2022-10-12_12-45-21 (resized).png
2022-10-12_12-43-47 (resized).png
IMG_9985 (resized).jpg
2022-09-23_01-08-16 (resized).jpg
Both_nested (resized).jpg
Right_bat (resized).jpg
Left_bat (resized).jpg
flpr-0031 (resized).jpg
There are 269 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 4 years ago

Finally got my TimeWarp up and running,it has some cabinet scrapes,a bit of playfield wear and a faded backglass but they all cant be plumbs.Cleaned ,polished, rebuilt all the mechs,bullet proofed as per Vids guide,fitted leds,converted to mosfets on the controlled lamps and used leons test rom to get it working.Had to level some inserts and flatten out the plastics.
Just polishing up the legs then its into the gamesroom
20200416_171045.jpg20200416_171045.jpg20200419_075209.jpg20200419_075209.jpg

1 month later
#152 3 years ago

Anyone in the club looking to buy a Time Warp cashbox? This one literally has Time Warp written on it so it would feel weird putting it in a different game.

150F6265-C859-4108-8D71-EC1E6BB32CF2.jpeg150F6265-C859-4108-8D71-EC1E6BB32CF2.jpeg
#153 3 years ago

Hey time warp gang. I need some help. Anyone have any ideas?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/time-warp-turning-off-and-on-very-quick

1 week later
#154 3 years ago

Guess who just joined this club? This guy! I picked up a project Time Warp machine and I can't wait to get 'er going.

#155 3 years ago
Quoted from detroitzoran:

Guess who just joined this club? This guy! I picked up a project Time Warp machine and I can't wait to get 'er going.

Welcome to the club. Post some pics

1 week later
#156 3 years ago

Thanks, here are some photos.
The G.I. lights light up, but the game doesn't boot so the first order of business will be to have the boards thoroughly gone over and bullet-proofed. The second order is business is trying to find curved flippers. There was one in the game, so really I just need to find the left. If anyone knows where I'd be able to find one, let me know.

20200704_185049 (resized).jpg20200704_185049 (resized).jpg20200704_185012 (resized).jpg20200704_185012 (resized).jpg20200704_185650 (resized).jpg20200704_185650 (resized).jpg20200704_185621 (resized).jpg20200704_185621 (resized).jpg20200704_190313 (resized).jpg20200704_190313 (resized).jpg
#157 3 years ago

Looks pretty nice. I found the flippers on here but may want to keep an eye on eBay

2 months later
#158 3 years ago

Hey everyone! I've only ever put a couple posts on another thread, not here, but I've been reading Pinside for almost a year, mostly to look up technical questions. I haven't found this one addressed. Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I have a malfunction or design issue with my Time Warp. I just noticed that if I max out the bonus multiplier at 10x, but then collect the bonus at the lower kicker, then the bonus awarded upon draining is awarded at 5x even though the 10x light is lit before the drain. If I drain without collecting up above, it awards the 10x normally. Is this normal? Anybody else have this issue? Nothing obviously fried. Seems like it could be in the programming, I can't find anything else wrong. Thanks!

#159 3 years ago

Wish I was able to help with this one. Never made it to 10x lol. There are a couple glitches from what I've heard with the code. This could be one of them. The one I know of is with the sound disappearing on ball 2.

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from Jethrodog:

I just noticed that if I max out the bonus multiplier at 10x, but then collect the bonus at the lower kicker, then the bonus awarded upon draining is awarded at 5x even though the 10x light is lit before the drain. If I drain without collecting up above, it awards the 10x normally. Is this normal? Anybody else have this issue? Nothing obviously fried. Seems like it could be in the programming, I can't find anything else wrong.

The game is designed to take away the 10x if you collect it midfield. If you complete the 5 bank again after doing so, it should relight for 10x and collect 10x the next time. The only bug would be why did the 10x light not go off?

I can tell you for sure that if the game has the 10x lamp lit, that's what it's keying on in the collect bonus routine - there is no separate variable for the bonus multiplier, it's the lamps that are lit that control it.

Quoted from Bax1:

The one I know of is with the sound disappearing on ball 2.

This is any ball that relaunches without scoring - or if your outhole double fires on launch. The background sound start on this game is a toggle - on, off, on, off, on each ball launch. Although, I hadn't ever tried a double, then drain to see if it starts again. It might not.

Regardless of how it works, there is a fix for it on ipdb as L3.

