(Topic ID: 24420)

Lets see if pinball really is a rich mans hobby.

By the_pin_family

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DBLM
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Annual household income”

• $30,000 and below 42 votes
      5%
    • $30,000-$50,000 76 votes
      9%
    • $50,000-$75,000 122 votes
      15%
    • $75,000-$100,000 137 votes
      17%
    • $100,000-$150,000 191 votes
      23%
    • $150,000-$200,000 99 votes
      12%
    • $200,000-$300,000 87 votes
      11%
    • $300,000-$500,000 42 votes
      5%
    • $500,000+ 32 votes
      4%

(828 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eyes (resized).JPG
    ted eyes 150.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Is it a rich man's hobby? First we need to know what a rich man is. Is it someone who makes twice what I do but is saddled with excessive debt? Is it someone who makes what I do but has no debt? The income side is just half the equation folks.

That's not true at all.

Cost of living in certain areas is higher, and maybe an argument could be made that that should be taken into consideration, but just because a "rich" person has a lot of debt, doesn't mean that the amount of money that they earn doesn't make them rich.

If someone makes $3 million a year they are rich. The fact that they might have debt equal to that amount because of buying things like jets, yachts, vacation homes, etc etc doesn't mean that they suddenly no longer define the definition of being rich. It just means they are stupid. And most rich people aren't stupid!

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

That is exactly why I was careful to use the term "excessive debt". We all need to live within our means, whatever that level may be. My point is that once the basics of life are taken care of (escaping poverty), everyone's concept of what rich is varies. That is, except for extreme cases like Bill Gates. I think we can all agree that he is "rich".

Ok, I have no problem with that point and I agree with you completely.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

This logic makes no sense at all. If someone earned 200 million dollars throughout their career, yet they are currently in debt, they're not rich. They're broke. Just ask Allen Iverson.

Semantics. The vast majority of people would call what Allen Iverson made per year in the NBA as making him rich. Just because he spent it all (and more) doesn't take away the fact that he earned what he earned. He just means that he's an idiot, who indeed at the end was broke (and no longer rich) because of it.

3 months later
    #111 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

Lost touch? I grew up well below the poverty level and have since traveled to many third world countries. I know how the rest of the world lives. The poll does not start at 30 thousand dollars. It starts at 30 thousand dollars and BELOW. The reason the poll starts at $30,000 and BELOW is I could only add 9 categories. The word "BELOW" means anyone who makes anywhere between 1 cent a year and $30,000 a year. Since this is a thread about being rich or not in this hobby I felt I should include as many different incomes as possible. Maybe I should have included indentured servants also. Would that make you feel better? How about the people in this world that work for rice? Would you be happier if they were included? Bitter much? You shouldn't be, you can afford a pinball machine.

I loved this response!

#125 11 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

But i think 150k a year and above would suit in this topic, anything above i consider as rich.

You may consider making over $150k a year "rich", but that certainly doesn't make it so, and I would submit that my definition of "rich" would be many, many times that.

Quoted from RTR:

Lots of people would consider anyone who has enough disposable income to buy a pin, enough space in their home to enjoy one, the ability to have internet access, and the time to hang out on forums and talk about it - to be rich....

Exactly. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

1 week later
    #189 11 years ago

I'm just glad that TheFamilyArcade is sticking to his promise not to talk politics anymore.

#207 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

This isn't politics asswipe. Its a reply to a bunch of know it alls here putting people down and claiming they are better people because they currently have jobs and pay taxes. The people making these comments should be ashamed of themselves. You must be very small minded people with deep seated issues that neither pinball, guns or your framed copy of the Declaration of I dependence will ever solve.
    I will NOT talk politics on Pinside any longer.
    Dude, you're just mad because you're not the biggest shit disturber here anymore. Stick to fighting with the moderators....I don't think you really want to wage a war of words or wit with me.

lol

TheFamilyArcade: *always* a class act!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-if-pinball-really-is-a-rich-mans-hobby?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.