(Topic ID: 24420)

Lets see if pinball really is a rich mans hobby.

By the_pin_family

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 132 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DBLM
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Annual household income”

• $30,000 and below 41 votes
      5%
    • $30,000-$50,000 76 votes
      9%
    • $50,000-$75,000 122 votes
      15%
    • $75,000-$100,000 137 votes
      17%
    • $100,000-$150,000 188 votes
      23%
    • $150,000-$200,000 99 votes
      12%
    • $200,000-$300,000 86 votes
      10%
    • $300,000-$500,000 40 votes
      5%
    • $500,000+ 32 votes
      4%

(821 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

eyes (resized).JPG
    ted eyes 150.jpg

There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 7 years ago

A friend said to me the other day he couldn't afford the pinball hobby, "its a rich mans hobby". Im no rich man but I have the advantage of being able to buy cheap broken pins and making them into something a rich man would buy. Buy busted, repair, play, play, play,get bored, sell, rinse, repeat. Thats how I do it. The "what do you do for a living" thread made me wonder, is my friend right? I know its not proper etiquette to ask someone what they make but……well I don't care. You don't have to post just vote.

#2 7 years ago

Not sure if I wanna disclose my net income on a public forum but I will say this....I can afford one fancy or NIB game once every 2 years.One year of saving up,then some time shopping around,then going for the restoration or a new game.Scott

#3 7 years ago

I can't print my money fast enough.

#4 7 years ago

Inappropriate poll.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Inappropriate poll.

Don't vote

I voted, but you don't know which one

#6 7 years ago

Best poll I've seen in a while. It's obvious it takes money.

But, regardless of what people make, most people are drowning in dept imo. Mortgage, car payments, divorces, alimony, child support, high maint wife, kids, credit cards, school loans etc. See it all the time. Take all that out and it's living paycheck to paycheck.

#7 7 years ago

I don't think there is anything wrong with the poll since everyone can vote anonymously.
    I also think such information will help put things into perspective for some of us pinheads.

#8 7 years ago

I am afraid of the results of this poll as I have a feeling that well over half the people in pin make over $100k a year.............Obama is watching us people, shut this poll down!! Pinball tax is coming!

#9 7 years ago

Also, I just want to point out that the poll says household income rather than individual income.

#10 7 years ago

Im afraid some of you wealthier pinball owners are now going to have to give us poorer wannabee owners our machines for free.....Its the american way now?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Inappropriate poll.

Don't vote, or participate, Absolutely nothing wrong with keeping your finances private, meanwhile there are others that don't mind. I wouldn't share, but I did vote

Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am afraid of the results of this poll as I have a feeling that well over half the people in pin make over $100k a year.............Obama is watching us people, shut this poll down!! Pinball tax is coming!

Pinball is already taxable, as is anything you make money on. But pinball is way to small, and a cash society, it is already impossible to monitor cash transactions, unless there is a title involved

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Also, I just want to point out that the poll says household income rather than individual income

I need to change my vote.

#13 7 years ago

If one can afford a single pin, one can afford to be in the hobby imo.
    Everyone spends their $$ on SOMETHING they don't especially need. Boats, motorcycles, vacation trips, etc.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from SPeD66:

If one can afford a single pin, one can afford to be in the hobby imo.
    Everyone spends their $$ on SOMETHING they don't especially need. Boats, motorcycles, vacation trips, etc.

You have inspired me! I'm gonna stop spending my money on the ol' bag-of-snakes(my girlfriend) and buy more Pinball machines. I want them all!

#15 7 years ago

Income is far different than available funds... I am on a semi fixed income due to my arrangement but I have other funds available for Stupid shit like pinball, hot tubs, golf club dues etc...

Why do we need to know what people in this hobby make?

Hell here's another more likely scenario than mine... Let's say a guy makes $80k... Has $100k in bank.. Withdrawals $10k to buy a couple pins ...

He's not rich at $80k but is in the hobby

#16 7 years ago

Damn look at that sweet bell curve.................Who said the middle class is dead?