#161 3 years ago

Thanks guys! Yes, the light does go out after the midfield collect. At least today. When I was cycling it through manually yesterday, I swear it was staying lit. Heck, I dunno... will keep an eye on it. I suspected it was probably designed to limit the collect at that level. Good to know. Will have to look over the owner's manual, may have missed that! I will go to ipdb and finally get the sound glitch fixed. Appreciate the input, been messing around with this machine since February, learning a lot!

3 weeks later
#162 3 years ago

I wanted to share the new kit I just added to my UpKick store. It's $21. I created these cards, coin inserts and key chain for my friend's Time Warp that we are repairing.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1256-upkick-pinball/04243-time-warp-upkick-kit

Time Warp Key (resized).jpgTime Warp Key (resized).jpgtime warp coin inserts (resized).jpgtime warp coin inserts (resized).jpgtime warp info (resized).jpgtime warp info (resized).jpgtime warp rules (resized).jpgtime warp rules (resized).jpg
#163 3 years ago

Looks pretty sweet. Will need to keep these in mind. Nice job.

1 month later
#164 3 years ago

I can't find it anywhere in the manual. how do you turn on free play

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from Bax1:

I can't find it anywhere in the manual. how do you turn on free play

You should be able to do this by changing the max number of credits to 0. This should be setting 18, I believe.

#166 3 years ago

awesome. Thank you

2 months later
#167 3 years ago

Just picked up a decent/clean TW. The game plays however I have one remaining issue. I saw another post with the same issue in the club but didn’t see a response.

My drop targets reset at the start of a ball, they score when hit however they don’t reset when either the 3 or 5 banks have been completed. Wiring looks good, reflowed many connections, fixed a couple broken wires. Diodes are all good too. Not sure where to go next. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#168 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

My drop targets reset at the start of a ball, they score when hit however they don’t reset when either the 3 or 5 banks have been completed. Wiring looks good, reflowed many connections, fixed a couple broken wires. Diodes are all good too. Not sure where to go next. Any help is appreciated

You may have to clean sliders and horseshoes with a fiberglass eraser.
This design is a pita!
-Mike

#169 3 years ago

Cleaned the sliders and contacts and making progress. At this point I can get the bank of 5 to reset by slightly putting pressure/bending on a corner of the assembly from underneath. The bank of 3 is about 70% on resets. Does this mean contact adjustments to fine tune? If so, any tips on figuring out which contact is the culprit?

#170 3 years ago

You can test switching up which target you hit last. That might show you which one needs tweaking if that one doesn’t reset it

#171 3 years ago

Not seeing anything obvious and all drops score, all wiring is intact and correct. Slider boards are in surprisingly good shape. I’ll keep messing with them, must be just a slight adjustment on one or more of the contacts.

Last issue I have with this machine is the display. I have a couple burnt resistors on the master display board which I’ll replace. Master display board has flickering displays. Per some other posts, I’m thinking IC11 needs to be replaced. Pulling off and reseating connectors corrects this issue short term but it always returns. Anyone have any additional suggestions?

#172 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Not seeing anything obvious and all drops score, all wiring is intact and correct. Slider boards are in surprisingly good shape. I’ll keep messing with them, must be just a slight adjustment on one or more of the contacts.
Last issue I have with this machine is the display. I have a couple burnt resistors on the master display board which I’ll replace. Master display board has flickering displays. Per some other posts, I’m thinking IC11 needs to be replaced. Pulling off and reseating connectors corrects this issue short term but it always returns. Anyone have any additional suggestions?

The horseshoe contact style drops also suffer from the screw holes on the "slider" plastics cracking or getting worn out so that the contact circuit boards don't sit firmly in place. If the boards wiggle around at all it can cause problems. The sliders can be difficult to find replacements for, though some 3d printing people are offering them...another source is a set of newer drop targets as they use the same plastics but the screw holes for the horseshoe boards are untouched and perfect.

In the past when I've worked to revive horseshoe contact drop targets, a bit of DeOxit spray has been very helpful in maintaining good connectivity.

On to your display issue, if re-seating the connectors solves it temporarily, do not suspect any problems other than needing to re-solder, or replace, the header pins on the board and in the harness connector. At minimum, re-solder them and shoot some DeOxit on them before re-connecting.

