View topic image gallery

LW3_transistor_Q4 (resized).jpg
LW3_transistor_Q4_3 (resized).jpg
LW3_transistor_Q4_2 (resized).jpg
LW3_transistor_Q4_1 (resized).jpg
LW3 shooter coil 3 (resized).jpg
LW3 shooter coil 2 (resized).jpg
LW3 shooter coil (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blantonwh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So, I have replaced the transistor, coil and resistors and it worked great for 2 days. Then all of a sudden when playing the launcher would not launch the ball any longer. I checked the coil through the DMD and coil test. It is not firing the coil. I checked the fuse and it is still good.

Any ideas on how to proceed with fixing this? What would cause the transistor to go out again if that is the problem?

Previous posts:

Was playing LW3 last night and the shooter coil was acting weird and pulsing out, then stayed out on the next ball kick out. Trigger didn't work and then the shooter coil starting smoking a lot and was very hot to touch after opening machine up.

Please help with where I should begin troubleshooting. Is it possible for the coil to just go out? Or possibly something downstream that came loose or blew that would cause the coil to overheat and burn up? I am handy with electrical and can read schematics but have limited pinball maintenance troubleshooting experience. I have a new coil AE 23-800 ready to be purchased but would like to know if I should order the entire kit or just the coil or how to pinpoint other items to replace.

I bought the machine with the duck tape on the diode/cable leads so not sure what the duck tape is for or just preventing shorting against something or breaking off.

All help will be greatly appreciated.

LW3 shooter coil (resized).jpgLW3 shooter coil (resized).jpgLW3 shooter coil 2 (resized).jpgLW3 shooter coil 2 (resized).jpgLW3 shooter coil 3 (resized).jpgLW3 shooter coil 3 (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

Okay, thanks to both as I just read what both have said in a few other posts. Thanks for directing to the actual ones for LW3. I have to download the manual for this game and keep it handy.

So, would you also change the diode as well at this time or leave the one currently in place?

Once I test the transistor/replace the transistor would I benefit by changing the entire coil kit or would I be wasting money? I can do either but would like to know from those that have done this before me.

Thanks very much.

#6 3 years ago

After a check of the boards today, I found Q4, Q5 and R16 looking rough. It looks like I need a new resistor and the transistor and possibly Q5. Would the excessive heat make Q4 stand up like that? Also, should I be prepared to look for blown fuses or other items in addition to these.

Thanks again for all the help

LW3_transistor_Q4 (resized).jpgLW3_transistor_Q4 (resized).jpgLW3_transistor_Q4_1 (resized).jpgLW3_transistor_Q4_1 (resized).jpgLW3_transistor_Q4_2 (resized).jpgLW3_transistor_Q4_2 (resized).jpgLW3_transistor_Q4_3 (resized).jpgLW3_transistor_Q4_3 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#8 3 years ago

Need additional troubleshooting help. I changed the transistor, resistor, coil and diode and the ball launcher is still not working.

What else should I look for and how to double check my work?

#9 3 years ago

I found a fuse blown and I have changed it and checked the voltage and voltage is present. I checked voltage at the coil but nothing was present at rest or when the ball launcher was pressed.

Any ideas on where to look next.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,800 (OBO)
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 18.95
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blantonwh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-shooter-coil-smoking?tu=blantonwh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.