Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,883 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 38.
    #501 9 years ago

I bought a bunch of random targets, switches, posts and rubbers yesterday. Got lights and switch matrixes prototyped on my Arduino already, hopefully I'll get a basic playfield (and brighter leds) going soon once I figure out transistors.

#502 9 years ago

Where did you purchase from?

#503 9 years ago

pinball life

#504 9 years ago

Marco will have a range as well if you can't find what you need from Pinball Life

#505 9 years ago

wondering how the shooter lane insert will play with the stern auto ball launcher arm. I need to figure out where that screws in and see maybe if I can make the holes in the same place or not..

#506 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

here is a playfield doodle template for people to sketch their ideas on. The playfield, backboard, stiffeners, flippers, lane guides, slingshots, trough hole and rear slider bracket holes are all correct in relation to a early 90's Bally playfield, except for the shooter lane insert.
    just print off and doddle your game ideas knowing the basics are to scale. The image isn't as bad as what is represented in the thread. I will provide a better one straight from the drawing package in about 1-2 weeks.
    I will add more info on to it soon, pop bumpers, certain SS dividers between the out lane and the shooter lane etc.

Playfield Doddle Template.pdf 111 KB

That's really awesome. I have been putting together a bunch of ideas in my head for a while, but with that blank of a canvas, I literally hit the wall going "where do I start?"

#508 9 years ago
    Quoted from BloodyCactus:

wondering how the shooter lane insert will play with the stern auto ball launcher arm. I need to figure out where that screws in and see maybe if I can make the holes in the same place or not..

I will soon be working on the autolaunch part of Bally's or a custom designed one with some laser cut files, using generic solenoids, pins and coil sleeves.

can you post some pics of the Stern version here please.

#509 9 years ago

wondering how the shooter lane insert will play with the stern auto ball launcher arm

Shouldn't matter, autolaunch is nothing more than a solenoid with a rubber tip. A manual shooter rod should mount at the same height.

#510 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Shouldn't matter, autolaunch is nothing more than a solenoid with a rubber tip. A manual shooter rod should mount at the same height.

I think BC was considering the mounting location underneath with the reduced playfield thickness there.

#511 9 years ago

sterns auto launch mounts below where the shooter lane is.

took some potato pictures of my SEGAx20150105_195315.jpgx20150105_195315.jpg SST. My Tron is identicalx20150105_194947.jpgx20150105_194947.jpgx20150105_195007.jpgx20150105_195007.jpgx20150105_195056.jpgx20150105_195056.jpg

#512 9 years ago

Due to a couple of requests I started putting the posts on branches on Shapeways to reduce the cost per unit. Branching skirts around the handling costs per job. Hope it helps those that don't have a printer.

I will do the round posts tomorrow night as a 4 x bundle.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=ball+guide+post

#513 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

here is a playfield doodle template for people to sketch their ideas on. The playfield, backboard, stiffeners, flippers, lane guides, slingshots, trough hole and rear slider bracket holes are all correct in relation to a early 90's Bally playfield, except for the shooter lane insert.
    just print off and doddle your game ideas knowing the basics are to scale. The image isn't as bad as what is represented in the thread. I will provide a better one straight from the drawing package in about 1-2 weeks.
    I will add more info on to it soon, pop bumpers, certain SS dividers between the out lane and the shooter lane etc.
    just click the image file link not the image, the image is a lot clearer than the displayed image.

playfield doodle.pdf 57 KB

After hitting the wall mentally when trying to put pen to paper, it all cleared up in the haze that comes from hitting the snooze button. This morning the big picture of what I want to do hit me like you wouldn't believe.

Is there an .igs of a playfield in this condition? Just the board, not the slings and whatnot, just to have that bare bones start.

#514 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

After hitting the wall mentally when trying to put pen to paper, it all cleared up in the haze that comes from hitting the snooze button. This morning the big picture of what I want to do hit me like you wouldn't believe.
    Is there an .igs of a playfield in this condition? Just the board, not the slings and whatnot, just to have that bare bones start.