Richard

#173 3 years ago
Quoted from someotherguy:

The horseshoe contact style drops also suffer from the screw holes on the "slider" plastics cracking or getting worn out so that the contact circuit boards don't sit firmly in place. If the boards wiggle around at all it can cause problems. The sliders can be difficult to find replacements for, though some 3d printing people are offering them...another source is a set of newer drop targets (later system 6, 7, 9, 11) as they use the same plastics but being leaf and micro switch instead of horseshoe, the screw holes for the horseshoe boards are untouched and perfect.
In the past when I've worked to revive horseshoe contact drop targets, a bit of DeOxit spray has been very helpful in maintaining good connectivity.
On to your display issue, if re-seating the connectors solves it temporarily, do not suspect any problems other than needing to re-solder, or replace, the header pins on the board and in the harness connector. At minimum, re-solder them and shoot some DeOxit on them before re-connecting.
Richard

Ugg, sorry. That was supposed to be an edit, not a quote. The addition was, "(later system 6, 7, 9, 11) as they use the same plastics but being leaf and micro switch instead of horseshoe,"

Richard

#174 3 years ago

the horseshoe also has a little ball contact on the end of each. make sure those are clean. I use iso alcohol to clean the grime off mine. I did bend each leg so they had good contact, but if you are getting scoring this may not be your problem. if each one is scoring it is seeing it drop.

#175 3 years ago

Thanks Bax1 and @someotherguy!

#176 3 years ago

Reflowed the header pins and the display issue is resolved however a new problem has come up. The game will boot, GI lights come on but on the master display and P1 displays there’s a rolling counter. The game just keeps cycling through this. If I boot with the test switch in manual, the game does nothing. Pressing the diagnostic switch on the MPU yields both LED’s flashing twice then going off. Thoughts?

#177 3 years ago

Try turning off and on with the coin door open. Have the rom sockets been replaced?

#178 3 years ago

I’ve tried both with door opened and closed. Rom sockets look original so I’ll replace them and report back. Thanks

#179 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Reflowed the header pins and the display issue is resolved however a new problem has come up. The game will boot, GI lights come on but on the master display and P1 displays there’s a rolling counter. The game just keeps cycling through this. If I boot with the test switch in manual, the game does nothing. Pressing the diagnostic switch on the MPU yields both LED’s flashing twice then going off. Thoughts?

Did you get the two 4 pin connectors J3 and J4 in the right place on the upper left corner of the MPU board? They might be swapped.

#180 3 years ago

ROM sockets were in good shape, replaced anyway. No change.

The two 4-pin connectors were in the right spots as they’re keyed.

Still no progress

#181 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

Pressing the diagnostic switch on the MPU yields both LED’s flashing twice then going off. Thoughts?

Not sure why I didn’t ask but if you are getting 2 flashes from leds what is that supposed to mean?

#182 3 years ago

From pinwiki

Pressing the Diagnostic button on a properly functioning System 3 - 6 MPU will cause both LEDs to flash twice in unison and then go off. If the bottom LED remains on, the game software is indicating a ROM failure. If the top LED remains on, the game software is indicating a RAM failure (6810). And if both LEDs remain on, the game software is indicating a CMOS RAM failure (5101). However, the accuracy of this test is questionable since the game software must be functioning properly for the test report to be valid and the game software requires ROM and RAM to function in the first place. The short advice is: don't rely on this diagnostic test result.

#183 3 years ago

I’ve worked on several early wms solid state games and have found quite the opposite of what was quoted from pinwiki and have had much success relying upon the mpu flashes to guide me in the right direction for repairs. I’ve never seen the behavior this game is displaying. I’ve ruled out all the obvious possible causes including some of the suggestions from this forum. I picked this machine up from a friend who said it worked prior to the battery holder breaking and that he had a “repair guy” install a new holder which didn’t fix the game (no corrosion on board).

#184 3 years ago

40 pin good? If anything is wonky that can cause strange things

#185 3 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Talked to a guy today that said "why would you own a time warp!? That game sucks!"
Why is time warp so hated!!!?

I was restoring a time warp about six years ago. I was discussing the project and the guy said, and I quote.

“That a lot of work for a time warp.”
Of course, I disagreed.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

I’ve worked on several early wms solid state games and have found quite the opposite of what was quoted from pinwiki and have had much success relying upon the mpu flashes to guide me in the right direction for repairs. I’ve never seen the behavior this game is displaying. I’ve ruled out all the obvious possible causes including some of the suggestions from this forum.

LED flashes on wms cpu boards aren't as comprehensive as Bally/Stern for sure. They just don't do anything much to point you in the right direction to look other than which ram might be bad. Not sure by what you mean by "opposite" as quoted from pinwiki. I can tell you for sure that the test only tests the gamerom checksum (first), regular ram (second), then the 5101 ram (third). There's no other functionality in that test (this is right from looking at the assembly code). There's no PIA tests, or IRQ tests. (The IRQ is working because otherwise you would get no displays).

