Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vacfink.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#935 8 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Acrylic would not be suitable as will crack, polycarbonate is tougher but can't be laser cut and will scratch in time, and within a few years will start to go brittle and yellow.

You can water cut polycarb

for lighting effects would be different because without separate inserts it would bleed light over the artwork. In some cases that could be interesting. a 2nd layer of opaque below the clear with cutouts for the inserts might help control it a bit

#936 8 years ago
    Quoted from Star_Gazer:

think it's clear, but this is what i had in mind.

Close to what I was thinking, I think the playfield and any small scratches might work like a lightpipe does. Think older style BMW LED Ring headlights (Acrylic tube with small cuts, the rough plastic of the cuts carries most of the light)

#948 8 years ago

I'm interested in the P3 however think for my first pin from scratch, I want to focus on getting in the basics. Down the road, I can see wanting to give it a try and the value in creating a package that can be shared with others in a limited run.

While not ready to build my first whitewood yet, i've been looking over ebay parts to size up what it would cost to buy and rebuild used parts. However, I would hope to offer a kit long term, if there's interest, in my machine, so think sourcing new parts makes sense.

Has anyone looked into this? I'm thinking of things like entire drop target assemblies, VUK's, entire pop bumper assemblies. I also feel some obligation to leave the remaining spares to those who are building a specific machine. Sure I can grab 3 used pop bumpers from ebay but then somone wanting those for a rehab is out original parts. I guess is the car guy in me that makes me sympathetic.

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions? Maybe there's an opportunity to get a group/buy on the basic set up of parts from a vendor.

From what I've seen, I can part up to a complete assembly piecemeal but haven't found entire assemblies available.

#952 8 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

May I recommend the main pinball vendors?

The worry here is so much is out of stock and game specific. If I'm going to pirate parts used is cheaper, maybe. However am I depleting finite stock that could be preserving vintage games? My thinking here is to maybe ID in this forum parts that are new stock that's not robbing Peter to pay Paul. If I want a single drop target assembly I don't want to take the 'Space Shuttle' specific ones if I can find new (not NOS). I'm not sure how to tell which is which. I also might not feel bad taking the last used space shuttle or Centaur drop target assemblies off eBay if I know new replacement parts are available.

On my list to-do would be contacting Marco/BAM/PBL to ask which parts are currently manufactured vs NOS.

#955 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I could see building a trough for less than $30 in parts with less labor if someone were willing to invest in a mold.

Casting in fiber glass, injection molding, or vacuum forming?

#956 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Stick with brand new Williams stuff because it's cheap and bulletproof.

Flipper mechs, pop mechs, slingshots, ball trough......

Not only are you not killing a classic game, but you are letting people know who buy your stuff that they can get parts cheaply in the future.

Thanks Vid. That is good to know and if I had a preference that is where I was headed used or new without better options. It sounds like for the common parts at least its the way to go.

I don't have any desire to manufacture machines, however if I go through the process of designing a game and making my own art for a playfield, I would love to share it, so screening a few extra playfields and selling them so others can make their own seems viable as long as the parts are available.

#962 8 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

The only way a hobbyist is going to build a one-off machine for a reasonable price (IMO at least) is by using existing junk.

I agree and intend too, I'm not looking to re-invent pinball. I'm an artist and custom guy, so I find it hard to leave anything stock. My goal is to make a few machines over time that I want for myself. I'll leave it open source and maybe sell a few silk screened play fields so others can have their own should they want to put in the time, presuming there's any interest. Keeping the parts simple helps make that reasonable and plays in to my skill set.

My goal is to make a simple 80's style SS, no toys, or complex ramps, or DMD. A starter home brew using the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) approach. Put in the things that I like on a playfield, try to make it feel fresh as I can make it, and get over the hump of programing a basic rule set, lights, and sound. Then take on more complex parts in future builds when I have a strong base.