I will provide the playfield in some sort of CAD supported file once I nut out the apron & slingshot hole placement and I will also put on there the pop bumper hole template - give me a few weeks as have a few other projects to finish up.

Seperate note: the 4 x bundle of the round posts are now up at shapeways for those needing / wanting them that don't have a 3D printer.

#515 9 years ago

There's a ton of discussion in here and lots of great info.

The big problem, however, is that all the information about making your own games is scattered across multiple forums and websites, making it a big job to gather information for someone who is looking to start making their own pinball machines.

Because of this, I decided to create a central repository for any and all information on custom pinball:

pm-logo.pngpm-logo.png

http://pinballmakers.com/

It's completely free and open - the only restriction is that you must create an account to edit information and upload files. It's also open to any control systems - P-ROC, FAST, PinHeck. The focus is on maintaining useful information to pinball makers in an easy-to-use resource.

The only problem? I need your help.

I've started filling in with a skeleton of information, but I need other people's help to fill it in with more details. I've not finished a game yet, and I've not been at it for years, so all those tips and tricks you have in your head, or you've posted in this forum post are things I don't know or I'm not sure it's okay to share on another site.

Some people are experts at one aspect, like say mechanical engineering, while others are programmers.

Even if you're not interested in directly editing an article on a subject, perhaps you know a link to a good one, or you've written one up and are willing to share the info. I'm happy to copy and format your info into the existing site.

I'm also looking for help on the site design. Right now it's using a default theme that looks okay but isn't great.

Basically, I'm looking for help. I have zero interest in making any money at this - I am 100% donating the server and bandwidth to the project. I just want to help create the best resource for pinball makers online. A one-stop shop of information for creating custom pinball machines.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

#516 9 years ago

Nice logo

#517 9 years ago

Fantasygoat, I love your page! Hopefully everybody can place all their pinball building knowledge here to consolidate as much info as possible. It's great to avoid scrambling from site to site.

#518 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

The big problem, however, is that all the information about making your own games is scattered across multiple forums and websites, making it a big job to gather information for someone who is looking to start making their own pinball machines.

This is a great idea. Thanks!

#519 9 years ago

do you have a hires of that image? that would look awesome on a tshirt. Nice to see a whole bunch of DWG files up there.

#520 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I will provide the playfield in some sort of CAD supported file once I nut out the apron & slingshot hole placement and I will also put on there the pop bumper hole template - give me a few weeks as have a few other projects to finish up.
    Seperate note: the 4 x bundle of the round posts are now up at shapeways for those needing / wanting them that don't have a 3D printer.

Thanks. I have worked a lot in the past with designing electrical boxes for test equipment. A lot of that stuff is standard as far as sizes, hole patterns, and cut-out shapes. I had a huge template palette of all that stuff that saved me tons of time. I would imagaine that would be the case for all of our pin pieces.

Quoted from jwilson:

Because of this, I decided to create a central repository for any and all information on custom pinball:

It's completely free and open - the only restriction is that you must create an account to edit information and upload files. It's also open to any control systems - P-ROC, FAST, PinHeck. The focus is on maintaining useful information to pinball makers in an easy-to-use resource.
    I've started filling in with a skeleton of information, but I need other people's help to fill it in with more details. I've not finished a game yet, and I've not been at it for years, so all those tips and tricks you have in your head, or you've posted in this forum post are things I don't know or I'm not sure it's okay to share on another site.
    Some people are experts at one aspect, like say mechanical engineering, while others are programmers.
    Even if you're not interested in directly editing an article on a subject, perhaps you know a link to a good one, or you've written one up and are willing to share the info. I'm happy to copy and format your info into the existing site.
    I'm also looking for help on the site design. Right now it's using a default theme that looks okay but isn't great.
    Basically, I'm looking for help. I have zero interest in making any money at this - I am 100% donating the server and bandwidth to the project. I just want to help create the best resource for pinball makers online. A one-stop shop of information for creating custom pinball machines.

pm-logo.png 25 KB

That logo is awesome! I'd love a shirt with that on it, or the highest res available file and I'll find a way to get it on a shirt.

