fat axl (resized).png
692CD31E-3625-484E-A33E-6FB9CF991CB8 (resized).jpeg
2fde1c2763748a6c3d30c9060e236ba6d73580d9.jpeg (1) (resized).jpg
0_wWYk3YFNmHw1P7ov_ (resized).png
Cage Laugh.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
Playing GNR.gif
Laughing..gif

There are 453 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 3 years ago

People, you might as well face it.

You’re addicted to love.

#252 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People, you might as well face it.
You’re addicted to love.

I CAN QUIT WHEN I WANT TO

#253 3 years ago
Quoted from Borntolose:

Been thinking all week how much more hyped I’d be if this gnr machine was a RUSH.

IF JJP took this exact same format (the concert as the theme, songs as "adventures"), invested as much in the art (classic Rush album artists, etc), had access to unlimited assets like they did with GNR, knocked it out of the park with the lighting integration (best in pinball history) and gave Eric the design job, they would have an equal hit on their hands, I have no doubt.

This formula is a smashing success and it requires all parts to work...game/layout design creativity, art, light show, unlimited access to assets, deep integration of two dozen songs+/-, etc...with all of those factors, you could pick from a list of many many bands that would be a success.

#254 3 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

In the innovation dept, Eric does say in the video they patented a new sensor. It's used in the shooter lane, not sure where else.

Shooter lane, Piano keys, 6 ball lock

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

IF JJP took this exact same format (the concert as the theme, songs as "adventures"), invested as much in the art (classic Rush album artists, etc), had access to unlimited assets like they did with GNR, knocked it out of the park with the lighting integration (best in pinball history) and gave Eric the design job, they would have an equal hit on their hands...

Sounds easy!

#256 3 years ago

heheh! No one said it was easy! But it is a pretty clear viable path to success and profitability!

#257 3 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

hope you havent forgotten this one.
true 'canadian content' featuring geddy lee of RUSH.
At least one million copies of 'The Great White North' album were sold in North America and earned a triple-platinum certification from the Canadian Recording Industry Association.
'Take Off' was a hit, peaking at number 16 on the Billboard 100 singles chart in March 1982, higher than any of Rush's songs ever charted on the U.S. top 40. It was Geddy Lee's biggest hit.

I actually owned that album. If you don’t like Geddy’s voice then the novelty hit “Take Off” will not change your mind, trust me.

I didn’t know it was their highest charter...that’s sad. Kinda like how Chuck Berry’s highest charted song was My Ding-a-ling. I guess those charts are every bit as “accurate” as the Pinside Top 100!

#258 3 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Say what you want but Rush total album sales is 40 million to GnRs 100 million. Personally, GnR is the better band and it’s not even close.

Better, as in, more commercialized and tied into cross promotional marketing via radio-overplay, sporting events, movies, television and commercials in general, then yeah, they're the better "money brand", but not necessarily the better band.

The masses can vote, rank and buy whatever is put infront of them, because they are basically influenced to do so via someones choice to over expose whatever they're selling/promoting. Doesn't mean shit to those who can see right thru it.

#259 3 years ago

Say what you want but Rush total album sales is 40 million to GnRs 100 million. Personally, GnR is the better band and it’s not even close.

Album sales mean nothing. U are aware Rhianna has sold 250 million albums worldwide, is she better than GnR?

GnR being a better band is complete and utter horseshit. I doubt the members of GnR themselves would claim they are a better band than Rush.

#260 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Album sales mean nothing. U are aware Rhianna has sold 250 million albums worldwide, is she better than GnR?
GnR being a better band is complete and utter horseshit. I doubt the members of GnR themselves would claim they are a better band than Rush.

Rihanna is better than GnR and Rush combined. What kind crazy points are you trying to make

#261 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I doubt the members of GnR themselves would claim they are a better band than Rush.

I don’t know, Axl’s got some balls on him.

For my part, I never really got prog rock, so I can tip my cap to Rush’s technical skills but the music just never did anything for me.

#262 3 years ago

Some of Rush’s best songs were not their mainstream hits. They wrote this song after a visit to NASA to watch a Space Shuttle launch.
Rush takes you on a journey and tells a great story along the way. And here I thought a lot of pinheads were technical nerds. And I mean that in the best possible way.... Turn it up. Hope you enjoy.

Lit up with anticipation
We arrive at the launching site
The sky is still dark, nearing dawn
On the Florida coastline

Circling choppers slash the night
With roving searchlight beams
This magic day when super-science
Mingles with the bright stuff of dreams

Floodlit in the hazy distance
The star of this unearthly show
Venting vapours, like the breath
Of a sleeping white dragon

Crackling speakers, voices tense
Resume the final count
All systems check, T minus nine
As the sun and the drama start to mount

The air is charged — a humid, motionless mass
The crowds and the cameras,
The cars full of spectators pass
Excitement so thick — you could cut it with a knife
Technology — high, on the leading edge of life

The earth beneath us starts to tremble
With the spreading of a low black cloud
A thunderous roar shakes the air
Like the whole world exploding

Scorching blast of golden fire
As it slowly leaves the ground
Tears away with a mighty force
The air is shattered by the awesome sound

Like a pillar of cloud, the smoke lingers
High in the air
In fascination — with the eyes of the world
We stare…

#263 3 years ago

I'll probably get flamed, but if Rush took away Geddy's mic and gave it to almost anyone else (aside from axl), the band would have made a bazillion dollars. He sounds like a smurf.

