feel like my wife has said those exact words....

*rimshot*

1 week later
    #10715 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

I'm planning on staying for the meantime as im saving up for a house. Dont see the value in renting. Also one of my favorite movies

I'm trying purchase the more expensive pins while im still at home before i move out. Next is probably Monster Bash or Dialed in.

Wow, must be nice.. that's not coming off entitled or anything. Thank your parents for letting you stay home, that is not the usual turn of events

#10722 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Yeah my parents are pretty cool. I work as a truck driver so im not home much during the day as i work about 50-60 hours which will be going up to 70-80 soon. The pins dont get played much and the only rules they ask is that the volume and shakers
    get turned down low and not to play in the middle of the night. In exchange i help them with any bills whenever they ask.

At about 26 or so i plan on building a $300-$400k house. My family doesnt play them much but they love showing them off to people

Damn man you have got it SET UP!

#10740 5 years ago

Houdini in the house!!

5EC52F5F-E376-43AA-BC9C-1C45618AB08B (resized).jpeg5EC52F5F-E376-43AA-BC9C-1C45618AB08B (resized).jpeg

3FF6B535-5F71-45CD-9DFC-87DDAA8350B1 (resized).jpeg3FF6B535-5F71-45CD-9DFC-87DDAA8350B1 (resized).jpeg

5A48899A-7784-4DB2-8324-A7C0E25CCF2D (resized).jpeg5A48899A-7784-4DB2-8324-A7C0E25CCF2D (resized).jpeg

#10758 5 years ago
    Quoted from jaytrem:

Cool, were you into Houdini before the game came out? Or did you decorate in preparation for the game? Must have been thrilled when it was announced if it's the former.

Both, actually - we had a lot of the Ouija board stuff and one of the posters; I got several more before the game arrived

1 month later
    #10953 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

For that kind of roof forget about roofing paper and shingles, use Ice Barrier in rolls and roll shingles. I did that on my garage addition that looks like yours and it will never leak now. And don't forget about a big gutter on the back side with long down spouts.

Just fYI though, rolled roof is only rated for 7 years - the tar adhesion is very low

2 weeks later
    #11077 5 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

The GF after our housewarming party said no more parties
    She’ll come around eventually

No more parties? I don’t get it

1 week later
    #11140 5 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Yeah, google: "richest county in US" and thats where i live. Used to be farmland when i grew up, now expensive ass houses.

I’ll trade you, I live in Arlington. A least you guys get HUGE expensive ass houses

#11152 5 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Out there a few weeks ago. Looked at a $1M 1200 sqft house (what I'd call an efficiency) in silicon valley. That's just bat shit crazy.

Yep you about hit the nail on the head there. #BSC2018

#11209 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I might be buying a new house, so I might be saying goodbye to my basement arcade... Pretty much all of it. I think I'll be able to keep 8 pins, a jukebox or two, and maybe a video game.
    Here are some "reminisce" photos from aboot two years ago.....

How are you going to get all those games out of there?

#11217 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Got them in there. Have had about 60 others in and out over the years.....

I meant physically - I see the spiral staircase; how the heck do you get a whole game up those steps?!?

3 weeks later
    #11339 5 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I would be so paranoid about that drain clogging!

Mine clogs - it is a nightmare! We’ve narrowly avoided flooding about 10 times over the years

#11344 5 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Not sure I understand the logic. If you only have one sump pump, you're a moron.
    I have 3 sump pumps, no issues here. Each has it's own stage. They aren't meant to run together.
    I spent money on drainage outside too.
    Dont forget to keep your gutters clear.

Some areas have a higher water table than others - we constantly have water surrounding our foundation so a sump would be a good idea if we started seeing water coming in.

what can you do if there's a power outage and the pump can't pump?

#11392 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Some signs I made for the ole game room...
    [quoted image][quoted image]

What a great idea!! Holy crap

#11393 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

That looks huge, what you gonna do about the ceiling and duct work? If the ducts were painted flat black they make a good place to put those magnetic apron covers.

Don’t Sheetrock the ceiling - just spray flat black (really you should use a tone of black with a bit of the wall color mixed in, which helps to deaden light reflection). I really like the industrial look and the ceiling just disappears. Everybody says make the ceiling white, if it’s black the ceiling will make you feel claustrophobic- the exact opposite is true. White ceiling is very noticeable and distracting, black ceiling just disappears

#11394 5 years ago

Added a new game room rug (most of the pins are opposite)

187F7FFF-385D-4467-83D6-22245D99CF5C (resized).jpeg187F7FFF-385D-4467-83D6-22245D99CF5C (resized).jpeg59A2F944-A4F4-4CF3-9F8A-AF113CB1564E (resized).jpeg59A2F944-A4F4-4CF3-9F8A-AF113CB1564E (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #11406 5 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Showoff. Your place is way cool.

You guys are nuts!! I only have 1 playfield I could put on the ceiling, looks kinda sad by itself

#11455 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Had about 60 people over this past weekend, figured i'd take some "before" pics while the game room was clean... everyone always likes the mad scientist bar...
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This is literally the basement I’m going for here in DC! That mad scientist corner is awesome!

1 month later
    #11728 5 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Is that all? I've heard of something called "discretionary income" but I've never actually seen any of it. Does it really exist?

It does not exist if you have kids

#11735 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

We spent probably close to 22,000/year on childcare prior to the kids going to preschool. No expenses prior to college came close to that thankfully. College is more, but with 529 investments and the rising market over last few years, our cost/year has been much less.

Man, that is a kick in the nuts. I was lucky enough to be in a place where my wife could
    Stop working until our kid hit kindergarten.. then she got a job and we got him in after school care - "only" 350/month and I -almost- got to write it off Our taxes last year. Puts it in perspective to hear the other war stories. Damn!'

#11751 5 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

why do they pay somebody else to care for their kids?
    I must be wrong I thought being a parent meant you took care of your children.

Omg here we go.

1 month later
    #12117 5 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Serious question (and I know codes vary by area). Based on what I've read up on, If I wanted to throw up some walls in my basement I need:
    * pressure treated lumber on the bottom plate for the wall frame (optional if I want to use nails or tapcons to secure). This is so that if I should get a flood, the base is waterproof
    * Ideally I should have an insulation barrier between studs (either fiberglass or pink foam)
    * I need a moisture barrier (IE polyurethane sheet at least 6 mil) on the outside before the drywall so in case moisture somehow gets through, it won't rot from the inside
    Assuming I don't also need a moisture barrier behind the wall (I do plan on coating every concrete wall with drylok) ?
    I'd like to get some real flooring down at least partially, and I don't want to do that until I have some real walls up. I also plan on using dricore tiles before I put down anything on the concrete floor.