#522 9 years ago

Awesome work on that site. I will see what I can contribute to it in short order.

#523 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

pm-logo.png 25 KB

I totally support this and think its awesome. I'll create a login promptly.

#524 9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'll look into getting shirts made.

Right now the worst sections are programming and artwork - the latter mostly because I haven't had time to fill stuff in.

After that, any help or suggestions on making it as easy to use as possible. I'm a graphic designer by training and a systems admin for a living, but my CSS and JS is basically non-existent.

#525 9 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

I'd love a shirt

I second that

Quoted from jwilson:

only restriction is that you must create an account to edit information and upload files

Thanks for making it a wiki, it'll get populated much faster that way. Haven't gotten my confirmation email yet to make edits.

#526 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Thanks everyone. I'll look into getting shirts made.

I'd be happy to run the shirts if you don't find someone by March. My silkscreen press is in storage until our new house is finished being printed.

#527 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Haven't gotten my confirmation email yet to make edits.

Hmm, when did you sign up? I was having an issue with email which I've since fixed.

#528 9 years ago

I have a question about power.

What is a readily good available power supply to cope with the flippers coils right down to lighting.

Please share what you are using and any links.

Cheers

#529 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Hmm, when did you sign up? I was having an issue with email which I've since fixed.

At lunchtime. Still didn't get an email, but I have access to make edits now.

#530 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

At lunchtime. Still didn't get an email, but I have access to make edits now.

Yeah, I just updated everyone - easier that way!

#531 9 years ago

Id rather keep talk here instead of another forum on pinballmakers.com

#532 9 years ago

Id rather keep talk here instead of another forum on pinballmakers.com

I think its fine to keep the talk here, but now that we are at 11 pages worth of information, I don't want to scan back through it all. It would be good to have the relevant content presented here transcribed to the wiki.

#533 9 years ago

A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG thanks to swinks for sending me the B/W lane guide part!

Any of you who may have been considering getting a pre-cut template should be happy to know my measurements are now up to date barring one more double check for the hanger locations.

I'm going to do a test cut within the next couple weeks.

I'll also make a cut that uses his plunger-lane printable part.

Template Update.jpgTemplate Update.jpg
    #534 9 years ago
    Quoted from GimpMaster:

I think its fine to keep the talk here, but now that we are at 11 pages worth of information, I don't want to scan back through it all. It would be good to have the relevant content presented here transcribed to the wiki.

My point exactly. I only put a forum up there due to requests from Facebook people, I am happy to leave the discussion here and just put the amazingly useful info from here on the wiki!

#535 9 years ago

People wanted shirts so I set up shirts.

http://skreened.com/pinballmakers/

They seem expensive but I make zero profit on them since they're print on demand. You have two options - the Anvil or AA shirts.

I'll be going through this thread to pull info for the wiki - I'll make sure to ask permission and give credit when I do. Thanks everyone.

#536 9 years ago

I'm reorganizing the programming section on Pinball Makers. Lots of information to cover!

#537 9 years ago

I filled in a few areas with general info (because so many sections are blank). Also added a ton of custom pins:
    http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Custom_Games

#538 9 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG thanks to swinks for sending me the B/W lane guide part!
    Any of you who may have been considering getting a pre-cut template should be happy to know my measurements are now up to date barring one more double check for the hanger locations.

Template Update.jpg 42 KB

nice work, probably to help others this layout is based on the later bally / wms very similar to the congo - wpc95 games.

I will have a look over the weekend but I know on my congo the service brackets use the up most sling shot post and then one of the hanger bracket holes I think I will have to check. The playfield I am modelling from is a creature playfield so the the service brackets are different design as well as the hanger brackets.

I have a spare set of the wpc-95 service brackets and will model up.

Are your playfields going to have the rear pivot brackets holes in it?

