Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lachied.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#188 9 years ago

Seems like everyone uses SolidWorks for their stuff. I've been using Inventor and have found it pretty good. Ramps and wireforms are fairly easy for me now. Just a matter of creating a 2D profile and a sweep path. Less than 5 minutes you have a nice curved piece of metal or plastic.

Considering the complexity that I have been going for with my playfield I have found that the 3D models have helped no end. It easily allows me to see where I can fit something or if there will be collisions between objects that a 2D drawing wont. However I have been jumping back and forth between the 3D and the whitewood as I refine an objects placement in 3D and rough it out on the whitewood.
    I'll still have to make adjustments though based on how the whitewood actually plays.

Attached a reasonably recent version of whitewood, and what it looks like in 3D (above and below).

WP_20141008_07_53_20_Pro.jpgWP_20141008_07_53_20_Pro.jpg Playfield Model1.pngPlayfield Model1.png Playfield Model2.pngPlayfield Model2.png
    #192 9 years ago
    Quoted from 3rdaxis:

Interesting layout. Looks fun What is the deal with the i guess flipping playfield under the main playfield?

That will be a mini playfield (because if I can only have 1 pinball machine it better have as many playfields as possible!!) that works like those tilt maze games with a small ball. Left and right flippers to tilt it left and right.

1 week later
    #483 9 years ago

I think the changes to the .yaml file required to get something working are all quite easy and simple to follow and that is not where the initial problems exist. For me (a software developer) I have repeatedly run into problems due to dependencies required. The one click installer definitely helps in that regard but I have still had issues on multiple machines where I have to fix error after error while using the one click installer. - That isn't user friendly for a beginner. I imagine that a larger proportion of these errors are due to my environment (the compiler packaged with the one click installer gets confused in an existing visual studio environment) so a beginner would hopefully have a clean machine.

I've also run into similar problems when using MPF so at the moment that isn't the silver bullet framework.
    Designing/building pinball machines is hard though. I wouldn't expect it to be easy and happen with the single click of a button. Though hoping for something that gets a good portion of the way is certainly achievable. If I ever get started on my software and it turns out half decent I'll look into turning it generic so that others can benefit from it.

#484 9 years ago

Also, going back to the 3D printed models for placement and testing layout...
    What about embedding them with magnets and then sticking another one under the playfield to hold them in place so you don't have to glue or screw anything? Not sure how big they would have to be to work through the playfield though?

Or lay a sheet of metal on top of the playfield with magnet in each of the 3D printed parts and just stick them onto that. Wouldnt need to be very strong at all then.

3 weeks later
    #606 9 years ago

I feel like Aurich just called me hardcore.

I better start making some positive contributions to this community then..

#650 9 years ago

I posted this on the pinball controllers forum but no one really understood the point of it there. Maybe it could be useful for someone on this thread.

While possibly increasing the number of individual wires for the switch matrix, I'm currently getting some boards fabricated that will allow for running cat5 cables between each board. From a single board you can then split out the cat5 cables to the individual devices (In my custom machine I will be adding another stage of molex connectors so that individual devices can also easily be moved)

The end result is no soldering under the playfield.

For a 16x8 matrix (16 rows, 8 columns) you run 3 cat5 cables to the first breakout board. A jumper setting is used to make the board column 1 and that column is then connected on the board to 2 complete sets of RJ45 connectors (16 wires total). Those 2 RJ45 connectors can be paired with 2 more RJ45 connectors that represent the 16 row wires. Individual wires stem from these directly to the devices so no devices need to be chained together.

3 more RJ45 connectors are then used to allow that first breakout board to be connected to the next board and so on.

Hopefully my boards should arrive in a week, I look forward to wiring/soldering it all up. It means I can just make a massive stack of different length cat5 cables and then (Im planning on making more than 1 machine) I just grab whatever length I need and plug them in. If something needs to move just unplug and grab a different length cable.

Just another different method than pinboards and careful planning.

Note: Oh I was designing this as a panel so ignore the bottom half below the solid line, Ill be using that as the initial connector header that I can then wire into the proc.

RJ45 Breakout Board.pngRJ45 Breakout Board.png
    #653 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

So if I follow, you are wiring ALL rows and columns into all boards via 3 cat5's between each board, then set each board via jumper to output only single column (say column 1) and 16 rows, in discrete pairs of outputs?
    So for 8 columns, you need 8 boards, and each board would have 16 pairs of switch wires (one column by 16 rows), and be connected by 3 cat5 cables in and out? Conceptually it makes sense and would help a test machine be modular, but man that's a ton of wire and cat5 cable to use for a full matrix.
    Where I do see use in this however is in a 1-2 column set up, with maybe 8 rows max. For a prototype game one can easily cut switch useage to a minimum, and use this to keep things semi modular. Beyond 8x2, the space the boards, cables, and wires would take up far outweight the benefits in my eyes.
    Or maybe I have it all wrong in my mind haha

I dont think it'd take up that much more than a traditional wiring setup. Or maybe I haven't looked at enough wiring harnesses to see how much wiring is saved via the chaining together.
    Boards are only 8x5cm, so not too big.
    If you only need an 8x8 matrix then that would be just 2 cat5 cables between each board. I know Ill need a 16x8 so Ill be sure to post pictures of the wiring once that starts to come together.

I bought 300m of cable and a big bunch of connectors/components. Calculated its only about an extra $50 for a full matrix of 8 boards. PCBs are around $2 each.

#655 9 years ago

I agree. For manufacture it would be terrible but I think, and why I posted it in this thread it would be helpful while you are still designing a playfield and to get a playfield up and running quickly.

