thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1703466731529 (resized).jpg
pbr (resized).jpg
IMG_8945.gif
IMG_20231021_115712 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115717 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115724 (resized).jpg
IMG_3835.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gryszzz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

367 posts in this topic match your search for posts by gryszzz. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

With a nod to my buddy Swampfire who started the "Let's talk about Metal" thread, let's talk about the other greatest genre: punk rock.
I know there are some old school heavy hitters on Pinside: VID1900, o-din, SILVERBALLER, TheLaw, GorillaBiscuits, Jjsmooth and many more, that have lived through the beginnings of the "fuck you" movement so let's open that can of worms and start there.
I've heard some harken way back to Link Wray and the Wraymen as the godfathers of punk.
But in my opinion, it was the MC5 and Detroit's Wayne Kramer that gave birth to the bastard with "Kick out the Jams" in the mid 1960's.
Who wants to be a punk and argue?!
Punk rock and pinball truly go hand-in-hand, maybe even more so than metal.
The biggest difference between the two that I've noticed in 30 years, is that in a metal pit, dudes will (usually) help you up. In a punk pit, you better figure it out before the boots find you. I LOVE IT!
Let's hear yer most loved and most hated; from smelly crust, to Oi!, to DC heavyweights and everything in between...
Sid Vicious might be but...
PUNK'S NOT DEAD.
920x920 (resized).jpg920x920 (resized).jpg

#8 4 years ago

Most of us have some musical moments burned into our brain. The 1st time I heard Led Zeppelin and the first time I heard Slayer really stand out for me.
But when I was 13 I was at the mall, with my church youth group for a scavenger hunt. Me and my buddy blew that shit off and headed to Camelot Music. I found a Sex Pistols tape and bought it just because it said sex on it.
LIFE CHANGER right there.
I. Was. Hooked.
Most dudes in eighth grade had hot chicks and mirrors in their lockers. I had the Sex Pistols, top to bottom.
Never forget!

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The first time I heard punk, we burned all our Led Zeppelin shit.

LOL
I was doing homework in my room in 5th grade (1985) when Whole Lotta Love came on the radio. I was frozen.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Decline of Western Civilization. Your one stop shop!

The bible right there.

#17 4 years ago

Goddamit Civ I knew I was forgettin somebody special. Edited op to accommodate my NJ brother from another syphilis infected mother.

#18 4 years ago

WHO STARTED PUNK?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

My first punk show was the Goo Goo Dolls at a VFW Hall in Buffalo. True Story!

Well in the trve spirit of this thread, you'll be happy to know that I accidentally wound up 1st row for them circa 1999, and booed them the whole fucking show. I thought we were gonna fight. Until they had security haul me off. Haha.

#22 4 years ago

I've been punched in pits more times by females than males, FOR NO APPARENT REASON LOL. What gives? Glad it's not just corn fed Indiana lol.

#26 4 years ago

Nice. But dude... back then they were like an actual edgy punk band. What a batshit crazy transformation.

Not sure I believe you. Guess I'll take yer word for it lol

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Yay Grizz! What. Great topicM
When you said “silverballer” I’m pretty sure you didn’t mean me, but I lived through it, peripherally at any rate. I wasn’t a true punk at Huntington Beach High School in 1979, but in retrospect I wish I had been. There’s a reason that slam dancing in SoCal was called the “HB Strut”. The Circle Jerks were HB’s own, and the Cuckcoos Nest was Punk nirvana (immortalized in the Vandals “Pat Brown” and other songs). Shit got busy in Orange County!
Growing up in SoCal in the late 70’s early 80’s was a trip. Punk and New Wave became everything, and yet KMET and KLOS Classic Rock still ruled the airwaves. Thank god my crew and I had KROQ and soon after, KNAC. It was a daily ritual. Rodney Bingenheimer was the punk champion and a true visionary, but he wasn’t even the most popular personality on KROQ. And he wasn’t the best either.
Punk music brought honesty back to rock and roll. Ironic, considering that the Pistols were basically a fabricated band (from Malcom McLRens standpoint, clearly not the band’s) and yet they were best punk band fucking EVER! I find it amusing that heavy metal from that era still commands such respect, when it was Punk that really saved rock and roll. Hair metal was a simple chick/money magnet reaction to punk. It was easy pickings, for a lot of mediocre, uninspired musicians to capitalize on a music scene filled with puritans that could care less about money and fame. What a shame.
Personally, I loved X and the Crass and Black Flag and most of the LA bands. It’s a time that can never be duplicated. A true milestone in music history.

THIS!
I wanna hear from you badasses that lived through this shit! Thank you Family Arcade!

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

So happy you created this thread. I’m feeling younger posting in it!

Man I've been thinkin about startin this thread, with this title, for YEARS. Might be my last night drinkin for awhile, so I figured, why the fuck not.
The perfect matrimony of the two and my absolute favorite band of all time are playin here next Tues. Haven't missed them in 6 years. Must. Find. Way.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Was never super into the West Coast punk scene besides a couple here and there. I mean Angry Somoans - Back From Samoa is a top notch all timer right there.
Unless you count Fear as a west coast band...which you could debate, but I don't.
As I've said before, getting dropped off in Detroit when you're 13 to see the Cro-Mags was a bit dicey....but that's the 80s!

Fuck. How could I forget about TheLaw/my Cro Mags lovin bruv n my opening post? Apologies. Must be the plastic cups rottin my brain
Have a feelin yer not the last either. Lotta Pinside punks!

#57 4 years ago

THIS. What I'm talkin bout. Now I gotta check out early Goos (and pen an apology letter to those dwarf mf's jajaja)

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from kirkgun:

I remember the first time I listened to Walk Among Us. My favorite album of all time

LET US PRAY

#61 4 years ago

After waiting 2 months, finally got this in the mail today (from Argentina!). Kinda what started all this.
And vodka.

20190904_174722 (resized).jpg20190904_174722 (resized).jpg
#63 4 years ago

Glenn and Jerry are pretty close to my favorite band, but seein Kurt and Spike still grinding and paying dues, year after year, since nineteen eighty motherfuckin three, demands my absolute adoration.
WHO AM I???
D
R
I

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Fuck dude I just could have dubbed my tape to CD for you

#72 4 years ago

Not long after I discovered the Sex Pistols, I found The Repo Man.
Holy fuck that soundtrack opened up a new world for me...

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from onemoresean:

D.R.I. best intro with dad going off

10,000,000 thumbs up.
My favorite DRI track.
They ALWAYS play it.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I was really into Black Flag in my misguided High school youth. I still collect Black Flag bootlegs now. My kids can't stand it. But when I'm doing some driving and it's just me in the car- Henry comes on and with Greg Ginn's rough guitar chops, I'm in heaven.[quoted image]

I've got a six pack
and nothin to do
I got a six pack
AND I DON'T NEED YOU
Fuckin LOVE Damaged

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

But I was not going to miss it.. like some people...

Goddamit SORRY dude. Wish I coulda made it. A text maybe, the day before, woulda helped fckkkkk

#81 4 years ago

Jerry's boy that opened for Black Flag, is also, like his pops, EXTREMELY talented. So much talent in that family it makes me sick. All my dad gave me was alcoholism lol

#87 4 years ago

Oneangrymo might hate Indiana, but I fuckin LOVE Michigan.
DETROIT RULES OVER ALL
Negative Approach 7" is the greatest 7" ever released

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I remember early in my days as a young 6th grader growing up in the Baltimore/DC area with my buddies and older brothers already in the music scene when I was first getting into punk growing up. I remember early tapes in my bedroom of The Exploited, GBH, Sex Pistols, sitting next to guitar tablature books of more mainstream stuff like Metallica's Ride the Lightning and more localish stuff like The Ramones, Minor Threat and Black Flag and mowing lawns wondering "Who's got the 10 and a half?"... I remember being a Misfits fan straight from the first riff, and even to this day I am down with just about every one of their songs and to that end, im still on the hunt for a Stern Dracula pinball machine which the moment I obtained it, I will retheme it into the Misfits pinball machine that I've always wanted....I digress...I recall continuing to explore additional punk stuff that was at that time considered "straight edge" like Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Judge and Inside Out. This of course well within the uprise of hardcore, and a most satisfying sound coming out of NYC from Agnostic Front, and I recall listening to them rock it out on that Live at CBGB album. I rember Ian starting Fugazi, and going to free shows. I remember Bad Brains shows. I remember when Ag Front's time was up their little bros delivered Madball. Those were rough shows man. Reminding me of a tough show seeing Biohazard and getting clocked square in the chest with a boot...can still make my sternum pop... I remember earlier straight-edge/Krishna based bands delivered Shelter and then 108...man, I could go on and on...it's all bad ass.
Nice to see this thread. Wasn't really planning to share, but I guess I couldn't help it....
And the comment relating this genre of music and pinball going hand in hand, yeah man, I'm in agreement.
Nice to see I'm not alone...

Normally I don't really like new guys but I LOVE YOU MAN

#97 4 years ago

Always thought Fear was an LA band

#100 4 years ago

FUCK CHRISTMAS is my favorite holiday song.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

No, they were a shit band

Little homophobia was ok back then. If you like saxophones.

#106 4 years ago

How could I forget the most important guy on this whole motherfuckin site FCK it's the plastic cups in the microwave and the Roundup.
HEP might've restored yer machine listenin to this

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

LOL
I was doing homework in my room in 5th grade (1985) when Whole Lotta Love came on the radio. I was frozen.

26ec929de286c673a059b2862b831234 (resized).jpg26ec929de286c673a059b2862b831234 (resized).jpg
#121 4 years ago

On the radio you can put the handle up or you can put the handle down

#128 4 years ago

20eyes that Discharge track is what's up right on

#134 4 years ago

New Indy kids Crisis Actor
oh my goodness

#145 4 years ago

He was only five foot three girls could not resist his stare
PABLO PICASSSO WAS NEVER CALLED AN ASSHOLE

#149 4 years ago

I hear an echo. You hear an echo?

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thank god this will start the jacket phase of the thread! Let's throw them up!

I spent countless hours crafting mine my junior year of hs. Wore it to a house party at IU and in true punk fashion, somebody stole it.

