fat axl (resized).png
692CD31E-3625-484E-A33E-6FB9CF991CB8 (resized).jpeg
2fde1c2763748a6c3d30c9060e236ba6d73580d9.jpeg (1) (resized).jpg
0_wWYk3YFNmHw1P7ov_ (resized).png
Cage Laugh.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
Playing GNR.gif
Laughing..gif
There are 453 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This isn't going to have any effect on existing games, but Stern watches and learns, and I'm fearful it will have an effect on future Stern games.

To be honest? I suspect it will have little effect on Stern games.

JJP clearly is raising the bar here but ultimately so what? Stern has a playbook they are running and it works for them. Why would they emulate JJP?

I look at the pin market like the automotive market. JJP is like one of those supercar companies and Stern more along the lines of General Motors. Both make cars, one just caters to a different clientele with deeper pockets.

Room for both.

#52 3 years ago

not sure it devalued anything but it sure as hell will change expectations on future machines.

#53 3 years ago

I'm not sure the market is the same for my LOTR and GNR lol

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

All of these GnR threads need to be combined. It's getting ridiculous....

This isn't even all of them.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#55 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

After watching the videos, it’s very clear that GNR offers something truly exceptional and unique. I love my Stern games, but damn do they seem outdated when I look at what Eric did with GNR. Congrats to all those who were able to sell your games before the GNR release. I think used prices will drop as GNR drains the market. Its obvious now why Stern was so quick to release Avengers. If I was Stern, I wouldn’t release Zeppelin anytime soon.

What a crock of shit observation.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from snowy_owl:

This isn't even all of them.
[quoted image]

Delt's just tired of having to post in every GnR thread why he thinks the LE is better then the CE.

#57 3 years ago

The hype train has left the station. The more I look at GNR, the more I think it looks like another mb heavy JJP game with an amazing light show. For the money, I'm still going for avengers prem. Bottom line is they are going to appeal to different audiences and neither will have any effect on the value of other games.

If you want an insane light show with amazing theme integration and non-stop multiballs, GNR is your game.

If you value unique shots and flow, then Avengers is your game.

#58 3 years ago

GnR looks interesting, but my money's going to Avengers.

After 8 years, JJP has yet to make a game compelling enough for me to own. I had a WOZ for a while but it just doesn't shoot well IMHO and I eventually got rid of it. Hobbit, DI, Pirates and Wonka all pretty good games (well, maybe not hobbit), but price and other issues keep me away. In the meantime I've gotten a Maiden and JP2 from Stern and am enjoying the hell out of both of those games. Elwin is bringing new and refreshing ideas and his games shoot great.

GnR might finally be *the* JJP worth getting, but there's no hurry, and I don't see it affecting other games' value. Pinball market overal is too big and there's not that many GnR fans out there who want a pinball machine. Remember, this band is 35 years old </odin>

#59 3 years ago

This thread makes me sad as it turns good pinheads against each other.
Pinball is good, more Pinball is better.

#60 3 years ago

I admit that I was getting the itch to buy one. Then I watched a few minutes of a stream. I mean it still looks very cool but I just fell off the hype train completely.

#61 3 years ago

If games get more advanced utilizing new tech AND becomes more fun, providing a more amusing show and entertainment ofc it will devalue older not so fun and amazing games. This is just as normal as nobody finding an electronic tube fat tv great anymore

Sure there may be a nostalgic and collector value in old things, but as a whole it will devalue lesser and older stuff.
If this continous, which is great btw i dont think the cgc model holds up much longer.

#62 3 years ago

We've come full circle...

WOZ was all about the RGB LEDs
Hobbit was all about the droptargets
DI was the return of Lawlor
PoTC was Eric debut
Wonka was cost cutting after Pirates
and now GnR is all about RGB LEDs again

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Flowst:

Boob, if you buy a GnR, Ill help you carry it in. Those Escalera’s can be dramatic I’m told. Hate for your new pin to fall and devalue itself.

