thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1703466731529 (resized).jpg
pbr (resized).jpg
IMG_8945.gif
IMG_20231021_115712 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115717 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115724 (resized).jpg
IMG_3835.gif
There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.
#201 4 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

I was in my mid-20's in the mid 80's and going to concerts was pretty much a hobby. The music scene had become pretty stale with most of the great bands from the 70's becoming washed up, and I couldn't get into the new "corporate" Rock Bands. A friend convinced me to go see Black Flag in '84 and it was over. The Dead Kennedys, X, Suicidal Tendencies, The Stranglers, Motorhead, etc. soon followed and the thought of going to see another run-of-the-mill (what is now considered) "Classic Rock" Band again made me cringe. And there were lots of local punk bands that were a blast as well.
Great Times!

5A12103F-132B-4823-9594-A60798AF5CAD (resized).jpeg5A12103F-132B-4823-9594-A60798AF5CAD (resized).jpeg
#202 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Propagandhi has put out a bunch of great albums since “ How to clean everything “ Bingopodcast definitely worth checking out all their albums .

one fun Propagandhi note is that Supporting Caste's cover art uses the famous painting The Triumph Off Miss Chief by Canadian painter Kent Monkman as the cover art.
The original painting (here: https://www.kentmonkman.com/painting/2007/the-triumph-of-mischief ) is 7 feet x 11 feet and has to be seen in person. It's owned by the National Gallery of Canada and shown often: https://www.gallery.ca/collection/artwork/the-triumph-of-mischief

Anyways, when I see Kent Monkman show up anywhere to give a talk, people are always bringing their Propagandhi vinyl to get signed.

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

My first punk show was the Goo Goo Dolls at a VFW Hall in Buffalo. True Story!

I worked with them at their studio in Buffalo and it always blew my mind how no one knows them as punkers!

#204 4 years ago

If it makes anyone feel better, the Circle Jerks are on a constant rotation at my arcade. Always makes me smile when someone notices; then I put on 'Pink Flag' by Wire.

#205 4 years ago

Could we please...

#206 4 years ago

I wanna give thumbs up to everyone here!

One of my faves!!!!

x (resized).jpgx (resized).jpg
#207 4 years ago

I've been digging the respect Agent Orange has been getting. I thought they might have just been a local forgotten entity by now.

#208 4 years ago

Cool thread
I have been a huge punk fan since I was about 12 back in 84.
It was skateboarding that really introduced me to it. As soon as I heard Black Flag at the ramp I was hooked. I skated at a very high level al the way until I was 17 and then I started getting into other things but the music has never left me.
To this day my playlist are full of it.
Growing up in the mid eighties right outside of Richmond VA to proved to be a really ideal situation.
We were really close to the DC /Dischord scene so those bands in that scene would regularly make it down to us and we had the Flood Zone which would put on all ages shows.
That was essential to an early teen because you didn’t have a chance in hell to sneak into a bar or pass a fake ID at that age.
The Flood Zone was great from 86- 95 I saw everyone from GBH,The Exploited at an all ages show all the way to the last complete version of the Ramones in my early 20s although I think even then Dee Dee might have been gone already doing some crazy rap thing or something.
I don’t think I will ever outgrow it or move on from it. It’s just something that is ingrained in me.
The biggest problem is finding something that is newer that you haven’t heard that still captures that certain feeling.
I can get up into about the mid 90s and then it seems to really fall off.
These are just some screenshots from today’s background music as I do this work.

CC5053E5-8D08-4EF6-B911-2497BAB9BD42 (resized).pngCC5053E5-8D08-4EF6-B911-2497BAB9BD42 (resized).pngBA9EA327-8F13-431F-9551-B8CA3ABF0531 (resized).pngBA9EA327-8F13-431F-9551-B8CA3ABF0531 (resized).png35BAEC00-9C69-4971-80AD-7E60B2550089 (resized).png35BAEC00-9C69-4971-80AD-7E60B2550089 (resized).png
#209 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Fuck. How could I forget about ...

