Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by debaser
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Working on a Lethal Weapon 3 that is not booting. The 5v LED and PIA come on and stay on. The Blanking LED never comes on. Power is good at the CPU. Board is very clean with no battery damage.

I pulled the board so I could work on it on my test bench. I tested the 27512 rom and it was good. I burned a Data East test rom and now when it boots the PIA LED comes on and then quickly goes out. Occasionally when I power it up the PIA LED goes on then off quickly and then comes on solid, which according to the documentation for the ROM that means a bad checksum on the ROM. I tried swapping out the CPU with no change. I tested the 6264 RAM and it's good as well. I also checked both the ROM and the CPU socket with my meter and all pins ohm out fine.

Using my logic probe, I'm seeing the following on the 555 timer:

1 - low
2 - high (not pulsing)
3 - low
4 - high
5 - high (not pulsing)
6 - high
7 - low

According to the pinball wiki, pins 2 and 5 should be pulsing and pins 3 and 7 should be high. Based on those readings, it sounds like the 555 is not getting a signal from the PIA at 11B. Is there a good chance that PIA is bad?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago

Using my logic probe the CPU seems to be running. I'm getting a high signal on pin 40 and a high/low pulsing signal on pin 39. I thought perhaps one of the two 74LS244N's were having issues but I piggybacked a 74F244N (didn't have an LS, from what I read the F instead of LS should be ok) but no change.

Not really sure what else I should be looking at. Anyone have any ideas?

#3 6 years ago

I figured it out. Using the schematics and my meter I found an open circuit between pin 13 (A4) of the 6802 to pin 6 of the 74LS244. Flipped the board over and sure enough there was a really tiny nick in the trace that connected those two pins. Ran a jumper wire and now the test rom is running!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-not-booting-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.