Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Guru-420
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

We recently got a LW3 in, a barn find. Fired it up to MULTIPLE issues, as well as severe battery damage to the main MPU. Ordered a replacement Rottendog MPU from K's Arcade, with the latest code update ROMs. Also ordered a new PS, just because. Boards arrived and I installed as directed.
Fired up the machine again and started blowing the F5 fuse on the PPB. Decided to just order another Rottendog replacement PPB. Received and installed in machine. Everything "seems" stable. Tried to start a game, all it does is fire 2 solenoids and then goes back into attract.
Checked all of my boards to verify the connections, noticed my PIA LED on my brand new Rottendog isn't lighting up. Started looking at the various PIA chips and found several weren't seated properly. Reseated every chip, still no PIA light.
I am really stumped on this one. I figured this would be straight plug-n-play (barring any solenoid/playfield issues) but I can't even seem to get the new replacement boards working.

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions, TIPs? Anything? Please help!

#2 6 years ago

The PIA light only comes on for a second when you're booting. I doubt your problem is in the brand new boards. I bet that your trough switches aren't registering. Therefore, it thinks it has no balls, and will refuse to start a game. Go into current active switch mode, and see what switches come up, with the balls in the game. This is NOT plug and play. This machine was sitting in moisture for a long time, and is gonna have a lot of problems related to that - number one of which will be switches not making contact correctly because of corrosion on the contacts. You are going to have to go through every switch and every solenoid one at a time to make sure they work. You'll need a copy of the manual to guide you.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply CM. By plug-n-play, I meant drop the boards in and go as far as fire up and maybe start a game. I realize there is still lots to test and do. I'm currently trying to figure out how to go into the switch matrix on a DE pin (this is my first DE). Knowing the PIA light is only supposed to flash on startup and not stay lit is a HUGE weight off my shoulders.
I was able to finally get a game to "start", but no ball eject, nor does there seem to be any life all all from any solenoids other than the flippers. Also trying to figure out how to get into the solenoid test.
Experienced with pin repairs, but just digging into a DE for my first time. Currently own 15 other pins in an arcade, mainly all Gottliebs..lol

#4 6 years ago

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb...

Found an 8A fuse that was sketchy in the back box. Swapped it out, and I now have all solenoids and game plays a full game. Now that it actually works, time to start the shop out. Thanks!

#5 6 years ago

Congrats! If you haven't figured it out, there's two buttons on the inside that get you into test mode. The one button has both a down and up position. Press the other button. The first one being up gives you audits and adjustments, down gets you diagnostics.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks! I'll be exploring all of the various options in the menu now that I know the game fundamentally works, at least. Playfield in process of a full tear-down now, and today we start cleaning it, as well as cleaning/adjusting the drop-target assemblies. Spent most of last evening after I got it going teaching my 12yo son how to do the tear-down. He wants to keep at this one to learn how to maintain the machines with me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,800 (OBO)
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-multiple-issues-any-assistance-appreciated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.