#193 4 years ago

Man. I'll be spendin all day checkin out some of these bands y'all have graciously thrown up. A lot of em I've never heard.
That's why I started this thread.
I'd say thank you, but that wouldn't be very punk. So in honor of Hank Von Hell playing Indy tonight I'll go with this

Hank-Von-Hell-800x600 (resized).jpgHank-Von-Hell-800x600 (resized).jpg
#197 4 years ago

The Casualties were one of my favorite bands man I loved em. Underground Army was such a good album.
When I found out Jorge was a piece of shit rapist it was like gettin gut punched. I really took it badly. Quit listenin to them after that. How's the new guy?

2 weeks later
#303 4 years ago

Sorry I haven't been 'in the pit' here much. Without going into it, the last couple months been my worst ever.
Sirius XM 40 liquid metal pretty much blows, except for Bloody Roots (Ian Christie is the fucking man) and Corridor of Covers. Couple weeks ago I caught a metal/punk CoC with a lot I'd never heard. Some I wish I didn't. Shai Hulud or whatever absolutely butchering "Linoleum" ----AAAGHHH.
But Pig Destroyer doin up some Negative Approach RIGHT DIG IT

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from pinfarmer:

I just found out that fat Mike is a cross dresser. That was weird.

Thought everybody knew that lol. Funniest frontman live I've ever seen, without a doubt.

#305 4 years ago

Little before my time, but still Indianapolis bred. Vocalist Paul Mahern is a producer in my town of Bloomington now.

#308 4 years ago

Guess we need to hire Rob Berks security for this thread.
SECURITY!

#309 4 years ago

IF JOE JACKSON AND DONALD FAGEN HAD A BRAWL, WOULD BANGERJAY WIN?
Depends. If they both die, everybody wins.

#310 4 years ago

punk's not dead

#312 4 years ago

MORTICIAN ONLY AND MAYBE JOE JACKSON

#313 4 years ago

Im only on my 3rd drink better strap in mf's

#314 4 years ago

I don't care about you...FUCK YOU

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

I didn't scan this whole Thread...but I didn't catch any Bad Brains in the few pages I skimmed.
Nor did I see any Big Black. My copy of Atomizer gets a lotta love.

SAIL ON NEW GUY

#317 4 years ago

Good call actually. Not sure if better than Joe Jackson's Symphony but wtf do I know

#318 4 years ago

CIVILIZATION'S DYING

#322 4 years ago

One of my favorite bands.
Ran into some fuckin punk at Expo 2015 wearing a GBH backpatch and I asked "Livin your life on the edge of a knife?" and he was puzzled and said "don't talk to me".
Lucky I didn't ko you ya fuckin poser.

#323 4 years ago

Slide saving is punk af.

#324 4 years ago

Just found this shit last summer. Nashville crust vox backpatch, can't remember their name. He was was a good pinball player too.

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from fuzz:

Finally someone with some taste

I see the Asheville asshole quota is still filled.
If you're looking for good taste I think you're in the wrong place. Go make a fuckin tie dye like everybody else there.

#338 4 years ago

I listened to every one of those bandcamp suggestions and while none were bad, they're just not my thing man. My buddy that owns/runs Lets Pretend Records here in Bloomington....totally his style. He probably knows and digs all those bands. Many shades of punk these days, and that's a good thing I guess.
Ironically I think that's my biggest attraction/obsession with death metal. Not really much variety. You know what yer gettin upfront. Like it or leave. I love it.
I do agree with not wanting to be a Springsteen song about it though. Punk to me, should be full of angry young vitriol. Always been a young mans/womans game.
I prefer the gutterish, crusty, faster stuff. But to each their own!

#339 4 years ago

Except for ska.
NO FUCKING SKA ALLOWED.
Anywhere.
Ever.

#345 4 years ago

Eh, Waddle's a young dude and been around here awhile, I always liked him...hes's an operator and one of the good guys. Just pullin yer chain buddy. You do you brother.
Bein friends with a lot of band geeks in school and in general, I've always wished there was a cool way to integrate horns into aggressive music. But there's not.
I do love Morphine and Coltrane though lol.

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

How about Blue Meanies ?

How bout NO
(❤ ya buddy, can't wait to see ya again....almost there)

#349 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Still partial to the Skewed 7"

This kinda reminds me of Pissed Jeans for some odd reason. Mikey likes.

#353 4 years ago

One more before the weekend. Back in the early 2000s I converted all my records to Vorbis, which seemed like a good idea at the time (higher quality and lower storage needs than mp3, but low device support). Gave my records to someone when I moved. Some days I regret it. Still listen to this one frequently, but I wish I could still pull it out of the sleeve and look at the amusing/disturbing collage artwork.

Never in a million years would I imagine a guy named 'Bingopodcast' would have such excellent taste in obscure punk. I'll be honest, before this thread, I mistakenly assumed you were 80 years old enjoying yer assisted living lol. I'm diggin everything yer throwin out baby! Cheers

3 weeks later
#384 4 years ago

Goddamn Bingopodcast, your underground punk treasure trough is fucking amazing. Would love to have some beers and listen to your catalog someday. Thank you sir.

