Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LexiLightspeed.jpg
    One Aisle at PinWiz.JPG
    2015-02-13-20-02-47--1565098055.jpeg

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 8 years ago

enough with the "these kids today with their video screens and rap music" posts.

#52 8 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

The only way pinball would be saved is if Nikki Minaj or Flo Rida made a song about hoes and popping bottles over expensive pins at the club, then clubs would start having them and operators would be back in action for a few months, then it wouldn't be cool anymore because Wiz Khalifa would come out with a song making fun of them. That's the rap game.

Insightful post on pop culture and the politics of youth. And correct! I predict this pinball-related video will launch a resurgence amongst the young folks! With their hippin' and hoppin' and hoes and word to their mothers!

Dr. Dude in da club wut wut!

#53 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

the world isn't going to go back to a time when pinball machines were normal sights in every laundromat and pizza parlor, and kids are not going to be dumping quarters at arcades in droves ever again. but pinball is going to hang on and grow if it finds a new slot in our society to fit into, and it appears to be doing so. competitive pinball and home pinball hobbyists are both way bigger deals than ever before.

Totally. New growth is being driven by barcades, leagues, tournaments, and hobbyists (or, "a friend who owns pinball machines").

#54 8 years ago
    Quoted from jungle:

Of the 1000 WOZ le new machines did 50-100 go to operators ? I don't think so but I could be wrong. I hope I am wrong.
    I am talking about the future. Not now or the past. So yes in recent years pinball has not been in D&B type venues. No way did pinball 2000 have the wow factor of the hobbit. The latter has large HD screen separate from the purely pinball playfield. And most importantly it didn't have pindemption animations. These new JJP machines will be in the kiddies arcades soon. Not whole rows of them but it would be a comeback.

Idk how many WOZs are on location. I operate one and have played/seen another 4 in NJ and NC. I heard that NY has a few.
    I don't think that WOZ is a good example to use as they are rather expensive (unless you got in on it early) and potentially took years to receive.
    I would guess certainly more than 50 WOZs on location.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from Newsom:

I would guess certainly more than 50 WOZs on location.

The "Pin Map" has 108 on-location vs. 552 private collections. About 5 in collections per every 1 on location. Who knows how accurate that ratio is given the self-reporting nature of the pinside data.

#56 8 years ago

To be honest...... i grew up in the 80s when video arcades and atari 2600 were the rage. Where i lived at the time, there were no location pinballs. When i would run across pinball, they were slow and boring. I assume they were EM games.

Fast forward....i was a highly competitive Super Chexx/Bud Light Bubble Boys competitor in the early 2000s. Loved the hand eye coordination. Have a HUO super chexx at home. Then, picked up three namco tribute arcades in cabaret size for arcade nostalga. Then ran across pinball and figured adding one to the game room would be a nice little colletion with variety.

Road Kings was my first game in 2013. I fell in love with the hand eye coordination aspect of the play. Now i am a big pinball fan and looking to add more to the game room.

So.....it is possible for new people to find an interest in the hobby. Just gotta get one in front of them.

4 months later
    #57 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinworthy:

I would say that pinball machines in homes are more prevalent now then in the past but overall pinball machines on location are FAR fewer than the 70's. I used to be able to play at almost any convenience store, in restaurants ... any business with extra space had one or two. In a renaissance? Maybe but certainly not what I would call a peak of activity.

I agree, I think we all miss those days

#58 8 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Healthy now?? With a fleet of sinking ships and everyone's gold aboard, it's hardly a healthy time.

The whole world is currently in a bad way (could be heading for another major world war?). With a wonderful hobby like Pinball, we can shut ourselves out from the horrors of today's un-ravelling world and "escape" into a more sane hobby(from a more sane time- period like the 1950's) which not only keep us fit and also is good for our mental wellbeing. David Stein (Professor Pin) has posted in the past he promotes the pinball hobby to today's youth at expos etc. I think good sales guys, like "professor pin" will help keep this hobby alive, their are many health benefits in playing pinball as we pinsiders all know.

#59 8 years ago

I think that is the key word here. Pinball machines are no longer designed to pull strangers in on route and take in endless amounts of quarters like they used to. When that happened pinball as it was known did actually die. What it is now mostly is a hobby for those that can afford it. There is not much fresh going on in pinball and many of the recent themes that the hobbyists are after prove that. Sure there are new people coming in, but just as many old ones going out. Pinball is now pretty much just a high priced glorified home arcade game.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-be-honest/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.