Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 3rdaxis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#122 9 years ago

Have a nice collection of .obj pieces. not sure if they will convert over..

3Dpinball.jpg3Dpinball.jpg
    3Dpinball63b.jpg3Dpinball63b.jpg
    TAF_RENDER_38.jpgTAF_RENDER_38.jpg

3d_Pinball2_21.jpg3d_Pinball2_21.jpg
    #125 9 years ago

Forgot about .stl that would work. I to would be surprised if it were to scale most likely not but yes, true scale to itself +-.001. Yea the ramps are a pain mostly for lack of reference points and getting the up ramp angle and curve is important to get right. I use box molding methods more or less and that one i had the actual machine and separate ramp to model from. Thanks

TAF_RENDER_41.jpgTAF_RENDER_41.jpg
    Untitled5.jpgUntitled5.jpg

#126 9 years ago

Thing i cheated on, just used a hand model from poser. Chair was a pain and still lacking detail but as to the original intention of the post all this would be nothing more then to get a good realistic look at the end result of a layout.

TAF_RENDER_45.jpgTAF_RENDER_45.jpg TAF_RENDER_48.jpgTAF_RENDER_48.jpg bulbs.jpgbulbs.jpg Untitled7.jpgUntitled7.jpg
    #127 9 years ago

This was one of my favorite renders..

3Dpinball64.jpg3Dpinball64.jpg
    #134 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

easier and faster to just work with a 2D blueprint

I totally agree, it gives little benefit to laying out a table more so just to give a visual representation which is of little use. For me its just fun

3Dpinball61.jpg3Dpinball61.jpg
    3d_Pinball2_20a.jpg3d_Pinball2_20a.jpg
    dfghrfsth.jpgdfghrfsth.jpg

#135 9 years ago

khjb.jpgkhjb.jpg
    Untitled6.jpgUntitled6.jpg

3d_Pinball2_14.jpg3d_Pinball2_14.jpg 3d_Pinball2_22.jpg3d_Pinball2_22.jpg
    #136 9 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

Here are a few parts from my library

Very nice work. I haven't used that program very much but i can't believe its modeling tools are that different. I draw all the parts in 2d in Autocad first then import them into 3dsMax to lathe, extrude or loft the objects out then materials etc..

#161 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Just after screwing around with my lane guide last night, as I was going to bed I realized I could simply 3D print my model to check it lol. Still not used to having that capability...

I so badly wish i had a 3d printer. That flux machine looks sharp.

#162 9 years ago

One thing i have always wanted to make was a vacuum forming machine. I have access to a machine shop fully capable of making molds for ramps and stuff. Always looking to take on a new project

#166 9 years ago
    Quoted from GimpMaster:

How about we just have some sort of dropbox or general file sharing site where we can throw this stuff into?

Sounds like a good idea, i'm in.

#173 9 years ago

An Ftp might be the way to go though i am not to familiar with it. For now i think this way is just fine. Sending now...

#177 9 years ago

Yep, the link works. i can see my file in there I exported all the basic pieces along with a pinball for scale reference. 1.0625 dia.

#180 9 years ago

Export options for 3dsMax 2014 .obj files

Untitled.pngUntitled.png

#181 9 years ago

I think the only thing i would need to make a pinball machine is a silkscreen company, the rest is pretty do-able. oh and a cnc wireforming machine would be nice (for habitrails) The code would be hard for sure but i think it would also be the funnest part (at times)

#186 9 years ago

I can also export in other formats directly from Max if that will save some time. Once we figure it all out should be a cinch.

export_options.jpgexport_options.jpg
    #187 9 years ago

Re-saved a post as a .DXF but again there are a number of options i have. For now i used the default settings.

#189 9 years ago

Interesting layout. Looks fun What is the deal with the i guess flipping playfield under the main playfield?

#194 9 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

hoping Stern would have done

They can't afford it

#199 9 years ago

That looks like fun! I wish i had a 3d printer. And a cnc router. And plastic mold injection machine .
    If i were you i would put a clutch in that thing if and when a limit switch fails. Do you have a video of this yet? Very cool indeed.

#200 9 years ago
    Quoted from BloodyCactus:

Ill be starting my Skyrim whitewood over xmas

I would love to see a layout of that

#202 9 years ago

There are so many way you could do that. I love a good engineering problem to solve.
    So you want the Merc to slowly travel in one direction untill its either rescued and transformed to the Winnebago and quickly returned or untill it reaches the end, in this case Spaceball One and stop then reset?

#204 9 years ago

Williams has done this on a few machines like BSD and Stern with Big Buck Hunter with a worm drive shaft the only difference is that it it cut to return automatically in other words you can let it run and it will simply go back and forth. I can't seem to find one on Marco as an example. Marco has a huge assortment of motors to use as well.

#205 9 years ago

Mechanical switches could be a problem until you get a ridged chassis with nice smooth movements, i would say go with opto or eddie switch's instead. Or prox switches.

#206 9 years ago

Are you running wires to the carriage for lighting or whatnot? The ol' telephone coiled wire trick

#210 9 years ago

Thought about the belt too but how to get it to flip? Easily

#212 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

flips over based on which direction the screw is turning

Thought thats what you were doing. You might want to just get a Lead screw and nut assembly. I would say to use a very low TPI or pitch with a geared motor for smoother movement.

#216 9 years ago

I think this is the simplest most elegant way you could go. Anything else would require a separate wired device on top of the carriage to flip over the two with the logic to do it. It would get way to complicated.

#217 9 years ago

You might consider making the mount points for the lead screw and motor separate from the "box" letting you have freedom to make it rigid and mount to the PF directly.

#221 9 years ago

Yea i see what you mean. The only other way i could see would be to have the carriage ride along a guide but the flipping mech would have to be different. hmmmm...

#222 9 years ago

Give me a minute..processing..

#223 9 years ago

Here's one solution. obviously the smaller the diameter of the cam is the quicker it will turn but you get the idea.

#224 9 years ago

I think this may be a bit more reliable and controllable friction wise. Here is one with a smaller camm you can notice the speed change.

#225 9 years ago

Or even dis-engage it.

#226 9 years ago

An even simpler way is to just build the box around the carriage and turn the wheel in one shape. I would even install brass shims along the friction points. Will make it straight and smooth as silk.
    And with this i see no reason you couldn't use your exsisting lead screw because it will be encapsulated
    but i might upgrade it for longevity anyway. Your thread pitch per inch will depend on the time you want for full travel and the motor drive output rpm. Sure there is some formula for it lol. In fact you can also use a belt with this orientation. That would be a snap..

ps.jpgps.jpg
    I would probably just use a pinswitch for the eos. They are tough, simple, very easy to install and cheep

Water-resistant-Long-Shaft-Pin-Switch.jpgWater-resistant-Long-Shaft-Pin-Switch.jpg

"Long-Shaft" lol

#227 9 years ago

This would also give you a kick ass 3d view of the ships flying towards and away from the playfield surface as they changed direction.

#229 9 years ago

I guess this takes us back to the original discussion about using 3d as a valuable tool for creating, at least for me. As you can see I can go through multiple revisions before anything is cut or wasted and really see how things fit together. I mean sure, i may have been able to draw it on a piece of paper but in the computer man, its just so much easier (and with much less erasing

#231 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

And loved every failure and success

No i totally agree, failure is a huge part of learning to do anything for sure. I've had my far share, some not a big deal and others quite costly. I, after many "just wing it" attempts now use it all the time. Even for something as simple as deciding on a paint color for the hallway Sometimes its almost like cheating.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

Untitled3_out_out.jpgUntitled3_out_out.jpg

#252 9 years ago

So did any of my models work/open in SW?

#306 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The problem is having so many crazy ideas but no way to bring them to life without expensive equipment like CNC routers, metal breaks, etc. and with zero experience.

Thats easy just farm it out to Pinsiders with cnc routers, etc..

#385 9 years ago

Thats pretty cool

#422 9 years ago

Damn, i have to get a 3d printer. All i have is a Haas VF2 4 axis

#425 9 years ago

We actually have two of them haha but still, i genuinely would love to get my hands on a 3d printer.

10906532_10203451983164759_7155264281554625828_n.jpg10906532_10203451983164759_7155264281554625828_n.jpg
    #454 9 years ago

That does simplify things

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 3rdaxis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood?tu=3rdaxis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.