#385 4 years ago

"Well Fed Fuck"
LOL
IS ME

#386 4 years ago

Not so underground, 20eyes got me feelin some Discharge here tonight.

#390 4 years ago

That was all Wormrot brother. All day, everyday.
CHINESE GRIND FOREVER

#391 4 years ago
z-a-zoinks-44599160 (resized).pngz-a-zoinks-44599160 (resized).png
#396 4 years ago

More Chinese grind less everything else

#397 4 years ago

We will also accept Japanese grind.

#409 4 years ago

Obligatory

1 month later
#426 4 years ago

Gotta be honest here; Bingopodcast makes me look like a blue vested Wal-Mart poser of a punk lol. Man what a treasure fuckin trove that guy is. But I'm ok with that, cause he makes YOU look that way too haha.
Just gonna go ahead and hand this thread over to him....the trvest of the trve. Thanks for all the the great obscure shit bruh!

#427 4 years ago

My local Indy boys Crisis Actor with my 2019 ep o the year:

#428 4 years ago

Thanks to Bingopodcast, I discovered this gem
DYSTOPIA--Anger Brought by Disease

#434 4 years ago
Quoted from Mtkst19:

My 1st show I went to I was 12. D.R.I./napalm death. My knees were bruised and bloody but I recall it like yesterday.
Pittsburgh had a good scene when I was growing up. 3 bigger venues, ton of dive places/vfw/fire hall/ house shows.
Was also into bmx. Pgh was/still is a bmx hot bed. Always be 10-20 of us at a show. Even now when I go be the old head at a show I run into guys from bikes I may not have seen in a long ass time.
During pinburgh this past summer there was 3 good shows that week/weekend. Black flag/ bouncing souls/ bad religion were all in town that week.

DRI is prob my favorite band of all time. Literally listened to my Four of a Kind cassette until it shredded in 89.
They have never stopped touring. See em every year here. Spike is a goddamn unstoppable force. Kurt still man's the merch stand and will tell you to fuck off if you ask too many dumb questions (not me, but these two numbnuts in front of me pissed him off asking about different colors, sizes, any other shirts, etc. Was funny af). MAD MAN! Lol.
WHO AM I?

#435 4 years ago

Still tryin to wrap my head around a DRI/Napalm Death show. Holy fuck.

#436 4 years ago

I was 22, and had just met my wife. So that's how I missed that. Didn't come outta the bedroom until 97.

2 weeks later
#439 4 years ago

Alright @bingopodcast time to hit us with some more obscure crusty east coast shit. Gracias.

#449 4 years ago

Dude. I appreciate the heads up but if yer from Indy, and start a thread titled "Let's Talk About Punk", and don't know the Zero Boys, well, you should just be escorted to KY and dropped off in the OH river. Paul Mahern lives by me man!
I've heard 2/3 of those bands. Thanks for the others.

Quoted from SurlyOldPunk:

@gryszzz - here's an abbreviated Indiana punk history lesson of some lesser know stuff.

#450 4 years ago

East coast grindcore from FL.

FINALLY A BAND I KNOW LOL
ASSUCK RULES

#451 4 years ago

WORMROT MAKES CHINESE GOODS OK

#465 4 years ago

Should've posted this in the death metal thread... long standing thrashers that are still kicking. Check out their new stuff https://cianide.bandcamp.com/
Going to see them in March w/Autopsy in Chicago

HO REE SHIT
Gonna do everything I can to make this show.
Hope to meet ya/grab some beers/smoke up.

#466 4 years ago

Should've posted this in the death metal thread

Yeah when the vodka starts talkin the dm can land just about anywhere. Usually a fs post lol.
I DO WHAT I WANT
Nice Japanese post diggin that shit.

#474 4 years ago

Most definitely!!! If not, you coming to Clay's VFW event in April?

Last year was my 1st. Can't wait to do it again.
Prob see ya at Autopsy first. SHITFUN.

#475 4 years ago

Post punk? Proto punk? Emo? Fuck yer labels. This is my wintertime goto. Got into them 15 years ago cause they're from Marshalltown IA and as a hod carrier for 10 years, that's what all my brick tongs were stamped with. Marshalltown.
And this is one of the best versions of an old ass tune.
Stagger Lee

#476 4 years ago

And I have a soft spot for Midwest bands.
The best.

#477 4 years ago

This album is my wintertime goto has been for 15 years.

#486 4 years ago

It's verbiage.
And way to prove my point by slandering an entire region of the country.
Go back to being a pretentious Asheville cock. You obviously excel at it.

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from fuzz:

typical midwest goon verbage
have you ever been to asheville? recently?
The Asheville punk scene is very active with lots of bands and venues.
no tye dye needed,

There's no apologies here. But I'm done with my juvenile insults.
I noticed you've been here for 9 years, and I'm kinda old school with the whole 'respect your elders' thing. Let me get back to doing that.
I will say Asheville is one of the most amazing and picturesque cities I've ever been to.
Here's to your scene.

1 month later
#495 4 years ago

Lemmy just say that 36 days without some fresh shit from Bingopodcast is WAY too fucking long.

#496 4 years ago

Although SurlyOldPunk turned me onto Lip Cream. Grazie.
Been listenin to the fuck outta them.

