Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider s1500.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#114 9 years ago

If only IKEA would sell "ARKAID" flat-packed DIY arcade & pinball cabs. I think I once suggested to CPR they sell blank versions of their playfields if someone wants to re-skin a pf without the work of scraping off the art of an existing(re-sellable) one.

Or go even further back and sell the same-size pf for whatever cab you own, without any holes drilled, other than the corner cuts to fit it in the cab. A blank slate. Include a piece of same-size/shape cardboard for initial drawings & ideas.

#193 9 years ago
    Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Interesting layout. Looks fun What is the deal with the i guess flipping playfield under the main playfield?

That's what I was hoping Stern would have done with Transformers: a transforming playfield. Neat.

#303 9 years ago

I haven't bought anything from him at all but was talking to zeb about his boards. Looks like this has potential for DIY pinball, and not just for souping up virutal pin cabs:

http://www.zebsboards.com/index.php/category/feedback-controllers/ledwiz-control-boards/bare-bones-booster-detail

2 weeks later
    #548 9 years ago

For the programming section, I would suggest initially going the pseudocode route, not tying to any API or specific language(C#, Python, etc). Making the language ambiguous would get the general point across for programming, no matter what you are doing.

I did do some contributions to pinballcontrollers.com's wiki, outlining small things like the pop bumpers, etc, with a small software section at the end of it(accumulating points, etc).

2 weeks later
    #631 9 years ago

As for the programming section, I got a good start on things Friday night with smaller pages. More to come, of course.

#633 9 years ago

I suggest we put things on smaller, more focused pages. Makes things easier to find(or skip over). That, and you can put more detailed information per-page that might be otherwise skipped.

#635 9 years ago

Wow there's a lot of accounts being made for the wiki, up to 10 times/hour! Okay, those are spammer accounts. Heh.

#638 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Crap, is there any way of making it harder to sign up for an account? I'm assuming these are spammers looking to use a wiki to turn it into a link farm? Under recent changes today, it's nothing but new accounts.

I would say shut off new account creation altogether, and make him/her send an email with a specific subject line. A few hoops to jump through should shoo away the overwhelming amount of signups. 99% of the recent changes is account creations.

3 weeks later
    #688 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Yea, like a ramp that goes nowhere .. Perhaps they could have waited another week before showing something

It's better than showing nothing, especially in 2015.

2 weeks later
    #723 9 years ago

Got this to work tonight. The rubber band was a bit too much, so I gotta tape off a 3rd point or something. Just hooked it up briefly to a Heathkit power supply, and it was solenoidin'.

2015-03-12 21.32.54.jpg2015-03-12 21.32.54.jpg

1 week later
    #741 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

With all the failings of pinball startups lately, I wondered if it would be applicable to add some sort of "business plan" to this wiki? Even though it's geared towards helping out the hobbyist looking to make one-offs, I don't see boutiques going away anytime soon and it would be good both for the person thinking of starting a business, and for the investors to have a checklist to see how reputable that business is.

I was thinking about this myself. There's other considerations such as UL testing, owner's manual, localization options(power, coin door slots, foreign languages), volume discounts for parts orders, warranty, support, etc.

1 month later
    #832 8 years ago

I just broke down an entertainment center. While it's particle board, I'm tempted to take a few good pieces from it to make a playfield for an entirely-junk-made playfield and back board(as opposed to backbox). Put the Utilimarc board(s) on the backboard & wire it down to the pf.

#840 8 years ago

What about metal templates you can clamp onto any wood pf and cut as one pleases? Maybe introduce some inter-changability(multiple slides you can puzzle-piece in/out) to it so you can customize it to your project.

#842 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I would love a set of templates like that. I always tell myself "next time you do a playfield, make templates." But I never do. Too anxious to get to the playfield at hand.

I was doodling at work(computer was running stuff) and the thought came to my head. You could assemble your dream bottom layout with the metal plates, clamp 'er down, and drill away. Or before you drill out, just move them around to see you have proper clearances so the ball won't get stuck.

For edge pieces, you could just have a 90-degree bend in the part downward, giving you(hopefully) that just right clearance, at least for the left outlane.

For a shooter lane, you could just lay it down & use a scratch awl(if no CAD), or a bit more for drill holes for your wooden piece to divide the outlane + shooter lane.

#861 8 years ago

Are there established known measurements for things like the clearances for the inlane & outlane and such? I'm sure over the decades & companies there's variances...

2 months later
    #1071 8 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I thought I could test shooting the left ramp with the Legos safely to the side, but one loose ball sent Legos exploding across the shop floor.

That would be a fun virtual pinball game in and of itself. LEGO(TM) Demolition Crew.

2 months later
    #1278 8 years ago

Has anyone taken a Williams/Bally, etc, ball trough apart, and unfolded the metal back to a flat piece? Maybe use that as a template for a utopia open-source trough?

4 years later
    #1871 4 years ago

Is there some off-the-shelf capacitor board I can buy that would be suitable for a homebrew pin? I swore I saw one on the pictures in pinballmakers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider s1500.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood?tu=s1500 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.