(Topic ID: 296698)

Lethal Weapon 3 DMD went out after adjusting sound pot.

By tait316

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by tait316
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So I'm trying to help out my Nephew because we had a strange thing occur. He got a LW3 a while ago and the sound was really low. Stupid us didn't realize that the game has a sound pot on the right side when you go inside the coin door. We adjusted this to make the game louder and during that game I looked up and realized the DMD had gone out. Previously the dmd was occasionally doing some weird stuff so we just re seated all the ribbon cables. Doing this today didn't help. I thought the left ground braid to the dmd looked a little frayed.

What do you guys think we should do first? Should I order new ribbon cables and another ground braid? I could test his dmd in my Jurassic Park but I don't want to put that at risk until I get a better idea. Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 2 years ago

Check for cold solder joints on connector pins

#3 2 years ago

Sounds like a flaky ribbon cable or cold solder joints on the DMD header pins. You can try swapping the ribbon cable with the one from JP. Putting that DMD into your JP really won't hurt anything. It'll give you an idea of its the display itself or something else in your game.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Sounds like a flaky ribbon cable or cold solder joints on the DMD header pins. You can try swapping the ribbon cable with the one from JP. Putting that DMD into your JP really won't hurt anything. It'll give you an idea of its the display itself or something else in your game.

Yeah that sounds reasonable. Dumb question. Do I have to swap the roms on the dmd board out to the right game for it to display anything?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Boards
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Hilton, NY
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,481 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 18.95
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-dmd-went-out-after-adjusting-sound-pot?hl=tait316 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.