#497 4 years ago

Lip Cream. Japanese maniacs from 88.
Hard af WOW.

2 months later
#501 3 years ago

Been on this album here lately

#505 3 years ago
Quoted from Hold_Fast:

New guy checking in. I wasn't fortunate enough to live through some of the great times mentioned in this thread, but have some great memories growing up playing in a punk band and going to great shows in the 90's and early 2000's. Now just trying to raise my kids right.
One thing I haven't seen posted in this thread (and maybe slightly off topic), any psychobilly fans in here? Nekromantix, Mad Sin, Koffin Kats, Tiger Army to name a few.
[quoted image]

Who doesn't love a cute kid in a Cock Sparrer onesie haha! Seriously, that's awesome. Shock Troops is a killer album.

#510 3 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

I wouldn’t be who I am today if it wasn’t for Dirty Rotten Imbeciles.

Eggzachary. I literally busted the tape from overlistening to Four of a Kind in 89. I wore headphones at school lol.

#511 3 years ago

My conundrum here is which version is better?
I like Spikes intro on Dealing with It but Kurt really goes faster than warp 20 on the Dirty Rotten LP track.
WIN WIN.

#512 3 years ago

I think there's kinda no doubt, I love both albums, but the Dirty Rotten LP is the clear winner here.

#513 3 years ago

Not just for I Don't Need Society, but album in general.

#514 3 years ago

Nope. I'm wrong. Never fuck8ng m8nd VIDKA
Dealing With It is the BEST DRI.

#518 3 years ago

Don't fuck with the GOAT
#wormrot
96525393_10157419433213282_6657515117745274880_n (resized).jpg96525393_10157419433213282_6657515117745274880_n (resized).jpg

#519 3 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

any love for the core?

Always the Hard Way is (was) one of my gym mainstays. Love that album.

#520 3 years ago

Not sure if grind is more metal or more punk....
And that's why I love it.

#521 3 years ago

Thanks to CrazyLevi for finding this for me..
Bisquette the goat loved her metal/hardcore/grind shows. Wormrot playing some shithole somewhere in France.

#523 3 years ago

""Fuck l'm drunk" haha

#527 3 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Gryszzz are you a fan of sheer terror?

Not gonna front like I know anything about hardcore. I like Terror and Hatebreed, etc., the grocery store hc haha. But never heard Sheer Teror or Alone in a Crowd (that fuckin ruled). Just never got hugely into the tough guy modern hc, cause well, too many tough guys lol.
But I'm diggin what you're throwin down.

1 week later
#532 3 years ago

This is goin on it's second spin

2 weeks later
#544 3 years ago

Nice work dude! Refreshing to see the lady NOT on bass lol.

1 week later
#545 3 years ago

Tankcrimes records just put Dystopia's masterpiece The Aftermath on Bandcamp. Please pay more than $5 for it. They're also releasing the new Necrot...stoked.

1 week later
#549 3 years ago

Man I thought the Negative Approach 7" was unobtanium. I'm sure first pressings are.
But I just scored a brand new one on FYE (puke) for seven fuckin dollars.
Ahhh shit. Best 7" ever released!

#551 3 years ago

bingopodcast dude along with a BUNCH of other bands I wanna especially thank you for turnin me onto Dystopia. Goddamn they fuckin KILL.
THANK YOU!

#559 3 years ago
tenor.giftenor.gif
1 month later
#562 3 years ago

Generator is #1 for me. Fat Mike says a lot of stupid shit lol.

1 month later
#572 3 years ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

Just wanted to stop by and suggest No Dogs In Space for all you podcast lovers. Deep dives into punk history one band at a time. Plus tunes mixed in. It’s my new favorite road tripping go to.

THIS THREAD IS A PODCAST FREE ZONE IF I WANNA DEEP DIVE I'LL LISTEN TO MC5 THANK YOU DRIVE THRU.

#573 3 years ago

Joking, of course, but I don't do podcasts, at all. The talking puts me to sleep. I'd much rather listen to a great album vs s podcast, every time all the time.
But thanks dude for throwin that out there for those that do!
All I've listened to the last month is the new Incantation...so freaking good. Gotta squeeze in some 1 2 3 4 tonight.
EARTH AD comin up...

#574 3 years ago

Oct 1st obligatory

#576 3 years ago

Incantation def not punk ha. I'm more of a death metal dude for the past couple decades. Still love both, and love seeing all these bands that everyone throws up (esp Bingo podcast).
Time for some Amebix.

#578 3 years ago

Probably my hardest favorite album to pinpoint cause I love all three. Generally it's Earth AD but tonight it's Static.

#587 3 years ago

DON'T MOSH AROUND MY CAR MF

#588 3 years ago

This album jumped in the rotation
What a great track

#596 3 years ago

First couple rounds= all night
I'M THERE

#608 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

When I was a kid me and my brother loved Fear the record... I can recite the lyrics to the whole thing to this day.

Same here man. Did you catch em on the 2009 tour? Lee Ving sounded way better than what I was expecting. The St. Louis show was wild.

#610 3 years ago

He's an idiot. But that album is unfuckwithable.

