Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by beelzeboob
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

mouse-dmd.png
VideoUpgrade.png
tmp_19010-Screenshot_2015-11-25-13-47-04-1772785845.png
recyclke.png

#1 3 years ago

So anyone that has played the GOT video mode probably knows that it is utter crap. I was thinking we as the pinball collecting community could offer up some suggestions as to how to improve it.

My suggestion is to redesign it completely and make it similar to the game joust.

You could be a character riding on a dragon and you use the flipper buttons to flap your wings and kill the opponent who is also on a dragon or something GOT relevant.

Whatever flipper button you held would be the direction you'd travel and the opposite flipper button would be for flapping. You could also use both flipper buttons at once to flap in place.

Anyone else have any ideas??

#2 3 years ago

Is this before or after the latest update?

#3 3 years ago

Is this the updated one you're talking aboot? I 'heard' it was better but I haven't played the new code yet.
They should probably remove it completely since videos mode totally suck and ruin the magical "flow" of the game.
I mean, that's what I hear everyday on pinside so it must be true

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Is this before or after the latest update?

I haven't played since the latest update. I'm not sure how you could improve the stick figure sword fight though so I'm assuming it's still bad.

ROFL

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I haven't played since the latest update. I'm not sure how you could improve the stick figure sword fight though so I'm assuming it's still bad.

It looks a hell of a lot better.

#8 3 years ago

Damn I want to check it out but I don't have facebook. Oh well.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

you don't need a facebook acct to view anything on Sterns page. Did you try it?

#10 3 years ago

I think it's only appropriate to have "Finish Him" in the video mode when the health is depleted, voiced by the original Mortal Kombat voice actor himself since he designed the game!

A little Easter egg like that would make me happy!

#11 3 years ago

Or just spend time making the rules on GOT and others better and better rather than wasting a boatload of time programming a short video mode

Quoted from fattdirk:

Click the link instead of complain about facebook, its just a video. You can view it...

#12 3 years ago

Well it looks better than the original Swashbuckler, still doens;t look that great but I'd need to play it.

#13 3 years ago

It could be improved easily by allowing it to be removed from the game. Video modes suck utterly.

#14 3 years ago

They should start by dragging and dropping it here.

recyclke.png

#16 3 years ago

Stern should ban the guy who was playing in the video. They ban people for everything in their "safe space" and the guy swore.

#17 3 years ago

The new update makes it look like a game, but it still isn't fun.

#18 3 years ago

The designers decide what goes into a game, not whiners on Pinside.

#19 3 years ago

tmp_19010-Screenshot_2015-11-25-13-47-04-1772785845.png

Quoted from jrivelli:Click the link instead of complain about facebook, its just a video. You can view it...

It goes to a facebook login screen, but thanks for the tech support DB.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

It goes to a facebook login screen, but thanks for the tech support DB.

I went to a incognito browser, not logged in and worked just fine. Thanks for failing at using a computer...DB Computering is HARD

Yes, at the very top is a login form, but right under is the video playing with no issues. Just tested on multiple browsers I never use

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I went to a incognito browser, not logged in and worked just fine. Thanks for failing at using a computer...DB Computering is HARD
Yes, at the very top is a login form, but right under is the video playing with no issues. Just tested on multiple browsers I never use

Definitely doesn't work on firefox on android, but I'm glad it works for you. How about you upload it to youtube so I can watch it

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Definitely doesn't work on firefox on android, but I'm glad it works for you. How about you upload it to youtube so I can watch it

Done. Here ya go!

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Done. Here ya go!
ยป YouTube video

Waddle you're the man!!

That does look significantly better. I guess the stick figures were just placeholders. Now I want to roll up to the hedge and check her out.

#24 3 years ago

Oh that's a lot better!

#25 3 years ago

VideoUpgrade.png

#26 3 years ago

"No, no, no!" Is he lamenting his loss or the videomode in general at the end?

#27 3 years ago

The points are worth much more now.sonits worth chosing it. If you get 3x and win its worth 60 million.

#28 3 years ago

It looks a heck of a lot better than before but boring IMO in regards to the theme. Use the dragons somehow?

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

The points are worth much more now.sonits worth chosing it. If you get 3x and win its worth 60 million.

Finish it with a full health bar (I'm pretty sure that's the criteria) and it's 75M. Well, 25M x 3.

#31 3 years ago

Make the video mode like crossed swords for the new geo, the end.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Make the video mode like crossed swords for the new geo, the end.

Right, a Neo Geo with a 128x32 pixel limit. Oh, and it's monochrome. Using red LEDs. Not Dwight's fault, maybe it was originally meant to be on an LCD screen or something. But on a DMD it's just gonna look not-terrible at best. Just aren't enough pixels to do anything particularly meaningful. What's up above would look like this as a DMD.

mouse-dmd.png

I think the new figures look way better. But it's still a little low rez video game. I don't want to play crappy video games, I'm trying to play pinball.

I just finished playing Fathom and Tron, and now I'm going to play Fallout 4. Because when I am in the mood for a video game I play ones worth the time.

Not picking on Stern, most video modes are that way. Happened at Bally/Williams tpp/ When Dwight and Steve made STTNG I think they made a masterpiece of a game. But the video mode is deeply flawed, because you can just memorize it. Pinball shouldn't be about someone winning because they memorized a sequence of left and right button presses. I don't care for that at all.

Why not just skip wasting the time on video modes all together? I want to play pinball! Do things with the ball, not a little low-rez red screen.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right, a Neo Geo with a 128x32 pixel limit. Oh, and it's monochrome. Using red LEDs. Not Dwight's fault, maybe it was originally meant to be on an LCD screen or something. But on a DMD it's just gonna look not-terrible at best. Just aren't enough pixels to do anything particularly meaningful. What's up above would look like this as a DMD.
mouse-dmd.png
I think the new figures look way better. But it's still a little low rez video game. I don't want to play crappy video games, I'm trying to play pinball.
I just finished playing Fathom and Tron, and now I'm going to play Fallout 4. Because when I am in the mood for a video game I play ones worth the time.
Not picking on Stern, most video modes are that way. Happened at Bally/Williams tpp/ When Dwight and Steve made STTNG I think they made a masterpiece of a game. But the video mode is deeply flawed, because you can just memorize it. Pinball shouldn't be about someone winning because they memorized a sequence of left and right button presses. I don't care for that at all.
Why not just skip wasting the time on video modes all together? I want to play pinball! Do things with the ball, not a little low-rez red screen.

Ah man you're right that does look like crap. But it would look good on a ColorDMD because the opponents and backgrounds would be differentiated between each other. Maybe if you took the backgrounds out completely and just left the player and the opponent it would look good?

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Right, a Neo Geo with a 128x32 pixel limit. Oh, and it's monochrome. Using red LEDs. Not Dwight's fault, maybe it was originally meant to be on an LCD screen or something. But on a DMD it's just gonna look not-terrible at best. Just aren't enough pixels to do anything particularly meaningful.

Yep. Video modes suck and are such a waste of programming time. I bet some really interesting pinball modes or features could have been added in the time that was sucked up from coding that video mode.

#35 3 years ago

It looks much better but it is still no fun. No more video modes, let them be a thing of the past. Back in the 80s when pinball thought it had to compete with video games, it made sense. At this point, pinball should just proclaim victory and withdraw from the field.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

At this point, pinball should just proclaim victory and withdraw from the field.

Victory?

Yep...pinball sales are right up there with Call of Duty. Yes, we love pinball, but let's not go nuts here.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Mods for your pinballs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
$ 79.99
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Machine - For Sale
St. Marys, PA
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
5,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CO
$ 25.00
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Woodcliff Lake, NJ
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside