46 days ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 45 days ago by RCA1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 46 days ago

With major flooding incidents happening more frequently, let's talk about flood mitigation strategies for your gameroom.
    We've had 2 floods in my basement over the years but they were mercifully low.

Pins on their legs provide a bunch of clearance and if the waters are running high enough to lap at your pins, you're probably in an especially catastrophic incident.
    Lots of floods are only two inches or less, but even than that can be awful as water wicks through porous materials, and so everything in my basement is off the ground or is in a plastic bucket to keep it separated from any water.

Have you been testing your sump pumps? Do you have a backup?
    Do you have a plan of ways to physically raise things up if you know a big storm is coming?
    Do you know if your insurance will cover your pins? Will cover flooding in the case of a storm? Will cover flooding in the case of a storm sewer backup? Will cover flooding in the case of foundation cracks allowing seepage?
    Do you have a backflow valve?

What are you strategies, plans, and worries?

#2 46 days ago

Drainage away from the foundation is one of the best ways to mitigate floods. Make sure your gutter downspouts go as far away as possible from your house and preferably flow downstream away from the house.

A sump pump is pretty common in most modern homes, but they can be installed in older homes, although it can be a pain to install the drain tile and sump pit.

At a previous home, I installed a water-powered back-up sump pump that uses municipal water pressure to suck out the sump pit. It was great if the main sump pump failed or power went out. Battery back-up sump pumps are an option too, but battery maintenance and limited amount of battery life during loss of power is a concern.

Having two separate electric sump pumps on different circuits is another good idea.

A water alarm to sound off when there is water that floods is good so that you can be notified as soon as flooding starts. There are models that work on WiFi and can provide remote notifications.

For my current situation, I have two electric sump pumps and a Generac natural gas back-up house generator that automatically turns on in case of a power outage.

#3 46 days ago

This was many years ago, but I got 4 inches of water in my game room from uncontrolled rain. Carpet floating, arcades destroyed, yada yada.

#4 45 days ago

Water is a tough situation. You can’t stop a flood of water but under reasonably normal conditions having sump pumps and proper drainage outside the house is the best mitigation. I run 10 foot leads off the gutter on one side of the house and I ran a pipe undeground from another gutter 25 feet off the house. I have two sumps backed up by my generator. We’ve never had any water issues, thankfully, no water even in the sump pits, but with IDA this week, I could see water in the pipe feeding into the sump so I was at least close to having the pumps activate. As soon as it stopped raining, that water quickly receded so I know I have good drainage under my house. It’s always a white knuckle ride in these storms and it seems to be getting worse, I worry all the time about it. Wish I didn’t have a basement and could have pins upstairs. We had 5” from a storm a week ago and then another 3-4 from IDA so the water table is very high, not good.

#5 45 days ago

If you have a basement that is always or sometimes below the groundwater table, you will get water in the basement at some point.
    You can minimize the occurances and the consequences, but it will happen.
    Good ideas above for minimizing the occurances.
    Also think about things like Dricore subfloor if it's only a specific area or a weeping flow at worst.
    If your basement has the potential to flood deeply, maybe rethink the finished basement gameroom.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside