Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markinc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#725 9 years ago

Making some progress on my playfield. About 60 inserts in place - cut by hand with router and forstner drill bit. Here's a pic of it with the blueprint overlayed.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #728 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

it has some interesting features - nice work, is the a flipper in the very top centre for the playfield level or for a extra higher playfield? or a gate for a top ramp?

Thanks!
    It's a diverter on a ramp. It opens up when the bathtub is ready.
    Makes more sense here: http://www.incitti.com/pinball/nightmare/

#731 9 years ago
    Quoted from LapsedGamer:

Looks great, can you talk about your process a little more? What did you lay the blue print out in, did you use a drill press for correct depths? Any special technique for the square and diamond insert routing?

I followed a few threads on the P-ROC boards.
    Namely this one by Josh - http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=843.0

I made a virtual version in FuturePinball. From that I generated the blueprint.

For the square, diamond and arrow inserts I made templates. The templates were larger than the inserts so I could follow inside with a router using a 5/16 bushing. It was something like 5/16 divided by 2 + 1/8 (drill bit size) bigger. Bit of trial and error on some spare plywood. I adjusted the depth of the router to be just less than the height of the inserts. Bit of sanding got them flush.

For the circle inserts I used a forstner bit. I just drilled down a bit, then stopped, checked, repeat, until it was close to flush. Could have used a press to make it easier.

#733 9 years ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

MarkInc,
    I'm trying to draw up some inserts in Solidworks and i thought i might include a sketch to represent the routed hole in the playfield. I noticed the inserts have a good bit of taper on the sides. Did the inserts want a tight fit, line to line fit, or a little loose?
    The large amount of taper made me wonder if a tight fit might allow you to press fit the inserts into the PF, so they might hold themselves while the glue dries...
    Thoughts?
    Bob

Bob, Ideally you want the insert holes to be as close to the insert as possible.
    I used 1 inch round inserts and made a hole using a 1 inch forstner bit. The inserts were snug, but I think the bit of wobble in the drill made the holes slightly bigger for an easier fit.

1 month later
    #788 8 years ago

I've uploaded all my pictures to flickr and created a new topic for my game:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-nightmare-before-christmas#post-2420377

10 months later
    #1478 8 years ago

can you grow another arm?
    or even extend it all the way around to a ring with 6 clamps? at 60 degrees.

wireclamps_(resized).jpgwireclamps_(resized).jpg

7 months later
    #1718 7 years ago

I'm running on 70V and FAST. I kept the diodes on my flippers and added one to my magnet. Haven't had any issues with them on. Dave from FAST recommended them - he's all about reducing noise and collapsing electrical wave thingies.
    Switches are all direct - so no diodes there.

2 weeks later
    #1750 7 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Some more wooden borders hammered on, and also I bought 6 quite large plates of expofoam, and started cutting my first ramp.
    But I wonder if some of you have some good tips on working the foamcore? It was much harder than I thought, and as you can see from my first ramp part attempt, I would need to make the left part more upward/straight, but that would just "break" it in two, making it a very unsmooth bulky ramp.
    All tips appreciated. Also, what is the best approuch making ball lanes for loops etc, does foamcore work good for that too?
    Seems I might encounter the same challenge, which is getting it smooth enough.

I use matboard for my ramps. like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/crescent-select-conservation-solids-matboard/
    If you ask at a picture framing place, they might have some old stuff they need to get rid of.

Easy to work with, flexible, but strong when sides are attached.

I cut out the bottom piece first, then long strips (1.5 inches wide) I attach with duct tape.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132886609@N02/albums/72157675474724346

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markinc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood?tu=markinc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.