Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Kidkaos
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

This is a little project I started a few months ago. Started poking around the sound ROMs and discovered how easy it is to customize voices, sound effects, and musical instruments. I'm finally finished with it! The main goal was to improve the voices (and mute some well-known annoying ones) and improve some sound effects and the music to make everything sound less synthesized and more realistic.

The funny thing is as much as Brian Schmidt advertised the BSMT 2000 sound system to be superior to all other offerings, a lot of sound effects and instruments were still synthesized. I was surprised to find out that these were actual sound samples stored in the ROMs rather than synthesized sounds produced in real time. That was a big missed opportunity as Williams was still using fully synthesized music at the time. For example, the opening guitar riff in the C&C MF background music.

Because this is a custom ROM mod I have no idea if it will actually work in real machines. The game (or at least the sound board) may refuse to boot due to a checksum error. But I don't know if the DSP checks the sound ROMs on startup. I'm guessing it doesn't given the very fast startup time. List of changes is below including a demo video and download link.

I'm impressed -> Hey, that's good work
Here comes trouble -> I'm Chaos, he's Mayhem
You blew it -> Wait!
They got away -> Phooey!
I got a bad reputation -> Gunfights, explosions, sharks...
He's getting away! -> Grab the cat!
You have no authority -> That's not what I'm thinkin'
What Leo wants -> I owe this guy one
Leo Getz -> Gimme something to do
Ho -> Moo
Police officer! -> Will ya shut up?
Get the bad guy! -> Drill him! Get outta the way!
Loaded -> Step aside
Nice shooting -> Have a nice day
We're back in action -> Don't eat the tuna

Removed:
Ok, ok, ok
Hey Moe!

To apply the changes to your u17 (lw3u17.dat) and u21 (lw3u21.dat) sound ROMs run the program included in the zip file and apply the ppf patch files to each original ROM file respectively (load the ROMs in place of "ISO" in the program, you will need to view all file types to make them visible). The version I used is 2.08 but I don't think the sounds were updated between code revisions anyway.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1zklec46gehu5yb

#2 11 years ago

nice work my friend!

Now who wants to burn some roms for me?

#3 11 years ago

Any way to change the C&C Music Factory to something else?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Any way to change the C&C Music Factory to something else?

Not that I know of, unless you found a way to decode the binary music data in U7 into something usable like Impulse Tracker or MIDI files.

#5 11 years ago

This is awesome!! Just need to find someone to burn roms for me.

#6 11 years ago

This rocks! strong work!

#7 11 years ago

Cool! Except I liked "Hey Moe!", as well as my daughter because she loves the stooges.
I would still want one if someone's going to burn these.

#8 11 years ago

Anyone know part numbers for the rom chips and/or where to buy them?

I have a friend willing to do it. I'll see what I can do about getting him to burn some extra ones.

#9 11 years ago

The 27256 256k chip is what you want for both ROMs, you can get them for $4 at Pinball Medic.

http://www.pinballmedic.net/game_rom.html

#10 11 years ago

Hate to tell at but I love hearing Joe Pesci saying ok ok ok ok. It just cracks me up.

#11 11 years ago

Has anyone tested these in a machine ? i applied the patch and have the images.

Post edited by Astill : author didnt want to have these sold

#12 11 years ago

This is a small project done in my own time man, don't sell these just so you can make a profit. And guys, like I said I'm not even sure this will work in an actual game so don't stock up on blanks to give to friends or whatever. Run a couple of test cases first. And it it does work I'd like to see a video!

#13 11 years ago

Anyone tried this in a real game yet?

1 week later
#14 10 years ago

Bump. Johnnyo any luck burning the ROMs?

4 months later
#15 10 years ago

Hi guys, I know this is an old post and related to another game but I couldn't believe my luck seeing this post as its exactly what I was looking for.
I have the Back to the Future pin and it really bugs me that Marty McFlys voice is not MJ Fox but someone else seeing MJ Fox didn't want his likeness or voice used in the game. I would really like to swap out the fake Marty voice sounds with ones taken from the movie if such a thing is possible??
I can get all the sounds and save them into what format is needed and will follow this through to burning roms and testing 100% so we can see if this works. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mat

#16 10 years ago

Sounds interesting, I'll have to get a list of what's in the ROMs to begin with. Start putting together the sound you would like replaced. Any sounds I replace cannot be longer than the originals, but I can insert shorter ones. You can burn ROMs and test this correct? Can you start by burning the my LW3 ROMS and posting a video? I really don't have a way to show this running on an actual game.

#17 10 years ago

Well the only Marty quote I found is "Where?", which comes before "Back to the future!" Are there any others that are less obvious? I mean it sounds fine, would seem pointless to do all this just for one quote.

#18 10 years ago

Hi,
I'll go over the game again as this has been on the cards for a few years and its taken me this long to track down what needed to be done (correct wording etc used to make searches give results).
I'd need to get someone to burn the ROMS for me. I see there is a person on Ebay offering this service. Provided I could get them the files (?) needed then they supply chips, burn them and I test it. I'm a complete newbie so please excuse my ignorance and not understanding how all this works or what the lingo is. Can you advise what a LW3 ROM is? I a bit lost with this question.

#19 10 years ago

I can burn roms, but only have a JP to experiment with. Any interest in changing the JP sound rom? Maybe get rid "go, go, go, go, go!" I'd have to erase and reburn my existing chip, but I'm willing to.

I think it could be fun to swap out soundbites. Can you share the method for doing this?

Jim

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I can burn roms, but only have a JP to experiment with. Any interest in changing the JP sound rom? Maybe get rid "go, go, go, go, go!" I'd have to erase and reburn my existing chip, but I'm willing to.
I think it could be fun to swap out soundbites. Can you share the method for doing this?
Jim

All you need is Audacity and some basic knowledge of the PCM audio format, VOX ADPCM, and ROM offsets. You will need to teach yourself to work with raw audio snippets either in PCM or VOX format. Not difficult and the method is archaic but it can sound complex at first. If you're curious check out these links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/89879

#21 10 years ago

I am going to burn and try the new ROMs in the next few days. I had to order the roms for it. I'll let you know how they work.

#22 10 years ago

Please post a gameplay video if you can!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

All you need is Audacity and some basic knowledge of the PCM audio format, VOX ADPCM, and ROM offsets. You will need to teach yourself to work with raw audio snippets either in PCM or VOX format. Not difficult and the method is archaic but it can sound complex at first. If you're curious check out these links:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/89879
» YouTube video

Awesome! I was surprised to see how easily the sound rom can be imported into Audacity! I'm going to have to experiment with the playback rate, but I definitely got it to where I can recognize all of the soundbites.

#24 10 years ago

Just use "import raw" and select 8-bit signed PCM with no endianness. Most are recorded at 8kHz (phone line quality) but some use 11,050Hz or even higher. If you come across some that sound like static try VOX ADPCM. If it still sounds like crap then it's Brian Schmidt's propriety ADPCM format which has not been reverse engineered that I know of. Most bites are padded by several blank (low) samples, this makes identification easy.

#25 10 years ago

Thanks, Crash!

I can confirm that it's possible to play JP with a modified sound rom. I have an issue with it, though and it may be the way I saved the file back out.

I may be going about it the wrong way, but I read in the entire U17 rom file as Raw, 8-bit signed, no endianness, Start offset 0, Amount to Import 100%, 8000 HZ. This gives me the entire rom on one timeline. I then go in and replace or silence sounds, making sure not to move anything left or right.

To save out, I choose Export, Other Uncompressed Files and select Options. On this menu I chose Header: Raw (header-less), Encoding: Signed 8-bit PCM. This results in a file of the same size.

I burn the new file to the chip and install it. When playing the game and it gets to a sound from this chip, it seems to start with a high pitched squeal even on some that I didn't touch, and quietly plays the sounds I swapped in (though that may be because some weren't equalized to match the existing sounds).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

#26 10 years ago

Thanks for the boot confirmation! Forgot to mention that you cannot edit straight in Audacity. Because Audacity interprets every byte as a sample, bytes you did not even select will change, corrupting the ROM. You use Audacity to find your offsets and convert formats. You actually need to inject a sample block (sound byte) at the offset that Audacity specifies and be absolutely sure that the ROM size does not change. To get offsets in Audacity change the view to samples. There will be a combo box near the position indicator at the bottom of the window. And since this is simple ancient 8-bit audio, each sample is 1 byte long (not 2 like it commonly is today). So you can just say "I have 19,546 samples selected, so I have 19,546 bytes to swap out here."

I use HxD to swap out blocks. Save your sound bytes in raw 8-bit PCM headerless format, then open that file with HxD. Select and copy the entire file making note of the size in hex. Convert that to decimal using Calculator in scientific mode. If it matches the length of your selection you made in Audacity, then you're good to go. Press Ctrl+E in HxD and plug in your offset and length in bytes. Once you have selected your block then paste in the block you copied from your raw PCM file. Be sure the selection size at the bottom does not change when you do this. Then save and you should be ok.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Thanks for the boot confirmation! Forgot to mention that you cannot edit straight in Audacity. Because Audacity interprets every byte as a sample, bytes you did not even select will change, corrupting the ROM. You use Audacity to find your offsets and convert formats. You actually need to inject a sample block (sound byte) at the offset that Audacity specifies and be absolutely sure that the ROM size does not change. To get offsets in Audacity change the view to samples. There will be a combo box near the position indicator at the bottom of the window. And since this is simple ancient 8-bit audio, each sample is 1 byte long (not 2 like it commonly is today). So you can just say "I have 19,546 samples selected, so I have 19,546 bytes to swap out here."
I use HxD to swap out blocks. Save your sound bytes in raw 8-bit PCM headerless format, then open that file with HxD. Select and copy the entire file making note of the size in hex. Convert that to decimal using Calculator in scientific mode. If it matches the length of your selection you made in Audacity, then you're good to go. Press Ctrl+E in HxD and plug in your offset and length in bytes. Once you have selected your block then paste in the block you copied from your raw PCM file. Be sure the selection size at the bottom does not change when you do this. Then save and you should be ok.

Yeah, I did a test with Audacity by importing the rom and exporting it with no changes, and noticed that the file was different using a file comparison program, even though the file was the same size.

When you're saving out new soundbites, is that done from Audacity? I'm kind of curious if Audacity can export the single soundbite that you would inject into the ROM, and that's playable from the game, then why wouldn't the export of the entire ROM be playable? I mean, it is playable, but I notice distortion. If I use your method, aren't I likely to experience distortion in my inserted soundbites?

Oh, and is there any chance these are stereo sounds? I noticed I can import the sound as stereo with 4000Hz.

Thanks,
Jim

#28 10 years ago

Using your method to at least figure out the offsets I was able to clear out the "go, go, go, go, go!" soundbite from the romfile using the hex editor and confirmed that the game works fine without the annoying callout.

I also noticed that when I installed the chip the first time after making that change that a couple pins got bent in. I didn't realize it until I took it out again, but when I booted with the bent pins, it still played sounds, just super distorted, so I don't know whether or not my original distorted tests were because of a bent/bad pin or because of the changes Audacity made to the data.

I may run some more tests tomorrow, but my rom chip might be on it's last legs (literally!) as I've been having some issues with my burner being able to write to it. I've got some chips on order.

Thanks,
Jim

#29 10 years ago

Again the reason why editing straight in Audacity doesn't work is because every byte in the file, whether it be part of the header, a pointer to a sound, or a sample, will be changed. You are feeding in binary data and interpreting it as sound. The same limitations sound data has, such as precision and range, are applied to data in the entire ROM, thus corrupting it. The same thing happens when you open a binary file in Notepad and save it, bytes Notepad does not recognize will be replaced by square characters.

#30 10 years ago

Oh, so there's more than just sound data in these roms? That would make sense. I was assuming we were just dealing with one long track and the game accessed which parts it needs. Thanks!

#31 10 years ago

No it's more than just sound data, there is a header at the beginning and some sounds have some header/pointer data before the actual sound data.

#32 10 years ago

Update... Just got done burning the ROMs and they work on the actual machine. No errors or anything like that. But I will say I cannot understand what is being said on most of the new sounds. They are very muffled. Not sure what would cause this? I'll take a cell phone video later.

Is there anyway to improve the music more? Its currently an improvement but was wondering if it could be better.

Thanks for all the work, this is a great start!

#33 10 years ago

Not much room for improvement on the musical instruments, there may be one or two things I missed, I'm not sure. I changed more than you might realize, the original synthesized instruments were close to real samples, but still off. It was just bugging me to know that although these are actual sampled instruments, it still unneeddlessly sounded synthesized.

As for the muffled sounds, unless the bass on your machine has been upgraded, I can tweak those to reduce the low frequencies. I can't increase the fidelity obviously.

#34 10 years ago

I agree on the synthesized instruments. Zz top really suffers more from this than the other two. The other two are an improvement.

#35 10 years ago

No I still have the original data east speakers. Its not all the sounds but most. The shut up and the hey that's goodwork call outs are very clear, but most of the others I can't even make out what's being said. I took a video and tried to capture this. Didn't really work too good. Ill try again.

#37 10 years ago

I tried to show the muffled audio when testing rom1. Not sure if you can hear it or not.

#39 10 years ago

Long play. Excuse all the camera shaking.

#40 10 years ago

The only one I see issues understanding is, "Grab the cat!" I'll end up replacing that with something better, including replacing a few more sound effects like the synthesized punch sound. Any other suggestions? Should I mute "It's a (something) community..." By Murtaugh? Unfortunately I can't replace it because it is encoded using a custom ADPCM format. Thanks for the video, I had a small hiccup with one of the songs in an emulator but it seems to play just fine on the original hardware.

#41 10 years ago

I agree on grab the cat. What is the saying thats whispered? It usually plays for the Murtaugh retirement.

#42 10 years ago

"That's not what I'm thinkin'" from the bomb scene. Mainly intended for if you press start with no credits.

1 month later
#43 10 years ago

I just traded for a LW3 yesterday and would be interested in trying out these custom sounds. Is anyone able to burn a set for me?

Thanks.

#44 10 years ago

..edited double post from ipad.

3 months later
#45 10 years ago

I picked up a LW3 about three weeks ago.... Ive been shopping it and im already bored with the sounds. I would love to know how to do this!!!! Any suggestions? Anyone have the rom that i can have burned? Or at least point me in the direction to get started on this?

#46 10 years ago

I really need to finally wrap this up... Look at the first post, it explains how you can apply the patches to your ROMs.

11 months later
#48 9 years ago

That sounds awesome, great work!

5 months later
#49 8 years ago

Can someone add all of Mel's racist rants in game? Especially when he hopes for force by a pack of slurs. That's my favorite.

3 months later
#50 8 years ago

Can anyone else confirm any issues when playing the "Have a nice day" callout when draining via an outlane? Just take the glass off and trigger those a few times. The sound caused a high pitch tone to play (a bug) in Pondwater's video.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-sound-rom-update/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.