Sad having this thread without Juggernauht. Wondering what he's up to these days

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/juggernaut

#210 4 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

The biggest problem is finding something that is newer that you haven’t heard that still captures that certain feeling.
I can get up into about the mid 90s and then it seems to really fall off.

I feel the same way. I also agree about Richmond being situated kind of ideally. A lot of great bands from DC and Richmond rotated through.

I saw GBH, but it was at Alley Katz many years after you saw them at the Flood Zone. Same general part of town, though.

Lots of shows at St. Edwards, Twisters, the Biograph and countless house shows that would almost always get broken up.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Could we please...

I loved most of their albums, from the first time I heard, "Do they owe us a living?". Big A, Little A was on most of my cassettes in the 90s.

Met Steve Ignorant briefly when he was touring with Stratford Mercenaries. Conflict was another big influence in my young life.

#211 4 years ago

#212 4 years ago

The Aussies had a lot to say too!

The Saints belong in the Class of '77 for sure:

Radio Birdman:

Early Midnight Oil:

#213 4 years ago

On my 18th birthday, saw the Ramones at the Bayou in DC. Welcome to adulthood.

#214 4 years ago
Quoted from ZombieKing:

On my 18th birthday, saw the Ramones at the Bayou in DC. Welcome to adulthood.

First time I saw them was this show. Poor New Yorkers got shit thrown at them and boood off the stage. Their own fault for playing extra sloppy that night. They made up for it next time around.
e4259cc6bb7b528eccb520de14c6a111 (resized).jpge4259cc6bb7b528eccb520de14c6a111 (resized).jpg

#215 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Let's not forget The Minutemen.

Definitely!

Don't forget fIREHOSE either!

(I agree this thread is a refreshing drink of water after slogging through all the teeth-gnashing threads we have had lately; Punk STILL has the power to unite people!)

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

I agree this thread is a refreshing drink of water after slogging through all the teeth-gnashing threads we have had lately; Punk STILL has the power to unite people!

Just like the old days it is also refreshing considering all the bands getting pinball machines now are what we had turned against because they had gotten bloated and old even back then.

The industry really needs to step up it's game. Or if it's all about the money, carry on...

#217 4 years ago

Hey o-din!

Stiff Little Fingers are on tour right now! Playing in ATL later in Sept or Oct.

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Conflict was another big influence in my young life.

Oh for sure

#219 4 years ago
Quoted from ZombieKing:

Hey o-din!

Stiff Little Fingers are on tour right now! Playing in ATL later in Sept or Oct.

I found out they still have a huge cult following.

Another band I saw live early 80s where the opening act got booood off the stage. They went on to do nothing. Missing Persons.

#220 4 years ago

Man, I'm old enough to be old but missed all the good stuff by at least 5 years. I hope this thread keeps going, it's better than any zine I've ever read.

Personally I'd love to hear some good tour stories from anybody that played in bands back in the day... the more unlawful the better, I'm sure the statute of limitations has passed by now

#221 4 years ago

Man, I'm old enough to be old but missed all the good stuff by at least 5 years.

There are some advantages to being age mid to late 50s. Including finally being old enough to date women in their 30s.

#222 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Let's not forget The Minutemen.

Was waiting to see if someone was going to mention them. Good call O-din!

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Smith:

Was waiting to see if someone was going to mention them. Good call O-din!

Double Nickels on the Dime was an amazing achievement.

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Double Nickels on the Dime was an amazing achievement.

It's that last album I bought on Vinyl, I played it once to record it and still have it to this day with only that one play on it.

#225 4 years ago

That album really put The Minutemen in a class by themselves.

Shame D. Boon had to die shortly thereafter, or who knows what they could have gone onto do.

#226 4 years ago

Punk started with "The Ramones" in my mind. Yeah, I'm 57
Toads Place ( small nightclub) in New Haven, CT in the early 80's

#227 4 years ago

The foundation had already been laid but I think the complete act started here. And yes I'm 57 too.

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The foundation had already been laid but I think the complete act started here. And yes I'm 57 too.

I agree the foundation was made back then but the Ramones took it to another level. There's an excellent documentary about the Ramones I saw a few years. Not sure if it's available anywhere. They are called "The Godfathers of Punk". Of course, just like pinball, everyone has their own opinion.

#229 4 years ago

Took me a little while to get into it, but leatherface is good

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from deluge:

If it makes anyone feel better, the Circle Jerks are on a constant rotation at my arcade. Always makes me smile when someone notices; then I put on 'Pink Flag' by Wire.

YES!!! Three Girl Rhumba!

#231 4 years ago

I saw The Ramones at a kegger in 1978 on their Road To Ruin tour. I was 13 years old at the time.

#232 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

I saw The Ramones at a kegger in 1978 on their Road To Ruin tour. I was 13 years old at the time.

Rocket to Russia?

#233 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

First time I saw them was this show. Poor New Yorkers got shit thrown at them and boood off the stage. Their own fault for playing extra sloppy that night. They made up for it next time around.
[quoted image]

Sabbath and The Ramones for $8.50? Man did I miss out.

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Rocket to Russia?

Must have been 1979 then. Definitely was the Road To Ruin tour. That was the first Ramones record I bought right when it came out; changed my musical life.

#235 4 years ago

All this talk got me excited. Just pulled the trigger on Stiff Little Fingers tickets in October. Sure, I’ll Uber down and avoid the mosh pit...

Saw the Buzzcocks when they came through a decade ago(?).

#236 4 years ago

Seeing Sweet tonight! Not punk, but damn good glam pop.

#237 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Sabbath and The Ramones for $8.50? Man did I miss out.

Yeah, Led Zeppelin at $10 the year before was a ripoff!

Quoted from pinballlife:

Seeing Sweet tonight! Not punk, but damn good glam pop.

The band that started me on the road to ruin. (see what I did there?)

#238 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Must have been 1979 then. Definitely was the Road To Ruin tour. That was the first Ramones record I bought right when it came out; changed my musical life.

I was sure when I saw them with Sabbath it was the Rocket to Russia tour but it was December 1978 and Road to Ruin was already out for a couple months.

Why is so much stuff from the 70s coming back so foggy now?

#239 4 years ago

Might as well keep the music going.

#240 4 years ago

This thread has a serious lack of Cock Sparrer

#241 4 years ago

I saw the Plasmatics at the Beach Theater sometime around 1981 or so.

#243 4 years ago

Caught a Vid that proclaimed the start of what would be Punk, was 1958!

The Phantom

and this:

#244 4 years ago

This thread has a serious lack of Cock Sparrer

And some

#245 4 years ago

And.

#246 4 years ago

ahhhh I loved OpIvy so much

#247 4 years ago

At some point I’ll have myself a punk themed game . My retheme of Dolly Parton to Subhumans. Drawing by hand so it’s taking me forever and I’ve got a bit much on plate now so I haven’t been able to work on this lately
But I get back to this soon just need to finish the 17 other things I’m working on .

16AFD2AB-2B83-4EE3-A363-AACAD303EF31 (resized).jpeg16AFD2AB-2B83-4EE3-A363-AACAD303EF31 (resized).jpeg
#248 4 years ago

That looks way cooler than Gottlieb's punk offering.

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

At some point I’ll have myself a punk themed game . My retheme of Dolly Parton to Subhumans. Drawing by hand so it’s taking me forever and I’ve got a bit much on plate now so I haven’t been able to work on this lately
But I get back to this soon just need to finish the 17 other things I’m working on .
[quoted image]

It should play some citizen fish too

#250 4 years ago

The Fullerton sound

There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-punk/page/5?hl=vectorgamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.