#17 7 years ago

100k+ is middle class now? That's news to me. Median FAMILY income is substantially lower. This is a rich guy's hobby, no two doubts about it. Not to say poor folks like me can't participate, we just do it at a much lower level, no NIB's, and we have to do some serious repair and trade work to make it happen.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #19 7 years ago

Is it a rich man's hobby? First we need to know what a rich man is. Is it someone who makes twice what I do but is saddled with excessive debt? Is it someone who makes what I do but has no debt? The income side is just half the equation folks.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

Taxes are the lowest they've been in over 50 years.

Yet Government spending is off the freaking charts.....Red flag for anyone?

#21 7 years ago

I got rid of the wife, yet somehow I am able to afford 8x as many pinball machines on half the household income, plus I shell out a shitload of child support. You just have to get your priorities straight.

#22 7 years ago

Damnit, can we leave the f***ing politics off Pinside.

It should be ban worthy

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Is it a rich man's hobby? First we need to know what a rich man is. Is it someone who makes twice what I do but is saddled with excessive debt? Is it someone who makes what I do but has no debt? The income side is just half the equation folks.

That's not true at all.

Cost of living in certain areas is higher, and maybe an argument could be made that that should be taken into consideration, but just because a "rich" person has a lot of debt, doesn't mean that the amount of money that they earn doesn't make them rich.

If someone makes $3 million a year they are rich. The fact that they might have debt equal to that amount because of buying things like jets, yachts, vacation homes, etc etc doesn't mean that they suddenly no longer define the definition of being rich. It just means they are stupid. And most rich people aren't stupid!

#24 7 years ago

I wouldn't say Rich Mans Hobby unless you mean only NIB. You can still find great pins in the $1,500 range. (cost of 3 X-Boxes?) NIB is a different story. My middle class friends would not even think about spending $7,500 for a pin. Their car is only $14K!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from DrainO:

Damnit, can we leave the f***ing politics off Pinside.
    It should be ban worthy

I only responded. I didn't initiate. Tin foil hat lies spread fast.

#26 7 years ago

Meaningless poll. Everyone has different circumstances that make buying games more or less affordable. What's also meaningless is whether this is a rich man's hobby or not. Pinball has many entry points just like many other hobbies.

Golf-local muni or country club
    Sailing-16 foot trailer boat or 50 foot yacht
    Stamp collecting - sheet of stamps from post office or upside down airplane

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Yet Government spending is off the freaking charts.....Red flag for anyone?

This. The government can't help itself. It wants to spend. Half our population pays no taxes at all other than local sales taxes unless their state doesn't have sales taxes. Government spending must be reined in.

#28 7 years ago

I'm not rich, but we do well. We also don't stretch ourselves on debt. Only debt is the house. Pay ourselves for savings every check, and put back for toys.

It would be a stretch to think that anyone that's poor could really do too well in the hobby, but you never know. Planning, saving, working and patience can go a long way.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn in to a dick measuring contest.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

but just because a "rich" person has a lot of debt, doesn't mean that the amount of money that they earn doesn't make them rich.

That is exactly why I was careful to use the term "excessive debt". We all need to live within our means, whatever that level may be. My point is that once the basics of life are taken care of (escaping poverty), everyone's concept of what rich is varies. That is, except for extreme cases like Bill Gates. I think we can all agree that he is "rich".

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from flipperfingers:

Only a teabagger thinks that taxes are out of control under Obama. Taxes are the lowest they've been in over 50 years.

Federal taxes are the lowest they have ever been...............But what about total taxes, including local. As the Fed cuts off spending to states to support their BS wars and other crap, my local taxes have doubled. Oh forgot to mention, I hate both parties, they are both full of $hit.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from DrainO:

I really hope this thread doesn't turn in to a dick measuring contest.

Trying to hide something? JK!

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

If someone makes $3 million a year they are rich. The fact that they might have debt equal to that amount because of buying things like jets, yachts, vacation homes, etc etc doesn't mean that they suddenly no longer define the definition of being rich.

This logic makes no sense at all. If someone earned 200 million dollars throughout their career, yet they are currently in debt, they're not rich. They're broke. Just ask Allen Iverson.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

100k+ is middle class now? That's news to me. Median FAMILY income is substantially lower. This is a rich guy's hobby, no two doubts about it. Not to say poor folks like me can't participate, we just do it at a much lower level, no NIB's, and we have to do some serious repair and trade work to make it happen.

