• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU_Rotten (resized).jpg
schem_rotten (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hello, I need some help with a LW3 project.

Game has Rottendog MPU004 and original boards for the rest.

Problem: Right Pop bumper locks when activated, either by the switch or in coil test mode. Clarification, the coil does not lock when game is turned on like a typical bad transistor. It locks when you press the start button, or when the switch is hit after game has started. Will note that during coil test mode, it will lock on test and release when the test mode is exited back to attract mode. The switch is not stuck on and tests accordingly and passes physical inspection of gap.

History: game was dead when I got it, and it booted after I recapped the power supply. VUK coil locked when turning on game, replaced tip36 on ppb board to fix that. Here is the strange thing first noticed with right bumper. The coil would heat up ONLY when the game had started, not when in attract mode, not locked either just would get hot quickly and burn. This was true even with new coil, diode etc.
Replaced the corresponding transistor on the rottendog board along with one other that was locking on a flasher.
OK after replacing right pop transistor it no longer heats up during game mode, but it now locks only on activation.
It being a rottendog mpu makes this harder to troubleshoot and Im not sure where else to go.. Ive replaced the pop transistor three times with same results.

Anybody have an idea where I can look next? Im not sure what else controls the special coils on the mpu other than the transistor.
Everything else on the game is working like it should now, but this is the last issue I cant figure out.

Thank you for any help or insight!

#2 2 years ago

Ive seen this in earlier WMS games which I think DE copied off of. Special solenoids have two enable paths. From memory these spec solenoids switch input enables with the blanking and the flipper relay circuitry. Depending on which logic chip blows out you can get a situation where it only locks on in game play mode or test modes.

Pull off the special solenoid switch input just to be sure the PF input switch is not just jammed closed or shorted.

If it still locks I'd guess that 12a, 12b, or 11c or the associated PIA for the CPU enable is blown.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Ive seen this in earlier WMS games which I think DE copied off of. Special solenoids have two enable paths. From memory these spec solenoids switch input enables with the blanking and the flipper relay circuitry. Depending on which logic chip blows out you can get a situation where it only locks on in game play mode or test modes.
Pull off the special solenoid switch input just to be sure the PF input switch is not just jammed closed or shorted.
If it still locks I'd guess that 12a, 12b, or 11c or the associated PIA for the CPU enable is blown.

OK so Ive never fully understood how to test the PIA chips.. and this is not the original MPU.. its a rottendog. But using your logic... would these PIA in the picture, (U11,U24) be functioning the same as the original 12a 12b or 11c?

and secondly what the best way to test if its truly bad?

Thank you!!

MPU_Rotten (resized).jpgMPU_Rotten (resized).jpgschem_rotten (resized).jpgschem_rotten (resized).jpg
#4 2 years ago

Check the dip switches and make sure that they are set for your game. The dip switches change the behavior of the board.

#5 2 years ago

I searched for the dip switch settings, could not find them? Rottendog website appears to be unmaintained and the link to the data east jpg is missing.
I did try flipping them the opposite direction and that certainly changed the order.. I think there is only two settings, Wms or Data east. Nothing specific to a particular game that I'm aware of?

Thanks for the help!

#6 2 years ago

Update.. replaced and socketed u24, and u11. Replaced Transistor at Q2. on the Rottendog mpu
Only change is now is, it locks immediately upon entering the diagnostic menu? As apposed to only in coil test. However, I get same results in game play.. wont lock until its switch is activated.

only the right pop is doing this.. what else is in circuit that could cause this type of behavior? Ive never experienced it before, and it being a Rottendog MPU makes it all the more mysterious..

Thanks for any ideas

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
3,800 (OBO)
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-pop-bumper-locks-on-cpu-activation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.