• 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by bkerins
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

!YCDI.jpg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

At Papa 17, I had a brief moment to chat with Lyman. He is such a quality, nice guy!
Anyhow, he mentioned that he was considering writing a rule sheet for ACDC. He said there are some strategic elements in the game that most people haven't considered or even know about.
Well, let me be the first to say
"Go Lyman Go!"
It is an awesome game already and it could only be made better with a better understanding!!
We all know that a big part of the success with recent Stern titles are the great rule sets by Lyman and team. Let's encourage them to help us understand the beauty and complexity of what they have created!!!
Two thumbs up, and keep up the good work.
Yes, we would love a rule sheet for ACDC (and any other games too!)

oh, and Go Leafs Go....

#2 9 years ago

This would be amazing. To understand the intentions of the programmer would be fantastic. We all take different approaches to our gameplay, but it would be cool to see what the theoretical "best" strategy might be.

I would love to see this for Metallica as well. It's not quite as complex as ACDC... And yet it's somehow much better!!!

Yup, I said it.

#3 9 years ago

Yes, please.

#4 9 years ago

That would be super. Maybe this exercise will with push Lyman to put finishing touches on code. Would welcome some real purpose to lower playfield. Its fun to bat the ball around, but come on. He continues to amaze making so many two-flipper fan layouts fun. If you erased the rules and his influence on LOTR, ACDC and MET, and handed them to someone else to code, those games would all have turned out very ordinary instead of being masterpieces.

#5 9 years ago

Bowen Kerins tips some pretty good strategies in his AC/DC tutorial:

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

He said there are some strategic elements in the game that most people haven't considered or even know about.

Goes without saying.

Seems like there's a million different ways to play the game.

#7 9 years ago

ACDC can be a drain monster if you don't practice safe ball control techniques. As much as I love to combo the crap out of it, that kind of (fun) reckless play endears itself to quick drains sooner as opposed to later. That's the problem with ACDC is that you want to play the flow, but the risk is great if you miss a shot - or hit the TNT targets. Now multiball is where you take those chances and fire away and that is a lot of fun. Just my opinion of course and results will vary between machines.

ACDC has so much possibility and I don't think it's all that it could be with the current rules. I'm hoping for a new update some day...

Rob

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If you took LOTR, ACDC and MET and erased his rules and handed tbem to someone else to code, those games would all be very common instead of the masterpieces.

I dunno, Keefer might make a decent run at trying to program LOTR.

#9 9 years ago

Rule sheet, rule sheet! Please!

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Point taken, and Keefer is still my favorite programmer by the slimmest of margins. But I was arguing that if you handed any of these games to one of Stern's other programmers, that they would not have turned out as polished nor nor would they stand out as being excellent pins. Lyman has the vision, creativity, skills, stubborness and dedication to stay on duty until he feels his games are finished.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Point taken, and Keefer is still my favorite programmer by the slimmest of margins. But I was arguing that if you handed any of these games to one of Stern's other programmers, that they would not have turned out as polished nor nor would they stand out as being excellent pins. Lyman has the vision, creativity, skills, stubborness and dedication to stay on duty until he feels his games are finished.

I was just joking because Keefer actually did code LOTR, not Lyman.

#12 9 years ago

I would love anyone to give a detailed and "dumb, user friendly" rule sheet on AC/DC. I have seen some typed up in sections but SO confusing to put it all together especially as it relates to some of those deeper rules. Love me some AC/DC and would like to know/understand some of the finer scoring rules.

#13 9 years ago

What do you want the rule sheet to look like? What questions should it answer?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

If I knew the questions to ask I would probably already know the answers, there are many deep and complex scoring rules to AC/DC and as this post was started mentions Lyman himself saying many people didn't know or realize. I'm sure the answers are out there in 10 different threads and people have said them but one central location "user friendly" and a well put together sheet outlining them would be helpful.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

I think it would be super helpful to include a "strategy" section, outlining a few approaches to play that would help codify the rules. It would be even better if these strategies were broken down into skill level, because let's face it: few of us have the skills of a Bowen Kerins or a Lyman Sheats, and won't be well-served in competition by trying to go for the highest-risk shots.

