27 days ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
#1 27 days ago

I recently bought the game, shortly after noticed that the display has dark spots during some parts of the game, always the same spots. Did a test and all dots glowed bright red. Power seems ok also. Reseated cables. Found corrosion on the Mpu board you can see in the picture .
Asked around locally and no one knows for sure . Seems the guy I bought it from didn’t know what he was doing with soldering. But don’t know if replacing the whole board will fix it. Could it be the actual lethal weapon program? Oh ya and the display has become frozen at times also .

IMG_6529 (resized).jpegIMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
#2 27 days ago
Quoted from ShaunTaylor:

I recently bought the game, shortly after noticed that the display has dark spots during some parts of the game, always the same spots. Did a test and all dots glowed bright red. Power seems ok also. Reseated cables. Found corrosion on the Mpu board you can see in the picture .
Asked around locally and no one knows for sure . Seems the guy I bought it from didn’t know what he was doing with soldering. But don’t know if replacing the whole board will fix it. Could it be the actual lethal weapon program? Oh ya and the display has become frozen at times also .
[quoted image]

That's not corrosion. That's somebody poorly trying to fix pulled up board traces. I agree with the guy you bought it from: he doesn't know what he's doing with soldering.

#3 27 days ago
Quoted from sllerts:

That's not corrosion. That's somebody poorly trying to fix pulled up board traces. I agree with the guy you bought it from: he doesn't know what he's doing with soldering.

Thank you. Have you heard of this problem with the display before? Should I replace the whole board?

#4 27 days ago

The ?dark spots?... do you mean like missing graphics? Are you using a plasma (glass) display or an aftermarket display replacement with 'red dots'?

Dark spots on the display are usually the glass failing if toward the bottom or top and if the problem is worse when you first turn on the game but get better as the display warms up, but can be caused by problems with the CPU, the ribbon cable, the Dot Matrix Controller (particularly the +5v wires into the dot matrix controller), and finally, the glass itself, or the display glass's power supply. Could be a lot of things.

All Data East pinballs the age of Lethal Weapon 3 need some capacitors replaced on the power supply.

The biggest cause of display freezes is actually the three pin connector with a red and black wire to the display driver board. The connector here needs to be replaced, pins and plugs, with crimp-and-stuff connectors using trifurcon terminals.

You might indeed have problems with the CPU board and the prior work there, but I'd get that power connection to the DMD controller fixed up, get the power supply's capacitors working, and then see what happens.

Let us know what you find!

#5 26 days ago

It’s aftermarket with the red dots. An example is when you are waiting for the skill shot and there’s targets to hit on the display , the 2 on the left are black when they should be red. When the shooter moves over them quickly , they turn red but they are supposed to be red the entire time and get brighter when they get targeted. Another example is when you hit the ramp it counts how many times like 1 out of 3 ramps . It only shows the one and the 3 not the other words they are black .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Whitty Pinball Creations

$ 18.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hidden Meadows, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.