This is almost exactly what I did. If you do have a moisture problem, Do not use fiber batts; it will never dry if you are putting the studs right up against the wall. Use foam board (make sure you buy a hot knife if you are installing yourself!), or do spray foam. Spray foam is pricier but you get a better seal and R-value is a little better. Batts are the best; but you need more space.

I built our basement 2 inches off the concrete so air can get in anywhere it needs to, in the event we have major leaks, and the fiber batts never touch any moisture.

So far so good, and no real need for the moisture barrier except on the floor. IME this is a superior design to jamming everything in air tight and trying to squeeze out every inch of space. Air tight means water like.

I also did dricore, and if you have the ceiling height, it is awesome (although a pricey subfloor..) be careful not to pierce the rubber layer, as any water can wick up into the OSB on top.

2 weeks later
    #12265 5 years ago
    Quoted from Backyardace:

Nice! Assuming you have Doctor Who in the collection given the wall art?
    Looking forward to seeing the only new Doctor Who episode of 2019 tonight.

Same here! Hopefully it will be better than the rest of the season. I really like the new doctor - she has the craziness of the 4th (the curator!) and 10th, but I really miss the “magic” of Matt Smith and Tennant’s stories (Moffat’s stories, I suppose)

#12271 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Great space! I would highly recommend removing the drop ceiling and painting it all matte black above. You will be amazed at how it can seem to open up the space even more.

I second that. The noise is negligible - unless you do what I did and mount speakers in the ceiling LOL.

1 year later
    #16108 3 years ago
    Quoted from Waderade812:

A little timeline gameroom development. Took a wall out between a guest bedroom and a workshop. Trying to go for a old bait shop vibe. Haha[quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice work! Semper Fi!

1 week later
    #16206 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dewman:

I completely and unreservedly support your right to free speech. I don't agree with your analysis but we can still be friends. Now perhaps we can get back to game room pictures

Guys, I don't think we can tolerate this kind of civility in here. This is pinside! I'm upvoting both comments because I want to support our need to learn to get along better.

#16217 3 years ago
    Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

I don't want to be spammy by any means, so I will simply embed the TRAILER for an upcoming documentary on arcade games/pinball that I'm executive producing called ARCADE DREAMS in this thread, because I can appreciate how many people in this thread are interested in such things. The doc is already 40% shot (see featured people here: https://arcadedocumentary.com/featuring) but we did just launch a KICKSTARTER campaign (https://bit.ly/ArcadeDoc) so if any of you want to support a great project, please check it out and share with any other friends that you know who might also be interested in such things. The entire post with more info can be read here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/arcade-dream-documentary-on-100-year-history-of-arcade-games-pinball

Amazing ! Can’t wait to see

3 weeks later
    #16364 3 years ago
    Quoted from zermeno68:

Yup, Are you the first person on this thread to have your own brewery near the game room? Damn!!
    My first words out of my mouth, "Holy Sh*t". Jealous.
    Are those two 5 gallon brew kettles? How are they temperature controlled? Create one yourself or bought a kit?

great... now we need a brewery thread too!

#16418 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

First is from the workshop, where my main lineup is. Where the “work” gets done
    [quoted image]
    Then the basement gameroom, which has sadly become yet another storage room. I have to move a ton of shit if I wanna play my beloved Baby Pac-Man. With the new house it will be different!
    No furniture, I will sleep under my machines, with the GI to keep me warm.
    [quoted image]
    The storage unit with the shuffle bowler used to be empty, now holds all the winter projects and a ton of racking that will be used in the next workshop.
    I’m staying prepped for the future, 90% sure I’ll have to close the arcade and clean it out, then reopen down the line at a new location.
    [quoted image]

Great pics. Love that Testament flag!

#16438 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

If you have a partner that likes to shoot pool there's nothing like it. We go down and shoot for at least 2 hours day. Even before we had the table set-up, we'd shoot pool at the bar daily.

Agreed. It does help quite a bit if the wife likes pool too. I would kind of like to get one for our place eventually. My wife grew up with a pool table and I know she’d love it. Hopefully that would offset the sting of the P3 that arrives tomorrow!!

2 weeks later
    #16534 3 years ago
    Quoted from drfrightner:

I've shared these photos before but we've re-done the place. We make it darker with yup you guessed a custom printed carpet that is blacklight.
    I'll tell you what I'm trying to sell my house currently, and when I do the first thing I'd doing is making a custom printed blacklight carpet. Trust me it will be epic!
    Anyway thought I'd share!
    You can only play these pinball machines when our haunted house is open which it is this for two special events "Krampus" and "Bloody Valentines" yeah yeah I know. We're obviously open during the Halloween season. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Man, I can’t wait to visit your place some day! Looks a lot like the basement in Tom Savini’s SFX school

#16560 3 years ago
    Quoted from I-Closed-Wolskis:

Got a week's worth of work in on finishing the basement, insulating and framing.
    [quoted image]

Good choice on the insulation

#16571 3 years ago
    Quoted from StarWarsTurtles:

[quoted image]Its just for the kids and grandkids....right
    [quoted image]

Those doors are AMAZING. Where did you find those?

#16575 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Yep... I did that too. Started in Mar 2018 and finished (the setup pics below) in Jan 2020. I should have just moved to a different house... Thankfully mine was finished just before the epidemic hit. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Tell me about it... We started our project early 2019 with designs. Adding 1200 sq ft. to the house in 3 levels (not all of it's for pinball! )

Broke ground in Feb. 2020, and in May had the new basement dug out, concrete wall removed. All framing up June 4th or so. Now it's December. In 6 months we've had our (minimal) ductwork put in, and plumbing. Our county does framing, plumbing, elec, and HVAC all in the same inspection. No elec, so no inspection. To say I'm pissed with the GC is an understatement.

The photos you guys are posting gives me some hope though!

#16578 3 years ago
    Quoted from tacreno:

wow those basement addons are insane
    im wondering if it would just be cheaper to sell and buy a house with a basement

Not in my area. It's a direct trade off of time vs $$. I am (repeating to myself on the hour) investing time into our future so that we can turn it into money when we sell, which then allows us to turn it back into time. Despite my bitching about how long it's taking, we'll make about $300K in equity profit the day they give us the occupancy permit. Buying a similar house in our area us like 1.5million. and I can tell you i am -WAY NOT- paying that much for this addition.

But you have to be on it like crazy. I had guys who put in a new 13ft header which was holding up the 1st floor ceiling and the entire 2nd floor. They installed it without checking where the supports in the basement were, so we had it just sitting basically on the floorboards and not truly bearing the load. Could have ended really badly...

#16579 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Yep... I did that too. Started in Mar 2018 and finished (the setup pics below) in Jan 2020. I should have just moved to a different house... Thankfully mine was finished just before the epidemic hit. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Keith, did you not have a basement at all beforehand?

#16585 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I live very comfortably in a 480sqm industrial warehouse with a container house in it. Just saying.

What! That’s fascinating! Post photos!

#16587 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Best record here on our Stilldragon page i think.
    https://www.stilldragon.org/discussion/2140/new-office

So I learned a few things here:
    -StillDragon is going to be on my buy list soon
    -American construction is pathetically slow compared to Aussie ingenuity
    -between SD, rock n’ roll, pinball, the space, the beach, and Snake - clearly I need to move down under.
    - who does those amazing murals!

#16592 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

What kind of snake is that?

Morelia Bredli - he mentioned above. Beautiful snakes!

#16593 3 years ago

Finally having our close-in inspection today at 11. guys are upstairs loading insulation batts into the new space. New basement is full of our crap from the rest of the house - no games in there yet except for Heist!, which I've been playing non-stop. It's 20 degrees colder in there than the rest of the house, which sucks but that will soon no longer be an issue!

#16596 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Bredli as said above, yes;
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morelia_bredli
    Wonderful nature. When i first got the smaller one he was a rescue. owned by a couple of teenagers who loved to watch him strike and wouldn't pick him up.
    I asked if i could get him out and they said 'If you want to get bitten'.
    He bit me on the face.
    Next time i picked him up he cruised on my arm for 1/2 an hour without striking. Since then and since i owned him the only time i've ever seen him strike at a person was when the ex owner came here once and i got him out, he struck at him.
    Funny how they remember people, he loves obne of my mates, and gets excited when he sees him at the table through his tank and want's to get out and say hello all the time.
    That's how he got the name 'Hoodat'.
    My bigger fella came from a breeder as a yearling, he's never struck except if i've made a stupid mistake like putting my hands in the tank to move something straight after feeding him.
    Both snakes get out for an hour or so most days, i try to toilet train them as they don't like messing up their tanks and i don't like cleaning it up. If i take them out the front on the grass when they look like they are full, they like to crap on the grass. Must be the texture i think, they run at about 8 out of 10 outside craps usually.
    Sorry, that's more than you asked but i get carried away.

Lol this thread is turning into snake school!

Great story about how they remember people - I had no idea. I saw a video with Kerry King talking about all his snakes but I think he’s more of a specialty breeder. Not sure how many are companions

#16599 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Apologies for getting carried away. Someone above showed interest in my best mates is all.
    Back to our regular programming.

Digging it

#16600 3 years ago
    Quoted from ceterumnet:

I had Iron Maiden Premium and Star Wars Premium. Played them for about a year and sold them to make room for the machines I have now. I also had LOTR for about a month...but I had to sell it to make room for GnR and TBL.
    I enjoy all of the brands to be honest, although I do believe that JJP does build the most amazing machines...but I have no complaints about Stern, Spooky or my one Bally machine! They all are equally in need to love and care periodically. Also, I've literally never had a NIB or Used machine not need something fixed when it arrived to my house. It's all part of pinball IMO.

Well said. I have no complaints about any of the manufacturers - it occurs to me we have at least one from all the current manufacturers (of course I have 3 B/W games!) in the bolted-to-the-floor lineup, including AP and Multimorphic. All are sticking around

1 week later
    #16625 3 years ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

I don't have the items attached yet. They move around a little bit right now. I thought about using ticky tack putty to keep things in place if I needed to though. I am still trying to figure out what I want to place on it. It's a lot of shelving. I needed the opening to be wide enough to move pins through it.
    In terms of weight, it was designed to hold 100 pounds of stuff on the shelves.
    There is a spring that I can tweak to adjust how quickly the door opens depending on how much weight is placed on it. I keep it a little slower to 1) not have stuff fly off the shelves 2) I don't want to surprise anyone standing next to it and scaring/hitting them.

Use Museum Wax - will keep stuff in place firmly but is non-toxic, doesn’t slime up your stuff, and is reusable.

Very curious about the chess game. RFID tags in the pieces I assume? What’s the logic controller ?

#16630 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Ok, never heard of Museum Wax before, so had to look that up. Good choice for wood shelves. For glass shelves, apparently go with the gel kind. Quakehold makes them both. I will be trying both of these out ....
    amazon.com link »

I assumed something like these magnetic contact switches that are used in home security
    amazon.com link »
    So curious as well to how it works...

My mistake, thought it was wood

Museum Wax does not stick to certain types of plastic very well either (the material has to be somewhat porous I believe). The gel works too but is harder to reuse/reposition. Looking forward to what’s next!

#16634 3 years ago
    Quoted from marioparty34:

Thanks for the heads up on using Museum Wax. Never heard of that before.
    ReadyPO - you are correct. They are magnetic contact switches. Basically drilled and placed small magnets into the chess piece and put the switch under the chess board. When all three switches are engaged, the signal is sent to release the magnet that is holding the door shut.

very cool! we are going for a escape room vibe in our (eventual...) game room.. can't wait to do something like this!

1 week later
    #16728 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have 6 pins on a 15 amp circuit. And 2 jukes and a mini fridge. Never had any issues. Never had all 6 played at the same time but had 4.
    Not by choice. Stupid electric layout but i am not opening walls.

I have up to 6 games in the room at once, and a dehumidifier, which pulls a LOT of amperage. It's also on a 15A circuit. We are in the process of renovating, so I am adding 2 20A circuits to the new game room.

2 weeks later
    #16825 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

And just like that, I freed up space for 6 machines instead of 5. I used to have them all up against the wall. I have found that by switching them 2 deep and sideways, I can fit in 6 instead of 5. I have to keep those doors passable and this maximizes the space. Now to find my first E.M... and can put more up on the wall.
    [quoted image][quoted image] Old lineup for comparison [quoted image]

There's a phenomenal Sure Shot in Alexandria that just got posted. What type of flooring do you have there?

1 month later
    #17080 3 years ago
    Quoted from weaverj:

looks like my gameroom. machines all turned on; my son staring at what i assume is the tv.

hahaha same here. Usually on Fortnite

#17084 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have a friend with an AMAZING collection of beautiful games that most of us would give an arm and a leg for. He tells me his kids only play Xbox in his gameroom

LOL yep.

And I just bought a new LG OLED TV to (maybe) replace our Panasonic ZT65 plasma, which I've had for I think 8 years. The "Kuro Killer". The LG blows it away in terms of black levels, but there's a weird motion thing going on occasionally which is really distracting. Not Soap Opera motion, I've read it's because the OLED pixels light up SO fast it's unnatural to the eye.