#264 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

After watching the videos, it’s very clear that GNR offers something truly exceptional and unique. I love my Stern games, but damn they seem outdated when I look at what Eric did with GNR. Congrats to all those who were able to sell your games before the GNR release. I think used prices will drop as GNR drains the market. Its obvious now why Stern was so quick to release Avengers. If I was Stern, I wouldn’t release Zeppelin anytime soon.

Ah, finally the new „a dark day for Stern“ thread.

But yes, of course it will have an impact. On the competition at least.

#265 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Some of Rush’s best songs were not their mainstream hits. They wrote this song after a visit to NASA to watch a Space Shuttle launch.
Rush takes you on a journey and tells a great story along the way. And here I thought a lot of pinheads were technical nerds. And I mean that in the best possible way.... Turn it up. Hope you enjoy.

Lit up with anticipation
We arrive at the launching site
The sky is still dark, nearing dawn
On the Florida coastline
Circling choppers slash the night
With roving searchlight beams
This magic day when super-science
Mingles with the bright stuff of dreams
Floodlit in the hazy distance
The star of this unearthly show
Venting vapours, like the breath
Of a sleeping white dragon
Crackling speakers, voices tense
Resume the final count
All systems check, T minus nine
As the sun and the drama start to mount
The air is charged — a humid, motionless mass
The crowds and the cameras,
The cars full of spectators pass
Excitement so thick — you could cut it with a knife
Technology — high, on the leading edge of life
The earth beneath us starts to tremble
With the spreading of a low black cloud
A thunderous roar shakes the air
Like the whole world exploding
Scorching blast of golden fire
As it slowly leaves the ground
Tears away with a mighty force
The air is shattered by the awesome sound
Like a pillar of cloud, the smoke lingers
High in the air
In fascination — with the eyes of the world
We stare…

Worst shite i ever heard.

#266 3 years ago

Passage to Bangkok is such a cool song. Imagine traveling about the world to experience the local botanical product. And that riff - how did they come up with that stuff? So cool!

#267 3 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I would trade 1/2 the lights on the play field , the light bars on the sides, the lights in the back of the game, the second screen and the upper play field for all the songs from Appetite and the Illusions.

You had me till upper playfield

#268 3 years ago

This thread is devaluing my record collection. Guess I should have kept those Rush 8-Tracks though.

#269 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Worst shite i ever heard.

Oh well back to T swift for you then.

#270 3 years ago

Every song on appetite for destruction is better than any song produced by Rush. Sorry not sorry <3

#271 3 years ago

Every song on appetite for destruction is better than any song produced by Rush. Sorry not sorry <3

Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion, man.

#272 3 years ago

They should make a Rush pinball machine. That will leave more money that I can spend on my Jeep.

But yeah, I used to listen to them shortly after sprouting pubes sometime in the mid 70s. Permanent Waves was the end of the road though.

#273 3 years ago

Rush never was that popular with the tries too hard to be cool crowd.

They are actually more accepted now than any time in their history. Guess RUSH was ahead of its time....

#275 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Rush never was that popular with the tries to hard to be cool crowd.

Rush was popular with the tries to be cool crowd. They all wanted to be just like Tom Sawyer.

#276 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Rush was popular with the tries to be cool crowd. They all wanted to be just like Tom Sawyer.

Yeah for that one summer everyone was talking about RUSH they were. That is how the tries too hard to be cool crowd operates. Don’t want to miss out on something everyone is talking about. You know this.

#277 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Quoted from Extraballz:

Yeah for that one summer everyone was talking about RUSH they were. That is how the tries too hard to be cool crowd operates. Don’t want to miss out on something everyone is talking about. You know this.

OK, but where did the "doesn't try hard enough to be cool" crowd fall on Rush?

#278 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Yessir, by that summer I was already over them and had moved on to new underground music. But most of the people I hung out with were definitely on the Rush bandwagon once they hit commercial success. They put up with me though.

#279 3 years ago

I guess at the time I didn't realize it, but I was one of the trying hard to be uncool and not run with the herd type people . There were a few of us. But, it all came down to I just always liked new music. Stlll do.

#280 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Quoted from o-din:

I’m so confused. How am I supposed to figure out if I was ever in the tries to be cool crowd? Or does it it only depend on how hard I tried?

#281 3 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I’m so confused. How am I supposed to figure out if I was ever in the tries to be cool crowd? Or does it it only depend on how hard I tried?

It depends on your definition of cool. Running with the herd and going along with what is popular at the time seems cool to some.

