Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,883 posts
  • 115 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MrBigg
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221115_175116 (resized).jpg
    20221105_214513 (resized).jpg
    20221025_174630 (resized).jpg
    20221002_125357 (resized).jpg
    20220828_130251 (resized).jpg
    20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
    20220811_190435 (resized).jpg
    b30d187522c0fcc21c8ab9402e12cf9d10f9bb12 (resized).jpg
    E142D237-4481-44F5-A94A-3CC7FE7A71D2 (resized).jpeg
    20170711_204158 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204145 (resized).jpg
    20170711_204208 (resized).jpg
    playfield doodle.jpg
    IMG_0619 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0415 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0407 (resized).JPG
    There are 1,883 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 38.
    #451 9 years ago

Yes. Technically this thread derailed along time ago. Typical pinside. Get back to the minimum it takes to make a whitewood. Two flippers, A bunch of posts , Some rubber rings, A few rails , Maybe a ramp or two .and a plan, If you want a flipping white wood you would need a control system if solid state,a power source and a ton of wires in different colors

#452 9 years ago

Agreed. Gerry is a great guy who's made invaluable contributions to the hobby, and I apologize for dragging thing off topic.

In my opinion it's too early to start even a new sub forum here, I think we need to have some projects cooking along a little more first. But I'd be delighted if there was really enough content to be posted to justify it!

At some point I'll probably try and write up my thoughts on art for boutique projects. It's such a make-or-break part of the game, and I feel like it's the area where a lot of otherwise really brilliant and resourceful people struggle. Maybe it's a left brain / right brain thing. It's so key to acceptance of your game though, if you're not just doing a vanity project, or something to learn and have fun with, but really want to market your game and sell it then it's gotta be more than an afterthought.

#453 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Get back to the minimum it takes to make a whitewood.

Find a Silverball Mania at local garage sale. Finish sanding off the artwork on the PF (the ball has already done 70% of it for you). Replace fuse. Done.

#454 9 years ago

That does simplify things

#455 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Yes. Technically this thread derailed along time ago. Typical pinside. Get back to the minimum it takes to make a whitewood.

I disagree.

We are actively building a library of parts and techniques to find the easiest entry point to whitewoods.

We've been exploring 3D printers as a way to get the basic necessities up faster and cheaper.

Maybe I'm taking the point of the thread incorrectly, but I was hoping to end up with a list of parts and options for future people to run with. I also assumed that wouldn't just be a parts list from pinball life, but also some options for 3D printing, computer aided design, etc...

#456 9 years ago

I'm just another poster here, but speaking as the person who started the thread I absolutely love the direction it's gone in.

#457 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Agreed. Gerry is a great guy who's made invaluable contributions to the hobby, and I apologize for dragging thing off topic.
    In my opinion it's too early to start even a new sub forum here, I think we need to have some projects cooking along a little more first. But I'd be delighted if there was really enough content to be posted to justify it!
    At some point I'll probably try and write up my thoughts on art for boutique projects. It's such a make-or-break part of the game, and I feel like it's the area where a lot of otherwise really brilliant and resourceful people struggle. Maybe it's a left brain / right brain thing. It's so key to acceptance of your game though, if you're not just doing a vanity project, or something to learn and have fun with, but really want to market your game and sell it then it's gotta be more than an afterthought.

I would like to see your write up on art for boutique pinball machines. It's the one thing I can't do is draw. If you ever want to get your art on one I'm designing two at the moment . My current artist that handles all the hand drawn stuff has been MIA for about 4 months

#458 9 years ago

I just saw minimum in the title. To me. Minimum means bare necessities like average peoples garage. Most people don't have cnc machines or 3d printers. Or did it mean absolute minimum parts which would make cnc and 3d printed parts even more off subject. Not trying to be rude just helpful

#459 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

I just saw minimum in the title. To me. Minimum means bare necessities like average peoples garage. Most people don't have cnc machines or 3d printers. Or did it mean absolute minimum parts which would make cnc and 3d printed parts even more off subject. Not trying to be rude just helpful

I don't know if people necessarily need 3D printers to benefit from the technology. Shapeways is always an option, as well as having someone like me print things for them. I would just charge the cost of materials. For example, if someone wanted a set of swinks ball guide posts, a couple shooter lanes, and some other stuff printed, they could either use shapeways or work out something with me/swinks/whoever to print them.

