thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1703466731529 (resized).jpg
pbr (resized).jpg
IMG_8945.gif
IMG_20231021_115712 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115717 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115724 (resized).jpg
IMG_3835.gif
There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 24.
#251 4 years ago

The mighty, Radio Birdman!

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The Casualties were one of my favorite bands man I loved em. Underground Army was such a good album.
When I found out Jorge was a piece of shit rapist it was like gettin gut punched. I really took it badly. Quit listenin to them after that. How's the new guy?

Saw them at Punk Rock Bowling in Vegas this past May. Great show. New lead really fit in and plays up to the crowd. I didn’t know about Jorge, only that he’d been replaced. What always endured them to me is that the lead guitar and the rhythm section are so good. Was never big on bands with screeching lead singers, but it always worked with the Casualties.

#253 4 years ago

So much great stuff posted in this thread -

I'll throw in my 2 cents and include a list of killer punk/hardcore documentaries:

BOOM - a film about the Sonics
MC5: a true testimonial
Gimme Danger: the Stooges
Blank Generation:Birth of Punk- Early NY Punk
End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones
Punk Britannia - U.K. 1976-78 BBC doc
Don't You Wish That We Were Dead: THE DAMNED:
It's Everything and Then It's Gone: Early Akron OH (Devo etc.)
Descent Into the Maelstrom: Radio Birdman
STRANDED: The Saints
Great Australian Albums: The Saints '(I'm) Stranded
Distorted: Reflections on early Sydney Australia punk
There Is No Authority But Yourself - Crass
You Weren't There: Early Chicago Punk
Decline of Western Civilization: Early LA punk
The Unheard Music - X (LA)
Urban Struggle - documentary about the Cuckoo's Nest (SoCal punk/hardcore)
Clockwork Orange County: Early SoCal Punk
Another State Of Mind: Early SoCal Tour Doc (Social D/Youth Brigade)
Why Be Something That You Are Not: Michigan Hardcore (live, w/Misfits too)
My Career As A Jerk: Circle Jerks
We Jam Econo: Minutemen
Fresh Fruit For Rotting Eyeballs: Dead Kennedys
Salad Days: A Decade Of Punk In Washington, DC (1980-90)
ITALIAN PUNK HARDCORE 1980-1989
Filmage: Descendent/All
You Can Color Outside the Lines: Big Boys
All AGES - Boston Hardcore 1981-84

There are a MILLION more I'm sure I've missed, feel free to add to the list

#255 4 years ago

The Anti-Knowhere League:

The "A-Number-1-Band" in the Whole Wide World!

If you missed'ed in 1981, they're still kick'in in the doors in 2019.

#256 4 years ago

And it would NOT be proper to leave out Laibach:

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not long after I discovered the Sex Pistols, I found The Repo Man.
Holy fuck that soundtrack opened up a new world for me...

One of my favorite movies of all time with a great sound track. I haven't heard it in a while but "tv party" and "Institutionalized" come to mind. Some great movie quotes as well "Repo man is always intense" "I wasn't singing guy" and of course "Fuck a John Wayne". Harry Dean Stanton was the dude too.

#261 4 years ago

The Ex (1979 to now) - State of Shock from early 90s. This is powerful music.

#262 4 years ago

And here’s some footage of a Stark Raving Mad show in Houston in the mid-80s (with Naked Amerika at the end):

#263 4 years ago

Well, I really got into the Seeds, after the earlier post.
I have played Pushin too Hard over and over, and got into Sky Saxons career.

And this Psychedelic Video came up, which kinda blew my mind!

Does anyone know if the the Video cartoon is original to this recording, or is it.are they from another TV show?
Anyone have an Acid Flashback after watching this too?

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If you think the Seeds are far out....

#265 4 years ago

If any of you are still into punk, and you are familiar with torrents, I will suggest a torrent site that's almost all punk. Lots of live recordings by fans and some proshot for tv stuff. Many, many vintage shows. I do listen to punk still and I collect bootlegs. http://www.punktorrents.com

If you aren't familiar with audience shot video, or audience recorded audio, it's not usually top notch. This is not generally studio quality stuff. But since we seem to be from the same armpit of life, and listening to punk (now?), that some lack of quality fits right in with 'fuck the man'.

#266 4 years ago

Mainland Europeans added to the raucous side of things, such as...

Wretched from Italy:

Mob 47 from Sweden:

Bastards from Finland:

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have played Pushin too Hard over and over, and got into Sky Saxons career.
And this Psychedelic Video came up, which kinda blew my mind!
Does anyone know if the the Video cartoon is original to this recording, or is it.are they from another TV show?
Anyone have an Acid Flashback after watching this too?

With love from the DMT and mescaline-fueled Austin scene, here’s more flashback fuel for you. It’s gassy!

The Golden Dawn:

13th Floor Elevators (RIP Roky), possibly the best psychedelic song ever recorded:

(Sorry to threadcrap, but this stuff really was quite influential, maybe we need a psychedelic thread?)

#268 4 years ago

Here’s my favorite pinball photo...Joey Ramone playing Night Rider back in the late 70s. I’m also an old Minneapolis hardcore kid that played in bands and went to almost every local show back in the early to late 90s. Glad to see others in this hobby who came from the same background.

AD781D86-DA82-441A-8B03-213279629C41 (resized).jpegAD781D86-DA82-441A-8B03-213279629C41 (resized).jpeg
#269 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Does anyone know if the the Video cartoon is original to this recording,

It is not. It's a movie called fantastic planet. Great film. Spent many days tripping balls watching it. Lol

#270 4 years ago

On a separate note. Been into punk rock my whole life. Can't get enough. A bit on the poppy side of punk but I got this crappy tattoo when I was 17. Most people think it's a dog. Lol.

IMG_20190907_082325093 (resized).jpgIMG_20190907_082325093 (resized).jpg
#271 4 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

It is not. It's a movie called fantastic planet. Great film. Spent many days tripping balls watching it. Lol

Thank you! I knew I had seen some of this before! Parts were shown on the Video Wall at the Ritz in NY in the late 70s, before MTV or Videos...

Yup, the Ramones played lots of Pinball on the Island....Nathans in Westbury, and a small arcade in East Meadow.
They would play until people started bothering them....depends how trashed they were.

#272 4 years ago

Never got into punk.

Started playing guitar when I was about 12, in 1976, and my first guitar hero was Ace Frehley, then Eddie, Randy Rhoads, Schenker, Lynch and the other guitar hero's of the 80's. Thrash in the 90's, which I suppose has a similar attitude to punk. Anthrax, Exodus, Overkill, Slayer, Exciter, so many more. But basically, it had to have good guitar to me, especially lead guitar, something that inspired me to pick up my own guitar and try to play it - punk just never did that for me.

#273 4 years ago

The late 70's and early 80's while I was at U T Knoxville there was a punk joint called the U club. They had slamming and animal hour. That was 4 for one drinks. I heard a lot of new bands there.

The-Hard-Ons-30th-Anniversary-Generic-294x300 (resized).jpgThe-Hard-Ons-30th-Anniversary-Generic-294x300 (resized).jpg
#274 4 years ago

Im seeing the adicts and conflict soon, i can not wait.

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from SurlyOldPunk:

