Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pimp77
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am on my 2nd SM. The first time i had it about two years ago and kept it about 7 months. I regretted selling it and got a 2nd one earlier in the year, I think around March. The one I have now is HUO and is loaded with all kinds of options and mods, it would be difficult to replace it with one equally nice.

I have typed up a for sale thread and then deleted it three separate times. Now I have a buyer reaching out to me by chance. If I can break even into what I have in it, should I let it go again?

In the past I've sold games far too quickly and regretted selling them, infact every game I currently own (except Jackbot which has never left and never will) I am on my 2nd example of the game. With that said, SM plays pretty long and while I have never made it to Super Hero mode, my enjoyment seems to go down drastically as the game goes on. I prefer shorter, more difficult games that whip my butt compared to journey games like SM and LOTR I believe. That said, I adore the theme and layout to SM.

My WH2O is leaving very soon, so I am not hurting for funds and there isn't anything on my mind I need the cash for, but I am still considering letting SM go.

So what would you do?

#2 9 years ago

ME? I wouldn't sell Spidey unless I HAD to (and I had to).

ME? I wouldn't sell Spidey unless I was replacing it with Star Trek.

ME? I wouldn't sell Spidey.

#3 9 years ago

My SM is never leaving. My personal #1. Obviously I'm biased. If you're struggling this much with the decision keep it. If its time comes down the road let it go. For now it sounds like your decision is pretty obvious.

#4 9 years ago

I think I would make up my mind on my own. Not trying to be rude, but you are an adult and this isn't a question of what game is better. Not sure what you are hoping to find by asking strangers on the internet?

#5 9 years ago

Well he is asking for opinions, and I wouldn't get rid of SM, I think its the best overall pin Stern has ever done.

#6 9 years ago

SM was strange for me. When I had it I never played it...ever. I sold it to a local collector and got to play it a couple nights ago. I kinda missed it...

Weird missing a game I never played

#7 9 years ago

Normally I would say if you are asking whether or not to sell it, then you probably should. I've seen more than one person buy it twice and sell it twice. However considering you have a track record of regretted sales, maybe hold off until you are 100% sure, especially if not a matter of space or funds.

I've considered selling mine on occasion as well, but ultimately the theme alone makes it stick (for my daughter), and it's a lot of fun in a good sized collection. I also did a full tear down shop job, new ramp, custom LEDs, LED OCD, and it plays so well I'd hate to have to replace it with another and then go through that effort to get another back up to snuff.

#8 9 years ago

Keep it, but change the setup. Open up the outlanes all the way. Go into the settings of the game and change everything. You are not just making the game harder, you are changing the timing that you now know too well. Then shut the game off and put a cover on it with a note to not touch it for one month. At the end of the month flip off the cover and give it three plays. Go just for modes. It will either feel like magic, or it is time to sell it.

#9 9 years ago

That is a great strategy to test out a pin before selling it.

#10 9 years ago

Don't do it......if it's your second go around, there was something that made you want it again....if space or funds truly aren't an issue, I think you would miss it again after it was gone.....I don't play mine as much as I once did, but sometimes, it's just a Spidey night...not selling mine....

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

That is a great strategy to test out a pin before selling it.

Doh! And I forgot, change the pitch as well. If it is floaty make it fast, and if it's fast, make it faster or floatier. It throws off your timing for everything to change the feel of the game.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from dung:

I think I would make up my mind on my own. Not trying to be rude, but you are an adult and this isn't a question of what game is better. Not sure what you are hoping to find by asking strangers on the internet?

He's asking for a sounding board. Don't care whether he's an adult or a kid, it's always nice to have a group of people interested in the same hobby, who potentially faced the same type of decision, and get feedback from them. Other than buying and selling, why the hell are we a part of this community if we can't turn to our friends and ask an opinion on a dilemma we're struggling with?

"Not trying to be rude," but I think that was just a stupid comment on your part.......

#13 9 years ago

SM has some of the best code and gameplay to come along. Quite complete and really fun. The game, unless a vault edition comes out, is only staying at its high price in my opinion.

I have never regretted selling a game unless it was HUO and loaded up, as you mentioned, they are hard to come across.

I'd say keep it, stack cash and get another pin as well

#14 9 years ago

I owned one for a couple years.
like the pin - not the theme. If you like both, it's probably a keeper. The callouts got really old for me.
Too many other great games recently to keep buying the same ones you've owned!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I owned one for a couple years.
like the pin - not the theme. If you like both, it's probably a keeper. The callouts got really old for me.
Too many other great games recently to keep buying the same ones you've owned!

Could not agree more. I have had black SM for 3 months. It is nice to look at, but callouts got old quick. Barely getting any plays.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

ME? I wouldn't sell Spidey unless I HAD to (and I had to).
ME? I wouldn't sell Spidey unless I was replacing it with Star Trek.
ME? I wouldn't sell Spidey.

#17 9 years ago

SM is a great pin. Arguably, Stern's 2nd best right behind LoTR and probably Steve Ritchie's best. I grew up watching the original Spiderman (67 to 70, still on tv in reruns), collecting the various Marvel Spiderman comic books (Amazing, Peter Parker, etc.).

I enjoy my BSM. Sure, I may not play it regularly but when I do it always puts a smile on my face.

#18 9 years ago

SM is Sterns best IMO...keep it!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-sm-go-again and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.