Ideas would be best songs for building up score and jackpot. A primer on how to decide when it's time to hit the jackpot shot. Play differences between the Pro and Premium/LE, etc. Not that it should be 100% a written tutorial, but AC/DC's rules and scoring are so deep that having real-world gameplay examples may help make it easier to parse and understand.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think LOTR is Keith's best work by far. Perfect rule set and progression. The right difficulty curve with one thing just out of reach of mere mortals that keeps them coming back.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

It would be even better if these strategies were broken down into skill level

THIS.

+1.

Is that how the kids say "I think this is a great idea."? Because I think this is a great idea.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

I think it would be super helpful to include a "strategy" section, outlining a few approaches to play that would help codify the rules. It would be even better if these strategies were broken down into skill level, because let's face it: few of us have the skills of a Bowen Kerins or a Lyman Sheats, and won't be well-served in competition by trying to go for the highest-risk shots.

It's been a while since I've watched Bowen's ACDC videos, but doesn't he cover that in the video? And like most of the awesome videos (completely volunteer basis and unpaid, I might add) Bowen has helped make, he generally explains which of the shots are high risk, and stays away from them unless there's an appropriate benefit to hitting the shot that outweighs the risk.

Watch some of PAPA's ACDC competition gameplay videos from PAPA Circuit events. Make note of when players go for the Song Jackpot shot and when they bail on it for a safer L orbit shot, or a slightly safer bell shot.

Quoted from zsciaeount:

Ideas would be best songs for building up score and jackpot. A primer on how to decide when it's time to hit the jackpot shot. Play differences between the Pro and Premium/LE, etc. Not that it should be 100% a written tutorial, but AC/DC's rules and scoring are so deep that having real-world gameplay examples may help make it easier to parse and understand.

See previous comment. I'm guessing you'll get most of your questions answered by watching the tutorial video or a few PAPA Circuit events that had ACDC as part of the coverage.

To give you a few things to look for:
- Note which shots players are consistently going for -- typically, it's to get to your nearest multiball with the safest shots.
- Note which shots players rarely intentionally aim for.
- Note the shots that players try to complete at the beginning of multiball to set up the add-a-ball.
- Note the strategy behind the VIP pass during multiball or during 2x/3x scoring.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

To give you a few things to look for:
- Note which shots players are consistently going for -- typically, it's to get to your nearest multiball with the safest shots.
- Note which shots players rarely intentionally aim for.
- Note the shots that players try to complete at the beginning of multiball to set up the add-a-ball.
- Note the strategy behind the VIP pass during multiball or during 2x/3x scoring.

Generally in a tournament you take what the game gives you rather than set anything up. When I play ACDC in a tournament (Super rare BTW) I will risk losing the first two balls to get Album lit even if it means shooting TNT. ACDC is a one ball game in a tournament; It just all depends when you go "all in"

#20 9 years ago

Stern, please don't do another update - it would make me have to sell a game and finally buy this title

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Stern, please don't do another update - it would make me have to sell a game and finally buy this title

Reverse psychology.. I like it!

Rob

#22 9 years ago

While we are talking AC/DC rules, what lights the 2X Bonus stamp at the end of a ball?
I know the flashing FIRE letter sometimes collects it, but have no idea what starts the letter flashing in the first place.

#23 9 years ago

Here is a good one: http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/4761-For-Those-About-to-Rock-AC-DC-Premium-LE-v1-65-Ruleset

Not sure about strategy, but it has crazy detailed scoring info. Sounds like some people here are talking about two different things: rules/scoring guide vs strategy guide.

#24 9 years ago

Lyman is the greatest by Far love my Acdc and MetallicA

Keep it up with TWD mr Lyman

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

While we are talking AC/DC rules, what lights the 2X Bonus stamp at the end of a ball?
I know the flashing FIRE letter sometimes collects it, but have no idea what starts the letter flashing in the first place.

I think it's super lanes but don't ask be what starts super lanes/loops/etc.

#26 9 years ago

Shoot 3 flashing white notes to start a super mode. The blue standups toggle the super mode, until it is started, which locks it in. You can also lock a super mode in with a vip pass if software is set that way.When you change a song using the jukebox, you can start an additional super mode by hitting 3 flashing white notes after the new song has started.

Quoted from luckymoey:

I think it's super lanes but don't ask be what starts super lanes/loops/etc.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from SolarRide:

Shoot 3 flashing white notes to start a super mode. The blue standups toggle the super mode, until it is started, which locks it in. You can also lock a super mode in with a vip pass if software is set that way.When you change a song using the jukebox, you can start an additional super mode by hitting 3 flashing white notes after the new song has started.

Awesome.
Thanks.

#28 9 years ago

I'd love this.

I own one and I'm still not really sure what everything does, or how to score big points.

#29 9 years ago

I'd be interested to see this too.

#30 9 years ago

Come on Lemon! Go Lime! Get it together guys! You can DO it! Pull together!

Would love to see the rule sheet. Why Stern doesn't release an in depth rule sheet with every release is beyond me.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Generally in a tournament you take what the game gives you rather than set anything up. When I play ACDC in a tournament (Super rare BTW) I will risk losing the first two balls to get Album lit even if it means shooting TNT. ACDC is a one ball game in a tournament; It just all depends when you go "all in"

What's so special about album? What's your approach to maximizing one ball?

#32 9 years ago

In depth rule sheets take a lot of time and energy with potentially low impact compared to the equivalent amount of extra polish that could go into the game. I'm not surprised one bit that Stern doesn't make rule sheets. Additionally, with the frequent updating of software, that would mean frequent updating of the rule sheet, and even more work.

#33 9 years ago

Lymanman!!!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I think LOTR is Keith's best work by far. Perfect rule set and progression. The right difficulty curve with one thing just out of reach of mere mortals that keeps them coming back.

I tink WPT has better rule integration than LOTR. Not the LOTR is lacking in that category! But WPT has far more intense shot-by-shot strategy, every flip of the game, and the rules aslo integrate incredibly with the pf features.

But on-topic, I too would like to see an ACDC rulesheet. Sections would include overview of the main modes (songs, albums, etc.), what specific songs do, how to change songs, what can/can't be stackes, and some overall strategy for both quick and major points.

#35 9 years ago

I would also suggest that I don't know anyone else who gives as much as Lyman does so we can really enjoy games. He works stupid hours then many times goes home and works on games in whatever spare time he has. Instead of asking him for more, thank him for all he's done.

#36 9 years ago

Hopefully ACDC will get another update to make the cannon inserts actually mean something.

#37 9 years ago

Hopefully ACDC will be appreciated as already super freaking awesome.

#38 9 years ago

In Lyman We Trust!

#39 9 years ago

I was under the impression we would be getting a detailed rule sheet a long time ago. Anyone remember this thread?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-rule-sheet-funding-threaddonations-to-pinball-outreach-project

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Hopefully ACDC will be appreciated as already super freaking awesome.

It is.
But I would not turn down more awesome.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I was under the impression we would be getting a detailed rule sheet a long time ago. Anyone remember this thread?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-rule-sheet-funding-threaddonations-to-pinball-outreach-project

Yes, I remember this quite well, and am currently in the middle of working on this project. That's why I'm asking people for suggestions.

#42 9 years ago

Let's encourage Lyman and Bowen!!!!!!!!!!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

Let's encourage Lyman and Bowen!!!!!!!!!!

If Bowen is actively working on this, I wouldn't want Lyman wasting his time on it. He can be working on code - lots of games to update~!

But yeah - we love your work - go guys!!

