New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 274252)

Lethal Weapon 3 display issues

By Grebac

80 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 71 days ago by Grebac
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

36E30926-3BA6-423A-8F2D-56D8F6861812 (resized).jpeg
CCDC5447-9F9F-4821-BEF1-9BEBE3810427 (resized).jpeg
E47C9AE2-8659-49DF-B42A-C751435DF4D2 (resized).jpeg

#1 80 days ago

Hey everyone. Brand new to this forum and super excited to see if I can get some help. I’ve owned my LW3 pinball for 10+ years without a problem. Then the display stopped working. The machines works great otherwise but no display. I had a local technician look at the machine who diagnosed this as a burned out display. I purchased and installed a new display but still didn’t work. I then installed a new DMD controller board. Still doesn’t work. However when you pull the plug most of the way out with the machine on the full display lights up. So pretty sure this isn’t a display or controller. I then replaced the 14 pin ribbon cable between the control board and the display. Still no display. So I’m at my wits end. I am not an electrician nor have I ever restored a pinball machine, but I am good with my hands and love puzzles. My local tech guy kinda peaced-out. So I’m trying to figure this out and did some research on the web and noticed many people talking about the power supply. I was poking around and noticed that it appears I have a burned out connector to CN1 of the power supply (see photos). My question is, could this be the reason my display doesn’t work? And if so, do I need to replace the power supply and connector? Finally, how difficult is this, given my experience. I will say that I replaced the DMD controller board and work with small plastic models, so hopeful with some direction I can figure this out. Guess I’m going to need to buy a soldering gun? Any help would be appreciated!!

36E30926-3BA6-423A-8F2D-56D8F6861812 (resized).jpegCCDC5447-9F9F-4821-BEF1-9BEBE3810427 (resized).jpegE47C9AE2-8659-49DF-B42A-C751435DF4D2 (resized).jpeg
#2 80 days ago

Yes I would definitely suspect that connector, but first you need to investigate why it burned... do you see any blown fuses?

#3 80 days ago

Replace connector and board pins and check high voltage output to display.

#4 80 days ago

Thanks so much for your reply. Can you explain this as if I’m a dummy. How would I know if there were any blown fuses? Do I need to purchase a voltage meter tool? Also, how would i get instruction on how to replace the connector and board pins? Finally, how would i check high voltage output? Sorry but I’m learning electrical 101 on the fly. Much appreciated!

#5 80 days ago

No problem, I would start here to sort of get the lay of the land for the machine and terminology.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#The_Data_East_Board_Set

Next yes I would purchase a multimeter as it will help you tremendously pinpoint what is going on.

Honestly, I wouldn't use that local pin tech again if I were you. They should have found that burned connector as part of their investigation. Everything starts with power and until you know what you are working with, there is no point proclaiming a display is dead, a board is dead etc. Good thing is you have some new parts, bad thing is you may not have needed them.

If you don't feel comfortable desoldering/resoldering the pins on the power board, you can buy a new one and swap them. However you will need to recrimp at the very least that one pin in that connector, so you might want to read up on how to do that on PinWiki as well.

We will get you through this, don't stress.

#6 80 days ago

Thanks again. Very cool! I’m excited to try and fix this myself. I’m expecting to have to buy a new power supply so no soldering issues. The reason I reached out before doing this myself was the one burned out connector, which now you told me I need to recrimp the one pin. How hard could that be? I’ll read up and get the supplies and update you when shortly. Thanks again!

#7 80 days ago

Come check out the owners thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-club-join-if-you-have-one-or-haf-one/

There is an update to the game code being worked on.

1 week later
#8 73 days ago

Thanks everyone for your support. So I gathered up all the supplies. I’m now the proud owner of a soldering set, multimeter, and wire crimper. I checked all the fuses for continuity. All fuses are good. I purchased a new CN1 connector set and watch a bunch of videos. I’m preparing to remove all the connectors and mark their locations. I will then remove the power supply, unsolder the burned out CN1 connector and solder in a new connector. As for the connector plug, I’m going to have to figure out how to remove the old plug and crimped wires, or just cut them. Obviously I’ll mark their location first. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to handle the connector plug replacement considering the wires are still attached to the game? I thought about fishing the wires and seeing if I could remove from the game. But figured I would ask the community first. Thanks again. I’m excited to learn how to fix my game and gain as much knowledge as possible.

#9 73 days ago

If you have a new CN1 connector housing, just cut each wire one at a time as you crimp one and push it into the housing.

There is no reason for removing the whole wire harness out of the game to crimp one new connector.

#10 71 days ago

Thanks Pinballmaniac40. Really good advice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Magnolia, TX
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
2,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charlton, MA
2,350 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
1,800 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Vernal, UT
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside