thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1703466731529 (resized).jpg
pbr (resized).jpg
IMG_8945.gif
IMG_20231021_115712 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115717 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115724 (resized).jpg
IMG_3835.gif
There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 24.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Jerry's boy that opened for Black Flag, is also, like his pops, EXTREMELY talented. So much talent in that family it makes me sick. All my dad gave me was alcoholism lol

Jerry's Kids. (I'm from Boston.)

#152 4 years ago

#153 4 years ago

If anyone wants 100% confirmation...

And you’re not gonna get it on Kaneda’s Pinball podcast...

But...

PABLO PICASSO WAS NEVER CALLED AN ASSHOLE!

Not in LA at any rate...

#154 4 years ago

I've got a...

#155 4 years ago

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I've got a...

Not exactly a public service message for punk. But having summered on the Jersey Shore for 20+ years, it’s true to form!

#157 4 years ago

Here's the A side of one of my favorite cassettes from back in the day, carefully recorded with a portable cassette player in front of the speakers. Perhaps the only punk cassette with a typed label (?), automatically undermining my cred.

Hardcore Side A (resized).JPGHardcore Side A (resized).JPG
#158 4 years ago

This has been the most positive thread on pinside in months.

Pinball manufacturers take note!

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The biggest difference between the two that I've noticed in 30 years, is that in a metal pit, dudes will (usually) help you up. In a punk pit, you better figure it out before the boots find you.

That is the exact opposite of my experience. Back in the day there was always someone to pick you up at a punk gig, and the thrash or metal shows, that helping had was rare. (Now days, there's not a helpin' hand anywhere, just a bunch of ego and posers.)

I wouldn't say they started anything, but MC5 is a great example of one of the many catalysts that started the scene/genre.

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Circa 1988.. this was the list of "rules"

Those aren't "rules"... They are merely suggestions, they are really meant to be followed. Kinda like a "No Skateboarding" sign, or like speed limits! :p

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Rodney Bingenheimer was the punk champion and a true visionary, but he wasn’t even the most popular personality on KROQ. And he wasn’t the best either.

He wasn't the best (entertaining) DJ, but he was the best at bringing new music to the masses. The volume of bands he either discovered/brought to the public attention/brought overseas is simply staggering.

................................................................................................................................

It's great that there are still bands putting in work to this day. I never thought that 40 years later, I'd still be able to see bands like The Vandals, Guttermouth, The Dwarves, Ten Foot Pole, Bad Religion, Agent Orange, or D.I. still rockin' with the same sound/attidude of the good old days growing up. Back then, the best of times were had skatein' to Shattered Faith, Social Distortion, Rich Kids on LSD, Fear, Anti-Heros, Vandals, X, Circle Jerks, The Exploited, SUBHUMANS, Black Flag, The Ramones, JFA, Bad Brains, The Faction, The Clash, Ill Repute, and D.O.A. just to name a few.

As for who started it... that all depends if you mean "punk" as the music style, the beat, the speed, the attitude, the irreverence, or even the fashion. The answer is different for each one and so I don't think anyone could really say any one band defined or started it, though one can easily come up with many that paved the way.

Here's a pic of my jacket from '82 growin' up in CA in the Valley:

1945 (resized).jpg1945 (resized).jpg
#161 4 years ago

Agent Orange was from Placentia, the next town over.

#162 4 years ago

Who are we kidding. Iggy Pop and The Ramones invented this shit. Or Iggy Pop invented this shit.

#163 4 years ago

I played guitar in one of the opening bands on this flyer.

88FCC11F-55DB-4235-8A71-F2791EE02F94 (resized).jpeg88FCC11F-55DB-4235-8A71-F2791EE02F94 (resized).jpeg
#164 4 years ago
Quoted from MrDucks:

I played guitar in one of the opening bands on this flyer.

They all have cool names.

#165 4 years ago

This was a standard flyer from our ghetto roller rink. Billy Barty got all the big acts at his.

Flyer (resized).jpgFlyer (resized).jpg
#166 4 years ago

Iggy and the Stooges, The Spits, GBH, The Clash, Black Flag, Misfits. So many good bands and so many that were pure shit.

#167 4 years ago

gbh was the shit, as was 7 seconds, minor threat, descendants, and cro mags. So many good bands back in the late 80's

Quoted from Spyder138:

Iggy and the Stooges, The Spits, GBH, The Clash, Black Flag, Misfits. So many good bands and so many that were pure shit.

#168 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This was a standard flyer from our ghetto roller rink. Billy Barty got all the big acts at his.[quoted image]

Yvonne O'Neal was beautiful....if you could look past the facial hair

#169 4 years ago

Lovin' this thread. So good to see names mentioned that bring back the memories.

Early nineties in Seattle, although grunge was the big thing, there were literally a million no-name subpop (and other) punk bands trying to make it too. Shows at the RKCNDY, SUOP, King Kat, Fenix Underground, OK Hotel, Croc, Back Room at the Sit & Spin, Gorilla Gardens, the Vogue. Tons of shit every day. Then, within 10-15 years, every single one of those venues was gone, along with the grit, grime and edge to the city. And I moved to Philadelphia.

Still remember.....

Actually walking out of Tad at the King Kat 15 minutes in to go buy ear plugs at the 7-11 (yes, the 7-11s sold ear plugs there) and going back for the rest. Ears still didn't stop ringing for 2 weeks.

Watching the lead singer of some unidentifiable band at the RKCNDY literally beat some guy off the stage with the Mic stand into the mosh pit. Don't touch me, Motherf$&#er!

And wondering at the time how you can take up 2 tracks in an album with only 3 seconds and 2 words:

All!
No, All!

#170 4 years ago

Man, did I relieve my late teens in dreams last night, after listening to these songs again!

My experience was predicated on 2 things. Moving back to NY in 1978, when it Was Disco or Punk, and trying to get Laid.
While the Punk movement was in full force in NY, it really wasnt full of hot looking Ladies. Mosh Pits at College were almost all guys.

So when a "lighter" movement in New Wave hit, the club scene changed, as well as the introduction of club made videos.
I confess. I gave up the harder stuff, for the social scene. Police first tour, Adam Ant, XTC....

18 year old Hormones won out!

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Smith:

Here's a pic of my jacket from '82 growin' up in CA in the Valley:[quoted image]

Thank god this will start the jacket phase of the thread! Let's throw them up!

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Iggy Pop invented this shit.

Have to agree. Although, hard to argue against MC5. Grew up on many of the bands posted here. Saw a bunch of them live when I was a teenager and this shit meant everything to me. Have to give a shout out to some locals....

#173 4 years ago

Check out the streaming service Night Flight Plus - they got a lot of punk material. I was a subscriber for a while.
https://www.nightflightplus.com

Check out New Wave Theater. A while ago someone had all the episodes on YouTube.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Who are we kidding. Iggy Pop and The Ramones invented this shit. Or Iggy Pop invented this shit.

MC5/Stooges/NY Dolls is where it started to really gel, but the mid-60s Garage era is where the Punk ethos was "invented".

The Sonics beat them all by a few years:

So did The Seeds:

#175 4 years ago

Any Marked Men fans? Seeing this band twice in one day at Chaos in Tejas in Austin TX was one of the great days for me.

#176 4 years ago

Punk is where I learned you sometimes have to put your body in the way if you want to stop the neo nazis / white supremacists in your city.

#177 4 years ago

Also, as far as Gottlieb tables go, it's a beast.

#178 4 years ago

Old enough to have been involved in the early Detroit/Ann Arbor punk and hardcore scene. Even though I read about punk in skateboard mags like Skateboarder, it was by accident that i got to see it up close an personal. First show was Negative Approach/Meatmen/Necros at endless summer skatepark in Roseville MI. I was fucking blown away and was immediately a "punk". I already had torn clothes from skateboarding - I convinced my mom to roughly chop my hair and got a pair of engineer boots for my birthday. a few of my friends were older and as soon as the got their drivers licenses, we were off and running to every punk show we could find out about, usually from flyers at records stores.

Some of the first real shows i went to were at the Freezer theater in Detroit. this was like THE punk and hardcore clubhouse in a shitty neighborhood on Cass ave. Saw so many cool shows there including Minor Threat plus all the Michigan bands like NA, Metamen, Youth Patrol, the McDonalds, Bored Youth etc. After that closed down there was other regular spaces like the Hungry Brain, City Club and the Graystone Hall. I was even lucky enough to be at the Why Be Something That You Are Not shows in Dearborn MI at a weird local access cable studio. It was put together by the goofballs that did Back Porch video, a local access cable punk show. The Misfits played as well as the Crucifucks, the Necros and almost all the bands listed above. See the shot of 15 year old me during the Negative Approach taping.

Around 1985, I started my own band. We played a ton of shows at the Graystone, Traxx, Blondies and other shithole clubs around Detroit. I've been active in bands up until recently. Once I was bitten by this crazy shit in 1981...I've never looked back.

NA 1982 (resized).pngNA 1982 (resized).png
#179 4 years ago

Nice shouts out to The Good Rats and Wendy o Williams.

Let’s not forget Richard Hell and The Dead Kennedy’s.

there is a holiday in Cambodia......

#180 4 years ago

I forgot to mention The Dirt Club in Bloomfield, NJ.

RIP. Johnny Dirt.

#181 4 years ago

Anyone remember The Rat in the late 70’s Boston?

#182 4 years ago

5095CBF2-0E11-47AF-A68E-F1B2748F7DC5 (resized).jpeg5095CBF2-0E11-47AF-A68E-F1B2748F7DC5 (resized).jpeg

#183 4 years ago

I grew up on mix of punk, hardcore and emo classics like Crass, Dead Kennedys, Fugazi, Cap n Jazz, Nation Of Ulysses. Was into the Canadian scene with Propagandhi.

After early teenage years I had moved on mostly to no-wave, post-punk, noise, doom metal. But every once in a while I still find something that sounds incredibly vital, like G.L.O.S.S.

#184 4 years ago

Any Bay Area love? I saw @bingopodcast mention some heavy hitters like Blatz, Filth, Econochrist and Spazz. 924 Gilman was huge for me growing up (still try and go when I can) here’s me holding the soundtrack for an excellent documentary “Turn it Around” that is well worth your time. The photos were for an Instagram contest for a test pressing, that’s why I’m cheesily holding a record in one (I won) the other is from when I was lucky enough to play there twenty years ago (ugh I’m old)

048B6CCB-F013-4103-985F-101E9D0D4C07 (resized).jpeg048B6CCB-F013-4103-985F-101E9D0D4C07 (resized).jpegDE3E0132-0E9E-4A00-A09E-A315649A5D32 (resized).jpegDE3E0132-0E9E-4A00-A09E-A315649A5D32 (resized).jpeg
#185 4 years ago

Oh man, Vision were the absolute best. Saw them many many many times. R.I.P. Dave

#186 4 years ago

Saw Rock and Roll High School in 1979 and was thereafter hooked. I’ve seen easily 1000’s of shows and each year alternate between going to the Rebellion Festival in Blackpool, England and the Punk Rock Bowling Festival in Las Vegas. Go to lots of local shows, saw the Queers two weeks ago. I’ve mentioned many times that I’d be all in on a Ramones pin.

8DF1E83F-94B5-4335-AB2C-10FB2325F1AD (resized).jpeg8DF1E83F-94B5-4335-AB2C-10FB2325F1AD (resized).jpeg
#187 4 years ago

I haven't listened to much outside of How to Clean Everything, but I really enjoyed them when I was younger. I should give another listen.

Quoted from practicalsteve:

Any Bay Area love? I saw @bingopodcast mention some heavy hitters like Blatz, Filth, Econochrist and Spazz.

I find punk fascinating in that I was about as far removed from the Bay Area as you could possibly be and still be in the US, yet I heard about and made sure all my friends heard these bands. I did a lot of checking the indie label that published whatever record I was looking at at a show or in the shop, and tended to pick something up if, say, I agreed with a band on Ebullition, I'd try to branch out and see other bands on that label too.

