(Topic ID: 277610)

Let's talk about the Bally Rail Post and it's fashionable cap!!

By AgentX

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by T3quila
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

bally_guiderailpost_model (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hey pinheads!!

While disassembling my Bally Eight Ball Deluxe (1984) for a shop job, I found that the three “Rail Post” guides (I’ve heard them called different things) seen in the graphic linked below are dingy/ugly and either cracked or broken completely.

https://www.marcospecialties.com//images/products/C-907/additional4/detail.jpg

It looks like the last owner may have tightened down the screws a little beyond “snug” when it was last put back together. Everything else on this EBD looks amazing, so I’d like to tweak the last few ugly bits before listing her.

As previously discussed in this older thread…
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-white-post-for-top-arch
..I did verify that the parts are identified as:

RAIL POST (Nylon) Part # C-907 + RAIL POST CAP (Nylon) Part # C-908
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-907

I was a little surprised to see that none of the common parts dealers (Marco, PBL, Action, Pinball Resource, etc) seemed to have any of these in stock, so, feeling like I had no other option...I went about recreating the post itself in Sketchup and 3D printing my own prototype for the post’s lower body, which I’m somewhat happy with:

bally_guiderailpost_model (resized).jpgbally_guiderailpost_model (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Of course, it’s not perfect (yet) — could use some smoothing based on the “sides” of the two circles, and the final print will either be in white or a blue to match the rest of the posts in EBD.

But, I’m having more trouble recreating the Rail Post Cap. I’m sure I’ll get it to where I’m happy with it, and it might work perfectly well, but I thought I’d bring it up again here in the Forums to just see if anyone has some spares to part with or knows of someone else who might have gone through all of this trouble already and maybe has repro’d the same parts.

Why reinvent the wheel, ya know?

I know that in the aforementioned thread, the user tdiddy was credited for coming up with some extra posts for another user. Maybe Tom or any other user out there is still holding onto a few originals?

Thanks for reading,
KR

1 week later
#3 3 years ago

Bumpity bump bump...??

#4 3 years ago

They are pretty easy to find and were used in every Bally from the era. How yellow they are usually depends on how the rest of the machine looks.

3 weeks later
#5 3 years ago

I'll have to look through my boxes but i believe there all gone... I wonder if they can be 3d printed

1 year later
#6 2 years ago

Anyone ever find a great source for these, or at least somewhere to buy 3d printed ones? I can reuse mine on my Playboy Project, but they are less than stellar.

6 months later
#7 1 year ago

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone making these?

#8 1 year ago

The part nos. are C-907 and C-908. I googled and got a few hits but the couple I look at say out of stock or discontinued. Maybe you can fabricate your own by modifying a standard post?

6 months later
#9 1 year ago

I have 5 original posts with caps in nice condition if needed.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from knazzo:

I have 5 original posts with caps in nice condition if needed.

I'll take two posts with caps. I'm going to design the injection mold tooling for these and see if I can get them reproduced. I happen to know someone with a small injection molding machine.

The real question is how much demand is there for them.

I haven't looked at the rail posts used on classic Stern and Williams games to see if they are interchangeable. Does anyone know the if they are the same dimensions?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from PinChatt:

I'll take two posts with caps. I'm going to design the injection mold tooling for these and see if I can get them reproduced. I happen to know someone with a small injection molding machine.
The real question is how much demand is there for them.
I haven't looked at the rail posts used on classic Stern and Williams games to see if they are interchangeable. Does anyone know the if they are the same dimensions?

I would take some. Sorry, no idea regarding interchangeability.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-the-bally-rail-post-and-it-s-fashionable-cap?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.