So much great stuff posted in this thread -
I'll throw in my 2 cents and include a list of killer punk/hardcore documentaries:
BOOM - a film about the Sonics
MC5: a true testimonial
Gimme Danger: the Stooges
Blank Generation:Birth of Punk- Early NY Punk
End of the Century: The Story of the Ramones
Punk Britannia - U.K. 1976-78 BBC doc
Don't You Wish That We Were Dead: THE DAMNED:
It's Everything and Then It's Gone: Early Akron OH (Devo etc.)
Descent Into the Maelstrom: Radio Birdman
STRANDED: The Saints
Great Australian Albums: The Saints '(I'm) Stranded
Distorted: Reflections on early Sydney Australia punk
There Is No Authority But Yourself - Crass
You Weren't There: Early Chicago Punk
Decline of Western Civilization: Early LA punk
The Unheard Music - X (LA)
Urban Struggle - documentary about the Cuckoo's Nest (SoCal punk/hardcore)
Clockwork Orange County: Early SoCal Punk
Another State Of Mind: Early SoCal Tour Doc (Social D/Youth Brigade)
Why Be Something That You Are Not: Michigan Hardcore (live, w/Misfits too)
My Career As A Jerk: Circle Jerks
We Jam Econo: Minutemen
Fresh Fruit For Rotting Eyeballs: Dead Kennedys
Salad Days: A Decade Of Punk In Washington, DC (1980-90)
ITALIAN PUNK HARDCORE 1980-1989
Filmage: Descendent/All
You Can Color Outside the Lines: Big Boys
All AGES - Boston Hardcore 1981-84

I bought out part of a record store years ago and ended up with lots of new music Dvds. A bunch you listed were in there and have since sold. Went thru the box after you posted and have only one punk dvd left. What's cool is in the middle of the prairies, Saskatchewan i have sold at least 10 dvds of punk bands at yard sales. Who'd have thought?

20190907_105408.jpg20190907_105408.jpg
#277 4 years ago

When my older bro was getting me into punk/hardcore/grunge these were two bands i liked. Probably more rock then punk but had to show these posters I found at a auction tommorow I'll be paying attention to.

34370303_1m.jpg34370303_1m.jpg34370304_1m.jpg34370304_1m.jpg
#278 4 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

On a separate note. Been into punk rock my whole life. Can't get enough. A bit on the poppy side of punk but I got this crappy tattoo when I was 17. Most people think it's a dog. Lol.[quoted image]

Screeching Weasel?

#279 4 years ago

These guys aren't really hardcore, but probably should have a pinball machine themed after them by now.

#280 4 years ago

Didn’t read thru all .. but ... this ..

C54CC7F8-737A-4B2C-86E3-D451C53FDC40 (resized).jpegC54CC7F8-737A-4B2C-86E3-D451C53FDC40 (resized).jpeg1F8E7FC7-502F-48F4-A9E4-09C33410D1A2 (resized).jpeg1F8E7FC7-502F-48F4-A9E4-09C33410D1A2 (resized).jpeg
#281 4 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

On a separate note. Been into punk rock my whole life. Can't get enough. A bit on the poppy side of punk but I got this crappy tattoo when I was 17. Most people think it's a dog. Lol.[quoted image]

Quoted from Cyrus:

Screeching Weasel?

Screeching weasel indeed

#282 4 years ago

This song came over the hard to get Pomona college radio station 86.7 FM The Space back in 1981. I'd twist antennas to get an hour of airplay.

#283 4 years ago

Ben Weasel streams on twitch quite a bit. His twitch channel is benweasel27. I've popped in and talked with him a few times. He's usually talking music with fans.

#284 4 years ago

Ramones pinball
Dirty donny art
Throwback bally 77 cabinet
Do it

#286 4 years ago

Nice list! Here are a few more:

The Clash: Westway to the World
The Filth and the Fury
Punk: Attitude
New York Doll
Looking for Johnny
Afro-Punk
Riot on the Dance Floor

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:A couple of my friends went to see The Damned, X, and Reverend Horton Heat a while back.
Talk about a throwback!

Damn.... talk about one of THE greatest bands of all time-- in any genre. I saw them in 1983 when I was in LOVE with Exene .... and of course that SOUND. No one sounds like X! AND I saw them again in 2017, and they STILL had it. Best show I've seen in the last 5 years. They are my absolute go-to whenever I get on a plane and need something to chill to.

I saw lots of other great punk bands live once I discovered the Sex Pistols in high school, circa 1977-- Butthole Surfers, Black Flag, Bad Brains, Replacements (early stuff), Iggy (i.e. God), Public Image, The Gun Club, New York Dolls, Meat Puppets, etc. etc.

#288 4 years ago

OK dudes... slow day at work this morning.

I got tired of clicking all the youtube links, so here is a Spotify playlist of 99% of the tracks (minus the goo goo dolls haha) called out so far in this thread, and a few of my own at the end. It's a collaborative playlist, so please feel free to follow it and it add some shit you love.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4grIdWEaiIRBwYXCrvn7ES?si=FKUCLqmQSg6mT6zpnMD_Uw

misfits-1700 (resized).jpgmisfits-1700 (resized).jpg
#289 4 years ago

Love Slapstick, The Broadways, The Lawrence Arms, Alkaline Trio, The Falcon, The Honor System, etc.

#290 4 years ago

It's not the same but with life & kids I still can't wait to take a weekend at Riot Fest & see some bands I didn't get to see before - & some I did. Maybe not as good of a lineup as several years ago, but good enough to have a good time. As for favorites, they've all been listed. I didn't see a ton live in the day & I'm not quite old enough to have seen any pioneers anyway. Combine that with loving ska at least as much as punk & I'll keep my band preferences to myself with the punk crowd

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

OK dudes... slow day at work this morning.
I got tired of clicking all the youtube links, so here is a Spotify playlist of 99% of the tracks (minus the goo goo dolls haha) called out so far in this thread, and a few of my own at the end. It's a collaborative playlist, so please feel free to follow it and it add some shit you love.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4grIdWEaiIRBwYXCrvn7ES?si=FKUCLqmQSg6mT6zpnMD_Uw[quoted image]

Very cool!

GODDAMIT - I hate spotify but.......I added a bunch of stuff to the playlist. Regional stuff (from shitifys limited selection) including early hardcore bands from Michigan, DC, Boston, NY, Chicago.

#292 4 years ago

GODDAMIT - I hate spotify but.......I added a bunch of stuff to the playlist. Regional stuff (from shitifys limited selection) including early hardcore bands from Michigan, DC, Boston, NY, Chicago.

LOL yeah same here, but has a better selection of the music I dig (mostly old man skate jams haha) vs. the others.

Loving the tracks you added, was hoping somebody would add more DC stuff... and huge bonus points for throwing on a DYS track!

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

LOL yeah same here, but has a better selection of the music I dig (mostly old man skate jams haha) vs. the others.
Loving the tracks you added, was hoping somebody would add more DC stuff... and huge bonus points for throwing on a DYS track!

HA- that DYS LP is an old fave... a little on the meathead side-but what early Boston hardcore wasn't. My old band got to play 3 shows on Dave Smalley's next band, Dag Nasty tour in 1986-ish

I'm an old dog and don't use a ton of modern tech/streaming sites for music- I've found Youtube has almost EVERYTHING i've every looked for. Thats saying a lot since I've collected records for 38 years....

#294 4 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Damn.... talk about one of THE greatest bands of all time-- in any genre. I saw them in 1983 when I was in LOVE with Exene .... and of course that SOUND. No one sounds like X!

It was 1980 or 81 when I saw X in or near Los Angeles. The Blasters opened. Trying to remember what venue, but I didn't drive and it wasn't one of the normal places. Both bands killed it.

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It was 1980 or 81 when I saw X in or near Los Angeles. The Blasters opened. Trying to remember what venue, but I didn't drive and it wasn't one of the normal places. Both bands killed it.

Wow..... that musta been one helluva show. I saw the Blasters in Atlanta in the 80's-- great f*%$king band!

#296 4 years ago

Here's some vintage X live. Quality recording from Decline.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

When my older bro was getting me into punk/hardcore/grunge these were two bands i liked. Probably more rock then punk but had to show these posters I found at a auction tommorow I'll be paying attention to.[quoted image][quoted image]

Touch and go and amrep always put out the best bands in the late 80’s early 90’s

#298 4 years ago

A great new band out of Japan:

#299 4 years ago

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Here's some vintage X live.

Before X formed, Billy Zoom played for Gene Vincent. His guitar playing really adds a cool rockabilly vibe to their sound.

There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-punk/page/6?hl=defdumblindkid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.