Er, but anyway - we have a good collection of 4K movies, a PS4 Pro for 4K games, including Ghost of Tsushima and Shadow of the Colossus 4K... and all he plays is Fortnite. SMH. Although I have to say he was VERY excited to show me this week that they have "skins of the Street Fighter guys! You know, from the OLD game!" LOL

#17112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Thank you, glad someone gets me... part 2 coming up
    Edit:
    Part 2 of my gameroom workshop
    P.S. this is NOT a political video

Clicked on this because it is "NOT a political video". But. OOh found out why. No judgment! The room is gonna be awesome!!!!

#17113 3 years ago

Soliciting suggestions on how to get my contractor to get his ass in gear. We have been living in 3 tiny rooms in a 4,000 sq ft house for exactly 1 YEAR as of this coming Wednesday. How do I flog this guy legally

#17118 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

That’s horrible. What’s the hold up? I’m assuming it’s a reno and not new construction. I’m in the process of building a new house that’s significantly larger and we are on the construction process will be 14months.
    I would definitely get in touch with a lawyer and see what your options are but it will all come down to your contract with your builder. Your in a tricky situation because he needs to finish the work and if you legally force him to get his ass moving I would be concerned about the quality of his work. I hate hearing stories like that. I hope it works out soon.

Thanks folks - I think we really are stuck. This is a part Reno, part new build. We added 1500 sq ft or so, 3 levels - basement and 2 above ground. The build out is done, but we had 4 months of delays because the electrician basically never showed up. Once winter was upon us (and the house was wide open and freezing), I fired the electrician and pulled the permit myself to get it done.

Now we are done mostly with the new space but there is a ton of work still to be done, and I maybe see 1 guy show up a couple times a week. It’s going to take at least 3 more months to finish, and we are just at our wit’s end, living on top of one another, school, work, etc.

The most frustrating thing is I HAVENT paid him for a lot of the work! I didn’t pay him a dime for 6 months until we got our initial inspection approved, and now I’ve got about $80,000 due him to finish the project, and it’s just the slowest work ever.

One positive thing I can say is that the work is pretty good, but there’s so much left to do and he’s making noises about needing more money (ain’t no way that is happening).

The contract has a list of specifics but no schedule so I’m thinking not much we can do but just needed to get this off my chest. Looking forward to posting a photo of the game room eventually

#17125 3 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

This kind of thing is going on all over. You can't get anyone to even answer phones or return calls to get anything done.

That's what i'm hearing from talking with other folks. There's a TON of work being done in my neighborhood, too, mostly with larger firms. We went with a respected local dude, which I THOUGHT was a good call.

#17127 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

is there a pandemic going? That might be having an effect.

Absolutely - although we were mostly unaffected in terms of getting materials. I bought everything back in April 2020, lumber, shingles, house wrap, HVAC mechanicals, etc. Pretty much everything except tile. This is really down to just labor

#17132 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

You could amend your contract by offering the builder a series of draws, backloaded to incentivize production. If you are still willing to work with this builder, you could have a heart-to-heart and acknowledge he needs money, you need a house. If the pace picks up immediately, you could offer 10% of the remaining balance when work resumes, then 20%, 30% and finally the final 40% if he is meeting certain goals. (That’s just an example, you can design the draw schedule). Money may be the only motivator, and if the work is good, it might be worth a try. I used similar deals involving barrier-free housing construction. Good luck!

This is a really good suggestion - and in fact is how I structured the contract.

I can't figure it out! He's just sloooooooow. I did not work in a schedule completion bonus though; perhaps I should have added that. Appreciate all the suggestions.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just missing out I can't post photos of our gameroom yet! Oh man how pissed would my wife be if I moved the games into the new finished space LOL

#17135 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

You could post some pictures of the game space construction - I am sure a lot of us would like to see it (myself included!)

Good Call. The rest of the house is being built first (I'll post that separately) - but here are the 3D renders of the plans for the basement extension (existing basement has a workroom, bathroom, my office, storage, and a common area). The new area is 2 rooms: a workout room I'm decorating like a japanese tea room, and I promised my kid we'd have a 'secret door' access to the gameroom. So that's behind the japanese doors *and* a bookcase on wheels. The basement is already dug out and walls are up, but it's so full of stuff from the rest of the house you can't really see anything.

EDIT: added a photo of the basement. Makes it look like we are hoarders. That's all our stuff from the rest of the house!

basement-walkthrough1 (resized).pngbasement-walkthrough1 (resized).pngbasement-walkthrough2 (resized).pngbasement-walkthrough2 (resized).pngbasement-walkthrough3 (resized).pngbasement-walkthrough3 (resized).png
    Gameroom (resized).pngGameroom (resized).png

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#17137 3 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

I was wondering where R2D2 ended up!

Yep... almost finished with that. Last couple pieces happening this week, then I need to wire him up!

#17148 3 years ago
    Quoted from BorgDog:

Yeah built that as 3 separate ones all on wheels that fit under the pinball machines. Took the wheels off 2 of them and stacked and screwed together for the new space. Just 1" angle aluminum brackets to hold each container. I think I have too many parts.

WOW I need something like this. Great idea

#17167 3 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

Small update on "Dave's Ballshack" (pool house full of pinball eventually).
    Brick was finished a couple days ago, as well as most of the insulation. The insulation folks broke the brick loose on the threshold of the shack because it wasn't dry yet so they'll have to come back and reset it. Also the pocket door frame for the bathroom has been installed (did a pocket door because I'm trying to minimize how much internal loss of space with doors that swing out into the space). Also pictured is the breezeway/entrance between the house and the shack leading into the back yard which will include a gate with magnetic lock.
    We have high hopes we'll be moving in around the early part of May.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Man, best of luck to you. When did you start this build again?

#17175 3 years ago
    Quoted from dyopp21:

Slab was poured in December.

OMG this pisses me off. We started in APRIL 2020. Best to you though, this build is looking outstanding !

#17193 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Looking for some advice here. I've been talking with a builder about building a new home. The current blueprints show a dedicated gameroom of 14'3 x 19'10. I think this should be able to fit 2 rows of 7 machines leaving around a 53" aisle between games up the middle. Is this enough, or should I try to have them push the wall out another foot or so (to 15'3"x 19'10"). thanks!
    [quoted image]

Push it a foot. The last thing you want is that the games fit nicely but none of the humans do. Make sure 10 people can fit in there comfortably - Will you add any seating?

#17227 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I think i've solved the problem of my mates drinking my beer all the time. I'll keep their beer here at $2 a can.
    [quoted image]
    At $800au used with a newish compressor, it's cheaper than a side by side fridge that size. Holds 440 cans over 7 products.

I can not wait to come visit your place, mate

#17228 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Yeah it's not great. From the builders I've talked to they've estimated that it costs about 15% more overall to build now vs. a year ago with all things considered. The saving grace is that used prices are also up 10-15% due to demand and lack of supply. Low interest rates also make the pill a bit easier to swallow.

