(Topic ID: 86136)

Lets all agree on a show to meet at in 2015.

By Rat_Tomago

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which 2015 Pinball show should the EM guys meet up at.”

• Pin-A-Go-Go (Northern California) 7 votes
      15%
    • Pacific Show (forgot name) (Seattle Washington) 4 votes
      9%
    • Texas Pinball Festival (Dallas, Texas) 11 votes
      24%
    • Allentown show 6 votes
      13%
    • Yorktown show 0 votes
    • Ohio show 3 votes
      7%
    • Louisville, Kentucky show 2 votes
      4%
    • Chicago show 5 votes
      11%
    • Other (When you vote other...list it in a post) 8 votes
      17%

(46 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-603.jpeg
    citymap_dallas_tx.gif
    th-2-89.jpeg
    th-1-798.jpeg

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Like the topic says...Lets all meet at a show in 2015. Wouldn't it be great if we could take up a big section of one of the shows with nothing but our EM machines? Are you sick of going to a show and playing some lower than average 200 dollar Craig's List EM that someone pulled out of storage, set up and didn't even wax. Not to mention it doesn't score right and ends up getting turned off most of the show. (Most of the time this is done just so they can get a friend in last minute.) Would you like to show off your prized treasured EM or multiple EMs? Perhaps you want to fly in and meet the EM guys from pinside? Well lets make this happen! here is a list of some of the choices of shows we could do this at.

Pin-A-Go-Go (Central California)
    Texas Pinball Festival (Dallas, Texas)
    Yorktown show
    Allentown, PA show
    Pacific NW show (forgot the name) Seattle, Washington
    Chicago Show (October)
    Ohio Show
    Louisville, KY Show.

I am sure I am missing a show or two.

(Edit) If someone wants to and feel like organizing an EM only show...Let me know...(More power to them if they can pull this off)

#2 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Texas Pinball Festival (Dallas, Texas)

Yep, I'll be there. Not sure what pin I will bring but it will be one for sale, and yes it will be 100% working and fully shopped. See all you EM folks in 2015! Yahoo!

Ken

#3 9 years ago

I need to get out of the Army. I am always in the field or deployed when these shows occur. My job is getting in the way of my addiction.

#4 9 years ago

Am I dreaming big? Well maybe so. My choice is Texas Pinball Festival. The reason is not because I live 5 miles down the road from it. It is not because I am biased. I could live in Maine, California, Florida or Washington state and would want to make it at this venue. I will list my reasons....

*The show is virtually smack dab in the middle of the country. 1500 miles from Florida, California, midwest states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.

*The show has 45,000 sq ft of space

*The show is in a family friendly

*The show is parking friendly (Free and covered from weather)

*The loading in and out of this venue is incredible. Hard to explain but there are loading and unloading zones along the street behind the back door of the venue.

*There is a huge and I mean HUGE shopping mall across the street (walking distance) to keep your spouse entertained.

*There are enough places to eat in walking distance to make your head spin and your gut full.

*Flights are plenty and CHEAP

*Hotels rooms galore and CHEAP

*Big, HUGE swap meet that is extremely well organized. Bring a project or two to offset the cost of driving here with a game or two. Games sell for more here in Texas (just my opinion) because of the high demand and low amounts of games for sale.

*Last but not least....Texas Pinball Festival is EXTREMELY well organized.

I am sure I could edit this and add more positives as people chime in.

I am open to any and all constructive opinions. Lets make this happen in 2015!

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

(Edit) If someone wants to and feel like organizing an EM only show...Let me know...(More power to them if they can pull this off)

That will be a one day show at our new home as a private party with just my pins.

Members Only! If you want to become a member let me know.

So far the locals Dan, Jeff, and Jason are on the list (you know who you are).

Ken

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

That will be a one day show at our new home as a private party with just my pins.
    Members Only! If you want to become a member let me know.
    So far the locals Dan, Jeff, and Jason are on the list (you know who you are).
    Ken

Ken if you need help I would personally fly to San Antonio and help you load and unload pins to TPF. I can fly for free (standby) because my wife is a flight attendant.

#7 9 years ago

pinburgh... pinbuuuurgghhhhh

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Ken if you need help I would personally fly to San Antonio and help you load and unload pins to TPF. I can fly for free (standby) because my wife is a flight attendant.

Way Cool and I will let you know Dan.

My little ranger only holds 1 pin so I'm sure I will be fine.

When we have the party you and the wife can fly down and spend the night as well in our spare bedroom so there's none of that leaving the party early crap.