I'm not remotely interested in GnR, even though I'm a huge JJP fan. I'm eyeing a few rumored Stern titles, though, and you, sir, by virtue of your boundless generosity and good will, are welcome to come to my house to play any and all at your convenience. I'll even provide the beer.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

This is just as normal as nobody finding an electronic tube fat tv great anymore

We beg to differ..

https://old.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/

CRTs still offer no motion blur whatsoever, something even the best OLED sets have trouble with. BFI still isn't where it needs to be.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Maybe quite the opposite. I think this game may bring in more pinball fans. My first game was a DE GNR back in 2013. I wanted it not because I was a pinhead at the time....but because I thought it would be cool to have that specific machine as I was a big fan. Sure I used to play a little at the arcade when I was young....but I never thought I'd now own 6 and going on 7 today. It may do the same for a lot of others.

This is a very good point and one I didn’t consider. We will see, great post!

#66 3 years ago

If I was Stern, I wouldn’t release Zeppelin anytime soon.

Cage Laugh.gifCage Laugh.gif
#67 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

After 8 years, JJP has yet to make a game compelling enough for me to own. I had a WOZ for a while but it just doesn't shoot well IMHO and I eventually got rid of it. Hobbit, DI, Pirates and Wonka all pretty good games (well, maybe not hobbit), but price and other issues keep me away. In the meantime I've gotten a Maiden and JP2 from Stern and am enjoying the hell out of both of those games. Elwin is bringing new and refreshing ideas and his games shoot great.
GnR might finally be *the* JJP worth getting, but there's no hurry, and I don't see it affecting other games' value. Pinball market overal is too big and there's not that many GnR fans out there who want a pinball machine. Remember, this band is 35 years old </odin>

I agree, Elwin games are so good, they will hold their value well. My statement is more about the subpar crap that has hit the market in the last 10 years.

#68 3 years ago

The only game it might devalue is the original DE game, but I really don't see that happening. Although that game isn't in the same league as the new GNR it does have the advantage of having the band in its original form (i.e. skinny Axl)....

#69 3 years ago

PINBALL DRAMA QUEENS ACTIVATE! Too bad the head cheerleader is banned and the minions have to spread the hype. It looks like a nice game. Nothing else has changed.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

When Deeproot releases the Pinbar it will deflate the GnR price. Lol

I actually laughed out loud at work. That was priceless.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Didn’t you and others say they would never sell out of $12500 collectors editions?

#72 3 years ago

Looks like a great game indeed (and the SE might be a genuine bargain), but let's not get ahead of ourselves just yet!

Looking at it objectively, it seems as if it is more "evolutionary" than "revolutionary"; I imagine it will ultimately land somewhere in the top 10 on the "charts", but everyone is in the new pin honeymoon phase at this time and it is probably a bit premature to declare that it will finally be THE pin to capture the top spot. (At this point, I still hold the opinion that JJPOTC remains JJP's high-water mark, but of course this is subject to change when I finally get a chance to play GnR.)

0_wWYk3YFNmHw1P7ov_ (resized).png0_wWYk3YFNmHw1P7ov_ (resized).png

#73 3 years ago

Great point OP. Willing to give your 4k for your Maiden Pro before price goes down even more.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Great point OP. Willing to give your 4k for your Maiden Pro before price goes down even more.

Now Iron Maiden pro there’s a stripped down game!
I shouldn’t state an opinion on this pin because I’ve only played it twice.
First time was a craft beer joint,put a dollar in and played for 13 minutes got sweaty and quit.Dude at the bar yelled you got high score after a couple weeks.Did’nt get the hype,albeit I do like JP 2

#75 3 years ago

This is a very good point and one I didn’t consider. We will see, great post!

To play maybe but to own? Noooo.

I tell them what I pay for pins and they crap their pants.

Casuals like pins till it is time to open the wallet.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#76 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

The only game it might devalue is the original DE game, but I really don't see that happening. Although that game isn't in the same league as the new GNR it does have the advantage of having the band in its original form (i.e. skinny Axl)....

I'm on the fence here.