As a totally broke punk kid, split 7"s were worth their weight in gold. Friends and I would go see a band, spend all but $10 and try to nab a split. That's how I found Los Crudos and Spitboy, Blatz and Filth.

First punk song I learned to play on guitar was Fuk Shit Up.

Anyone like Civil Disobedience? I played that 7" until there was nothing left.

#188 4 years ago

New York Dolls
The Cramps
Buzzcocks
The Stooges
Ramones
Sex Pistols

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

I haven't listened to much outside of How to Clean Everything, but I really enjoyed them when I was younger. I should give another listen.

Propagandhi are great, and people seem to really like their more recent stuff too though I mostly just followed them in the 1990s.

John K. Samson of Propagandhi started a folky side project called Weakerthans in 1997 and that is an incredible trove if you're into singer-songwriter kind of folk/country stuff with punk roots. So many of their songs are Canadian classics. Like check out Left And Leaving, Plea From A Cat Named Virtute, Night Windows, Sun In An Empty Room, etc. He then released stuff just under his name, and his 2016 album Winter Wheat was one of my favourite records of that year.

#190 4 years ago

I was in my mid-20's in the mid 80's and going to concerts was pretty much a hobby. The music scene had become pretty stale with most of the great bands from the 70's becoming washed up, and I couldn't get into the new "corporate" Rock Bands. A friend convinced me to go see Black Flag in '84 and it was over. The Dead Kennedys, X, Suicidal Tendencies, The Stranglers, Motorhead, etc. soon followed and the thought of going to see another run-of-the-mill (what is now considered) "Classic Rock" Band again made me cringe. And there were lots of local punk bands that were a blast as well.

Great Times!

#191 4 years ago
#192 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Thank god this will start the jacket phase of the thread! Let's throw them up!

I spent countless hours crafting mine my junior year of hs. Wore it to a house party at IU and in true punk fashion, somebody stole it.

#193 4 years ago

Man. I'll be spendin all day checkin out some of these bands y'all have graciously thrown up. A lot of em I've never heard.
That's why I started this thread.
I'd say thank you, but that wouldn't be very punk. So in honor of Hank Von Hell playing Indy tonight I'll go with this

Hank-Von-Hell-800x600 (resized).jpgHank-Von-Hell-800x600 (resized).jpg
#194 4 years ago

There was a time in the late 70s when all that extra hair became dead weight. This dude was one of the first in school to lose his.

mikeness1 (resized).jpgmikeness1 (resized).jpg
#195 4 years ago

NW punk rocker in the house! Upcoming fall shows: Misfits, Strung Out and The Casualties, Off With Their Heads!

An all-time fav is the Clash! I even have a "London Calling" Tattoo!

#196 4 years ago

I saw The Clash twice. First album is very punk.

#197 4 years ago

The Casualties were one of my favorite bands man I loved em. Underground Army was such a good album.
When I found out Jorge was a piece of shit rapist it was like gettin gut punched. I really took it badly. Quit listenin to them after that. How's the new guy?

#198 4 years ago

In high school in the 80s, I was more of a metal head, then I heard The Descendents. They opened my eyes a bit, and are now one of my favorite bands. So much so that I'm playing in a Descendents cover band currently.

#199 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

Propagandhi are great, and people seem to really like their more recent stuff too though I mostly just followed them in the 1990s.
John K. Samson of Propagandhi started a folky side project called Weakerthans in 1997 and that is an incredible trove if you're into singer-songwriter kind of folk/country stuff with punk roots. So many of their songs are Canadian classics. Like check out Left And Leaving, Plea From A Cat Named Virtute, Night Windows, Sun In An Empty Room, etc. He then released stuff just under his name, and his 2016 album Winter Wheat was one of my favourite records of that year.

Propagandhi has put out a bunch of great albums since “ How to clean everything “ Bingopodcast definitely worth checking out all their albums .

#200 4 years ago

Let's not forget The Minutemen.

There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-punk/page/4?hl=ltrain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.