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

That's why I'm asking people for suggestions.

I'm most interested in understanding the scoring progressions of the various features. In particular, how one increases the value of song shots over time (and what the values are), as well as the point values for the various jackpots in the multiballs.

The super modes: are they selectable/timed/worth shooting for. How do I light my "loop jackpot", etc.

VIP Passes: what's the logic behind when they award what? How do you get more? (Song requests/Skill shots/?)

Finally, some of the song modes are more involved than others: TNT has the hurry-ups, for instance. Are there other modes that have poorly understood rules? Is there actually a reason to play "Let there be rock"?

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

I'm most interested in understanding the scoring progressions of the various features. In particular, how one increases the value of song shots over time (and what the values are), as well as the point values for the various jackpots in the multiballs.

If you're looking for scoring detail, this is your link: http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/4761-For-Those-About-to-Rock-AC-DC-Premium-LE-v1-65-Ruleset

There are some minor changes with the most recent code release, I think primarily (exclusively?) to Highway to Hell. But a TON of detail in that link.

Enjoy.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

But on-topic, I too would like to see an ACDC rulesheet. Sections would include overview of the main modes (songs, albums, etc.), what specific songs do, how to change songs, what can/can't be stackes, and some overall strategy for both quick and major points.

I'm being intentionally redundant, so that more people know about the existence of a VERY thorough and detailed rule sheet that already exists. If you'r looking for DETAIL, this is the place to go.

It does not talk much about STRATEGY.

Happy reading: http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/4761-For-Those-About-to-Rock-AC-DC-Premium-LE-v1-65-Ruleset

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

If you're looking for scoring detail, this is your link: http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/4761-For-Those-About-to-Rock-AC-DC-Premium-LE-v1-65-Ruleset
There are some minor changes with the most recent code release, I think primarily (exclusively?) to Highway to Hell. But a TON of detail in that link.
Enjoy.

When the given rule sheet was posted, there was much discussion of its correctness. Several people disagreed with some or all of it, though I haven't looked to see if it was changed.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

When the given rule sheet was posted, there was much discussion of its correctness. Several people disagreed with some or all of it, though I haven't looked to see if it was changed.

From when it was first posted, you're right. But the author, Sean, corrected the inaccuracies over a few months with help from the pinball community.

Even if it's still off on a couple of minor things (and aside from the 1.68 changes), I'd argue that it captures more than enough of the detail and scoring nuances to answer 95%+ of people's questions on how ACDC works, what does what, and what scores what.

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

VIP Passes: what's the logic behind when they award what? How do you get more? (Song requests/Skill shots/?)

That's a good question. I thought it was the current, most lucrative shot. When you play war machine and stab at the Fire button, you quickly realize that's not always the case..

#50 9 years ago

Had the chance to talk with Keith Johnson at the JJP factory. What a COOL person and all round great guy! Totally laid back. Talks to you and actually enjoys it. He's funny. Great pin player to boot. He's top shelf baby!

As for Lyman, I know he's a great pinballer and coder as well. I mean, these guys are geniuses at what they do. There's no two ways about it.

All that said. I'm hoping Keith will be able to make it out to Pintastic next July. I know there are a lot of people who would love the chance just to shake his hand and say "Thank You" for all the great machines you've coded.

That said, anyone know how to reach Lyman? Lyman is from Sudbury, MA. He's a "New Englandah" and if anyone should be at Pintastic New England, it's Lyman. He can visit family and then hit the show. It's less than an hour away from his hometown.

So, if anyone knows how to get in touch with him, PM me the info.

Mr. Sheats, if you see this, please feel free to PM me and let me know your thoughts.

Anyone who plans on attending Pintastic next July, shout it out if you'd like to see him speak at the show.

That said, AC/DC and Metalica are incredible machines. The MET code update took an already great game to another level. You know Lyman will do the same for AC/DC. So all I have to say to the OP is...GO LYMAN GO!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 12.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-encourage-lyman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.