The price for DE-GNR is a bit inflated in my opinion due to the theme. $6000-$7000 for a new GNR is mighty attractive and having another GNR available for purchase might drive down DE prices.

The exclusivity of the title is gone and the JJP title looks chock loaded with cool stuff.

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Now there’s a stripped down game!
I shouldn’t state an opinion on this pin because I’ve only played it twice.
First time was a craft beer joint,put a dollar in and played for 13 minutes got sweaty and quit.Dude at the bar yelled you got high score after a couple weeks.Did’nt get the hype,albeit I do like JP 2

I owned a IMDN LE for a couple months. Its a nice shooter, but its not in the same league as JJP's new GNR. I sold the game because I couldn't stand the music. The attention to detail on JJP's GNR is on an entirely different level, but if u don't like the band this might not be the pin for u. In our household theme matters.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm on the fence here.
The price for DE-GNR is a bit inflated in my opinion due to the theme. $6000-$7000 for a new GNR is mighty attractive and having another GNR available for purchase might drive down DE prices.
The exclusivity of the title is gone and the JJP title looks chock loaded with cool stuff.

All good points...I didn't realize the older DE GNR pins cost that much. If thats the case and u can buy the SE for the same price its a no brainer.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

When Deeproot releases the Pinbar it will deflate the GnR price. Lol

That's a a pretty big 'when'...

#81 3 years ago

New Stern's look great; they are doing a great job in production, design and theme.

The new GnR looks amazing! I love JJP pins, I own 2 at the moment.

However, all I am seeing from Pinsider market ads is prices going up ....maybe Levi has some insight as to the market bubble speculation?

#82 3 years ago

The key to GNR and prices will be a couple things the number of used games coming on to the market exceeds current demand. The game play of the standard edition which looks vastly different than the rest. The LE edition being at $9500 is much higher than many used games. So price wise which is a factor for many the std edition will come into play for most used buyers. If the standard edition is is a great experience then I think you see a down tick in used prices if not it will be prices as usual.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

The hype train has left the station. The more I look at GNR, the more I think it looks like another mb heavy JJP game with an amazing light show. For the money, I'm still going for avengers prem. Bottom line is they are going to appeal to different audiences and neither will have any effect on the value of other games.
If you want an insane light show with amazing theme integration and non-stop multiballs, GNR is your game.
If you value unique shots and flow, then Avengers is your game.

I value both. Thus, I’m getting both

They aren’t mutually exclusive

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Didn’t you and others say they would never sell out of $12500 collectors editions?

I never said that.. until this thread I rarely commented on JJP. I had no idea their prior CEs hadn't sold out either.

I think they left money on the table at 500 CEs for GnR, but not sure if they realized it would be as big a hit as it is.

I do NOT like them limiting playfield features to the CE. Stern does this correctly with just the extra bling for "CE" and the JJP policy discourages me from considering their games. I want a chance to try the different playfields before buying... if they won't offer that chance, I am less likely to buy any of them.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Now Iron Maiden pro there’s a stripped down game!

Iron Maiden Pro has more flippers (4) than GnR LE. It has two spinners, three ramps, two upper loops and very well-written rules. It does NOT have 600 RGB LEDs.

Which game sounds more fun to play?

EDIT, was thinking the flipper was removed from LE, that's the coma mech.. GnR LE does have same amount. SE loses the 4th.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I owned a IMDN LE for a couple months. Its a nice shooter, but its not in the same league as JJP's new GNR.

And how many games of GnR have you played?

#87 3 years ago

I doubt it has much effect on the prices of other games but I'm really excited for Eric and JJP and it's great to see that they have a major hit on their hands! I hope they sell a ton of them. I'm out on any machine at the $10K price point, but if it's a major seller that improves my odds of finding an LE for a good price in the HUO market 6 months or a year from now.

#88 3 years ago

I am always amused at the camp who thinks the more crap on a game the "better" the game is.

These are the same people who usually end up selling said game with 50 plays on it after two years.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Iron Maiden Pro has more flippers (4) than GnR LE. It has two spinners, three ramps, two upper loops and very well-written rules. It does NOT have 600 RGB LEDs.