#539 9 years ago

They already have the back bracket holes, modeled after the ones used on WH20.

#540 9 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

Heck yeah!

#541 9 years ago

I've added sections covering wireform creation, vacuum-forming, making color-coded wiring and a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks to everyone who has helped source info and done some updating!

#542 9 years ago

So, lets say I have a mixed bag of logic controllers with reasonable built-in protection available, and I'm using a quality regulated power supply.

Is anyone aware of any good (read cheap and robust) really basic driver boards with just a bunch of MOSFETs and maybe (a) fuse(s)?

I'm aware of a few of the Pinball-oriented driver boards available as replacement parts or development platforms, but they have way more bells and whistles than I need or want right now. I'm looking for a "save me twenty minutes soldering MOSFETs and/or mounting breadboards in my cabinet" type board. Super basic.

#543 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I've added sections covering wireform creation, vacuum-forming, making color-coded wiring and a bunch of other stuff.
    Thanks to everyone who has helped source info and done some updating!

Cool stuff, I can't wait to check it out this weekend. I signed up for an account, I'll contribute as time allows.

#544 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

So, lets say I have a mixed bag of logic controllers with reasonable built-in protection available, and I'm using a quality regulated power supply.
    Is anyone aware of any good (read cheap and robust) really basic driver boards with just a bunch of MOSFETs and maybe (a) fuse(s)?
    I'm aware of a few of the Pinball-oriented driver boards available as replacement parts or development platforms, but they have way more bells and whistles than I need or want right now. I'm looking for a "save me twenty minutes soldering MOSFETs and/or mounting breadboards in my cabinet" type board. Super basic.

Here's a partial list I made a few years ago. Fast also has driver boards in the works, but I don't think they've been released.
    http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?topic=275.0

#545 9 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

Fast also has driver boards in the works, but I don't think they've been released.

Just about! We just secured a spot to do a little talk at the Arcade Expo on Saturday, January 17th at 3pm. We will be joined by Brian Madden of Mission Pinball. We look forward to showing off the new FAST hardware line-up and the latest developments of the Mission Pinball Framework.

If you will be in area, come check it out! arcadeexpo.com

Looks like I gotta get the Portable Pinball machine ready for another flight!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#546 9 years ago

Got all my parts in, do these star posts typically use a nut under the playfield or are they just held into the wood by syncing a screw?

I'll wire up the switches tomorrow and make sure my debounce routines are working correctly. Looking forward to the FAST controllers but will just mess around with Arduino until then.

IMG_1468.jpgIMG_1468.jpg

#547 9 years ago
    Quoted from LapsedGamer:

do these star posts typically use a nut under the playfield or are they just held into the wood by syncing a screw?

Posts can be held in by either a screw, or a post screw which can be self tapping:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2078

or machine threaded (which needs a T-nut under the playfield).
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2077
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=231

I prefer T-nuts because the self-tapping ones can become loose, which makes for removing plastics a pain. Not to say T-nuts can't strip underneath, but not if you don't over torque the screw.

#548 9 years ago

For the programming section, I would suggest initially going the pseudocode route, not tying to any API or specific language(C#, Python, etc). Making the language ambiguous would get the general point across for programming, no matter what you are doing.

I did do some contributions to pinballcontrollers.com's wiki, outlining small things like the pop bumpers, etc, with a small software section at the end of it(accumulating points, etc).

#549 9 years ago

The Game Logic section is going to be all in UML and such. I agree pseudo code is a good next step before language specific stuff.

#550 9 years ago
    Quoted from LapsedGamer:

will just mess around with Arduino until then.

Depending on the complexity of your game, you can actually get really far with an Arduino plus our driver boards. This is what Brian does for his machines (https://howtobuildapinballmachine.wordpress.com/).

Our driver board interface is completely open. When we released the boards, I published a sample arduino script for controlling them: http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/index.php/products/driver-boards/driver-board-faq/83

- Gerry
    http://www.pinballcontrollers.com
    http://www.multimorphic.com

There are 1,883 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.