(Topic ID: 24420)

Lets see if pinball really is a rich mans hobby.

By the_pin_family

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DBLM
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Annual household income”

• $30,000 and below 42 votes
      5%
    • $30,000-$50,000 76 votes
      9%
    • $50,000-$75,000 122 votes
      15%
    • $75,000-$100,000 137 votes
      17%
    • $100,000-$150,000 191 votes
      23%
    • $150,000-$200,000 99 votes
      12%
    • $200,000-$300,000 87 votes
      11%
    • $300,000-$500,000 42 votes
      5%
    • $500,000+ 32 votes
      4%

(828 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eyes (resized).JPG
    ted eyes 150.jpg
    There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
    #199 11 years ago

Pinball forum...

#200 11 years ago

I'm not wealthy by traditional standards.

I have a great family, a small collection of pins that I brought back to life and ample time to play/enjoy/repair them.

I feel like the wealthiest man alive!

#201 11 years ago
    Quoted from Prmailers:

I'm not wealthy by traditional standards.
    I have a great family, a small collection of pins that I brought back to life and ample time to play/enjoy/repair them.
    I feel like the wealthiest man alive!

I second that, also lucky to have chosen a great hobby full of good honest people

#202 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Pinball forum...

Where?

#203 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I second that, also lucky to have chosen a great hobby full of good honest people

As long as you don't need Genesis ramps anyways, LOL.

I think there's room in pinball for most income levels, as long as you're willing to accept that you might be playing an EM, doing a lot of work to get a playable machine, and that you'll never own a Big Bang Bar.

That said...it sure don't hurt to have money in this hobby. >=\

#204 11 years ago

While I have no problem with this thread, the conversation is really pointless.

Like any other hobby, or aspect of life, you will find people of all means. I collect comics books. I have a pretty sweet collection. I've never spent more than a couple hundred bucks on a book, a handful of times, in 30 years of collecting. I know people who drop 100G's on a book without blinking. I also know collectors who are perfectly happy diving through dollar boxes. What you end up owning is really a combination of dumb luck finding deals, discretionary income, and time spent searching.

In the worlds of pinball and cars, you can add the technical know-how to save project machines to the mix. Lot's of people can build great collections w/ very little money (I've known lots of car guys with nicer rides than I'll ever own who live in dumps and have no cash). Like everything else, there will be rich people, poor people, and the bulk will fall in the middle.

#205 11 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

While I have no problem with this thread, the conversation is really pointless.
    Like any other hobby, or aspect of life, you will find people of all means. I collect comics books. I have a pretty sweet collection. I've never spent more than a couple hundred bucks on a book, a handful of times, in 30 years of collecting. I know people who drop 100G's on a book without blinking. I also know collectors who are perfectly happy diving through dollar boxes. What you end up owning is really a combination of dumb luck finding deals, discretionary income, and time spent searching.
    In the worlds of pinball and cars, you can add the technical know-how to save project machines to the mix. Lot's of people can build great collections w/ very little money (I've known lots of car guys with nicer rides than I'll ever own who live in dumps and have no cash). Like everything else, there will be rich people, poor people, and the bulk will fall in the middle.

The point of the thread is to prove just this. It all started with a conversation between a friend and I. I wanted to show him he could also enjoy this hobby. As with most things in life, money helps but is not mandatory. You just have to want it and be willing to think outside the box and hustle a little.

#206 11 years ago

My advice for someone looking to get his or her first pin is to buy in at a level that is financially comfortable. Also, hold a few bucks aside for the inevitable repairs. Relax, draw all the enjoyment you can from your new pin, and don't worry about that NIB you don't have. Yet.

#207 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

This isn't politics asswipe. Its a reply to a bunch of know it alls here putting people down and claiming they are better people because they currently have jobs and pay taxes. The people making these comments should be ashamed of themselves. You must be very small minded people with deep seated issues that neither pinball, guns or your framed copy of the Declaration of I dependence will ever solve.
    I will NOT talk politics on Pinside any longer.
    Dude, you're just mad because you're not the biggest shit disturber here anymore. Stick to fighting with the moderators....I don't think you really want to wage a war of words or wit with me.

lol

TheFamilyArcade: *always* a class act!

#208 11 years ago

Just calling the BS out. If no one calls people on their prejudices and unfair judgements that's tacit acceptance. And accepting prejudice is not "classy". If people are going to freely post unsolicited crap in a public place they shouldn't be surprised when someone wants to flush it down.

#209 11 years ago

So it's okay for you to do it if someone else does? I just want to know the ground rules here.

Just calling the BS out. If no one calls people on their prejudices and unfair judgements that's tacit acceptance. And accepting prejudice is not "classy". If people are going to freely post unsolicited crap in a public place they shouldn't be surprised when someone wants to flush it down.

#210 11 years ago

It is not OK for anybody.

#211 11 years ago

That's what I thought, two wrongs still don't make a right, thanks for the answer.

Quoted from absocountry2:

It is not OK for anybody.

#212 11 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

So it's okay for you to do it if someone else does? I just want to know the ground rules here.

Yes, actually. Anyone can and should do it. You can track every thread and you won't see me posting something negative and inflammatory first....you'll see me respond to something someone posted. And typically I'm taking the side of the underdog, that either doesn't have a voice here or isn't using it.

I want to know specifically what I said that you took so personally and found so offensive? What did I say that was "wrong" in your righteous "judgement".

#213 11 years ago

That's not what a moderator just posted and I'm not going to answer to troll baited posts that have nothing to do with the subject line. Please try to follow the rules here and I will too.

Yes, actually. Anyone can and should do it.