Ken

#9 9 years ago

in keeping with my enthusiasm for the location when this came up in the other thread...

i'd vote to pick a weekend and go to vegas... go over and irritate the hell out of tim for a few hours at phof to satisfy the pinball jones... then drink, eat and gamble...

#10 9 years ago

Sadly, we use to have the Pacific Pinball Expo in Nor Cal. That was the Premier show for EMs, at least in the early years. In later shows, some of the EMs became a bit tired (spend their days locked up in dark store rooms) or replaced with more and more SS pins. Still, there were plenty to play, many rarely seen in public.

For 2014, there is still time for Pin-A-Go-Go! I hear it has a pretty good showing of EMs as there are some local collectors that help out. I would dearly like to attend this year but don't know if I can make it happen. http://pinagogo.org/

As well as The Northwest Pinball show: http://www.nwpinballshow.com/ . I am told by someone from out of the country that normally attends shows here in the US, that this, by his opinion, has become one of the best shows in the country. Not sure how well EMs are represented but I am told there are a few collectors up there with fine collections and not shy about showing them off. And Happily, I will be attending for my first time.

Although he has said he would lose his marriage over another one, perhaps you can convince Herb Silvers to put on another So Cal show in the future. Then, there are plenty of us here with EMs to add to the mix.

#11 9 years ago

as far as an actual existing show, my vote would go to "whichever one is in the biggest city"... with the show held close to the "dining/entertainment" district, and in a nice setting...

i enjoy pinball... but to get me to travel somewhere for it, i'd need something else to sweeten the pot, so to speak...

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

i'd vote to pick a weekend and go to vegas... go over and irritate the hell out of tim for a few hours at phof to satisfy the pinball jones... then drink, eat and gamble...

Then we could go here..
    th-1-798.jpegth-1-798.jpeg

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Then we could go here..

th-1-798.jpeg 14 KB

once more, you read my mind...

#14 9 years ago

I haven't talked to Herb Silvers in 13-14 years. He wouldn't remember me from Adam. If someone can get Herb to help out I would show up to a Southern California show in a heart beat. I like Pin-A-Go-Go. I haven't attended since 1998. I dunno about May of 2014 being that it is 60 days away. I was shooting for something in 2015 so we have 12-18 months out to plan for it and no one would have an excuse about money or other B.S. excuses.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

as far as an actual existing show, my vote would go to "whichever one is in the biggest city"... with the show held close to the "dining/entertainment" district, and in a nice setting...
    i enjoy pinball... but to get me to travel somewhere for it, i'd need something else to sweeten the pot, so to speak...

Chris...Dallas / Fort Worth is the 4th or 5th largest city in the US. "Frisco" is a large fancy northern suburb of Dallas Texas. TPF is 20 minutes driving from DFW airport. Like any large city there is plenty of "adult" activities along with family friendly options.

http://www.texaspinball.com/

http://www.roomstays.com/hotel/362804
    ^^^Hotel site of the venue

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I was shooting for something in 2015 so we have 12-18 months out to plan for it and no one would have an excuse about money or other B.S. excuses.

Would So Cal sliding into the ocean be a good enough excuse?

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

in keeping with my enthusiasm for the location when this came up in the other thread...

Chris, if we can't make a show happen then a big "meetup" in Las Vegas would be in order.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Chris, if we can't make a show happen then a big "meetup" in Las Vegas would be in order.

Bring your Point Adjusters, needle files, Wildcat 125 and Shop Rags and we will all converge on Tim and Demand the keys for the weekend. Maybe he can even take some time off with enough of us there to cover for him?

There has actually been talk between Herb and Tim about doing something BIG at the PHOF. Not sure how serious either of them was about it...........

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Bring your Point Adjusters, needle files, Wildcat 125 and Shop Rags and we will all converge on Tim and Demand the keys for the weekend. Maybe he can even take some time off with enough of us there to cover for him?
    There has actually been talk between Herb and Tim about doing something BIG at the PHOF. Not sure how serious either of them was about it...........

I like your idea. I just perused the pin-a-go-go site and looked at pictures from the 2012 show. I was impressed. Impressed enough that I may scramble to save money to attend this years show. I will have to fly into Sacramento ( I hate Sacramento) and attend the show. Hopefully the rooms are cheap enough in the area. Or I could fly into John Wayne airport and road trip it with Odin. Whaddya say Odin?

But yeah lets try to plan on the Vegas thing sometime in the next 3-5 months along with one of the big shows in 2015.

#20 9 years ago

If you are going to travel to meet somewhere it should be Florida when it's cold up north! The shows down here are growing like crazy. APE was awesome in 2014 and FPF will be in a 20,000 square foot venue next year.

http://floridaape.org/

http://www.freeplayflorida.com/

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

If you are going to travel to meet somewhere it should be Florida when it's cold up north! The shows down here are growing like crazy. APE was awesome in 2014 and FPF will be in a 20,000 square foot venue next year.
    http://floridaape.org/
    http://www.freeplayflorida.com/

No offense intended but based on the 120 pins currently listed for 2014 APE I only count 14 EMs plus or minus a few which may or may not be EM vs SS (assuming Atlantis is the Bally based on what's around it). It would take more than that to get me to fly all the way across the country and have to deal with bugs-o-plenty. Certainly a killer list for people liking the Classic SS games and living back East.

#22 9 years ago

I choose Vegas as well but ill pick Spearmint Rhino over Crazy horse any day.

My second choice is TPF of course

--Jeff

#23 9 years ago

The idea is to have it in the middle of the country. If you put it on one side of the country or the other people aren't going to come. If I lived in California it would be hard to justify a 5-6 hour flight to east coast or Florida. Texas is a 2.5 hour flight from either coast and cheap as hell to fly to because there are two airports and is a major hub for American and SouthWest Airlines. 1400 miles from LA - TX driving is 22 hours in a car one way. It is good for the driver that doesn't care. (I can do it all in one setting) But this is not about Me or I this is about US as a group.

#24 9 years ago

I believe they have dancing girls in Georgia too.

#25 9 years ago

Las Vegas has its advantages. Low cost flights. Lots of Convention space. Lots to look at.
    The only bad thing is that, once Tim finds out that Pinsiders will be in Las Vegas, he might close for the week end.

#26 9 years ago

Viva Las Vegas!
    th-2-89.jpegth-2-89.jpeg

#27 9 years ago

If we did Vegas it would be a meetup at PHoF. Unless Herb and Tim or someone else decided to organize a pinball show.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

If we did Vegas it would be a meetup at Palomino.

Works for me!

#29 9 years ago

When is the Dallas show?

I may be able to wrangle a trip to Lockheed Fort Worth the week before of after and then hit the show and meet up.

Plenty of great barbecue places where we can all hang at for a few beers and brisket.

#30 9 years ago

LOL @ Palomino. Odin wants to meetup at the Bunny Ranch.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

LOL @ Palomino. Odin wants to meetup at the Bunny Ranch.

I need to get my meetup somewhere.

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from fflint_18:

When is the Dallas show?
    I may be able to wrangle a trip to Lockheed Fort Worth the week before of after and then hit the show and meet up.
    Plenty of great barbecue places where we can all hang at for a few beers and brisket.

Last weekend of March. March 27,28 and 29th of 2015

http://www.texaspinball.com/

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I need to get my meetup somewhere.

Maybe they will have a blue plate special for you. Maybe have a special bogo price for the ugly ones.

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Maybe have a special bogo price for the ugly ones.

Only nice looking EM classics.

#35 9 years ago

They even have a "swap" meet. Get it?

Dah duht dum. *crash*

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I believe they have dancing girls in Georgia too.

Dallas has some of the higher mileage for the price clubs in the country. Your $20 dance goes quite a bit further here, if you know what I mean

#37 9 years ago

I like the idea of a bunch of us meeting up- and the fact that we are talking 2015 gives plenty of time to make travel arrangements- I'm in for wherever it ends up-

The Chicago show is closest to me, so I'm a bit biased- but given plenty of heads up I can arrange wherever the consensus lands on for a Pinside meet-up.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Am I dreaming big? Well maybe so. My choice is Texas Pinball Festival. The reason is not because I live 5 miles down the road from it. It is not because I am biased. I could live in Maine, California, Florida or Washington state and would want to make it at this venue. I will list my reasons....
    *The show is virtually smack dab in the middle of the country. 1500 miles from Florida, California, midwest states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.
    *The show has 45,000 sq ft of space
    *The show is in a family friendly
    *The show is parking friendly (Free and covered from weather)
    *The loading in and out of this venue is incredible. Hard to explain but there are loading and unloading zones along the street behind the back door of the venue.
    *There is a huge and I mean HUGE shopping mall across the street (walking distance) to keep your spouse entertained.
    *There are enough places to eat in walking distance to make your head spin and your gut full.
    *Flights are plenty and CHEAP
    *Hotels rooms galore and CHEAP
    *Big, HUGE swap meet that is extremely well organized. Bring a project or two to offset the cost of driving here with a game or two. Games sell for more here in Texas (just my opinion) because of the high demand and low amounts of games for sale.
    *Last but not least....Texas Pinball Festival is EXTREMELY well organized.
    I am sure I could edit this and add more positives as people chime in.
    I am open to any and all constructive opinions. Lets make this happen in 2015!

Yeah, but it's in Texas!

Actually, I've wanted to check out the TPF, meet Bob Herbison, and play some of his woodrails. Looks like he didn't have any at this year's show though. I typically bring EM games to the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show near me in Seattle, but Texas is a long way to haul games.

- Tim

#39 9 years ago

Dan posted a pic of Bob with a couple nice looking wood rails in this thread.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-found-an-em-friend-at-tpf

#40 9 years ago

I just added a poll to this thread.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yeah, but it's in Texas!
    Actually, I've wanted to check out the TPF, meet Bob Herbison, and play some of his woodrails. Looks like he didn't have any at this year's show though. I typically bring EM games to the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show near me in Seattle, but Texas is a long way to haul games.
    - Tim

I totally understand your feelings. It is expensive and it sucks to haul games outside your area. At the same time I have offered up a whole entire year to plan out finances to wherever we decide. If each person in the EM forum brought just 1 game to whatever show we decided that would be about 40 extra games that would not be there otherwise. So that being said...if we ended up in your neck of the woods then I would drive the 2 days with my best EM machine for everyone to play.

On a side note....there is tons to do in Texas. There is tons of civilization. We are not in some hicktown off of some two lane country road with nothing but 1 Dairy Queen and a flashing red light. Here are some facts about Frisco, Texas via Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisco,_Texas

#42 9 years ago

Here is a map of DFW....Frisco is the North and center on the map.

citymap_dallas_tx.gifcitymap_dallas_tx.gif
    #43 9 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Dan posted a pic of Bob with a couple nice looking wood rails in this thread.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-found-an-em-friend-at-tpf

Thanks Alex - great to see! I know that Bob has usually brought woodrails to the TPF show in the past, but I didn't see anything regarding him or his games in Pinball News' coverage of the show or final game list.

- Tim

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I totally understand your feelings. It is expensive and it sucks to haul games outside your area. At the same time I have offered up a whole entire year to plan out finances to wherever we decide. If each person in the EM forum brought just 1 game to whatever show we decided that would be about 40 extra games that would not be there otherwise. So that being said...if we ended up in your neck of the woods then I would drive the 2 days with my best EM machine for everyone to play.
    On a side note....there is tons to do in Texas. There is tons of civilization. We are not in some hicktown off of some two lane country road with nothing but 1 Dairy Queen and a flashing red light. Here are some facts about Frisco, Texas via Wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frisco,_Texas

Among other things, it would be cool to bring the Williams King Pin that I bought from Ken "EM-Pinman" to the show and give him a chance to play it! I just have to restore it first. So many projects - so little time.

- Tim

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Among other things, it would be cool to bring the Williams King Pin that I bought from Ken "EM-Pinman" to the show and give him a chance to play it! I just have to restore it first. So many projects - so little time.

- Tim

Hey Tim!

I was wondering how far along you got with that King Pin.
    It would be fun to play a fully restored one. Great Game!

If you still have and ever think about selling your Lucky Strike down the road I would be interested.

I will be at TPF 2015 if you ever want to meet up and have a cold one on me.

Ken

#46 9 years ago

The way to get our pins there is to find someone that we can borrow a nice enclosed car trailer (preferably a 32 ft or so one) and a 4 door gas/diesel truck.

1500 miles from Philly.

22 hrs.

4 of us take turns and drive straight thru.

Charge anybody else that wants to transport their pins a few bucks to help finance the trip.

Crazy. Maybe.

#47 9 years ago

^^^

NOT my idea of "fun"... don't even get any ideas about talking me into it...

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

^^^
    NOT my idea of "fun"... don't even get any ideas about talking me into it...

Exactly! 10 hours to Northern Cal., 4ish hours East to Vegas, or 7 or so Hours to AZ is about my driving limit for a pinball show. Otherwise, my A$$ will be sitting on a SW or Jet Blue airplane seat. Yes, I am a cheap Bastard!

#49 9 years ago

I didn't say I was driving.

And I'm a cheap engineer.

I'm getting work to send me for some reason.

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Exactly! 10 hours to Northern Cal., 4ish hours East to Vegas, or 7 or so Hours to AZ is about my driving limit for a pinball show. Otherwise, my A$$ will be sitting on a SW or Jet Blue airplane seat. Yes, I am a cheap Bastard!

If something east of Arizona is decided you will still fly to say Texas, Pennsylvania or Kentucky to meet us right?

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-all-agree-on-a-show-to-meet-at-in-2015 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.