1 year later
#668 2 years ago

Hey fuckers
The-Shining-008 (resized).jpgThe-Shining-008 (resized).jpg

#671 2 years ago

Heyyy gurlzzz

#673 2 years ago

By Tor is kinda a punk song admit it mf's

#674 2 years ago

Against the grain, same tiime as shit got started

#680 2 years ago

Man the Exploited were one my 1st punk bands I came to love, love that track too.
Today Your Love...is also my favorite Ramones track.
Nice pics Philthy

#698 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

[quoted image]

DRI is my all time favorite band.
THE PARTY'S OVER! DONT YOU DUMMIES EVER UNDERSTAND ANYTHING?!

FB_IMG_1642031534669 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1642031534669 (resized).jpg
#704 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Oh yeah I know El Corazon, that venue has been around forever, I started going to it when it was the OffRamp, it's had lot's of name and ownership changes over the years. And currently the punk club Funhouse is also in the same building. I've seen The Dickies, GBH, Fear, the Donnas, L7, the Didjits, Hole, the Mentors, the Business, the New Bomb Turks, Helmet, Neurosis, Sleep, the Pain Teens, the Gits, DOA, Tribe 8, the Hanson Bros, Poison Idea, the Unsane, and about 500 other bands there over the years. I've bled, brawled, puked, partied and hooked up at that place. I even saw the Insane Clown Posse there for a laugh, that shit was nuts.

Never got to see Poison Idea *sad face*
One of these things is not like the others lol

Screenshot_20220114-181016 (resized).pngScreenshot_20220114-181016 (resized).png
#706 2 years ago

Neurosis and Sleep?!? Crazy bill.
I love Matt Pike but can't do Sleep, or really doom at all.
Too damn slow.

#708 2 years ago

WOW.
Is this one of the Tardy bros wife ha
❤️ Tampa death metal.

#716 2 years ago

Answer:
No, was too busy getting ran over by a train.

#717 2 years ago

Saw Gwar last month. I went for Napalm Death and Barney was fuckin AMAZING.

#718 2 years ago

They opened with The Silence is Deafening
I was ECSTATIC

#721 2 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Gryszzz how’s GWAR’s new lead? Sucked Brockie died so early!! You come out of that show soaking/soiled?

I left halfway in.
What'd I miss?

#722 2 years ago

I am not really a Gwar fan. They're good,but a little too "gimmicky" for me.

#725 2 years ago

I LOVE lofi/badly produced albums. Esp in early death metal.

#728 2 years ago

Yeah I realize it's "technically" not punk, but I know you folks can appreciate this...
Been casually waiting for many moons for this to come up at a reasonable price. Finally got it!

20220115_161300 (resized).jpg20220115_161300 (resized).jpg20220115_161312 (resized).jpg20220115_161312 (resized).jpg
#729 2 years ago

I always kinda remembered Samhain as being more metal than punk, but "technically" I'd be wrong.
Forgot the golden rule: everything Glenn touches is PUNK AF

#730 2 years ago

My biggest listen was always November Coming Fire, slightly metal,..you can see the tentacles starting to extend, but still punk as fuck.
Initium was basically Misfits. Unholy Passion up next.

#731 2 years ago

Yeah I fuckin know...get cooler score cards

#732 2 years ago
20220115_204849 (resized).jpg20220115_204849 (resized).jpg
#738 2 years ago

Ok. Go ahead and rip my crimson ghost off of me, but I've never heard Samhain's Final Descent.
Love it.
You really start to hear the metal coming out here.
Will say that the few Misfits tracks that Samhain does were done much better by the Misfits. Esp All Hell.

#739 2 years ago

But my very first thought on Final Descent...
KEYBOARDS?
WHAT IN THE MOTHERFUCKIN FUCK

#740 2 years ago
Quoted from Rampton:

Saw Napalm Death during the From Enslavement to Obliteration tour. Everyone was trying to slam down the front, but the place was so jam packed that no one could move! Other great bands on the bill, too.
[quoted image]

HOLY SHIT
You saw the Lee Dorrian/Bill Steer plus baby faced Shane tour???
WE'RE NOT WORTHY

#741 2 years ago

And here I've been thinking how everyone from MD was a fuckin asshole.

#742 2 years ago

AND MF BOLT THROWER

#744 2 years ago

Did you ever:
1) go to a show
2) hear some opening act you'd never heard of before
3) really like what they were putting down
4) buy an album
5) get home and play the record
6) the band you sort of liked live sounded totally terrible on the record (and were another style of music altogether).
Happened to me a couple times.

No.
MY GUY!!!
MANNNN IVE MISSED YOU!
Play me somethin crusty and dirty DJ

#747 2 years ago
Quoted from Rampton:

I thought the same about folks from IN. (I don't know anyone in IN lol).
ND were superb. Chatted with Lee after and he was telling me about his upcoming Cathedral project. Very quiet guy.
I remember most people being very unimpressed with Bolt Thower. The singer had his hoodie up all through the performance and the band were very stand-offish, as were the crowd. Things got vastly better for them it seems!

Love that about Bolt Thrower. One of my top shelfs, own everything they've put out. Mercenary is a perfect fucking album

#748 2 years ago

Good to see you again!

You never disappoint.
Not even once.

#751 2 years ago

Happy to be of service!

❤️

#752 2 years ago

PARDON ME WHILE I PICK UP MY FUCKING FACE. THANKS DUDE.

#754 2 years ago

Got all excited when Bingopodcast showed up and forgot to post this pic for my fellow Samhain fans
Guess I'll sit in my 12 yr olds pink and frilly room to watch the VHS tape lol

20220116_195146 (resized).jpg20220116_195146 (resized).jpg
#762 2 years ago

And you'd be very wrong. Take your acoustic guitar and your reggae riffs and that dog and make like a tree and get the fuck out

#764 2 years ago

Reel Big Fish sucks ass too.
NO FUCKING SKA
(Didn't you see the sign on the door?)
Try this friend:

#765 2 years ago

Dude, I actually don't mind Sublime. But Smoke Two Joints etc isn't what I consider punk. Maybe you do.
I can't fucking stand ska,sorry.

#768 2 years ago
Quoted from PinlordMarc:

That's fair, I guess. I don't consider Green Day punk, but it's incredible how many people do.

We finally agree on something!
*high five*

#770 2 years ago

NO FUCKING SKA

#773 2 years ago

Where the fuck you been old timer?
Ha
Salut

#774 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

Steve Strange!

Steve Brule

#776 2 years ago

My favorite Iowa mfs

#780 2 years ago

I like bands that aren't easily pigeonholed into a genre.
Iowa's Modern Life is War : post hardcore? Emo? Hardcore? Who fuckin cares?
To me their genre is grey skies and snow; essential winter listening.
Their 2nd and 3rd albums are front to back perfection. That's how I like em. Gimme an album, not a song.
But here's a song lol
DEAD RAMONES

#784 2 years ago

Man the comic was missing
SAD TROMBONE

#785 2 years ago

Goddamnit after that BH porn this week I really freakin want one. With ground mods done already

#786 2 years ago

More specifically, I want that one in the market. Insane.
Shoulda jumped but after Rush I'm cashked out

#787 2 years ago

That's right punks I love Rush.
And?

#789 2 years ago

The Motorcycle Boy Reigns

#790 2 years ago
Quoted from Quicksilver1:

I'm way late to this thread. I'm 52, been playing drums in an old school hardcore band for the last 24 years and have so many awesome memories of killer shows coming through Florida for the last 35 years. My introduction was Bad Brains playing the Bandshell here in Daytona for Spring Break 1987, even before MTV arrived on the scene. Daytona actually had a small run of cool shows before everything moved outward to Miami, Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville. Here's a flyer from one of the best shows to roll through town. There was a small club in the basement of Penrod's on the beach. We also played host to The Meatmen, Dag Nasty, 7 Seconds, Mentors and Adrenalin O.D. at the same venue.
[quoted image]

This fucking rules

#791 2 years ago

Can't imagine seeing Bad Brains in 1987 holy sheet

#792 2 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

And you'd be very wrong. Take your acoustic guitar and your reggae riffs and that dog and make like a tree and get the fuck out

Actually leave the dog

#795 2 years ago

Mickey Avalon is punk as fuck

#797 2 years ago

I play what I want

#798 2 years ago

Detroit rock city: birthplace of punk rock, Mr Bob Seger, and the city that Kid Rock missed a fantastic opportunity to be aborted in.

#801 2 years ago

Mikey likes.
Garage sexy.

#804 2 years ago

Ric Ocasek produced a Bad Brains record?
The ROIR cd was my 1st one way back when.

#805 2 years ago

I Against I I think. Maybe Quickness.

#806 2 years ago

Shit maybe it was the Bad Brains ROIR tape. This was 30 years ago ha.

#807 2 years ago

Anyway, here's Wonderwall...

#808 2 years ago

I remember now. It was definitely a Bad Brains ROIR cd.
Had a slightly different track listing I think?

#810 2 years ago

Naw. Might be wrong about the track listing, but it was definitely a Bad Brains ROIR cd

#816 2 years ago

Last night I was going strictly off of vodka soaked memory. This morning it was bugging me so I finally googled it..
It was the "Attitude" cd; wish I still had it.

R-2030112-1589132209-2155.jpeg (resized).jpgR-2030112-1589132209-2155.jpeg (resized).jpg
#817 2 years ago

Always kinda thought it was a bootleg

#825 2 years ago

Ain't it fun

#828 2 years ago

That's pretty b'dass. Never knew that was a Hawkwind track.

#829 2 years ago

WELL I DON'T GIVE A GODDAMN HELL WHATCHA

#830 2 years ago

I COME HOME TO RELAX

#831 2 years ago

Dealing with It is my favorite album of all time.
There is none better.

#840 2 years ago

THE PARTY'S OVER
DONT YOU DUMMIES EVER UNDERSTAND ANYTHING

#841 2 years ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Bought that cassette in high school as as it hit the store! then M.O.D !
edit : its not showing what im quoting....the SOD screen shot.

You bought Chuck Mangione in high school? F yeah!

#843 2 years ago

My heart

#847 2 years ago

40th anniversary this week, needs to be mentioned.
What a fucking game changer.

#848 2 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

[quoted image]
Such a great record with such horrible cover art. My favorite post-Misfits Danzig album.

Man Danzig I is spectacular no doubt and an insane debut by lil Elvis.
BUT
Lucifuge was SOMETHING FUCKIN ELSE.
Not many #2 albums best the debut.

#849 2 years ago

Naw fuck that 1 forever

#850 2 years ago

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES C'MON

#851 2 years ago

BOW DOWN

1 week later
#852 2 years ago

Schtaup

#853 2 years ago

Indy perfection

#857 2 years ago
Quoted from Kderrick:

THEE Indianapolis HC band.
[quoted image]

AGREED!
Saw them last summer in Indy. Was slightly concerned that Mahern's vocals wouldn't be up to par cause he's old now lol. I was WAY fuckin wrong. They blew the roof off that place. One of my favorite shows ever.

#858 2 years ago

Paul Mahern's kid and my kid used to take guitar lessons on the same night at our local music store here in Bloomington
The first time I ran into him I was like a starstruck schoolgirl.

1 week later
#860 2 years ago

Only waited like, 6 months for this lol
The infamous front porch!

20220228_192524 (resized).jpg20220228_192524 (resized).jpg20220228_192534 (resized).jpg20220228_192534 (resized).jpg20220228_192554 (resized).jpg20220228_192554 (resized).jpg
#866 2 years ago
Quoted from Staffan:

That's one expensive box https://www.discogs.com/release/22290661-Various-First-Six-Records
Love the Teen Idles, would be interesting to hear the Slinkees, couldn't find anything on youtube etc...

Holy shit! I actually ordered this last May, soon as I saw the ad on Brooklyn Vegan. Paid $50.
I'm not a scalper of anything, but I might be now lol. Just joking...not worth making $200 bucks to sell.
I would consider trading it for a Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos Bride on the Boxcar vinyl box set

#868 2 years ago

MF DRI 40th anniversary tour this year oughh
They'll be at my favorite Indy metal/pinball bar the Black Circle on April 4th SEE YA THERE
REAGONOMICS KILLIN ME
REAGONOMICS KILLIN YOU

#869 2 years ago

Whoopsie guess it's April 12th
Forgot they're co headlining with Eyehategod
Will be a barn burner for sure
SEE YA THERE

FB_IMG_1646279330679 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1646279330679 (resized).jpg
#871 2 years ago

Damaged is absolutely one of the greatest top 5 punk albums of all time.

#878 2 years ago

Please don't feed my television screen

#879 2 years ago

In his early years he was punk af

3 weeks later
#881 2 years ago

Kinda disappointed DRI is sharing 40th anniversary tour with Eyehategod
Just DRI ffs

2 months later
3 weeks later
2 weeks later
#890 1 year ago

Agreed. Punk is absolutely a young man's and womens game.

#891 1 year ago
FB_IMG_1659233215571 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1659233215571 (resized).jpg
#894 1 year ago

Man this pic was lifted from my FB buddy that actually started Indianapolis punk rock night.
I missed a big local heroes show last weekend

2 weeks later
#900 1 year ago

My power lifting buddy on vox.
More Indy greatness.

#902 1 year ago

You think you hate it now, just wait till you drive it

#903 1 year ago

Those kids are actually pretty funny

#906 1 year ago

SPACE FORCE

#909 1 year ago
Quoted from theadicts77:

Haha, come on man. No it's not, not even close. They're a sad sight these days too, Greg Ginn is a moron.

Haha you're wrong as fuck

#910 1 year ago

But Ginn was a complete dick, yeah

#912 1 year ago

Pound for pound and track by track, Damaged hit harder than even The Exploited's Punks Not Dead and Discharge's Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing...and those 2 albums are THE gold standard of punk to me.
Key phrase=to me.
It's all subjective homie. You do you.
I'm just thirsty and miserable...

#913 1 year ago

Fake News
Can't wait to see these mf's on Fri

#916 1 year ago

My first punk show was the Goo Goo Dolls at a VFW Hall in Buffalo. True Story!

Still can't believe this was the 2nd post in this thread...

#917 1 year ago

I know I know ffs

#918 1 year ago

They were great early on but then.

#920 1 year ago

Well I don't give a goddamn hell whatcha

#921 1 year ago
FB_IMG_1661733536474 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1661733536474 (resized).jpg
#922 1 year ago

Hey Mark you goin to Expo homie?

#924 1 year ago

Actually whomever in this thread be at Expo...
Let's fuckin party.

#925 1 year ago

Just listen for the Zero Boys at warp 20

#926 1 year ago

Top shelf

#929 1 year ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Not exactly expo, but I will be at pinball olympics again ready to party.

#930 1 year ago

I don't need society

#934 1 year ago

That's fucking terrible. ForceFlow throw him the fuck out

#936 1 year ago

Wow
Dave withe the huge fucking fail. Cmon man

#937 1 year ago

I mean Dave, not you. But you too.

#941 1 year ago

MF LEGENDS

367 posts in this topic match your search for posts by gryszzz. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gryszzz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-punk?tu=gryszzz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.