Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Eh, I'm pretty uninterested in that. Definitely a super valid approach, but I'd want to play with real physics, and get my hands dirty.

Hank approves. Dinos V Monster Trucks 4 EVA!

#43 9 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

I remember in some of Ben Heck's shop-casts Jpop mentioned that it's better to design on foamcore/cardboard/wood then on a computer because you'd get more organic designs. Once you have a shot or curve you like measure it and mark it in cad. This is something I've started doing that and it really is much better then pure cad designing.

This is what I'd do. Start with a playfield size piece of paper and sketch things out, then hack it together in nordmanite (tm) and hot-glue.

#77 9 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I made a FAST Frame/Rail combination that lets me skip the rotisserie while keeping the playfield at 6.5 degrees on a flat surface. Stable to stand up, lay on side, even hangs on the wall nice.

I just have to chime in here too and say something: This thing is brilliant. If I ever got around to trying to build a machine I'd want one.

1 week later
    #468 9 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

DN:00,00,02,08,12,20
    DN:00
    DN:01,01,02,08,07,20
    DN:01
    DN:02,00,02,09,12,20
    DN:02
    DN:03,01,02,09,07,20
    DN:03
    DN:04,00,02,09,09,20
    DN:04
    DN:05,01,02,09,07,20
    DN:05

This isn't encouraging non-programmers into giving it a go, it's just reaffirming their beliefs that "code is hard" -- because none of that means anything to them.

Python written in mostly plain english, however ...

#472 9 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

When you want to program using Python you would use the libfastpinball driver. https://github.com/fastpinball/libfastpinball
    When you want to make it super easy to make a complete game you would use MPF https://missionpinball.com/framework/ which uses the libfastpinball to control the FAST hardware.

Or, you know, pyprocgame on a proc board today. Comes with Starter.py - setup the hardware config, change like 4 noted lines in starter.py and *POOF* flipping game.

#473 9 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

EEeeew!
    Heheheheh... I am so language biased

Yeah yeah - for programming newbies, readable syntax languages are much easier to grok than diving in to your beloved C++. In my experience anyway.

#485 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

I'm pretty sure you can just say "C++11" and most C++ purists will just back away...

Quoted from Law:

Hey... I like tuples...

I have no idea what this even means. And I wrote a fully (essentially) functional game in pyprocgame.

1 month later
    #676 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I've been doodling on a blank playfield template, man, it's intimidating starting with nothing.
    My brain almost has too many ideas to actually settle on starting somewhere.

I was thinking about this the other day. It seems like the games that are popular with non-pinheads have some large, obvious, easily activated physical object that interacts with being shot somehow. the trunk on TOM, the Castle on MM, the Jiggly space ship on AFM or sparky on Metallica.

Seems like a good place to start is an idea for a physical mech That interacts with the ball somehow, then design around that.

5 months later
    #1085 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That's awesome Gerry. There are really 200+? Is there any kind of list of them anywhere? What's the most "popular" one? I'm guessing CCC, it's the only one I can think of that's "released".
    Edit: Derp, didn't refresh and see the post above asking almost the same question!

Just guessing here, but Gerry may be including individual occurrences of each title in the 'literally hundreds' - so ALL the CCCs, ALL the BOP2.0s, etc. In that sense, PROCs really are driving hundreds of games.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.