One of the ways I am using to get to a whitewood is by making "dummies" of the different types of things that stick above a playfield.

I want to be able to freely move them around my workbench while I tinker with ideas in my head. No balls needed yet, and no holes to cut. I just move them around like chess pieces.

For example, here is a dummy of a 3-Bank motorized target I made. It's the same dimensions as the real one when it is up above the playfield.

Swinks's ball guides are allowing me to move guides around my workbench easily as well, I just have them hot glued in place, but when i want to move them I just pop them off and stick them down somewhere else.

I'll take a pic in a bit of what I've got going on. I am trying to also get the dimensions for inline drops, if you happen to have access to a metallica.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-measurements-for-metallica-drop-targets

Dummy_3Bank.jpgDummy_3Bank.jpg
    #460 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Oh no, you're dead on. I was thinking small. But I love how the topic has expanded, it's awesome.

I'll definitely write up my art thoughts. And it's not "hey just get me to do it". Though I'm happy to talk to people, it's not like I'm the best artist in the world, or the only solution. So many talented people out there, builders just need an art director to help them find the right person and put the pieces together right when it comes to figuring out how the art should work.

#461 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'll take a pic in a bit of what I've got going on. I am trying to also get the dimensions for inline drops, if you happen to have access to a Metallica.

I can help with that if someone doesn't get to it before me, gotta go out and run some errands with the family right now. I owe you a favor for the PCB stuff you're offering to help with. Which my friend is rethinking, why I haven't gotten back to you yet.

#462 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

One of the ways I am using to get to a whitewood is by making "dummies" of the different types of things that stick above a playfield.

This is a very cool and simple thought... I will be adopting this idea in the weeks to come haha. Was making mockups out of foamcore last year but the 3d printer access certainly changes things here...

#463 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

I can verify this statement as true . Every time a post is deleted I personally email Gerry and question why a post has been deleted. And there is a post that just talks about a competitor with interaction from the competitor.

The post was to let people know that a bunch of pinball builders and friends of pinball were getting together at the Seattle Pinball Museum including Brian Madden showing the latest developments with the Mission Pinball Framework. The MPF runs on P-ROC hardware also. It was an impromptu event that came together quickly and I made the post (in the FAST Pinball thread) to spread the word. I can understand why Gerry would delete it and in hindsight I should have not bothered posting it. I am just sharing this because I don't want it to seem like it was just some shitty attempt to convert P-ROC users to FAST. I was just excited about getting pinball builders in the community together.

This is probably why Aurich and others have commented to the appeal of a neutral space for discussing pinball building/development. Where people don't need to worry about crossing lines or ruffling feathers. But let's get this thread back to the fun stuff!

I am looking forward to finishing up the construction on the new workspace so I can get back to building pinball myself! Stairs now have a railing/wall and the upper level door installed. I am off to finish some drywall...

image.jpgimage.jpg

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#464 9 years ago

I agree with others that this is a cool thread and how it is great that it is turning it a thread of various parts on offer, advice, templates etc. and not be a specific product though I don't see an issue on discussion of product comparison as it helps the potential builders decide which way to go.

For me I have been on the p-roc forum as a semi active member and Gerry has some great products but my stumbling block is programming and when you read that you need to load all these various components to be able to programme it scared me away. Not sure if FAST Pinball's will approach it differently but it would be cool if one of the product developers could have a product that could be wired in and when it came to programming just one simple programme was loaded on your computer that came with a basic library of code built in. As for the programming it would then be cool if a basic programme was supplied with a bunch of features that you can then just assign your solenoids, switches and globes to predetermined numbers (in the code). Then the basics already be installed and activated so it knows how to do a ball search, flippers, pops and slings all up and running as well as lights 1-40 say etc. So then the programming then really starts at the rules of your theme as the basics are already supplied and pre-installed. This would help so many people could test the shot layout before entering the rules and get a basic machine up and running much more simply and quicker. I know coding is simple for some just like I am comfortable designing the parts and mechs for pinballs but it would be cool if the P-roc / fast products could have a beginners package that could get you up and flipping faster.

