thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1703466731529 (resized).jpg
pbr (resized).jpg
IMG_8945.gif
IMG_20231021_115712 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115717 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115724 (resized).jpg
IMG_3835.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#176 4 years ago

Punk is where I learned you sometimes have to put your body in the way if you want to stop the neo nazis / white supremacists in your city.

#177 4 years ago

Also, as far as Gottlieb tables go, it's a beast.

#183 4 years ago

I grew up on mix of punk, hardcore and emo classics like Crass, Dead Kennedys, Fugazi, Cap n Jazz, Nation Of Ulysses. Was into the Canadian scene with Propagandhi.

After early teenage years I had moved on mostly to no-wave, post-punk, noise, doom metal. But every once in a while I still find something that sounds incredibly vital, like G.L.O.S.S.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I haven't listened to much outside of How to Clean Everything, but I really enjoyed them when I was younger. I should give another listen.

Propagandhi are great, and people seem to really like their more recent stuff too though I mostly just followed them in the 1990s.

John K. Samson of Propagandhi started a folky side project called Weakerthans in 1997 and that is an incredible trove if you're into singer-songwriter kind of folk/country stuff with punk roots. So many of their songs are Canadian classics. Like check out Left And Leaving, Plea From A Cat Named Virtute, Night Windows, Sun In An Empty Room, etc. He then released stuff just under his name, and his 2016 album Winter Wheat was one of my favourite records of that year.

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Propagandhi has put out a bunch of great albums since “ How to clean everything “ Bingopodcast definitely worth checking out all their albums .

one fun Propagandhi note is that Supporting Caste's cover art uses the famous painting The Triumph Off Miss Chief by Canadian painter Kent Monkman as the cover art.
The original painting (here: https://www.kentmonkman.com/painting/2007/the-triumph-of-mischief ) is 7 feet x 11 feet and has to be seen in person. It's owned by the National Gallery of Canada and shown often: https://www.gallery.ca/collection/artwork/the-triumph-of-mischief

Anyways, when I see Kent Monkman show up anywhere to give a talk, people are always bringing their Propagandhi vinyl to get signed.

#246 4 years ago

ahhhh I loved OpIvy so much

1 month later
#364 4 years ago

Just want to give a shout out to Bandcamp for one second. First, there is SO MUCH AMAZING MUSIC ON BANDCAMP.
Remember when you sifted through 7" bins and tried random stuff and found armloads of gems? That's what bandcamp is these days.
Bandcamp also passes 85% of the sale price on to the band, so buy from there and you're supporting your faves in a big way.

Plus, lossless FLAC download that isn't controlled by Spotify or Apple or whomever. Almost my entire music budget now goes through bandcamp.

#370 4 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

I can't get to their site from work.

Most work computers would ban any media / streaming sites, so check from your phone or at home.

11 months later
#605 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

The Bollweevils!

I just went and got their album because of this video.

#607 3 years ago

ex-Propagandhi member John K. Samson has been making folk songs forever, but his politics have never wavered from the punk rock days.
He released this single over the summer and for me it perfectly captures the zeitgeist of 2020.

so, not punk, but still essential.
John K. Samson - Fantasy Baseball At The End Of The World

purchase link: https://johnksamsonmusic.bandcamp.com/album/fantasy-baseball-at-the-end-of-the-world

#612 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Did you get History if the Bollweevils part1? It is very good, 25 songs compilation of their early stuff. I just listened to it again tonight, Still sounds great I can listen to it start to finish and like every song.

I got Stick Your Neck Out! from 1994
it's pretty great

According to the children of the bandmembers on youtube, they'll be re-recording Bottomless Pit. (the song from the video appearance)

1 year later
#889 1 year ago

the most vital punk will always be from the 16-22 year olds

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cait001.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-punk?tu=cait001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.