(Topic ID: 24420)

Lets see if pinball really is a rich mans hobby.

By the_pin_family

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DBLM
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Annual household income”

• $30,000 and below 42 votes
      5%
    • $30,000-$50,000 76 votes
      9%
    • $50,000-$75,000 122 votes
      15%
    • $75,000-$100,000 137 votes
      17%
    • $100,000-$150,000 191 votes
      23%
    • $150,000-$200,000 99 votes
      12%
    • $200,000-$300,000 87 votes
      11%
    • $300,000-$500,000 42 votes
      5%
    • $500,000+ 32 votes
      4%

(828 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eyes (resized).JPG
    ted eyes 150.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 11 years ago

Not a rich man's hobby. The OP said it well. You can get lots of games very cheap, fix them up, and have some great games at low cost. If you're the type that only wants "A-List" games or the latest NIB title from Stern, well, then you will need a lot of disposable income. But pinball is far, far more varied than that, and there's lots of fun to be had on a budget.

#70 11 years ago
    Quoted from pepind:

Even for collecting machines, you don't necessarily have to be rich or even particularly well off, it just depends on how you choose to be in the hobby.
    Myself, I'm very much on the lower tail of the poll results. I had to save up for awhile to buy my first machine ($700) and that's by far the most I've spent on any one that I have owned. I usually buy in the the $2-400 price range, and have even gotten a few freebies. Yes, they are fixer uppers, but that's half the fun for me. Are they HUO/CQ/NIB/etc. condition? No, but can they be cleaned up and presentable!
    There's more to the pinball hobby than just buying the latest NIB or flavor of the month (AFM, etc) and blinging it out with hundreds of dollars of LEDs, powdercoating, toppers etc. Personally, I find much of that stuff to be gaudy, and prefer the stock look. Also, I don't like a lot of the newer games compared to my older ones. The newer games I do like are generally not well liked, so go figure... (WoF is favorite Stern if that says anything).
    Many people on this board have spend more money on "mods" than I spend buying and repairing a number of machines. If you think that you HAVE to add LEDs, high-end clear coat, mirror blades, toppers, powdercoating, etc, then YES, it is a rich man's hobby. But, if you're looking for something fun to hit a ball around on, tinker with from time to time, then it certainly doesn't have to be

Well said! You, sir, are not a pinkhatter!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-if-pinball-really-is-a-rich-mans-hobby?tu=stevenp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.