They have the same number of flippers but I think Maiden Pro makes better use of the upper flippers.

I bought Iron Maiden despite not being a fan of Iron Maiden's music based primarily on gameplay and rule-set. It will be interesting to see if the same can be said for this game. Will people still buy it in droves if they don't care for GNR's music? I think it looks fantastic because I am a big GNR fan, but I'm not sure if I would have much interest if it was themed after another band like Iron Maiden, etc. I definitely need to play it to see if the gameplay and rules hold up.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I believe that GnR has 4 flippers as well.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I am always amused at the camp who thinks the more crap on a game the "better" the game is.
These are the same people who usually end up selling said game with 50 plays on it after two years.

Extra flippers don't always make a better game. I have one in my lineup that I positively hate at times since the extra flipper will block the path of the ball if not sucked back in promptly.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:And how many games of GnR have you played?

ZERO....to me theme matters thus the type of music matters...I love GNR music and hated IMDN (to each their own). With IMDN I wanted to see if game play would over shadow the music, and it did not for me. I'm not taking away the fact the game is well designed with great rules. Clearly JJP did a great job with theme integration and assets. Now does that make the game a great shooter? I don't know yet, but POTC certainly was great so I have a lot of faith in the design team.

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

GNR

#94 3 years ago

I believe new games like this actually increase the overall general interest in Pinball and increase the value of older games.

New people are coming into Pinball as a result of these new titles. Themes like Star Wars, Teanage Mutand Ninja Turtles, Rick and Morty and surely Guns and Roses become gateway pins that cross people over from other genres and they wind up buying a pin because they are interested in the theme.
Next thing you know, one pin turns into two. Two pins turn into three and so on.
This drives up the price of classic pins as new blood comes into the hobby. Unlike modern pins, the survival rate on older classic pins in no where near as high and there is a finite supply. Hence prices go when there is more demand than supply to meet it.
As prices continue to rise on NIB pins, older pins that can be had much cheaper than NIB items look pretty darn desirable from a monetary standpoint.

#95 3 years ago

Well first of all, I just love that this topic has so many downvotes. Secondly, and more importantly, I wish you were right. The market trend is more the opposite. As pins get more expensive, it is raising all other pins up with it. I certainly wouldn't have predicted it, but here we are buying getaways for 3500 dollars, now, instead of 1700.

Also, for all these talks about extra flippers magically making the game better, how come haunted house isnt ranked number 1 on pinside top 100?

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well first of all, I jistvlove that this topic has so many downvotes. Secondly, and more importantly, I wish you were right. The market trend is more the opposite. As pins get more expensive, it is raising all other pins up with it. I certainly wouldn't have predicted it, but here we are buying getaways for 3500 dollars, now, instead of 1700.

Precisely.
A rising tide lifts all boats.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Well first of all, I jistvlove that this topic has so many downvotes. Secondly, and more importantly, I wish you were right. The market trend is more the opposite. As pins get more expensive, it is raising all other pins up with it. I certainly wouldn't have predicted it, but here we are buying getaways for 3500 dollars, now, instead of 1700.

or paying $9-12K for a great example (restored) Williams IJ ....I love the game, but the prices are nuts.

#98 3 years ago

Maybe after a 30-45 minute game of fat Axl, endless multiballs, eye tracers from lightshow overload and wondering who the hell Melissa or Frank is it will end up being a good/fun game that GNR fans will love but will be hit and miss with most pin players.

#99 3 years ago

a dark night by DarkKnight hardy har.

Luckily there are all types of machines and people in the hobby.
Personally when I hear someone say "After watching videos of a machine..." I know this person is not someone I need to listen to.
To each their own.

#100 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

or paying $9-12K for a great example (restored) Williams IJ ....I love the game, but the prices are nuts.

Like you said, theme matters!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ardmore, PA
Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 210.00
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 453 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-face-it-people-gnr-just-devalued-all-machines/page/2?hl=nogoodnames222 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.