Topic Stats

• 13,746 posts
  • 1,696 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Skyemont
  • Topic is favorited by 708 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 9,241 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7C570E2B-7255-41CF-B644-2BCA4EF3629F (resized).jpeg
    D6C10B83-D3E2-4D81-8EF5-66CB5E65F64A (resized).jpeg
    9F5C1F85-065F-471F-BDC5-5654E3D08F97 (resized).jpeg
    MVIMG_20190817_234258 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0568 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0567 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0566 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0565 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0564 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0562 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0572 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0571 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0570 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0569 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20190817_211832_972 (resized).jpg

There are 13746 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 275.
    #8401 2 years ago
    Quoted from snowvictim:

Not really a gameroom pic, but it's something I made for my gameroom. I didn't want to start a new thread for this, yet I still felt like sharing it on Pinside. Maybe someone will be inspired.
    Conscious of the fact that Medieval Madness is, both, out of my budget and out of my capacity (I only have room for 4 games, apart from the basement, but it's damp and floods often, while also being tough to get the games down there, so I don't want to keep them there. I've got a TZ, TOTAN, picking up a CFTBL on Thursday, and the last one will be a TAF), I still felt like I want it in my gameroom somehow. I remembered that I have a MM mini-translite, and I've come up with this:

Basically, I've called this a minibackbox, which I intend to hang on the wall of my gameroom. As you can see, I also have the mini-translites for TOM and AFM, which will also be used for minibackboxes as it looks rather nice. The project is not finished yet, I'm looking into some solution for a "miniDMD", or at least a way of having the title screen showing up nicely. The speaker panel "grille" also needs installing. It works pretty much like a normal backbox, in that I can remove the translite and access the stuff inside (I intend to put an Arduino board running a very basic lightshow in it. Considering either standalone 9V batteries or powering it up through a normal socket). A short description of the project for anyone who wants a read:
    I started off by measuring the backbox and scaling it down to fit the translite. The scale factor was x0.388. I assembled the backbox by cutting it out of 6mm plywood pieces cut to match the individual pieces of the genuine backboard. They were glued together using both hot glue and standard wood glue.
    After that was done, I created the DMD/speaker panel in Google SketchUp using the same scaling. I exported the SketchUp file to an .stl file for 3D printing and sent the part off for printing. I was extremely happy with the results, and also happy with 3D printing (it's the first time I've done it and it's something I'm looking into for a TAF project I intend to undertake over the summer).
    Next, I found the backbox decals for MM. There was a problem with them since they appeared to be cropped slightly, so the backbox decal on the minibackbox isn't identical to the real one (it's stretched to fit the wood). I also made a Williams logo decal, since extruding it in SketchUp was an absolute nightmare, and it would stand out 0.5mm, so it'd be barely noticeable anyway.
    Lastly, I cut a "trench" in the inside of the top of the backbox for the minitranslite to slide in like it does on an actual game. I've attached two pieces of balsa across the length of the inside of the top to keep it in place. When all the woodwork was done I sprayed 5 layers of black, then I glued the speaker panel with hot glue into the minibackbox once the paint had dried. After that, I applied the decals. The last step of the manual stuff will be to get a layer of clearcoat onto it. I applied very little hot glue since the panel fit in snug, so it'll come off for the clearcoating. When that gets done I'll create all the light-related stuff and program my Arduino to perform a very basic lightshow.

As a finishing note, I'm really happy with the way this came out. For someone like me, limited by both space and money in a hobby I love, this is a very elegant solution to supplement a game room with games I most likely won't ever have (unless I win the lottery or something...). Sorry for rambling on and on like this, I'll shut up now.

Outstanding craftsmanship. Can't wait to see it when it's all lit up.

#8402 2 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Have you considered installment a RunDMD clock in the box?

Beat me to it ,
    Totally, a run dmd clock would be perfect.

#8404 2 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

Have you considered installment a RunDMD clock in the box?

That looks amazing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this only work for normal pin-sized DMDs?

#8405 2 years ago
    Quoted from snowvictim:

Not really a gameroom pic, but it's something I made for my gameroom. I didn't want to start a new thread for this, yet I still felt like sharing it on Pinside. Maybe someone will be inspired.
    Conscious of the fact that Medieval Madness is, both, out of my budget and out of my capacity (I only have room for 4 games, apart from the basement, but it's damp and floods often, while also being tough to get the games down there, so I don't want to keep them there. I've got a TZ, TOTAN, picking up a CFTBL on Thursday, and the last one will be a TAF), I still felt like I want it in my gameroom somehow. I remembered that I have a MM mini-translite, and I've come up with this:

Basically, I've called this a minibackbox, which I intend to hang on the wall of my gameroom. As you can see, I also have the mini-translites for TOM and AFM, which will also be used for minibackboxes as it looks rather nice. The project is not finished yet, I'm looking into some solution for a "miniDMD", or at least a way of having the title screen showing up nicely. The speaker panel "grille" also needs installing. It works pretty much like a normal backbox, in that I can remove the translite and access the stuff inside (I intend to put an Arduino board running a very basic lightshow in it. Considering either standalone 9V batteries or powering it up through a normal socket). A short description of the project for anyone who wants a read:
    I started off by measuring the backbox and scaling it down to fit the translite. The scale factor was x0.388. I assembled the backbox by cutting it out of 6mm plywood pieces cut to match the individual pieces of the genuine backboard. They were glued together using both hot glue and standard wood glue.
    After that was done, I created the DMD/speaker panel in Google SketchUp using the same scaling. I exported the SketchUp file to an .stl file for 3D printing and sent the part off for printing. I was extremely happy with the results, and also happy with 3D printing (it's the first time I've done it and it's something I'm looking into for a TAF project I intend to undertake over the summer).
    Next, I found the backbox decals for MM. There was a problem with them since they appeared to be cropped slightly, so the backbox decal on the minibackbox isn't identical to the real one (it's stretched to fit the wood). I also made a Williams logo decal, since extruding it in SketchUp was an absolute nightmare, and it would stand out 0.5mm, so it'd be barely noticeable anyway.
    Lastly, I cut a "trench" in the inside of the top of the backbox for the minitranslite to slide in like it does on an actual game. I've attached two pieces of balsa across the length of the inside of the top to keep it in place. When all the woodwork was done I sprayed 5 layers of black, then I glued the speaker panel with hot glue into the minibackbox once the paint had dried. After that, I applied the decals. The last step of the manual stuff will be to get a layer of clearcoat onto it. I applied very little hot glue since the panel fit in snug, so it'll come off for the clearcoating. When that gets done I'll create all the light-related stuff and program my Arduino to perform a very basic lightshow.

As a finishing note, I'm really happy with the way this came out. For someone like me, limited by both space and money in a hobby I love, this is a very elegant solution to supplement a game room with games I most likely won't ever have (unless I win the lottery or something...). Sorry for rambling on and on like this, I'll shut up now.

Cool idea.

You could mount a small LCD screen where the DMD normally goes, run a PC to the screen with Visual PinMAME running the Medieval Madness Rom in attract mode

#8406 2 years ago
    Quoted from Esoteric_rt:

Cool idea.
    You could mount a small LCD screen where the DMD normally goes, run a PC to the screen with Visual PinMAME running the Medieval Madness Rom in attract mode

That's a good idea, too! I'm working on a few interesting solutions. I'll definitely post updates as I go. The solution with an Arduino is my preferred route as I've got experience with configuring it, and it can run both the sounds and the lights. The image is going to be the biggest challenge, and it'll most likely end up being static. :/

#8407 2 years ago

That mini translite would be an awesome clock

Quoted from snowvictim:

#8408 2 years ago
    Quoted from snowvictim:

Conscious of the fact that Medieval Madness is, both, out of my budget and out of my capacity (I only have room for 4 games, apart from the basement, but it's damp and floods often, while also being tough to get the games down there, so I don't want to keep them there. I've got a TZ, TOTAN, picking up a CFTBL on Thursday, and the last one will be a TAF), I still felt like I want it in my gameroom somehow.

So cool... where did you get those mini-translites?

PS: Dude, with TZ, TotAN, CtBL and TAF, you already got the cream of the pinball crop!

#8409 2 years ago

IMG_20170411_214116 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170411_213954 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170411_213700 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170411_213939 (resized).jpg

#8410 2 years ago
    Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So cool... where did you get those mini-translites?
    PS: Dude, with TZ, TotAN, CtBL and TAF, you already got the cream of the pinball crop!

Ministry of Pinball. Some are out of stock now.
    The covers for the cabinet you have look amazing!!! I teared up a bit when I saw your EATPM - I just sold mine today!
    TZ, TOTAN, CFTBL, TAF is, in my opinion, an amazing collection. My "dream team" would be enlarged by MM and TOM.

