IMG_0301.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0298.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hey all,

I wanted to share the mods I made to my LW3 pin. I’ve provide pictures (displayed below), and a link to a YouTube video showing the mods in action.

The YouTube Link is:

Here’s what was added/modified:

-Added a helicopter ‘toy’ near entrance to ramp. Propeller spins when ramp shot is made.
-Added an LED spotlight mount on side of building.
-Added a ‘toy’ Subway car and train track over subway lane. Subway car is GI illuminated and headlight flashes with subway flasher.
-Added an undercover police car over the “LW3” kickout hole. Headlights and roof flasher turn on/off with the “Leo Getz” playfield light.
-Added an illuminated neon arch that crosses over the figure-8 ramp.
-Added a playfield police flasher in back-right corner that flashes in conjunction with topper flasher.
-Installed new (real) topper flasher on back box.
-Added an illuminated stoplight in back-left corner of playfield.

Hope you enjoy!

-Brian

IMG_0298.JPGIMG_0298.JPG IMG_0299.JPGIMG_0299.JPG IMG_0300.JPGIMG_0300.JPG IMG_0301.JPGIMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPGIMG_0302.JPG IMG_0305.JPGIMG_0305.JPG IMG_0306.JPGIMG_0306.JPG IMG_0315.jpgIMG_0315.jpg IMG_0321.jpgIMG_0321.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Fyi, if embedded YouTube link does not play, the YouTube video/link ID you can search for is:

E_teIzjAXOw

#3 9 years ago

Ridiculously awesome

#4 9 years ago

Thanks!

#5 9 years ago

did they have a subway car and helicopter in the movie?
I cant remember

#6 9 years ago

Such a great game. Nice work.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

did they have a subway car and helicopter in the movie?
I cant remember

Yes,

There is also a subway scene photo and helicopter on the translite, a 'subway lane' on the pf, and a 2-D plastic helicopter (not a mod) mounted near the shooter lane.

If I recall correctly (and its been a LONG time since I've watched these) these are from the third movie.

2 weeks later
#8 9 years ago

Brian nice work . have you made any of these mods for sale . This was the first game I ever bought . now own 9 pins. help me if they are for sale.

#9 9 years ago

awesome, good to see someone cares about the not so popular machine, you get a thumbs up!

#10 9 years ago

Good job.

#11 9 years ago

Thank you!

As of now I have not made any of the mods for sale. If I have time though I can try to put together a few kits. I'll let you know if/when I get around to it. If you are planning a similar mod I could show you how I did it and what I used. Very simple stuff. Aside from the 'toys' it's just a few relays, breadboard, and old dc power supply i had lying around.

1 year later
#12 7 years ago

I know this is an old post but do you have any of those mods for sale yet? Or if not, do you know where I can get some? Love my LW3 and your pin looks awesome!

11 months later
#13 6 years ago

I second what was said above. I just got my LW3 and would loooveeeeee to add these. Please pm me if your still active please.

1 week later
#14 6 years ago

Where is the Dually mod?

IMG_20180126_165421 (resized).jpgIMG_20180126_165421 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Sorry I have no kit. I used an old Air Hogs 2-channel micro rc helicopter. I think it costs like 20 bucks at Target or Walmart. I simply disconnected the wires from the prop motor and connected it to a 5v DC power supply (wal-wart) and a resistor to drop the voltage a bit (since the motor should run 3.7v DC I think?). The circuit is broken by a 5v relay. I have a rectifier in circuit with the 5v relay which is connected directly to the flasher bulb socket on the left side of the playfield (the flasher that goes off when a ramp shot is made). These quick pulses from the flasher circuit close the relay, and complete the 5v DC circuit tothe props to make them spin.

The subway car is just an HO-scale train car I found on eBay. I inserted a few pinball LED's inside the train car and wired it up to the red spinner LED circuit so the lights blink in conjunction with the spinner led's. I used four #555 style LED’s inside the train car. Three of them are connected to the GI circuit and always keep the car lit. The fourth is the headlight on the front of the train that is connected to the “super spin” sign’s light, so it’s interactive and blinks with gameplay. I used JST style connectors coming out of the rear of the train car to connect it to the rest of the wiring so it’d be easier to install and/or remove. The bottom of the train car has been removed. The #555 lights are glued into the track (see photo) and wired from underneath, soldered, and adhered with hot glue. I used twist-ties to mount the train car to the track.

I use the service AC outlet with a surge protector inside the machine to plug in a 12 dc adapter (wall wart) and a usb charger port that handles all of the power for the 12v led strips, stop light, and playfield police flasher.

The playfield police flasher is simply a cheap-o party flasher I found on ebay for like $10. I soldered wires on the flasher's battery leads and ran it to my 5v supply. Only additional thing i did was added a 12 relay to the circuit that powers the topper police flasher. When this circuit is activated it also closes the relay which turns on the separate 5v circuit to the playfield police flasher so they both go on and off at the same time.

the car in my machine is not connected to a flasher. It is connected to the red light above the right spinner. I took the car apart, drilled holes and mounted LED's for the headlights and blue police light on top of the car. All of the led's in the car are hooked to one of those JST connectors coming out of the back of the car, then from there to the spinner light. The playfield lights are 6.3V which is way too much voltage for a standalone LED so I placed some resistors inside the car to drop the voltage so the brightness was about where i wanted it. Not very scientific but it works. I just experimented with some resistors till I got the led's to dim a bit so i knew i wasn't over-volting them. Car is 1/18 scale I think.

I put the stop light in the back left corner, I mounted it with adhesive velcro strips to the playfield plastic. Not sure what the led strips were called, I found them years ago at Walmart in the automotive interior lighting Isle. I don't see the exact ones on ebay either. Maybe discontinued. There's a bunch of similar 12v led strips and neon tubes on ebay that'd work though and look very similar. Might want to play with some resistors or use less than 12v since those can be blindingly bright.

If you have any other specific questions please feel free to ask and I'll try to answer them. I think I added some more descriptions and explanations in the Youtube video description as well. Good luck!

#16 6 years ago

Looks awesome.

1 year later
#17 4 years ago

Very very spectacular

#18 4 years ago

I like the subway car. Where did you get that?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-pinball-mods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.