#984 8 years ago

A centaur style inline set is exactly what I had in mind. Thanks Vid

2 weeks later
    #999 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Hi guys,
    ill post here soon regarding buying assemblies for a custom flipper, but if you want to chime in my post regarding P3-ROC or FAST pinball,

The Fast boards, if you buy outside of the package allows the builder to scale up as they develop, buying the minimum components and adding daughter or other boards based on needs as the layout/design matures. Both can use MFP which is what I plan to use. Its almost a Ford/Chevy comparo. I'm going with Fast. I saw their demo/discussion at CAX and the NW show on youtube and like their approach and want to support more options than Proc.

1 week later
    #1022 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

what was the purpose of this mocku

Seems like a nice way to 'sketch' designs with actual size components. On paper that right ramp might not appear to need so much elevation, however put in the stand-ins and you can see how much elevation it actually consumes. That's useful IMO. I can see working through quite a few changes in this kind of sketch up mode before actually committing to a flippable version and drilling into the test wood.

#1044 8 years ago

The only way to solve that dilemma is to have someone build with both platforms and share the comparison. My recommendation is send me two free setup kits, I'll build the same machine with both and tell everyone about it! Problem solved for everyone!

Seriously i would like to see a FUN showdown between the two to settle it. Key would be keeping it light but neutral. However where do you find someone sick enough to want to build the same machine twice and not question their sanity and in turn their opinion!

That's either a horrible bad idea, or a new reality tv show, I have no clue.

Although I have yet to try to build a machine, I still stand by my first idea as best! Free boards for me..oh yeah and a comparison... eventually... probably.

#1072 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I tried to replicate the loop-da-loop ramp shot from gottlieb Gold Wings. As of this morning I'm on like my 7th try (cardboard and steel hot glued together). Needless to say, I'm giving up on it. Even if I could get it to work how I want it, it won't be reliable, and I can only imagine horrible ball hangs

It looks like solid progression, I wouldn't give up if its a feature you want, that looks like its half the fun. Once you have the paper version sorted out, you also have the template for the metal, so its a win/win.

Here's a suggestion. you probably don't need a solid edge to get it to work enough to decide on the size, so instead of a complex and hard to build side wall, create the edge from folded up tabs. Basically cut tiny triangles pointy side toward the run of the ramp, out every 1/2 inch, I'd also maybe put a flexible thin sheet of styrene as a backer for the loop portion, that will firm up the shot and prevent wiggle. You could do the same with a flat piece of metal but it may hold some memory of the shape as you alter. either way it looks like the egde is the time consuming part and that's how I'd tackle it.

2 months later
    #1318 8 years ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

Pricing:
    If you want to spend $1060 in tooling for the deboss - Qty 10/25/50 = $15ea, Qty 250 =$10.40, Qty 500 =$10.20

If you want to forgo tooling and weld in a laser cut "lozenge" instead of the deboss - QTY 10/25/50 = $18.80, Qty 250 = $12.45, Qty 500 = $12.45

This is FOB China, And includes $5 each for actual Genuine PEM hardware. ( Manufacturer of inserts/standoffs)

This does not include the coil, Rubber parts, trough boards etc. Just the steel.

If there is a group purchase, I'd be in for a pair, maybe more.

9 months later
    #1576 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

$40 each flipper mech
    $40 each sling mech
    $90 4-ball trough
    $14 pair of lane guides
    $15 1/2 x 24" x 48" plywood
    $20 - set of playfield hangers
    $20 - OPP driverboards
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507097900/open-pinball-project-open-source-pinball-hardware
    $30 - 48v 7A power supply off ebay
    $1 - 5v from usb
    $1 usb cord
    $3 - 6 posts for slings
    $2 - bands for slings
    ------------------------------------
    $356

All of this implies you are capable of cutting basic shapes out of wood for trough, shooter lane, and can print out a template for your layout of parts. Also that you already have a cabinet to put it in, and it has a shooter rod.

I'm reworking a new playfield layout, and I'm seeing how many things I can 3d print so I don't have to buy mech assemblies.

If your buying new, I'd put it closer to 5-600 bucks, but the best part is you can, buy it as you go, or save some by salvaging parts from a well worn populated playfield.

