Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 135 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joelomatik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 9 years ago

I freehand-routed my own inserts in a playfield design back in 2000...without a CNC. I used a hole saw for saucer shots and a Dremel to dig the shooter groove. I used a jigsaw for the bottom design. It was not fun at all. Some of the insert holes have gaping holes around them, but they are otherwise flush when the inserts are installed. I used the cheap 1/2" crap plywood from Home Depot and retraced a previous playfield to drill out holes for the trough, flippers, switches, etc. Now with the sage wisdom of Pinside, I'll get some good Baltic birch and re-do it properly.

As for the CNC, I may just make insert templates and hand rout it that way, since I don't have CAD. Any word on decent CAD programs on the Mac? I've got an old MacBook from 2008.

#46 9 years ago

Keith, that's awesome! What kind of wood did you use for the PF?

#281 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Or you could do it all by hand with a router like I and a few other custom builders have done. Though it is difficult and requires you to be very comfortable with hand tools. And it is scary. Do the tough cuts first. Or you could get all the way through nicely and mess up on that last cut. But I must say. Very satisfying to do it all by hand.

Agreed, if you're CNC-inept like me. I have done a practice playfield of my own, hand-routed. I thought of showing it, but I'm too embarrassed after seeing the wonderful samples shown here. I will say that a straight edge is good for making straight cuts for target banks and trough holes. A jigsaw works well, too.

Also, a dremel is helpful for cutting and drilling small holes (eg, switch grooves). A bullnose router bit is a good idea for the shooter lane, if your comfortable with a router. As a cheap substitute, try this dremel ball bit. It's an uglier result than a router, but practical nonetheless.

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Head-Speed-Cutter-Shank/dp/B00COSSLTI/ref=sr_1_11

#289 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've tried to argue this (I thought the same thing), but really as long as the shooter lane ends where the orbit shot starts, you're not really losing real estate (you can only make a shot so far over).

You can also use a catapult for a launcher (ala STTNG and CP) to add extra space on the lower right side.

1 week later
    1 week later
    #517 9 years ago

Fantasygoat, I love your page! Hopefully everybody can place all their pinball building knowledge here to consolidate as much info as possible. It's great to avoid scrambling from site to site.

5 months later
    4 months later
    #1224 8 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Im a fan of the sharp pencil and a steady hand for routing inserts

I did it this way for a playfield design about 15 years ago. It didn't turn out too bad, but it ain't very pretty either!

#1240 8 years ago

Regarding routers and creating insert templates: I have a full-size router, but was looking at compact trim routers. In this case, the Harbor Hate flush trim router.

http://t.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-trim-router-44914.html

Anybody have experience with this one? Would a template guide attach to it? I know it's HF brand, but does it stand up well to repeated routing? If not this, what are other alternatives that don't cost as much as regular routers? Thanks!

2 months later
    #1428 8 years ago

WhoDunnit has a wide plastic inverted U-turn ramp, right in the middle.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joelomatik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood?tu=joelomatik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.