For me I have wanted to build a pin for years but I would struggle if I have to do the whole lot myself so this is great that people are sharing info hence why I am trying to share my bit as well which is why I am offering thingiverse files for free as well as shapeways options for those without printers and laser files - it all helps. No offence to the share drive thing guys but found the thingiverse thing suits me best as I like seeing the data of download numbers and if I update a file I can share why I did that where a drop box is just a file and no attached info. So far 30 people have downloaded the complete version and 11 people the split version so it gets out there quick. I just hope more people get in and share and help each other as it allows everyone to reach new grounds.

Now can someone help me with my Congo problem ???

#465 9 years ago

Programming the p-roc isn't too difficult. I use the C++ library myself. The only real hard part imo is setting up the hardware i/o ports and such. But do that once then keep the same setup for all your projects.

I wrote a c++ wrapper for my projects so I'm not dependent on libproc's calls. When the time comes, I'll extend my framework to be switchable between p-roc and fast using simple #ifdef calls and build configurations.

Otherwise, it's really just basic game logic programming.

#466 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

my stumbling block is programming and when you read that you need to load all these various components to be able to programme it scared me away. Not sure if FAST Pinball's will approach it differently but it would be cool if one of the product developers could have a product that could be wired in and when it came to programming just one simple programme was loaded on your computer that came with a basic library of code built in. As for the programming it would then be cool if a basic programme was supplied with a bunch of features that you can then just assign your solenoids, switches and globes to predetermined numbers (in the code). Then the basics already be installed and activated so it knows how to do a ball search, flippers, pops and slings all up and running as well as lights 1-40 say etc. So then the programming then really starts at the rules of your theme as the basics are already supplied and pre-installed

I'm a guinea pig for a guy that's spinning his own boards, that have PWM solenoid drivers pre-programmed for flippers (48v initial hit, then 12v hold). From I've talked with him it sounds like it will be a lot of cut-n-paste basic programming for scoring (with a framework template to display scoring on an LCD). I'm on the verge of getting my flippers wired up to start flipping on my whitewood. He has a blog if you want to read his progres:
    http://openpinballproject.wordpress.com

#467 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I know coding is simple for some just like I am comfortable designing the parts and mechs for pinballs but it would be cool if the P-roc / fast products could have a beginners package that could get you up and flipping faster.

For sure. This was a big goal of ours. Using only a terminal connection to the hardware you can use the FAST Protocol to send serial commands to the FAST Controller and your playfield can be playing like an EM in minutes. I love this because I spend a lot of time just working on playfield physics before I am anywhere near wanting to truly program a game.

Here is a config string for a game I have been tinkering with. I just send a file over terminal and ta-da! Game is alive. Flippers, pops, slings, kickouts (on delay), etc. This snippet controls 3 dual wound flippers.

DN:00,00,02,08,12,20
    DN:00
    DN:01,01,02,08,07,20
    DN:01
    DN:02,00,02,09,12,20
    DN:02
    DN:03,01,02,09,07,20
    DN:03
    DN:04,00,02,09,09,20
    DN:04
    DN:05,01,02,09,07,20
    DN:05

Obviously, that doesnt make a lot of sense at the moment. Our latest hardware is on its way to us and when it arrives and is built and tested I will be making some demo videos showing how fast you can get to a "physical prototyping mode" with the hardware super fast. It was really important to make sure that you could develop your game the way you naturally do.

Back to drywall... boring!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#468 9 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

DN:00,00,02,08,12,20
    DN:00
    DN:01,01,02,08,07,20
    DN:01
    DN:02,00,02,09,12,20
    DN:02
    DN:03,01,02,09,07,20
    DN:03
    DN:04,00,02,09,09,20
    DN:04
    DN:05,01,02,09,07,20
    DN:05

This isn't encouraging non-programmers into giving it a go, it's just reaffirming their beliefs that "code is hard" -- because none of that means anything to them.

Python written in mostly plain english, however ...

#469 9 years ago

Really swinks. Did you ask for help before quitting. All the components are installed with the 1 click installer. Make a .yaml file designating all your coils, lights , and switches . Then modify the starter.py. Bam flipping. I can do it in 30 mins now. Including the install time. I have no prior programing experience. My background is construction management of concrete foundations so I'm basically retarded compared to everybody else on here. Lol. But I built a fully working pinball machine from absolute scratch Completely by hand. Well anyways. If you need help just ask.