Even if you buy the complete flipper mech from Marco (50-80 bucks each), you still need bats and bushings, buttons, switches, screws and bolts.

As you work out the layout, other things to consider, switches, steel wire or banding for guides, inserts, sockets, bulbs, wire (lots of it and in different colors), pop bumper, drop target, spinner etc... as you design. I personally would add 2-3 pop bumpers in as standard for testing. The rest you can mock up with foam, but ultimately you'll want to test hitting and ejecting from a pop bumper to tune placement, and you can't do that without an actual bumper.

What's nice is you don't need to buy it all at once if your on a budget.

If you buy a populated playfield, you can get a great 'starter' set of little bits and pieces, but you might push it pretty close to new prices if the parts are worn and need to be rebuilt.

I'm keeping track of mine and will tally up when I do my cuts in the fall when I can get back to work on it. I'll share here.

#1578 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I wouldn't suggest this, unless it's a modern pin

Agree, think it depends on the pin your salvaging from, I'll have to compare more between pinball life and marco, wonder if the coil size has anything to do with it, or if its patent costs that varies parts costs.

2 weeks later
    #1611 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I've finished putting up a preliminary guide to using the Open Pinball Project boards on the Pinball Makers site.

http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/OPP

Excellent work! Very clearly written and exactly what I needed to get started with my OPP boards from the kickstarter!

Quoted from toyotaboy:

DUDE!! nice writeup!!! This is what this project has needed more than anything, a very simple and clean explanation how it works, how it's wired up, and how to program.

Agree! The boards are a clever DIY solution but until now it was very loosely presented. Finally thanks to Fantasy Goat I have something a bit more at my level I can start working from.

Cost for me was a driver, I can fry and make mistakes now almost entirely without fear! That does a lot for experimentation.

#1613 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I really hope as more people use OPP, people can see what a great system it is. And not to bash any competitors (they all have their positives), he did a nice writeup of real cost comparison (and limitations) of each system:
    https://openpinballproject.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/8142016-cost-smackdown-opp-vs-fast-vs-p-roc/

Good write-up and double thanks for the Jokerz info as that's one of my machines on the chopping block.

1 week later
    #1675 7 years ago
    Quoted from swedishc:

I thought it might be interesting to try and design an inline drop target assembly in Fusion 360 instead of just buying one. It was a fun build and makes me wonder how many assemblies could just be 3D printed. It seems pretty durable, but I guess time will tell if it holds up with that reset coil firing over and over.

Great job. Likely its more cost effective and maybe more durable to make these in bulk in metal, however if your building for your self, no reason not to try, and if it does break, you can print a replacement part. No MFG is going to do that, parts are business just the same. It also seems a bit bulkier (but that might be because of the thicker material) so might needs some design tweeking in tight spots under the playfield.

Keep us updated with design changes and updates. I'd like to have one like JJ Hobit that have the drop/bash combo and can reset individually. I'll have to try that when I get my own 3D printer. My guess is the first spot to show wear might be those spring holders. Wonder too what different materials do holding up, or if you'll see shrinkage over time of the part that sometimes happens with 3D prints.

Its nice to have a piece to follow now!

2 months later
    #1758 7 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Here's my Shooting Rotisserie Rev 2.

Very nice design. I think maybe there's room for a separate class of rotisserie, a prototyping rotisserie. This seems to be purpose built to that end over a restoration repair version that's more common today which I like quite a bit.

Great to see another Ben Heck machine is on its way.

#1760 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yes! this is what I'm talking about. Keep the lower 1/3 the same on a sturdy piece of wood that doesn't change, try a layout. If it doesn't work, pop it out and try again. Still curious how you deal with things like VUKs, pop bumpers, and other mechs on foam core (or do you?).

I would think that you could cut rings or wooden templates to match thickness and get rigidity underneath for pop bumpers or other mechs, that could carry from foam core to foam core iteration. So you keep the under parts and can tweak the top part for testing.

#1762 7 years ago

Without shopping around much, I could find a couple places with that size board for around 50-60 bucks a 10pk carton. That's actually very cost effective.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vacfink.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood?tu=vacfink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.