(Topic ID: 185738)

Let's chat EMBRYON! (with a nod to the Classic Bally poll thread)

By cody_chunn

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by vec-tor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

...where DaveH put forth the notion:

"I sometimes forget about Embryon, which is crazy because I owned it for 4 years. That was a fun game. Not as great as some others, but wonderful."

Which got me thinking. I've owned it twice (traded a BlackKnight for one), sold it twice. It's got a fantastic sci-fi concept, great art, speech and multiball in a Bally Super Pin. That should be a slam dunk, right? It wasn't for me.

The way the playfield is divided in half it becomes a tale of two games. And the game on the left becomes completely unnecessary compared to the right one. The upper flipper and target bank gets you points, extra ball, spots letters...you can light lock and never shoot the dangerous captive ball. You light and shoot the lock on the right, then release the ball on the right.

I ended up completely ignoring the left half of the game, just taking shot-lefts when they had to be made to keep the ball alive, and forehanding or backhanding all balls to the upper flipper over and over, then the captive ball a couple times to light lock and shoot for release, which can be elusive.

But half a game just couldn't keep me entertained like a pin needs to.

Just my opinion...what's yours?

#2 7 years ago

There's plenty of big points on the left side of the game with the spinner and the roll overs up top which all can give an extra ball and some pretty big points. If anything is useless it's not the left side of the game, it's the multiball which has no real reward for getting it and it's damn hard to get. Avoiding the double captive ball is likely why you never found the game that much fun. I always light the flip save and pound away on that vaginal looking thing . The left drain has a pretty good chance of getting a well timed nudge save and you have a flip save on the right. Just avoid the straight down the middle drains and pound away until Embryon is spelled.

#3 7 years ago

^^^ This ^^^

Lighting spinner and ripping plus lighting the roll overs can lead to big scores. This is half my focus during the game, when I am not trying to drop the targets on the upper right.

Agreed, multiball is pointless and I hope to see someone address this someday.

#4 7 years ago

Lighting the upper left rollovers increases your bonus multiplier. The left side is still very important.

#5 7 years ago

The game sounds great -- and it will make you a better player.
That's my #1 and #2 criteria.
-mof

#6 7 years ago

Most of what's on the playfield has a purpose. Upper left has a worthwhile spinner and bonus x on the rollovers.

Upper right has the drops and 1k rollovers, plus the ball lock if you happen to light it. The lower right has the drop targets and captive ball to start multiball, which is rough.

Lower left drops and captive ball aren't terribly useful I guess, and the vagina in the middle of the playfield is a sucker shot

Only thing I'd change is double scores during multiball - that seems fair, for as hard as it is to start and as short as it generally lasts.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

If anything is useless it's not the left side of the game, it's the multiball which has no real reward for getting it and it's damn hard to get.

Quoted from pinballholder:

Agreed, multiball is pointless

Ah, OK...my entire purpose when playing vintage games with multiball, is getting multiball. It is its own reward. No jackpots, no victory laps, just more than one ball on the field.

Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Lighting the upper left rollovers increases your bonus multiplier. The left side is still very important.

Yeah, but that stuff seems to just happen on its own when you have to dump the ball up the left side because of the position or roll of the ball. Like a slap-save or quick kick from the slingshot.

And the left side rollback is not without risk.

Quoted from mof:

The game sounds great -- and it will make you a better player.
That's my #1 and #2 criteria.
-mof

This I cannot argue with.

Quoted from Collin:

Only thing I'd change is double scores during multiball - that seems fair, for as hard as it is to start and as short as it generally lasts.

That wouldn't be a bad thing. But during multiball is the rare time I purposefully shoot the left side to occupy one ball while I pound the center captive trying to re-light lock. How many times have you started multiball a second time? That's pretty gratifying.

I'm not saying the game's bad....

#8 7 years ago

Ah, I always wanted the game to have an extra eject
on the left side, on top of the 3bank. You would have
to shoot the spinner to lock the ball. The left side does
have wasted real-estate when you think about it.
Maybe the center feature should have gone up and
down like the Zaccaria game Time Machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-chat-embryon-with-a-nod-to-the-classic-bally-poll-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.