#470 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

EEeeew!
    Heheheheh... I am so language biased

#471 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

This isn't encouraging non-programmers into giving it a go, it's just reaffirming their beliefs that "code is hard" -- because none of that means anything to them.

Sorry for not being clearer. My kids wanting to go get lunch so I was kinda rushing.

This isn't code, they are configuration strings sent over the terminal. Very low level "make this thing do this."

When you want to program using Python you would use the libfastpinball driver. https://github.com/fastpinball/libfastpinball

When you want to make it super easy to make a complete game you would use MPF https://missionpinball.com/framework/ which uses the libfastpinball to control the FAST hardware.

All I was showing (trying to) is that you can send config strings tying switches to hardware and make things come to life without any high level code at all. Just a serial over USB connection using a terminal app.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#472 9 years ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

When you want to program using Python you would use the libfastpinball driver. https://github.com/fastpinball/libfastpinball
    When you want to make it super easy to make a complete game you would use MPF https://missionpinball.com/framework/ which uses the libfastpinball to control the FAST hardware.

Or, you know, pyprocgame on a proc board today. Comes with Starter.py - setup the hardware config, change like 4 noted lines in starter.py and *POOF* flipping game.

#473 9 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

EEeeew!
    Heheheheh... I am so language biased

Yeah yeah - for programming newbies, readable syntax languages are much easier to grok than diving in to your beloved C++. In my experience anyway.

#474 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Or, you know, pyprocgame on a proc board today. Comes with Starter.py - setup the hardware config, change like 4 noted lines in starter.py and *POOF* flipping game.

That is another way to do it for sure!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#475 9 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah yeah - for programming newbies, readable syntax languages are much easier to grok than diving in to your beloved C++. In my experience anyway.

Heheheh I know, I'm just being a goon

#476 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bonnevil69:

Really swinks. Did you ask for help before quitting. All the components are installed with the 1 click installer. Make a .yaml file designating all your coils, lights , and switches . Then modify the starter.py. Bam flipping. I can do it in 30 mins now. Including the install time. I have no prior programing experience. My background is construction management of concrete foundations so I'm basically retarded compared to everybody else on here. Lol. But I built a fully working pinball machine from absolute scratch Completely by hand. Well anyways. If you need help just ask.

I never quit just procrastinated for a while and then decided to start working on models etc. Before buying all the parts I wanted to be comfortable and started reading up and just got a little overwhelmed as have absolute zero program experience. I will see what FAST does and then launch in with one of the products out there. Until then still have alot of models to draw and have fun with.

#477 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

For me I have been on the p-roc forum as a semi active member and Gerry has some great products but my stumbling block is programming and when you read that you need to load all these various components to be able to programme it scared me away.

I'm really scratching my head imagining how you ultimately crafted your insanely awesome solid works skills, but following 5-7 steps in a wiki as a deal breaker... something isn't clicking for me here as I try to build my mental model of you

Quoted from swinks:

Not sure if FAST Pinball's will approach it differently but it would be cool if one of the product developers could have a product that could be wired in and when it came to programming just one simple programme was loaded on your computer that came with a basic library of code built in. As for the programming it would then be cool if a basic programme was supplied with a bunch of features that you can then just assign your solenoids, switches and globes to predetermined numbers (in the code).

This has been bandied about a lot. The P-ROC-centric PyProcGame's starter.py will get you to that point quickly: a very generic flipping game, but that's not exactly what you're looking for --or at least, you wouldn't be happy with it once you had it. You'll need to start tweaking it, and it's not that hard to do. I'm working on developing a layer on top of PyProcGame --and I have been working on it for a little while now-- and there will be a release soon. I don't want to over-hype it. It will not "make everything easy" --it will make many things easier.

Quoted from swinks:

... I know coding is simple for some just like I am comfortable designing the parts and mechs for pinballs but it would be cool if the P-roc / fast products could have a beginners package that could get you up and flipping faster.

If you can swing engineering based problem solving and have learned solidworks, I'm sure you can learn to code in Python for PyProcGame. At the risk of repeating myself (though some clearly don't read posts at pinball controllers): Don't be afraid of Python, or PyProcGame.