Seeing the same here - we are a bit lucky that we bought most of our materials back in very early 2020 - but now I'm doing trim and I'm starting to hear complaints about cost there (and keep in mind *I* am the electrician on the project, which was NOT part of the budget!). The big downside is that so many people are doing renos that the really good guys are being pulled away to higher-paying projects, and the mid-price guys are having a hard time keeping them on the jobs.

#17271 3 years ago
    Quoted from Skyemont:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those ceilings are crazy high! Do you have a 2nd level?

#17285 3 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

What I see from behind the kit!
    [quoted image]

What a lineup! I need to get me an ACNC

#17289 3 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

One was just put for sale in the market

And close to me! For trade though

#17319 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

I have a set of sliders in my basement close to my games and ended up installing UV blocking film to prevent fading.

I was going to ask this - surely there is some sort of window covering (not shades, hardy har) that significantly reduces UV light

#17322 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Will do, i have to get some ducks in a row and the purpose of the concept drawings is to get costings on the building. once i know what those figures are, i'll know if i can afford to buy the land here in Heaven. Then comes the hard part as all the land here is under blueberries.

That actually sounds quite amazing!

#17329 3 years ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

We have triple pane argon gas injected glass windows that were put in our new construction home in Texas 3 years ago. They block about 97% of UV light into the home. There is a slight, and by slight I mean very slight green hue to them when viewed from the outside. Double pane argon block about 80%...

Argon leaks out after a couple of years (at least on double pane), so keep in mind to check every so often!

4 months later
    #18037 2 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

I went the other direction with wall switches. Used arcade buttons and fabricated a plate to hold them in place. Visitors can't resist pushing those buttons, turning off the lights in the room.
    [quoted image]

That is very cool, like old style push-button switches. How does it work mechanically ?

#18039 2 years ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

Just lays over the actual wall switches, with arcade buttons floating over the original switch paddles. Cut the switch buttons short and added cotter pins to keep them from falling out. Mounted on a plate and made spacers to hold them far enough away from the switch paddles.
    Took a bit of work using a hacksaw and drill, but they operate nicely.

That is super cool. I have some Death Star looking light switch plates I made but the original switches still poke through. This would be even better !

#18045 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Does anyone know where to find arcade blacklight rugs

Amazon and such have a limited selection - this is the go-to place for carpeting:

https://astrocarpetmills.com/

Not sure I have seen area rugs if that’s what you’re looking for

3 weeks later
    #18265 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

One thing I suggest doing for those who unfortunately have to refinish their basements is to employ a technique I've applied to my last two basements: I prefer to utilize metal studs where I can, but one of the downsides to them is baseboard attachment. You can't brad nail to metal studs. So I ripped 1/2" OSB in 4" strips, and screwed it to the studs at floor level. This gives me something to nail to. The other benefit that I take advantage of, even on wood walls, is that if I ever get water (up to 4 inches anyway) in my basement, the carpet comes out, the trim and osb comes off, and the drywall can stay. Drywall can't wick up water if it isn't touching the surface.
    I know some of you had not inches, but feet of water. But most water issues in basements are localized and shallow. This might buy you enough margin to lessen the pain in a more typical event.
    You can also see in the photo the method I've come up with to keep the metal studs from flexing where there are outlets. Metal is cheaper, straighter, and you can cut half a dozen studs at once. If you are starting from scratch, I'd definitely consider going that direction.
    [quoted image]

I’ve always used furring strips for attaching drywall to metal studs, but that’s a great idea to use OSB for the last couple inches - it’s covered by the baseboard anyway. Doesn’t the OSB swell when wet though?

#18268 2 years ago
    Quoted from gorditas:

I'm sure it would, if left for a long period of time. But it doesn't matter: it is meant to be sacrificial to save the drywall.

Gotcha. Great idea for sure

2 weeks later
    #18377 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

They are indeed the nanoleaf panels. You can light them up any way you would like. I also like that I can turn them all on bright white, so the whole game room it nice and bright when I’m working on the machines

How did you mount those Nanoleaf things? I bought some for my son’s room and they come with these awful sticker mounts that I do not want to use on the walls I just painted.

#18380 2 years ago

Thanks guys, sounds like command strips are the way to go

1 week later
    #18496 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Is that similar in price to something like granite?

WAY cheaper, almost by half. Looks really nice. Way cheaper than the quartz I just blew a Stern Premium on

1 week later
    #18573 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

My Old timers room[quoted image][quoted image]

What’s going on with the floor there ?

#18575 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

That part of my basement had the old 8x8 asbestos tile when I bought the house so I repainted it a high gloss red.
    I don’t have any place to move my machines so I had to paint in in 3 phases and let it dry good before moving everything to its place.

Got it, that’s going to look great!

1 week later
    #18639 2 years ago

I’m curious where everybody gets their diner table/bench setup? Is that something I need to flea market, or are there actual suppliers?

#18648 2 years ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

These guys are about 45 mins. south of me. Custom is their middle name, and the quality is amazing.
    Free shipping I believe currently for orders over $1K.
    We bought a 6' bar years ago from them, and that thing is solid maple and weighs 600 lbs.
    At that time (and probably still now) they use original old engineering drawings they got from a 1950s' diner furniture manufacturer, to fab from.
    https://barsandbooths.com/

Fantastic, thanks!

3 weeks later
    #18739 2 years ago
    Quoted from fabsj82:

Changed and added some stuff to the game room over the last 5 months. Not much more wall space to fill.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those metal signs are out of control! Did you have those made or are they available at a vendor?

4 months later
    #19854 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:Phillips makes some great beer. Couldn't pass up snapchattin this new release!
    [quoted image]

damn! That looks real good. Had to give up beer this year. Trying to console myself with another pin eventually. hopefully it works! (doubt it, but...)

1 week later
    #19909 1 year ago
    Quoted from zh2oson:

This product has started to pop up in my Twitter feed the past few days. Anyone have one?
    https://www.minijumbotron.com/
    Side note - "Mini Jumbotron" is a real missed naming opportunity when "Minitron" is just sitting there.
    (It's also $3k, not including the TVs, which is...like...two pinball toppers these days!)

I hate to say it, but that is actually pretty cool! One of their products appears to be called the "Microtron" which isn't bad.

3 weeks later
    #20027 1 year ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I saw these railing panels that reminded me of the inside of the Death Star at Home Depot the other day. Turn them 90 degrees and hang them on the wall [quoted image][quoted image]

Barrette also makes a panel with the EXACT Death Star design - it's called "Optic"

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Barrette-Outdoor-Living-3-ft-x-6-ft-Optic-Black-Vinyl-Decorative-Screen-Panel-73050083/315970643

also available at Amazon, and on TractorSupply.com it's $20 cheaper (although they seem to run out of stock frequently)

#20034 1 year ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

Speaking of Star Wars. Added opening crawl to my stairs going into my game room.
    [quoted image]

That is really awesome! Is that a printed piece of vinyl or paint ?

#20036 1 year ago
    Quoted from Langless28:

Painted ceiling black and use Inkscape to make a svg file of all the words. I used my wife’s 12”x24” circuit mat and stitched all the pieces together on transfer tape. Then on the wall it went.

brilliant! And I bet it took forever!

1 week later
    #20080 1 year ago

The comics and that huge Lobo art look amazing! Love the Transformers collection too. I used to have a huge bin of those from when I was a kid, and they just walked away one day. No idea where they went. Right around when I split up with my first wife ....

Anyway, looks amazing.

#20081 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

Awesome bar! Makes me want a bourbon cocktail. Is this the transformer that turned into something like a cassette player? I remember having one like that when I was young. Soundwave! Good times.
    [quoted image]

That's the one. I had him too. I recall his legs got loose or something and he wouldn't stand up any more

#20093 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

I am not backpedalling at all mate and i don't know why people want to turn these things into shitfights. I didn't ask you the question so i don't know why you should be joining in.
    In my eyes there is no distinction between 'action figures' (who are not performing actions) and dolls? They are dolls. They are little, and they are dolls.
    I asked if the op played with them as a way to find out what purpose the provide if you don't.
    Yes, some people do display children's toys and i have always wondered why. So i asked an owner. The owner was quite happy to answer my question, it's others like you who have taken offense on the behalf of doll owners everywhere.

Regional differences in the US, the word "doll" is understood to be exclusively meant to refer to little girls' toys. In the UK, it's a little more generic - Australia too I have to assume. So "Little Dolls", while an awesome Ozzy song, came off a little different than you intended to the guys in the States. Why am I even getting involved in this? LOL

#20103 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Why would you differentiate between a doll for a girl or a doll for a boy? Have their pushbikes got different nomenclature there? What other toys are called different things depending who plays with them?
    And why would people think it's disrespectful to call something what it is. It's like people there don't want to be associated with the word dolls, so made up an entirely new mane for them and no i'm a bastard for using a generic term.
    I understand well there are regional differences, but maybe some of you people should reciprocate. Dolls are dolls here as far as i have ever known

I don’t know man, I was just explaining what I think happened. You’ll have to ask some American language experts

#20135 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

I have the replica mini Dragons Lair and kept playing until I reached the end. Even so, I’m not able to get very far without lots of lives. I know about 1/3 of the rooms by heart and can navigate them. But the game can reverse the rooms so that the moves are also reversed, which adds a wrinkle. I love the animation and story, but I do wish the game was a little more about making decisions than simply lightning fast reflexes. Maybe more like a touch of Zelda RPG somehow. Still, a classic quarter eater!

.. said everyone, ever, about Dragon’s Lair!

1 week later
    #20219 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darkfader:

Finally got around to doing an update video of my gameroom!

well done! There's a lot of investment in that room! No fruit machine?

1 week later
    #20244 1 year ago
    Quoted from wolffcub:

Cut back the pony wall so i could squish in the Deadpool so it warrents a new picture.
    [quoted image]

Had to look up "pony wall". I'm used to calling those "knee walls". Looks great!

3 weeks later
    #20385 1 year ago
    Quoted from kciaccio:

I would roll the 220. It's much more efficient.

Seconded. Definitely do it, especially since it’s the same cost to install

2 weeks later
    #20424 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

Lol! I miss when mine were babies! They don’t really grow out of breaking your stuff my oldest is 15 and left a popsicle on the couch only to sit in it an hour later! Everything I want to keep still sits in my bedroom closet!

LOL no doubt about that. I built my kid a 15x15 space in our basement so he can practice hockey and occasionally soccer. It’s double-netted and has walls for goals. Anyway, he is supposed to drop the nets when he’s down there - the space is right next to the game room.

I’m down in the game room yesterday and a soccer ball comes flying through the “goal” and I hear something hit the floor. He’s kicked the ball RIGHT through the space - nets not dropped, and cleaves off the key to my EHOH. The head is on the floor, the rest of the key STILL in the lock. Ay ay ay

#20433 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

Yes! Sounds like my house for sure! I haven’t had anything break in the game area yet… hopefully nothing will happen! However, I’m scared of the day I go on vacation and come back to the aftermath of a party.

Yep! I’m most concerned about the games which have mirrored back glasses - but I’ve turned them away from the doorway JUST in case!

1 week later
    #20460 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

I just thought I'd share my 'solution' for stopping drywall dust going all over the place (in my case on the pinballs!) when drilling into a drywall ceiling... a lid off a spray can with a hole in it to give a tight fit to the drill bit.
    [quoted image]

VERY good idea! There’s a new product I just saw at the hardware store which is aimed at doing the same thing - it basically looks like a large plastic bowl that pops over the bit.

4 weeks later
    #20619 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

What is the machine on the end with the dragons on the side?

Ultraman

2 weeks later
    #20733 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballGalore:

First time I'm seeing them all light up so beautifully. Some still require a few tweaks but just staring at them all lit up for ten minutes straight is my kind of meditation.

I know exactly what you mean! Huge fan of the JD topper on TZ !

#20739 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ballderdash:

With the delay of CCr I don’t know when that will be. Any guesses or has anyone heard? Also wondering what people think the price/model they release will be?

I believe the next game is supposed to be an original theme - no clue on what it is

3 weeks later
    #20852 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

What is this Treehouse Club game? wow.

Can we get a few more pictures of that? That looks very cool

2 weeks later
    #20927 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Question for you guys that have black, open, ceilings and exposed joists and ductwork in your basement game rooms. How did you paint that stuff black?

Sprayed it !

4 weeks later
    #21104 1 year ago

Ok, you need to stop. Stick to the topic

#21110 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcuzz:

Here’s a few whilst we wait
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Outstanding! The music wall is great

#21111 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

My latest acquisition for my game room arrived this week...
    [quoted image]

Those games are great! .... for holding a beer lol. The local place near me has a "night moves" in that same tabletop shape. It hasn't been serviced in 35 years so it barely turns on, but it's fun for what it is

#21115 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mikespinball:

Here is a picture of my Night Moves. Non-working when I got it, mice yuck! Cleaned up great and agree it's a fun pin to play. [quoted image][quoted image]

That’s about 1000 times better than the one I’ve seen -I’ve always gotten a chuckle out of the fact the display says “Night Movers”

#21157 1 year ago
    Quoted from briyau15:How do we get that Tron secret entrance post a key post? That and the house with a batpole. Trying to make a secret entrance happen this year but won’t be able to replicate how he did it

I may be mistaken, but I thought I read the Tron entrance guy (a pilot, if I recall correctly?) moved out of that house. am I crazy?

#21164 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Gottlieb™ update:
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Damn, that’s a dream lineup for me. Don’t have the space but one day I’ll have the HH/BH combo

#21196 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

My garage gameroom gets finished this weekend. Wall panels, trim, and hopefully first coat of epoxy floor paint. It’s been a big project. I’m adding a slot machine, pool table, pins and darts to mix it all up a bit. Plus a small bar, seating, TV and audio. Trying to get this nearly done by year end too! After I seal the concrete floor, would you recommend carpet squares (easy to replace any) or simply a few rugs?

I’m a huge fan of those carpet squares; they come in multiple sizes, but the larger ones are both more durable and less expensive. You can order a small selection on Amazon but if you buy direct they have a much larger set of options. That’s my vote - if you spill a beer or the cat throws up, easy to clean. And if you jack up one of the squares with a power tool like I did, easy swap out. They have a very light adhesive on the bottom to keep from creeping, and you can’t even tell it’s not a rolled carpet if you align them tight.

#21198 1 year ago
    Quoted from TroyS:

Has anyone found game room style carpet squares?

Sure - many people have ordered from here: https://www.astrocarpetmills.com/ (I'm doing this when we expand)

EDIT: my mistake; below isn't the same product I bought back then, this looks just like a regular rug.

also Amazon has a couple:
    https://www.amazon.com/Joy-Carpets-Fluorescent-Kapow-Area/dp/B09PC6GJFG/ref=sr_1_4

4 weeks later
    #21429 1 year ago
    Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

Easy now...your in the USA

He’s right - the building industry in Australia, New Zealand, Japan are decades ahead of what we do here. Just with concrete alone!

Japanese homes are commonly leveled and built from scratch when sold, which has forced the industry to get really efficient really quickly. We just haven’t had a push to force things to change here.

That game room and the attic in particular is amazing! Love all the glass. (Your proximity to China compared to the States must have a huge positive effect on prices!)

#21437 1 year ago
    Quoted from gumnut01:

Didn’t use an architect and most things we thought of the builder had never done before. We just kept trying new things. The black ceiling is actually zinc. Probably one of the only poured concrete walls in our suburb. Stuff like this happens in our inner city suburbs but not so much further out where we are.
    We had a bit of money from a deceased estate and just went for it. On the other side of 50 and don’t want to put things off to the future anymore. So decided to get everything we wanted now whilst we can still enjoy. Wife got a gym so all fair - she does play as well.
    Maybe an architect could have done better, I’m just cheap and don’t want to pay an architect 70k. Btw, materials not inexpensive in Australia. Council fees etc cost me 50k. Stormwater regulations cost me another 30k, trees - don’t get me started! Anyway loving the space at last. Thanks for the praise, appreciated.

Wow, 70K for an architect! After doing our big addition last year I definitely recommend working with one - but it looks like you didn’t need it! I can tell you we did not pay anywhere in the universe of 70K, and I did appreciate some of the cost savings - I think she paid for herself just in revising my designs to lower the amount of work but still have the same outcome. I suppose it could even hold you back with not being able to think creatively (depends on the person obviously)

Anyway, huge amount of work, but you can see it all paid off. Well done

Every Aussie gameroom I’ve seen here has been incredible. I do wish we didn’t live in such an expensive area in the States.

1 week later
    #21476 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That owl looks great. Makes me wonder how you could turn it into a full width topper with animated lighting making rays come out from behind it.
    [quoted image]

Oh hell yes! This makes me want to get a Rush RIGHT NOW!

#21494 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Never heard of Rush till i heard the pinball announced, never heard the drummers name before now.
    As far as drummers go, i hear John Bonham had a bit of an idea....

I just fell over dead. You know Bonham but not Peart? Know Zeppelin’s drummer by name but Never HEARD of Rush?!

#21497 1 year ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Absolutely.
    [quoted image]
    You people don't realize it was like The Angels or The Radiators here. Big name local bands.
    The entire rest of the fucking world has never hear of Rush. Just cause it's big in Canada it shouldn't blow your mind that no-one on the other side of the world has heard of it. Get a grip.

Ok we’re all in good fun here. My fault for not realizing it, but yeah Rush is not big time in the down under. I’m into Scandinavian metal, and you should see the looks I get when I wear an Amorphis shirt (“what the hell is that? Some chemistry project?” )

#21534 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

I have a question regarding some of the larger game rooms (a lot of games). Do many of you have to rework the electrical wiring in the room to provide enough juice so the machines are not tripping the house electrical panel? Obviously, I am not an electrician and wonder how many machines I can simply plug into the normal wall electrical outlets before I may start running into issues. Thanks.

Depends on how many games of course - but I have a single 20A breaker I run 6 games off of, and there seems to be no issue. All my games are newer, mind you. DMD and later

1 week later
    #21623 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spitfiren8:Unfortunately I can’t read French. Is there a translation link on the page?

If you use Google Chrome, it should suggest translating to English. Not sure if you’re on a phone, but the computer version shows a pop-up when it detects the language

1 month later
    #21817 12 months ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Renovated the gameroom. Wife said to go ‘new black’ (paint colour). I reckon it worked out ok.

digging that color!

2 weeks later
    #21898 11 months ago
    Quoted from animesuperj:

Finally got around to a small project that's been on my list for a while. Added a wired connection on Cuba Libre instead of running off the battery. Also put in a splitter and UV led strip on the bottom for helping get a bit more glow on the carpet.

How does that Cuba Libre game work? I’ve always been fascinated by it

#21902 11 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Please post up pics of accent walls, behind pins. Need to create some sort of game room effect out of 2 pins and a wall!
    [quoted image]

So I’m working on a plan to do kind of an “escape room” theme in my basement. I’ve got a Star Wars themed workshop (no pins, just tools) modelled after Galaxy’s Edge, but I’m thinking of doing my game room as an Egyptian temple using panels from this company:

https://www.ncvcreative.com/

They kind of lean toward haunted house stuff, but I originally considered doing their Space theme (and I just got an Alien so I may still…) Anyway, I’ve seen them in person and not only are they inexpensive, but they look GREAT up close.

#21906 11 months ago
    Quoted from animesuperj:

It's a figure 8 for the playfield, manually load a ball and shoot it. Try to get it on your opponents side. There are 3 gobble holes per side, and once the game is over there's a manual leveler to release the balls in the goal.
    Only power is from a battery for an led strip in the body and head, but it didn't last super long.