#283 3 years ago

To be fair I also like GnR. I was a teenager when AFD and Use your illusion 1 and 2 came out. Saw both tours. Other than those GnR albums the rest was meh for me personally but those albums had a lot of great music.

#284 3 years ago

To be fair, I also liked GnR. Saw them 3 times back in the day. Still doesn't give me a reason to pay big money for a new pinball machine themed after them NOW. That's so fucking long ago, I don't see the point.

#285 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

hey wrote this song after a visit to NASA to watch a Space Shuttle launch.

Not a very good one but this.

#286 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

To be fair, I also liked GnR. Saw them 3 times back in the day. Still doesn't give me a reason to pay big money for a new pinball machine themed after them NOW. That's so fucking long ago, I don't see the point.

There were huge when I was 18 but I don't listen to them anymore. No reason. U are correct sir.

#287 3 years ago

Some bands age like fine wine, some like milk. GnR has aged like cheese. Great long term but wouldn’t seek it out all the time.

Axl tends to raise my cholesterol.

#288 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Some bands age like fine wine, some like milk. GnR has aged like cheese.

To be fair, a lot of their fans have too. Then you have others that missed it entirely when it was really happening hoping that this will make up for it.

But hey, it gives people with lots of money something to spend it on. Just the fact that some are now left out in the cold on a CE model, makes them want one even more.

#289 3 years ago

Bunch of cynical old bastards!You can’t have fun if I’m miserable!!!

#290 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

But hey, it gives people with lots of money something to spend it on.

Its quite the sight to behold. For those collectors who love the flash its gonna be a real dazzler in the home environment. By far the best JJP game when it comes to art as well.

#291 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Its quite the sight to behold.

Yes, like everybody else, I was pretty awestruck on the day it was released, especially compared to what else is out there.

Then I woke up and smelled the coffee and realized it is just another almost 40 year old band that I no longer care about. Pinball as usual, pretty much.

#292 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Rush’s best songs

Neat! I'm a metalhead from the 80s -- had never heard this song before -- not *once*.

-mof

#293 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Neat! I'm a metalhead from the 80s -- had never heard this song before -- not *once*.

There's a reason for that.

#294 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I was pretty awestruck on the day it was released, especially compared to what else is out there.

Then I woke up

For me it was.
Then I played it.

same idea.

#295 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

For me it was.
Then I played it.
same idea.

Quoted from Hazoff:

For me it was.
Then I played it.
same idea.

There were only a couple games I’ve stepped up to and liked right out of gate.Dialed In at the Louisville expo and AC/DC LE at TPF.From I’ve seen GnR has to be level right to left with a 6.7 incline and the flipper power turned up a notch.I do believe most pinheads will love this game setup in a home environment

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I do believe most pinheads will love this game setup in a home environment

As long as it's not my home environment.

I try to keep uncool things around here to a minimum. Not trying to impress anybody else, just that I like to be surrounded by things that don't reek of modern day uncoolness. And this one is right near the top of that ladder.

#297 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I do believe most pinheads will love this game setup in a home environment

I agree. It didn't play poorly just wasn't for me. That I can tell right away. I thought BK3 was pretty empty and without 2 ramps i figured I wouldn't like it but after playing my first game I bought one. I loved the way AIQ shot but after one play I knew it wasn't for me in terms of theme and most of the audio. It happens. Loved DI gameplay, still do. But the theme keeps me from bringing it home.
Also u only needed to quote me once, I'm not Johnny 2 times
Get the papers, get the papers.

219zrlv3vts21 (resized).jpg219zrlv3vts21 (resized).jpg
#298 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Ugh.. this song and video.
How do you go from making a a great rock record to your singer getting so far up his own ass he thinks he's elton john or Richard Marx.
Have some success, spend 50 million on a bloated embarrasing video, start dating a super model and write cheezy piano ballads about the cold rain.
so cool...

Ok a bit late reply here but I was going down the rabbit hole and it turns out the video for Estranged cost like 3x more, November Rain is reported to have been just 1.5M (which is crazy expensive at the time). But it was also the first to get a billion views On YouTube yet it was created well before. I had no clue...

#299 3 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

Glad at least one person liked it. Lol. I was also into metal in the 80’s. Still remember seeing Master of Puppets tour in a small venue in Rhode Island. The speed and complexity of metal kind of got me interested in RUSH in the first place. I also like the material RUSH writes songs about. Not just sex drugs and rock and roll. Now in my late 40’s the 80’s RUSH seems to appeal to me the most. Heavy Synth and a much more subdued sound from their earlier stuff.

Another obscure one. Very non RUSH sound. Almost a POP song.

#300 3 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Another obscure one. Very non RUSH sound. Almost a POP song.

Rush went to shit after Moving pictures in many regards, It happens, I mean I really can't think of a band where its nothing but great. The early stuff usually reigns supreme and then it matures into just ok and finally it slowly, painfully dies.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
$ 49.99
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 453 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-face-it-people-gnr-just-devalued-all-machines/page/6?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.