I teach a Computer Architecture course to second year Computer Science majors at the College where I work. While they have been programming in C++ until this point, they have never done python prior to this course. To catch them up, I assign as "reading" the completion of specific units in Code Academy's Python units. We then talk for almost a full week's worth of classes about programming with PyProcGame, the majority of time feels like it's spent just conveying the basic operation of pinball machines (which most of us already know). Then they spend about two weeks with a skeletal Game class and an example mode or two to complete their final projects --a group based game built in pyprocgame. I will create a new thread for this year's submissions over on pinballcontrollers, but they were pretty awesome. That takes them about a month... while they are taking other classes.

So, basically, don't be afraid of Python or PyProcGame: I'm sure you can pick it up.

Also, we are a pretty active community over there, and if you ask for help over there, you will get it

Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm pretty sure you can just say "C++11" and most C++ purists will just back away...

#478 9 years ago

I might try diving into learning to code in Python if I get far enough into things. I was a pretty decent ActionScript coder back in the day when I was building a lot interactive Flash campaigns for game publishers, but I have no illusions about being an ace programmer.

I'm sure I can write hacky code that will get the job done though.

#479 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

I'm pretty sure you can just say "C++11" and most C++ purists will just back away...

Hey... I like tuples...

#480 9 years ago

If you coded in AS2, Python will be a breath of fresh air. If it was AS3, then you'll really appreciate it. In all seriousness, if you've done any programming, then you can totally so this. When you learned ActionScript I know you didn't have resources like Code Academy at your disposal. The online tools that exist to help teach programming are stellar now.

Quoted from Aurich:

I might try diving into learning to code in Python if I get far enough into things. I was a pretty decent ActionScript coder back in the day when I was building a lot interactive Flash campaigns for game publishers, but I have no illusions about being an ace programmer.
    I'm sure I can write hacky code that will get the job done though.

#481 9 years ago
    Quoted from Law:

Hey... I like tuples...

Me too. Though a purist would attack you with a Vector for such blasphemy.

#482 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

If you coded in AS2, Python will be a breath of fresh air. If it was AS3, then you'll really appreciate it. In all seriousness, if you've done any programming, then you can totally so this. When you learned ActionScript I know you didn't have resources like Code Academy at your disposal. The online tools that exist to help teach programming are stellar now.

I mostly did AS2. I have smatterings of other random programming experience (first language I learned was HyperTalk back in the early 90s) so I didn't go into ActionScript cold. I'm confident I could pick things up, it's just a matter of finding time and motivation. The latter isn't too hard, the former ... well, I can only do so many things in a day. Right now I'd rather play with this new Cintiq.

I can harass the Ars Technica tech team with programming questions too. They're Python haters, but use it for WordPress since that's our CMS platform.

#483 9 years ago

I think the changes to the .yaml file required to get something working are all quite easy and simple to follow and that is not where the initial problems exist. For me (a software developer) I have repeatedly run into problems due to dependencies required. The one click installer definitely helps in that regard but I have still had issues on multiple machines where I have to fix error after error while using the one click installer. - That isn't user friendly for a beginner. I imagine that a larger proportion of these errors are due to my environment (the compiler packaged with the one click installer gets confused in an existing visual studio environment) so a beginner would hopefully have a clean machine.

I've also run into similar problems when using MPF so at the moment that isn't the silver bullet framework.
    Designing/building pinball machines is hard though. I wouldn't expect it to be easy and happen with the single click of a button. Though hoping for something that gets a good portion of the way is certainly achievable. If I ever get started on my software and it turns out half decent I'll look into turning it generic so that others can benefit from it.

#484 9 years ago

Also, going back to the 3D printed models for placement and testing layout...
    What about embedding them with magnets and then sticking another one under the playfield to hold them in place so you don't have to glue or screw anything? Not sure how big they would have to be to work through the playfield though?

Or lay a sheet of metal on top of the playfield with magnet in each of the 3D printed parts and just stick them onto that. Wouldnt need to be very strong at all then.

#485 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Quoted from Law:

Hey... I like tuples...

I have no idea what this even means. And I wrote a fully (essentially) functional game in pyprocgame.

#486 9 years ago

<Derail>

Quoted from Mocean:

The 'auto' keyword. God damn I hate that (and c#'s 'var' as well). Be explicit dammit!
    </Derail>

#487 9 years ago

Thanks for the drawing compliment but last I looked admittedly at the wiki was close to a year ago as been busy with models, mods and a daughter that nearly died.