#8411 2 years ago

Had some visit from my litte buddies yesterday (and I tried some "natural" white LEDs in King Pin... I'll be rolling that back )

17855422_10154271025815755_6424236861358756705_o (resized).jpg

#8412 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Love the Slim Jim shark advertising. Whats the story on that? Don't think I've ever seen one.
    John

You guys must have bought up all the Slim Jim shark heads on Ebay.

#8413 2 years ago

In the middle of a garage remodel, but have all the pins back in! 3 weeks pinless is not a good time. Some before/during and afters. Mechanically polished garage floor, mud/taped, primed, painted, barn wooded, new lights, trim. Probably a few other things I forgot.

20170411_211613 (resized).jpg
    20170411_211616 (resized).jpg
    20170411_211618 (resized).jpg
    20170410_203924 (resized).jpg
    20170410_141406 (resized).jpg
    20170410_115000 (resized).jpg
    20170409_110220 (resized).jpg
    20170408_215553 (resized).jpg
    20170408_112738 (resized).jpg
    20170408_182950 (resized).jpg
    20170408_143141 (resized).jpg
    20170404_083602 (resized).jpg
    20170401_200354 (resized).jpg
    20170401_185139 (resized).jpg
    20170326_143459 (resized).jpg
    20170308_162705 (resized).jpg
    20170209_072153 (resized).jpg

#8414 2 years ago

Love the wood on the walls very nice. What a great space.

#8415 2 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

In the middle of a garage remodel, but have all the pins back in! 3 weeks pinless is not a good time. Some before/during and afters. Mechanically polished garage floor, mud/taped, primed, painted, barn wooded, new lights, trim. Probably a few other things I forgot.

An awesome transformation, great job!
    Looks fantastic, what a change.

#8416 2 years ago

Nothing worse than looking at game rooms WITHOUT drywall. 50k in pins but not $3000 in drywall! Haha, see it so many times too! Haha. (Drywaller rant!)

#8417 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Nothing worse than looking at game rooms WITHOUT drywall. 50k in pins but not $3000 in drywall! Haha, see it so many times too! Haha. (Drywaller rant!)

Unfinished basements rule. Drywall drools!

#8418 2 years ago

LOVE those pin covers. Did you do those your self?

#8419 2 years ago
    Quoted from snowvictim:

Ministry of Pinball. Some are out of stock now.

Cool! I'll check it out!

Quoted from snowvictim:

I teared up a bit when I saw your EATPM - I just sold mine today!
    TZ, TOTAN, CFTBL, TAF is, in my opinion, an amazing collection. My "dream team" would be enlarged by MM and TOM.

Oh man.... I could sell or trade all of my pins except both of my Elvira's.... I once owned a MM but didn't like it at all (sold in a heartbeat), but I'd love to get a me a ToM too!

Quoted from snowvictim:

The covers for the cabinet you have look amazing!!!

Quoted from Boomer71:

Thanks! They're basically custom beach towels. Found the images on the web and had them made with a local vendor! No biggie really...

#8420 2 years ago
    Quoted from simplykind:

I love what you did with the ends of the accent wall where the wood is broken. Excellent idea!

Quoted from Boomer71:

I might be able to help with this one. I had some custom movie posters printed for my theater to hide acoustical treatments. I had them done my www.myfabricdesigns.com

You just upload your image, choose your material and punch in your credit card number. They do great work.

#8421 2 years ago

Thanks, I will give that a look into.

#8422 2 years ago

That's it, for now... Going TAF hunting in December!

IMG_1051 (resized).JPG

#8423 2 years ago

Still a work in progress.

IMG_0376 (resized).JPG

IMG_0381 (resized).JPG

IMG_0379 (resized).JPG

IMG_0382 (resized).JPG

IMG_0383 (resized).JPG

IMG_0388 (resized).JPG

IMG_0389 (resized).JPG

IMG_0392 (resized).JPG

IMG_0393 (resized).JPG

IMG_0394 (resized).JPG

IMG_0395 (resized).JPG

IMG_0403 (resized).JPG

IMG_0416 (resized).JPG

#8424 2 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Nice Data East lineup! I'm guilty of not owning any right now, but I'm a fan. Used to own a TFTC and WWF and they were awesome.

#8425 2 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

NICE setup... that Ms Pac Pic with Jesus Quintana, Yikes! that thing gives me the creeps, hehe

Great Space though!

1 week later
    #8426 2 years ago

I'm prepairing to start finishing off the last little bit of my basement. Not much, it will end up being about 9X20' when done... But, I need some motivation, lets see some photos!!!

What have some of you done with tight spaces?