Once I have a playfield done using this method Ill make sure to show it off so if others think it might help them they can use it. If thats the case then at that stage Ill list where I got everything from and make the Gerber files available.

2 months later
    #758 9 years ago

This thread hasn't seen a lot of action lately so here is an update of my pinball software that I am working on. Obviously still in development but it'll be a client-server architecture. Machine can run standalone as a normal pinball machine with the server software but then for testing/designing purposes the client can connect from a different computer.

#761 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Ooh nice. So is the WPF just the visual playfield layout portion, and you're using Caliburn.Micro and MassTransit just to tie together the .NET framework? It's like an open source version of jersey jack's system.

I have an executable that runs on the client and one that runs on the server. Both use WPF, all of it is C# and .net.

Windows Presentation Foundation (or WPF) is a graphical subsystem for rendering user interfaces in Windows-based applications by Microsoft. (wikipedia)
    Caliburn.Micro is a lightweight framework with great support for MVVM applications (Model-View-ViewModel pattern). It has a built in event aggregator, automatic binding conventions between the View and the View Model, plus some other great stuff.
    Mass Transit is a service bus that I'm using for the communication between the client and server. It serializes my C# objects to Json and sends them between the 2 applications.

As well as the 2 executables I have a couple of dlls...
    Common - Few common classes but mainly the Devices and objects that get sent between the server and client.
    DataContracts - Interfaces that define what will be sent between the server and client.
    ServerLibrary - The guts of the server side. Does all the talking to the pinball hardware.

I've only seen Jersey Jacks LCD display in action on a pin so can't really say what support software they provide. If it is anything like what I am making it does sound quite interesting.

5 months later
    #1203 8 years ago

Im using an old 17" monitor at 1280x1024 and 720p video. I'll cut off some of the monitor top and bottom. Because all my code is c# .net (probably do some Unity graphics as not happy with WPF for 3D) Im using windows 8 embedded and running on an old i5 laptop that I stripped down.

That is probably the cheapest option. I feel like I am always replacing a perfectly good 2 year old computer because it cant keep up with the latest games, so re-purposing it for a pinball PC is a pretty good option.

Also including an Arduino because they are awesome. I cant remember my current servo count but I can support upto 18 with my current setup. Might use up most of them as decided I need to outdo JJP and Sterns dragons with my own animatronic version. Small plug for LedShowEditor that will allow me to create the fire effects across the Leds that I need.

You can get it from here if you want to try it:
    https://bitbucket.org/rampantslug/ledshoweditor/downloads

3 months later
    #1417 8 years ago

Tested out a loop style ramp today to replace what was originally going to be a long upward curved ramp a-la Pinbot. Haven't tested with a flipper yet but doesn't require a great deal of force to get it to complete the loop. Seems like it will be a really good space saving solution compared with my other option of a really long straight ramp to get the desired height. Final assembly will be plastic with molded exterior to resemble The Eyrie. Will also be wider than this test so should be an easier shot.

#1424 8 years ago

That TFTC one looks pretty big. Could be close in size to what I am going for.
    Just need to save my pennies for a 3D printer. I've really got a lot of things on the playfield that I can use it for.

#1450 8 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Has anyone modeled this drop assy? If not, I will be getting one soon-ish and can do it.
    And, can somebody tell if there me if there is a difference in these two:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3990
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3803

single_drop_(resized).jpg

I've modelled it but I had to eye ball a lot of the values from photos cos I don't have one myself. If you are happy to measure it up once you get it I can update my model and share it.
    They haven't been available for ages, or have been over $100 so good to see that someone is making them again. Wouldn't mind getting one but I think I'll have to make my own as I need 3 in-lines that reset with 1 coil.

drop_target_(resized).pngdrop_target_(resized).png

1 month later
    #1486 8 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

So I got my 3/32 stainless wire. tweaked the snap fits, worked decently (but not as tight as I want). Did a test, seems like you can get by with 12" spacing before the ball starts to spread the wires apart

wireform_3dprint_(resized).JPG

Damn, now I want a 3D printer even more. I've got a bunch of SS rods sitting round ready to be bent. Now we need to design some jigs to help with the bending process to keep the spacing even.
    Would ABS be strong enough to bend the wire? Did a quick sketch of a bending block (excuse the shoddy paint drawing). Maybe use a bunch of these while positioning the wire to get smooth bends, then switch over to the snap in parts.
    Or is it easy to bend within the snap in parts without the wire coming loose?

Bending_Blocks_(resized).pngBending_Blocks_(resized).png

1 week later
    #1508 8 years ago

Finally picked up a 3D printer on the weekend. It's a Cocoon Create (rebranded Wanhao Duplicator i3). I've started printing off some mods for it to try and improve the quality but out of the box it seems pretty good so far. Long weekend over Easter so hopefully get some pinball related prints done. Game of Thrones wall lift should be pretty fun to make...
    First printFirst print
    Calibration test before mods. 16mm bridging is pretty good.Calibration test before mods. 16mm bridging is pretty good.

2 months later
    #1553 7 years ago

Got my 3D printed Gamer of Thrones wall lift wired up and working. It is a bit slow at the moment, not sure how much I can speed the stepper motors up.
    However I will likely play an animation/video when the ball enters the lift and then eject the next ball into the shooter so the player doesn't have to wait for the lift if they don't want to.
    Also need to clean up a bit more of the support material that was harder to get off.

Next step is to build the ice wall that it mounts to and stores the locked balls.

Don't think Id be able to do half of what I want for my pinball machine without a 3D printer!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lachied.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood?tu=lachied and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.