Pinball middle class is $100K.

#34 7 years ago

If I was into Golf, I'd be spending money on that. If I was into trains, I'd be spending money on that, boat, vacations, new car, etc.

I was poor, only worried about paying rent and feeding myself, then I had no money for anything. My situation is improved, so I can enjoy myself more.

One needs some disposable income for any sort of hobby, but I don't think pinball is the sole realm of the rich.

#35 7 years ago

Interesting to me ...
    Lets see -
    100 k income in the DC area would get you a 1500 sq foot home
    100k in the Charlotte area 5k sq foot home.
    100k in NY city - you get to share an appartment lol.

What do you do with your play money is more the question to ask ...income just the starting point.

#36 7 years ago

No, it is not a rich mans hobby

I have been to a few other collectors over the last few years, and it can be a mixed bag
    some have been laywers, some have been regular working Joes
    One of the best games-rooms I have visited was owned by a guy with a regular 9 to 5 job

Any one can afford it, any one can afford anything they want.
    the way to do it is to prioritise how you spend your $$

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Trying to hide something? JK!

Well, I am a white boy

#38 7 years ago

I just picked up a nearly working pin for $150

#39 7 years ago

It really depends on what your collection consist of and when you acquired it. If you possess all the top 15 pins and purchased them with in the past 2 years CQ or restored, then your rich by my definition.

On the other hand you could be picking up B-C listers or got into the hobby before prices sky rocketed and have a bunch of pins and not be considered rich.

I do think that most here are doing pretty well and that over half fit into the 100k+ HH income range.

RobT makes a good point as well. Someone making 100k in one area of the country if not as well off as someone making 50k in another area. Costs of living vary drastically so, income in not really the best measure unless you get up to something like 500k+ range, where you would be rich most anyplace. Its also relative to ones perspective. I meet few people who consider themselves rich, whether they are or not. I guy making 500K thinks the guy making 1M is rich and the guy making 1M thinks Donald Trump is rich. Virtually everyone in Africa thinks Americans are rich no matter what the HH income is.

#40 7 years ago

Not a rich man's hobby. The OP said it well. You can get lots of games very cheap, fix them up, and have some great games at low cost. If you're the type that only wants "A-List" games or the latest NIB title from Stern, well, then you will need a lot of disposable income. But pinball is far, far more varied than that, and there's lots of fun to be had on a budget.

#41 7 years ago

Another good reason to live in Texas. Money goes a long way here.

#42 7 years ago

If that's the case, I'll be looking for my welfare check in the form of a CV delivered to my door at the first of next month.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

That is exactly why I was careful to use the term "excessive debt". We all need to live within our means, whatever that level may be. My point is that once the basics of life are taken care of (escaping poverty), everyone's concept of what rich is varies. That is, except for extreme cases like Bill Gates. I think we can all agree that he is "rich".

Ok, I have no problem with that point and I agree with you completely.

#44 7 years ago

I do not make much money at all, but have managed to build up a pretty nice collection (IMO). I maybe buy a game every 2 years, and even then it is always at the low side of pricing. It is a matter of networking! You meet enough people, finding good deals happens.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

This logic makes no sense at all. If someone earned 200 million dollars throughout their career, yet they are currently in debt, they're not rich. They're broke. Just ask Allen Iverson.

Semantics. The vast majority of people would call what Allen Iverson made per year in the NBA as making him rich. Just because he spent it all (and more) doesn't take away the fact that he earned what he earned. He just means that he's an idiot, who indeed at the end was broke (and no longer rich) because of it.

#46 7 years ago

It's not whether a "poorer" person could scrimp and save and be in the hobby, it's more like "what's the norm?" From that standpoint, it's definitely a hobby for the upper-middle class and beyond.

All my friends with 5+ games are unmarried and making low six figures. The ones who aren't as financially well-off "rent" games for 50 or 75 cents a go.

I think that's fine. These are full-size arcade games and until very recently weren't built with home collectors in mind.

#47 7 years ago

i c wut u did thar

#48 7 years ago

looks like I'm in the greater percentage.. Bell curve looks about right to me

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 24.25
    Lighting - Other
    The MOD Couple
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 189.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    There are 245 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside