New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 95979)

Lethal Weapon 3 Dot Matrix Scrambled

By Spies

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by kpull
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Just popped LW3 on for a quick game to be greeted with a garbled display, I had a look at the repair guide and it refers to a resistor going bad on the smaller style display which produces a similar effect. It is a Babcock display but I don't believe it's related to the common 18 volt lamp backbox fuse problem as CPU controlled lighting is working fine.

Voltages at P1 seem good except pin 2 is only -89vdc (should be -98vdc according to guide).

The display changes with what you would expect during attract but every frame is scrambled and looks nothing like it should.

#2 6 years ago

Did you try reseating every ribbon cable involved ?

LTG : )™

#3 6 years ago

Yes, pulled the display eproms too and reinserted them.

I haven't got another machine to try it in unfortunately.

#4 6 years ago

Struggling to attatch an image on my tablet but it looks like this https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B219fNcXuUQmSWlSSmhXcXZ4YU0/edit?usp=docslist_api

#5 6 years ago

Tried it in an I500 and it does the same thing, I noticed no continuity between P1 pin7 and VDD on U4 so I installed a jumper wire to C13 as I can't access the back of the PCB due to the glass being in the way, it has changed the problem rather than resolve it so I still have garbage on the screen.

2 weeks later
#6 6 years ago

I'm having a glitch with my screen wanted to see if it looked like yours..
it almost looks like the dmd is going out. but then again it would be showing the picture..
im not an expert either, your best bet is to find someone with thte equipment to test it
and trouble shoot the easiest part first before you get into the CPU and Drivers..

#7 6 years ago

You should be able to view it now.

#8 6 years ago

I could be completely wrong - but I thought this was caused by U8 GAL chip being bad

http://www.beerorkid.com/pin/Gottlieb%20system%203/

#9 6 years ago

is the eproms going bad a common occurrence on these machines?

2 weeks later
#10 6 years ago

I swapped the DMD out for a new one in the end.

5 months later
#11 5 years ago

Check capacitors on display, it looks like one of image decoder chip is not getting good voltage.

#12 5 years ago

I had that happen on my hook. There is a resistor you should check on the display board if reseating did Not help. Actually bought it that way from an operator who could not fix it. Let me see if I can find the info.
Keith

#13 5 years ago

Check R95 on the display board. It should be 33k 1/2 watt resistor. It will cause the display to look just like that if it is out of spec.
Keith

#14 5 years ago

Oh jeez, chasing old thread.....

nevermind.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Boards
PinSound
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside