Quoted from snowvictim:
Not really a gameroom pic, but it's something I made for my gameroom. I didn't want to start a new thread for this, yet I still felt like sharing it on Pinside. Maybe someone will be inspired.
Conscious of the fact that Medieval Madness is, both, out of my budget and out of my capacity (I only have room for 4 games, apart from the basement, but it's damp and floods often, while also being tough to get the games down there, so I don't want to keep them there. I've got a TZ, TOTAN, picking up a CFTBL on Thursday, and the last one will be a TAF), I still felt like I want it in my gameroom somehow. I remembered that I have a MM mini-translite, and I've come up with this:
Basically, I've called this a minibackbox, which I intend to hang on the wall of my gameroom. As you can see, I also have the mini-translites for TOM and AFM, which will also be used for minibackboxes as it looks rather nice. The project is not finished yet, I'm looking into some solution for a "miniDMD", or at least a way of having the title screen showing up nicely. The speaker panel "grille" also needs installing. It works pretty much like a normal backbox, in that I can remove the translite and access the stuff inside (I intend to put an Arduino board running a very basic lightshow in it. Considering either standalone 9V batteries or powering it up through a normal socket). A short description of the project for anyone who wants a read:
I started off by measuring the backbox and scaling it down to fit the translite. The scale factor was x0.388. I assembled the backbox by cutting it out of 6mm plywood pieces cut to match the individual pieces of the genuine backboard. They were glued together using both hot glue and standard wood glue.
After that was done, I created the DMD/speaker panel in Google SketchUp using the same scaling. I exported the SketchUp file to an .stl file for 3D printing and sent the part off for printing. I was extremely happy with the results, and also happy with 3D printing (it's the first time I've done it and it's something I'm looking into for a TAF project I intend to undertake over the summer).
Next, I found the backbox decals for MM. There was a problem with them since they appeared to be cropped slightly, so the backbox decal on the minibackbox isn't identical to the real one (it's stretched to fit the wood). I also made a Williams logo decal, since extruding it in SketchUp was an absolute nightmare, and it would stand out 0.5mm, so it'd be barely noticeable anyway.
Lastly, I cut a "trench" in the inside of the top of the backbox for the minitranslite to slide in like it does on an actual game. I've attached two pieces of balsa across the length of the inside of the top to keep it in place. When all the woodwork was done I sprayed 5 layers of black, then I glued the speaker panel with hot glue into the minibackbox once the paint had dried. After that, I applied the decals. The last step of the manual stuff will be to get a layer of clearcoat onto it. I applied very little hot glue since the panel fit in snug, so it'll come off for the clearcoating. When that gets done I'll create all the light-related stuff and program my Arduino to perform a very basic lightshow.
As a finishing note, I'm really happy with the way this came out. For someone like me, limited by both space and money in a hobby I love, this is a very elegant solution to supplement a game room with games I most likely won't ever have (unless I win the lottery or something...). Sorry for rambling on and on like this, I'll shut up now.
Outstanding craftsmanship. Can't wait to see it when it's all lit up.