Very cool - I didn’t realize it was kind of a manual game, but I see the balls sitting there in the photo

#21911 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I would have expected those to be way more expensive -
    I might order some of those for my mad scientist themed bar -
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Your photos were kind of the inspiration in the first place! I pivoted to the egyptian theme since that's what everyone got most excited about (and I think their designs in that category far outweigh the others). They are super inexpensive, and *fairly* robust. They can't take a hockey puck without damage (as me how I know), but if you've even just got drywall behind them they'll be fine. I insulated the room so I'm just using them as the main wall cover since it's all background anyway - my main problem is that the framers put the studs 24" apart instead of 16, but since these are 4' panels, it works out pretty well.

#21913 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

Reminds me of this…
    [quoted image]

It's not that far off! Professor Krassman's big machine is a tv video editor and audio mixer

#21915 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pinkitten:

Kudos for knowing Prof Krassman’s name, and for identifying his machine! I love Mel Brooks in that cameo. “You think we’re sleeping in Düsseldorf? You think we’re taking a nap in Cologne? No! Thank you, herr machine.”

Me too! I’m pretty sure that was the first time I was aware of Mel Brooks, and that led to an amazing adventure tracking down his films. I’m dying to know if he ad-lobbed that scenery.

I was a huge fan of Sid Caesar too (lots of reruns when I was a kid, I guess) and was amazed when I found out he was a writer on that show as well.

#21922 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinballGalore:

What if you took a set of AirPods and stuck them in the headset ? You could just have it function as an extension of your iPhone, for example. Just thinking of the smooth transition if you pick it up and just like the headset, it crosses over from the phone to the earpiece smoothly

Or get one of these guys: https://www.amazon.com/Cell2jack-Cellphone-Adapter-Receive-landline/dp/B089984QRT

1 week later
    #21972 11 months ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

A few current pics of my space, showing the "shrine" that's allocated for the Godfather CE when it arrives in June. After a bit of adjustment, I managed to find extra room.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

What’s that thing hanging above the bar? Looks like it has a covered wagon or something in it ?

#21975 11 months ago
    Quoted from ramegoom:

It's called the Budweiser Clydesdale Carousel motion beer sign. Made in the mid 60s motorized and lighted.

I’m going on the hunt…

#21977 11 months ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Wear pants with deep pockets. These ain't cheap! LOL
    Chris

Ha! I appreciate the warning. That’s not a huge concern, but there’s a cost/benefit ratio to consider

1 week later
    #22057 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Who gives a shit that someone else has the same artwork as another? Decorate your game room in a way that it means something to you, not for the sake of being different.
    Reminds me of teens. “I’m going Goth to be different”. Yeaaaaah. Like all the other teens doing the same. Trying too hard to be unique & different is a waste of time. Everyone IS unique in some way. Just be you.

Having a hard time understanding this one. If you’re putting together a really expensive game room, what’s wrong with wanting to have unique stuff?

… also.. just how many goth kids did you HAVE in your high school?!

#22078 10 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Can we at least keep this thread devoid of hate.
    Good for you, nobody cares what you thought was cool.

I think you’re reading a lot of sarcasm into his comment which isn’t there. There’s not a lot of arcades around anymore

1 month later
    #22245 9 months ago
    Quoted from billsfanmd:

Game room coming together. Was thinking about brick wall paper or some other faux brick but I wen with the providence thin brick from lowes with mortar. Limited to 6 pins and once I finally find ES Ill be at capacity.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Looking really good! That brick looks real - is this room an extension? The timbers look great.

#22295 9 months ago

Can I get some background info on that Aliens arcade game. Is that an original, or is there some DIY going on there? looks great

#22300 9 months ago
    Quoted from Moomert1:

Its a homemade system. Hanging on the back of the pedestal are 2 Sinden Light Guns. The system runs Launchbox and I use multiple emulators including Teknoparrot and MAME. The part of the pedestal which has green t-molding I got from Arcade Solutions. The top part (guns, gun base, labels, etc) is a combination of Chinese knockoff parts, Global VR parts, and 3D printing.

Unbelievable. I’m going to start working on this. That is amazing!

#22302 9 months ago
    Quoted from Moomert1:

Launchbox and Teknoparrot are really easy once you know what you are doing. The set up for the Sinden guns was a pain....but once finished, they work pretty damn good. If you want to see how some of the games play on my set up, look up my YT channel...........same name.

I’m not too worried about Launchbox/Teknoparrot. Those seem similar to the various front ends to MAME and retro arch. Already read up on the Sinden guns. Pricey! But the ones with the auto feedback seem well worth it. I’ll check out your channel; thanks for the tip!m
    Sorry one last thing: what’s the screen size on your setup?

#22321 9 months ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Just got it for Father’s Day, haven’t even made it off of the big sky island

The game is HUUUUUUUUUGE. Just take your time

#22328 9 months ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

That might be next on the list for my buddies and I…. But these two are going to get in the way too[quoted image][quoted image]

Oh damn did the Darktower revamp finally come out? Wow

#22332 9 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What you talking about Willis?

3 or 4 posts above. “Return to darktower”

#22339 9 months ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

Devastator!
    I got better things to do tonight than die.

Neil Ross! HIGHLY underrated voice actor, amazing dude. All of the original TF guys are like comedians when they tell the old stories. Neil also does the voiceover in BTTF 2 when Biff has a museum and Marty's watching the biographical video

1 week later
    #22371 9 months ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Another random question.............
    Whenever we have people over we usually end up in the gameroom at some point. There are 17 games to choose from including pinball and arcade, plus a pool table. INEVITABLY someone will always say "Why don't you get (insert game name here)?
    Does anyone else get this? Just curious.
    Chris

Absolutely. More often it's "did they make a game out of [XX]? You should get that." I don't have 17 games and not everybody's that into horror (my collection happens to be almost all horror related games right now), but they're all fun and approachable

#22392 9 months ago
    Quoted from mc300baud:

i don't have space for a proper game room at home [yet] so i make mine elsewhere.
    the location owners decorated while remodeling the space and i supplied the games.
    [quoted image]

Love that red lodge setup!

2 months later
    #22740 6 months ago
    Quoted from Ballderdash:How are you getting pins in and out? Oversized doors. Eliminate stairs. Easy access walk-out. Also consider what furniture etc will go in front of your pins and space it far enough away so that you can pull out the glass. I ran my full length shuffleboard across my basement before collecting pins. Then I had to hire help just to relocate it 6 inches further back when I noticed I couldn’t service the machines.

Can't emphasize enough how excellent this advise is.

3 months later
    #23166 3 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I have can lighting in my basement. The ones above my pins are unplugged as the glare is horrible. Even with anti reflective glass, just reflection off of the playfields is awful. Don't do it, or if you do have alternative lighting available for when you play pinball.

There is a positional replacement product which lets you replace the can bulbs with LEDs, but the LED mount can be rotated and pivoted - allows you to avoid those spotlight blasts right on the glass. I bought at Lowes, I'm sure they are available online

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-pic-of-games-rooms?tu=Rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.