IMG_20160531_102533124_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160531_102600234_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160531_102553237_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160531_102539518_(resized).jpg
lw3_building_rev3_(resized).jpg
lw3_explosion_building_(resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

Hello Folks,

Ive contacted Joe aka Toyotaboy on replacing the building that the VUK ramp is located. My opinion.... it just looks terrible. It could be much better. The bent stickered plastic is really starting to get to me. Attached is a pic of the current building and a pic from the movie that I guess its supposed to represent. Still in the discussion phase with this at the moment. Ideally it would be just a swap of the lighting to the new building from the previous.

I thought about doing something with the VUK ramp building when looking at Stern's GB. You can see a resemblance to the old data east style in the difference between the pro and premium builds of the library building. Pro is just a piece of stickered plastic, much like the old data easts, while the premium is 3D and more eye catching. ( Not hating....just an observation)

Basically I am looking for interest, thoughts and opinions on this.

$_1_(resized).JPG$_1_(resized).JPG

Florida_(resized).JPGFlorida_(resized).JPG

19918-ghostbusters-pro-pinball-playfield-detail_(resized).jpg19918-ghostbusters-pro-pinball-playfield-detail_(resized).jpg

19400-ghostbusters-stern-pinball-machine-playfield-library-3d-model_(resized).jpg19400-ghostbusters-stern-pinball-machine-playfield-library-3d-model_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

I'm definitely interested in this. I hate the way the building looks. It's not even straight, it has that weird lean to it. Please do this.

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Pondwater:

it just looks terrible. It could be much better

I'm remembering what you mean from when I owned it a couple years ago.. It has that exaggerated slant on the right, and that weird bend in front
lw3_building_original_(resized).jpglw3_building_original_(resized).jpg

Here's my first crack at it.. I have no dimensions to work off of so I'm estimating. Maybe the giant flasher cover should go away entirely and I can simply embed the "multiball ready" text into the building and it can light up?

lw3_3d_printed-building_rev1.0_(resized).pnglw3_3d_printed-building_rev1.0_(resized).png

#4 7 years ago

That's a great start. I'll have to measure it to see if the building needs to stop at the ramp or could have a roof structure over top of it.

1 week later
#5 7 years ago

Any updates?

#6 7 years ago

Looked at a few different ideas on it today. What about extending the building over the VUK ramp with a roof structure making it look more like a building? It would also hide that large open area behind it,more of the middle ramp, some of the left side of the subway (shown in the second pic). New building could also be taller as there is a lot of clearance to play with.

IMG_20160512_112624579_(resized).jpgIMG_20160512_112624579_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160512_112630019_(resized).jpgIMG_20160512_112630019_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

I got the scan, re-modeled it based on the profile. I still need some dimensions:

lw3_building_dimensions-abc_(resized).jpglw3_building_dimensions-abc_(resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago

Count me in as well!!

#9 7 years ago

Finally got free time to get the measurements. A the max is 6 3/4". B is 7" and C can range 4 1/2" to 6 1/2 ". Max height of 6 1/2" and still be able to have clearance for the glass.

#10 7 years ago

Need to model in the windows, but I've got the overall shape / size done

lw3_building_r2_(resized).jpglw3_building_r2_(resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago

Would it be possible to remove the flasher altogether? What about cutting out the windows, placing frosted plastic behind them and then back lighting them like the sides of WWF Royal rumble.

Thinking it would have a more of a burning building look for the multiball.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from Pondwater:

Would it be possible to remove the flasher altogether? What about cutting out the windows, placing frosted plastic behind them and then back lighting them like the sides of WWF Royal rumble

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Maybe the giant flasher cover should go away entirely and I can simply embed the "multiball ready" text into the building and it can light up?

This is exactly what I would rather do.. not unlike the iron man mod I did:

stark_logo_(resized).jpgstark_logo_(resized).jpg

LW3_stock-building_tri_ball-ready_(resized).jpgLW3_stock-building_tri_ball-ready_(resized).jpg
LW3_stock-building_flashing_(resized).jpgLW3_stock-building_flashing_(resized).jpg

TRI-BALL_READY_TEXT_(resized).jpgTRI-BALL_READY_TEXT_(resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

I'm assuming this is the exploding building this is supposed to be modeled after?
lw3_explosion_building_(resized).jpglw3_explosion_building_(resized).jpg

update (now with windows)

lw3_building_rev3_(resized).jpglw3_building_rev3_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#14 7 years ago

Ok folks got around to cutting and taping the pieces of the building together. Having a slight issue with the size when printing at the moment.

IMG_20160531_102539518_(resized).jpgIMG_20160531_102539518_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160531_102553237_(resized).jpgIMG_20160531_102553237_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160531_102600234_(resized).jpgIMG_20160531_102600234_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160531_102533124_(resized).jpgIMG_20160531_102533124_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#15 7 years ago

Was going to do a test print today now that I have the existing building to work from. Realized the model is larger than my printer bed can handle. I'm going to have to get creative and split this into pieces.

lw3_print_(resized).jpglw3_print_(resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

Did a test print, split it at the corner. Printed the left half vertically, printed the right half sitting face down. The left side is brittle so I'm going to print it like the right side. Going to print the mounting brackets separately so they're replaceable. Going to include the 4 bulb holders, but the buyer is going to have to transfer the wiring harness and lightboard.

I eliminated every other row of windows because I'm afraid there won't be enough strength, or room to mount things on the inside. Also rather than embed the "multiball ready" into the print, I'm going to print a separate sign with a transparent label so it looks like a lit sign.

lw3_building_test_(resized).jpglw3_building_test_(resized).jpg

#17 7 years ago

Looks pretty cool. I'll definitely be following this to see how it turns out

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm remembering what you mean from when I owned it a couple years ago.. It has that exaggerated slant on the right, and that weird bend in front

When I owned a LW3, I assumed the building was bent outwards is because it's in the process of blowing up.