So IIRC your behavior seen is the game is counting numbers up when you boot on the 1st player display and the match display? Are they the same numbers in each display? If the match # is counting from 00-35 and repeating, the game is in audits. (And on the plus side, it's booting fine to get that far). You have the diagnostic switch grounded via a solder splash, board attachment,or wiring issue.

Was this issue present before you started to do anything else on the board? Does it do it with j3 and j4 disconnected?

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from Cherga:

I’ve worked on several early wms solid state games and have found quite the opposite of what was quoted from pinwiki and have had much success relying upon the mpu flashes to guide me in the right direction for repairs. I’ve never seen the behavior this game is displaying. I’ve ruled out all the obvious possible causes including some of the suggestions from this forum. I picked this machine up from a friend who said it worked prior to the battery holder breaking and that he had a “repair guy” install a new holder which didn’t fix the game (no corrosion on board).

There is a very small trace that leads from one of the ground pins of the battery holder to ground one of the logic gates near by (I think it might be IC 24). When the battery holder is hastily replaced and vias pulled from the board or traces damaged, this chip loses it's ground. The diagnostic switches are de-bounced by IC24 and are held in the wrong state when this chip loses ground.

2 months later
#188 3 years ago

Did you ever figure out the resetting issue? I have a similar problem with the 5 bank targets. Each target scores, so I assume that the contacts are good (I've made countless adjustments). However the 5 bank doesn't reset unil after you drain the ball. The 3 bank seems to work properly just about everytime.

Quoted from Cherga:

Just picked up a decent/clean TW. The game plays however I have one remaining issue. I saw another post with the same issue in the club but didn’t see a response.
My drop targets reset at the start of a ball, they score when hit however they don’t reset when either the 3 or 5 banks have been completed. Wiring looks good, reflowed many connections, fixed a couple broken wires. Diodes are all good too. Not sure where to go next. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#189 3 years ago

Did you ever figure out the resetting issue? I have a similar problem with the 5 bank targets. Each target scores, so I assume that the contacts are good (I've made countless adjustments). However the 5 bank doesn't reset unil after you drain the ball. The 3 bank seems to work properly just about everytime.

check your wiring. I had that issue but one of the daisy chains came off. once back on it would reset. I am also beta testing some new boards that use magnets instead of the horse shoes. they are super responsive. loving it so far.

#190 3 years ago

What Bax says. Check continuity through the whole chain of targets with all of them in the dropped position. The way the game detects all targets down is a poor way to do it and any imperfection makes it fail.

#191 3 years ago

Quoted from Bax1:

check your wiring. I had that issue but one of the daisy chains came off. once back on it would reset. I am also beta testing some new boards that use magnets instead of the horse shoes. they are super responsive. loving it so far.

Yes, check your wiring for the "all targets down" circuit. DO NOT assume they are correct. Often they have been soldered back on in the wrong position.

If that checks out, check the diode.

5 months later
#192 2 years ago

Does anyone have or know where I can find a file I can use to print Time Warp drop target decals?

#193 2 years ago
timewarp-target-sheet copy.pngtimewarp-target-sheet copy.png
2 months later
#195 2 years ago

Hey guys,
I'm working on bringing a Time Warp back to life and am looking for a display and some plastics. Specifically the astronaut one on the bottom left and top left plastic.

#196 2 years ago
Quoted from NinJaBooT:

Hey guys,
I'm working on bringing a Time Warp back to life and am looking for a display and some plastics. Specifically the astronaut one on the bottom left and top left plastic.

Bottom left astronaut on Ebay... ebay.com link: Williams Time Warp Pinball Machine Playfield Plastic 30C 489 6

#197 2 years ago

Cleaning up nicely.

02491D80-E09D-4013-B407-9E7B5CAA5046 (resized).jpeg02491D80-E09D-4013-B407-9E7B5CAA5046 (resized).jpeg7EAB56A2-0747-41EF-BECA-6F9F22A25257 (resized).jpeg7EAB56A2-0747-41EF-BECA-6F9F22A25257 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
1 week later
#200 2 years ago

after months of searching I just got my first pinball... Time Warp! It's not quite working, hopefully the technician coming on friday gets it going. But it turns on and is beautiful!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

750 (Firm)
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 269 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-do-the-time-warp-clubagain/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.