#214 11 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

That's not what a moderator just posted and I'm not going to answer to troll baited posts that have nothing to do with the subject line. Please try to follow the rules here and I will too.

Answer my question. PM me now that your so concerned with the integrity of the thread. You weren't so interested earlier were you? Whatever.

#215 11 years ago

It takes more to walk away from a fight than to stay and fight it.

#216 11 years ago
    Quoted from absocountry2:

It takes more to walk away from a fight than to stay and fight it.

This has never been true in all of human history. It's only true on internet forums.

#217 11 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

This is a myth. There was a lot more of the Left saying the Right was complaining about the 47% than there ever was actual complaining about the 47% in the first place. It's just the Left engaging in class warfare, volume LXXVI.

It's good to know that most people on the right don't have a problem with the folks who don't pay federal income tax. Maybe they'll nominate someone more moderate next time who shares their sensibilities.

#218 11 years ago

Actually, I have no desire to talk with you by PM or real life for that matter and to be quite honest, your attitude on Pinside has given me no reason to.

Answer my question. PM me now that your so concerned with the integrity of the thread. You weren't so interested earlier were you? Whatever.

#219 11 years ago

Pinsiders, stay on topic. Pinball and cost here, or how much you make. We do not care who pays what taxes on Pinside.

#220 11 years ago

I would appreciate it if this thread didn't get closed. Some people find it impossible to keep a grasp on civility if a topic even close to politics comes about. If this is you or you feel your opinion is something others can't live without then please consider focusing your energy in the correct place, or a place people will pretend to give a shit.

http://www.politicsforum.org/

http://www.debatepolitics.com/

With 675 poll votes it would be nice if we could keep this thread open for people who do care enough about others to follow the forum rules. Thanks

#221 11 years ago

It will definitely stay open if members can stay way from any political banter as that is a violation of community rules.

4 years later
    #224 7 years ago

Interesting thread. It hasn't seen daylight in 4years so I'll give it a bump.

#225 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanaPinResto:

Interesting thread. It hasn't seen daylight in 4years so I'll give it a bump.

8,000 just like it have been started in the meantime so not really necessary.

#226 7 years ago

I haven't seen any. Not like this. So, there's 8000 polls on pinside about income?

1 week later
    #227 7 years ago

I have two kids in college. But I can afford a pin now and then(not NIB). I mostly buy beaters(love early SS Ballys and Williams) and then restore them best I can. Play for awhile and then sell. Usually at a profit(if you don't count the 1$per hour labor that I put into them). Have a friend that makes below 30K a year and he still has a nice collection. He is great with EM's and I will sometimes outsource the mechanical work to him and let him keep the machine for awhile to play. When it sells I split the profit with him. Works out well.

#228 7 years ago
    Quoted from PanaPinResto:

I haven't seen any. Not like this. So, there's 8000 polls on pinside about income?

if anything a new poll on the same topic would be more interesting. I percieve that it has become more of a rich mans hobby now than 4 years back.

#229 7 years ago

This thread just makes me miss Blownfuse even more...

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

if anything a new poll on the same topic would be more interesting. I

No it wouldn't. These polls are stupid, and the topic is stupid. I know plenty of people in this hobby and very few of them are "rich men."

Who's gonna admit to being broke, anyway?

By the way, I'm a billionaire.

#231 7 years ago

I'm sure as shit am not posting my income on a forum. Nobody's business.

Despite what anybody thinks, although their is causality in income vs number of pins owned, that does not necessarily draw a direct link to if this is a rich man's hobby or not. In lurking on the forum I see people that have a bunch of pins that probably would be better off using that money for other things. To each their own.

#232 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I'm sure as shit am not posting my income on a forum. Nobody's business.
    Despite what anybody thinks, although their is causality in income vs number of pins owned, that does not necessarily draw a direct link to if this is a rich man's hobby or not. In lurking on the forum I see people that have a bunch of pins that probably would be better off using that money for other things. To each their own.

Absolutely. There are people who are UNEMPLOYED yet still splurge for that Ghostbusters LE. There are people with plenty of money who are the cheapest bastards in the hobby.

Why does this obnoxious topic keep coming up? As long as there are literally thousands of games available for under $1,000, this shouldn't even be a question.

#233 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why does this obnoxious topic keep coming up?

...and why do people keep posting in them?

#234 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

...and why do people keep posting in them?

It's forum. The whole point about it is to post stuff.

So if you see a thread you don't like, you can bitch about it. Or not.

But I don't really care what you say! I'm a billionaire and I can buy and sell you. So don't cross me!

#236 7 years ago

LASER-EYE HIM TED!!

#237 7 years ago

Ted knows the pecking order. Mere millionaires like him respect the right of way of us billionaires.

#238 7 years ago

One thing I will tell you is this can all change overnight. Be ready my friends. That is the best thing you can do. Be ready for disaster. I can't seem to think without digression. Sorry.

#239 7 years ago

ted eyes 150.jpgted eyes 150.jpg

#240 7 years ago

income is over rated

#241 7 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

income is over rated

Agreed. Net worth though, is not.

#242 7 years ago

Does anybody else feel like Ted is looking into their souls with his laser eyes?

#243 7 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Does anybody else feel like Ted is looking into their souls with his laser eyes?

I wish I could post the live action mpeg!

eyes (resized).JPGeyes (resized).JPG

#244 7 years ago

I started on page 1 and thought "hey, Centerflank is back!". Then I saw the date.

#245 7 years ago

Don't do it, Ted! I would poop myself. It's like looking at the face of a deity!

There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-see-if-pinball-really-is-a-rich-mans-hobby/page/5?hl=pinhead2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.