#19 7 years ago

Nice work.

2 weeks later
#20 7 years ago

If this is still an open topic, I'd like to share my thoughts. I think it's a good project. I like the idea with the roof hiding the VUK ramp and as well the discrete "multi ball ready" light.
In my opinion LW3 is one of the pinballs that matches very well to LEDs. Though, why not making a PCB for the 3 lamps(Victory, looping and double jackpot) and hide them as well behind a window?

For the 2 flash lamps I used two LED strips with 3 LED each instead of the flasher bulbs and I just stuck them into the house. Works pretty well.
So if you redesign the house, why not get rid of all that ugly rivets and replace the bulbs?
Maybe you can also design in stable plastic holders instead of riveting the original brackets at the bottom?

2 weeks later
#21 7 years ago
Quoted from rollbrettfreund:

Though, why not making a PCB for the 3 lamps(Victory, looping and double jackpot) and hide them as well behind a window?

I'm not a pcb designer

For the 2 flash lamps I used two LED strips with 3 LED each instead of the flasher bulbs and I just stuck them into the house. Works pretty well

That's ok until the strip goes dead, or a user decides they want a different color. I'm sticking with sockets

why not get rid of all that ugly rivets and replace the bulbs?

The 3 bulbs above the ramp? most people still like seeing bulbs, and I'm trying to make this as close of a swap-over while making improvements

Maybe you can also design in stable plastic holders instead of riveting the original brackets at the bottom?

The 3d printed brackets which I'm going to attach with screws. However if you prefer metal, you can transfer the original brackets over. I cannot embed hole mounts into the wall of the 3d print because of the orientation it has to print, nor would I want to (in case it breaks).

Making progress on the model, going to be 3d printing a new building overnight, hoping to have pics tomorrow.

#22 7 years ago

Nowhere near done but making progress. I made a wall between the two pieces and hot glued them while clamping, it's a very strong joint for one solid piece. Painted the outside, painted each window sill black, 3d printed windows which works great because the printer lines create a nice fresnel lens to distill the light. I have some orange LED flashers and it's going to look crazy good when it's installed. The multiball sign will be closed off so no light leaks, and it also looks great. Here's a video (looks better in person, video makes it look washed out):

lw3_building_front_(resized).jpglw3_building_front_(resized).jpg
lw3_building_back_(resized).jpglw3_building_back_(resized).jpg

I also still intend on building a rooftop out of PETG and some 3d printed blocks for the outer trim.

#23 7 years ago

Got the roof installed, transferred the 3 bulb board, installed the mounting brackets.. didn't like how the painted doors looked so I 3d printed separate doors and painted those. Other than de-soldering the existing bulb sockets to transfer over the connector this is done.

lw3_building_done_(resized).jpglw3_building_done_(resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago

Hey there,sweet work. I would like one if/when they go into production. I am glad you kept the multiball ready instead of triball ready.

Note to all LW3 owners!!!!! If you use display rom version 2.5 and the most recent cpu of 2.8 the game works awesome and says multiball on the dmd and everything the way it should.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

I would like one if/when they go into production. I am glad you kept the multiball ready instead of triball ready.

First one is sold to the op.. Finalizing one last detail to hide the screws. The price is going to be $80, and that includes:
completely painted building with roof and clear windows glued in
2 new bulb sockets, 2 new flasher sockets
LED bulbs in all sockets
Mounting brackets

I'm not including is the 3 led pcb, the clear inside wall, the wiring harness. You will have to transfer this over yourself, but since I'm keeping the same positions of everything it will be very easy and straight forward to transfer it over.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Got the roof installed, transferred the 3 bulb board, installed the mounting brackets.. didn't like how the painted doors looked so I 3d printed separate doors and painted those. Other than de-soldering the existing bulb sockets to transfer over the connector this is done.

Looks awesome. I can't wait to see it installed! My only complaint would have to be the black font over the fire. I am not a graphic designer, but I think it should stand out a bit more. Maybe try adding a white outline to the font? Great work though, and I may have to get one as well.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

My only complaint would have to be the black font over the fire. I am not a graphic designer, but I think it should stand out a bit more

Can't argue that. Things need to be readable from the player's view. I took another explosion, and made sure any area around the text was the same center yellow color:

lw3_decal_comparison (resized).jpglw3_decal_comparison (resized).jpg

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Can't argue that. Things need to be readable from the player's view. I took another explosion, and made sure any area around the text was the same center yellow color:

Nice work, that's way better!

1 month later
#29 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm assuming this is the exploding building this is supposed to be modeled after?

update (now with windows)

This is the wrong building. That was an end credits scene.
The correct building is in the 2nd pic at the top of this thread, and on the backglass.
I was actually there with half the city of Orlando when they blew it up.
A week later a cool security guard gave some of the rubble to us, which I held on to for a while then chucked it.
Of course I just picked up a trashed game in June I'm restoring for Freeplay Florida, oh well!
I've attached some old postcards of the building.

orlando city hall post card 1 (resized).JPGorlando city hall post card 1 (resized).JPG

orlando city hall post card 2 (resized).jpgorlando city hall post card 2 (resized).jpg

orlando city hall post card 3 (resized).jpgorlando city hall post card 3 (resized).jpg

Orlando City Hall 1958 01 (resized).jpgOrlando City Hall 1958 01 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-replacement-vuk-ramp-building and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.