#8427 2 years ago

Just look at the first 168 pages of this thread

#8428 2 years ago

This is my mock set up I'm working towards. The pin on the bottom right may need to go if it's too tight.

20170424_182753 (resized).jpg

#8429 2 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Just look at the first 168 pages of this thread

Done that!
    I just enjoy this thread, and wanted to give it a little bump! Hopefully I will have some good progress to post soon!

#8430 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolv3:

This is my mock set up I'm working towards. The pin on the bottom right may need to go if it's too tight.

Is that bottom wall with the door a load bearing wall? If not just take it out. If it is, wall up the door and put a double glass French door in the middle or even a sliding double barn door on the outside of the room, or double pocket doors. Remember the legs stick out on the sides on both front and back.

#8431 2 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Is that bottom wall with the door a load bearing wall? If not just take it out. If it is, wall up the door and put a double glass French door in the middle or even a sliding double barn door on the outside of the room, or double pocket doors. Remember the legs stick out on the sides on both front and back.

I like your thinking, the room on the bottom is actually about a 1' higher so it won't work.

What distance are people giving for pins? I went with 85" from front to back with room to play.

#8432 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

I'm prepairing to start finishing off the last little bit of my basement. Not much, it will end up being about 9X20' when done... But, I need some motivation, lets see some photos!!!

Quoted from wolv3:

I like what this ohio state fan did with the barn door and looks like 10 ft deep max.

883a2820b3795a302c1d7ab652f14cf3de176934 (1) (resized).jpg

#8433 2 years ago

Thanks for the mention - Go Bucks!!! Go Blue Jackets - whoops lost in the first round again...
    Yes, it is about 10 feet deep max and width is just enough for 7 pins with about 1/2" (or roughly 1.5 cm) in between. The floor is a tan epoxy resin and the walls are painted with waterproofing and then battleship grey paint. Depending on which neon signs are one it can look anywhere from pink to blue to green in the pinball cave.

#8434 2 years ago

Same game room. Updated collection. NEW CAMERA

wideangle_042517 (resized).jpg

#8435 2 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

Love the kiddie corral in the foreground

#8436 2 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

Same game room. Updated collection.

That's your game room in Webster?! Do you sometime have gatherings?
    4.5 x 9' Pool Table? (T)

#8437 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolv3:

If the spacing is tight, you can bring one game forward slightly, and push another game back further to where the heads overlap each other. If the heads are butted up to each other flush, then there is space between the games. You can take advantage of this space by overlapping the heads a little bit. (Hopefully that made sense.)

#8438 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolv3:

The pin on the bottom right may need to go if it's too tight.

Safe Cracker!

#8439 2 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

Nice set up!! And there's the Catacomb you said you would be selling to me...

Quoted from yzfguy:

Love the kiddie corral in the foreground

And no...that is where his wife makes him sit for an hour every time he brings home another game.

#8440 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrockne:

11 x 15 with 5 pins and gun game (not yet restored)

20161225_174357 (resized).jpg

#8441 2 years ago

Love the carpet.

#8442 2 years ago

IMG_8107 (resized).PNG

#8443 2 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

11 x 15 with 5 pins and gun game (not yet restored)

You must have black lights under your games, so do I.

#8444 2 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Here's what the controller and one of the strips look like so you can make sure your getting the right ones. The controller is high quality so they fade between colors beautifully, not like the cheap little controllers you get when you buy other kits, their fade effects are horrible. Don't know if Amazon would have these Ikea ones.

Late reply, but I used those a few years back in a couple of display cases. Just an FYI to those out there who may be considering using them: if you have to extend the harness, be aware the wires are extremely thin, and don't need much heat with the solder. My cases look like this:

IMG_9347 (resized).JPG

IMG_9346 (resized).JPG

#8445 2 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Looking good brotha....

#8446 2 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

My cases look like this:

Is that the 50th anniversary pirate? He looks tall. so jealous, it looks great.

#8447 2 years ago
    Quoted from bicyclenut:

Is that the 50th anniversary pirate? He looks tall. so jealous, it looks great.

No, I picked this up at least 10 years ago, if not more. It was one of the Disney 'Big Fig' statues. He is pretty tall, close to 2', if not more.

#8448 2 years ago

Way to go with the snow boards, so cool!

#8449 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chosen_S:

Way to go with the snow boards, so cool!

He got the second one from the right from Banana Republic.

#8450 2 years ago

Nice collection of pins and boards.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 59.95
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 26.50
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 60.00
    $ 9,500.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 21.00
    $ 125.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 59.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    There are 13746 posts in this topic. You are on page 169 of 275.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside