Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by RonB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi guys, my dad has a data east lw3 machine that he acquired and it played great for a long time. Then one fateful day it turned on and started but the solenoid would not kick the ball over for launch, we removed the glass and dropped a ball in and the machine played and scored but the kickouts and drop target resets were a no go. So presumably the problem would be something that is in line with all the solenoids. What do you all think is the problem, and how do i test to know for sure?

#2 11 years ago

You have lost power to those solenoids.

Check the fuses on the power board.

Power off, and pull at least one end of each fuse and check fro continuity with a meter.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Power_Supply

RussMyers

4 weeks later
#3 11 years ago

Ok I got over to my dads this weekend and setup LW4 and took a look at the power supply as per Russ's suggestion, I seem to be getting voltage across each fuse on that board, likewise all the fuses there look good. I played around with the game to see what works and what does not, it seems to be all the outhole solenoids only, the bumpers and flippes work fine. The launcher also works fine on startup (to eject any ball left it the launch position when the game was turned off) but the ball will not launch when a game has started, my guess is that the machine gets no signal that a ball has been kicked over to the launcher to launch. So the game is playable with glass off, and the outholes are scoring, just not kicking out. My dad did say that all these kickouts went down at once, so my question is does anyone have any idea where these are controlled from, the schematic just list "solenoids" in several places on the power board and such and I seemed to have checked all those places for power, but I wondered if there is a secondary driver somewhere that may have a fuse. All help is a appreciated, you guys are always geniuses.
thanks -Tommy

#4 11 years ago

hmmm, could it be the transistors driving those solenoids?
the would be something i'd check.

#5 11 years ago

May be connector cn11 on CPU board. Try reseating that connector and reflowing the header pins. I went down this road before( thanks LLoyd and Sean.)

#6 11 years ago

Did you also check the fuses on the ppb?

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Playfield_Power_Board_.28PPB-1.29

Also the Q1 transistor runs the ejects & drop targets, check to see if that's still good if no luck with the fuses. But if a fuse is blown, there's a reason and it may blow again after replacing it. So make sure there's no loose wires shorting out somewhere. Plus of course check the connections at the boards.

I've been doing extensive work on a LW3 myself and most problems I've tracked down to the boards, plus a loose wire here and there.

Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,800 (OBO)
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-solenoids-not-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.