Everyone has their skills and I prefer the visual approach having used cad and solidworks for many years and working in the mech eng. field. Someone can give me a few photos or sketches and I can get a design close based off very little. I am sure I could get into the code but had a few issues loading other software for programming other things a while ago and just got me frustrated. But I will give it another go soon.

Each to their own.

#488 9 years ago

Well I guess everybody is willing to help you get through the initial jitters of coding swinks

#489 9 years ago

Update 3 - (1-1-15) - I added a Version 2 of the 2 part post for added grip for linking 2 x SS vertical ball guide strips. The post still has the same 13mm footprint but changing to square as opposed to round increases the clamping surface area to 2 ball guides.ball guide joiner post.pngball guide joiner post.png

#490 9 years ago

"Best thread ever" - CBG

#491 9 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Update 3 - (1-1-15) - I added a Version 2 of the 2 part post for added grip for linking 2 x SS vertical ball guide strips. The post still has the same 13mm footprint but changing to square as opposed to round increases the clamping surface area to 2 ball guides.

Got a set of four of these printing right now, I even used translucent orange to match your render color.

#492 9 years ago

Just another reason I'm jealous of the guys with 3D printers.

#493 9 years ago

I actually had the Ars Makerbot, but I didn't really have the time and energy to set it up, so I sent it to our gadget editor. Now I want to see if he wants to send it back.

#494 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Got a set of four of these printing right now, I even used translucent orange to match your render color.

Cool, don't know why I chose orange but made it semi transparent so people can see the hidden details.

#495 9 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Just another reason I'm jealous of the guys with 3D printers.

3d printers aren't without issues. Our professional Stratasys at work has issues about once a month now (usually clogged nozzles, broken material, or the platform needing shimming). Of course it's also 8 years old and just became obsolete (no more service support) so we'll be buying a new version this year. Thankfully the hobby market has pushed prices down while innovating (reducing failed parts, making printing more reliable). Even professional printers are following the same path. Our old printer cost $150k 8 years ago, the new one is $120k, has a better LCD interface, is faster and more reliable (and warns you when service parts are likely to go bad like nozzles and belts).

With that said, if you really want to get into 3d printing, shapeways isn't a terrible way to go if you're patient, or if you want to save money and deal local, there's a couple websites that can hook you up with local hobby printers:

https://www.3dhubs.com/
    http://www.makexyz.com

#496 9 years ago

I don't recommend makexyz.com

I tried to use them the other day. Had a price quoted, they took my order, yay? 48 hours later I get an email that no one wanted to print my order, and they wouldn't take my money after all.

Welp.

That's 2 days of wasted time. Never going to try and use them again.

#497 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I don't recommend makexyz.com

I tried to use them the other day. Had a price quoted, they took my order, yay? 48 hours later I get an email that no one wanted to print my order, and they wouldn't take my money after all.

Welp.

That's 2 days of wasted time. Never going to try and use them again.

I'm sure it varies by area, I'm actually surprised you didn't get better response in the california area with all the maker sheds out there. I got some parts made from a local guy, had really great communication throughout.

#498 9 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm sure it varies by area, I'm actually surprised you didn't get better response in the california area with all the maker sheds out there. I got some parts made from a local guy, had really great communication throughout.

I'm sure. But when I need something I don't want to wait 2 days to find out that it's not gonna happen. If you really don't care when you get it, and want to place an order, roll the dice, and then maybe place an order with someone else later, then sure. That's not cool for me.

#499 9 years ago

here is a playfield doodle template for people to sketch their ideas on. The playfield, backboard, stiffeners, flippers, lane guides, slingshots, trough hole and rear slider bracket holes are all correct in relation to a early 90's Bally playfield, except for the shooter lane insert.

just print off and doddle your game ideas knowing the basics are to scale. The image isn't as bad as what is represented in the thread. I will provide a better one straight from the drawing package in about 1-2 weeks.

I will add more info on to it soon, pop bumpers, certain SS dividers between the out lane and the shooter lane etc.

playfield doodle.jpgplayfield doodle.jpg

#500 9 years ago

Very cool and useful

There are 1,883 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-figure-out-the-bare-minimum-costparts-to-build-a-whitewood/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.