thumbnail_image0 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1703466731529 (resized).jpg
pbr (resized).jpg
IMG_8945.gif
IMG_20231021_115712 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115717 (resized).jpg
IMG_20231021_115724 (resized).jpg
IMG_3835.gif
There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.
#1 4 years ago

With a nod to my buddy Swampfire who started the "Let's talk about Metal" thread, let's talk about the other greatest genre: punk rock.
I know there are some old school heavy hitters on Pinside: VID1900, o-din, SILVERBALLER, TheLaw, GorillaBiscuits, Jjsmooth and many more, that have lived through the beginnings of the "fuck you" movement so let's open that can of worms and start there.
I've heard some harken way back to Link Wray and the Wraymen as the godfathers of punk.
But in my opinion, it was the MC5 and Detroit's Wayne Kramer that gave birth to the bastard with "Kick out the Jams" in the mid 1960's.
Who wants to be a punk and argue?!
Punk rock and pinball truly go hand-in-hand, maybe even more so than metal.
The biggest difference between the two that I've noticed in 30 years, is that in a metal pit, dudes will (usually) help you up. In a punk pit, you better figure it out before the boots find you. I LOVE IT!
Let's hear yer most loved and most hated; from smelly crust, to Oi!, to DC heavyweights and everything in between...
Sid Vicious might be but...
PUNK'S NOT DEAD.
920x920 (resized).jpg920x920 (resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

My first punk show was the Goo Goo Dolls at a VFW Hall in Buffalo. True Story!

#3 4 years ago

I'm ready for ya buddy!

#4 4 years ago

#5 4 years ago

And Darby!

#6 4 years ago

Decline of Western Civilization. Your one stop shop!

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The biggest difference between the two that I've noticed in 30 years, is that in a metal pit, dudes will (usually) help you up.

STRONGLY disagree LOL. FIGHT!

#8 4 years ago

Most of us have some musical moments burned into our brain. The 1st time I heard Led Zeppelin and the first time I heard Slayer really stand out for me.
But when I was 13 I was at the mall, with my church youth group for a scavenger hunt. Me and my buddy blew that shit off and headed to Camelot Music. I found a Sex Pistols tape and bought it just because it said sex on it.
LIFE CHANGER right there.
I. Was. Hooked.
Most dudes in eighth grade had hot chicks and mirrors in their lockers. I had the Sex Pistols, top to bottom.
Never forget!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The 1st time I heard Led Zeppelin

The first time I heard punk, we burned all our Led Zeppelin shit.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The first time I heard punk, we burned all our Led Zeppelin shit.

LOL
I was doing homework in my room in 5th grade (1985) when Whole Lotta Love came on the radio. I was frozen.

#11 4 years ago

Damn guess I’m too new, I jam to some Flipper and my favorite band in that vein is Unsane.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I found a Sex Pistols tape and bought it just because it said sex on it.

DUDE. SAME haha. Except in my case it was a shirt.

#13 4 years ago

For newer stuff, you can’t beat Pup.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Decline of Western Civilization. Your one stop shop!

The bible right there.

#15 4 years ago

For a moment I thought this Punk.

tn_image-12 (resized).jpgtn_image-12 (resized).jpg
#16 4 years ago

Punk is a lot like pinball, you don't have to be a good player to have a good time.

#17 4 years ago

Goddamit Civ I knew I was forgettin somebody special. Edited op to accommodate my NJ brother from another syphilis infected mother.

#18 4 years ago

WHO STARTED PUNK?

#19 4 years ago

Circa 1988.. this was the list of "rules" at the glorious shithole where I saw all my first shows. It was the perfect mix of punks, metalheads, and hardcore kids. Also, I was definitely given a bloody nose by a few girls in the pit.

1396724_10201593937443645_1864039762_o (resized).jpg1396724_10201593937443645_1864039762_o (resized).jpg
#20 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

My first punk show was the Goo Goo Dolls at a VFW Hall in Buffalo. True Story!

Well in the trve spirit of this thread, you'll be happy to know that I accidentally wound up 1st row for them circa 1999, and booed them the whole fucking show. I thought we were gonna fight. Until they had security haul me off. Haha.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

LOL
I was doing homework in my room in 5th grade (1985) when Whole Lotta Love came on the radio. I was frozen.

Goddamnit Glenn I was also in the 5th grade in 1985, and you're old as fuck. FUCK, I'M OLD!!!!

#22 4 years ago

I've been punched in pits more times by females than males, FOR NO APPARENT REASON LOL. What gives? Glad it's not just corn fed Indiana lol.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

With a nod to my buddy Swampfire who started the "Let's talk about Metal" thread, let's talk about the other greatest genre: punk rock.
I know there are some old school heavy hitters on Pinside; VID1900, o-din, SILVERBALLER, and many more, that have lived through the beginnings of the "fuck you" movement so let's open that can of worms and start there.
I've heard some harken way back to Link Wray and the Wraymen as the godfathers of punk.
But in my opinion, it was the MC5 and Detroit's Wayne Kramer that gave birth to the bastard with "Kick out the Jams" in the mid 1960's.
Who wants to be a punk and argue?!
Punk rock and pinball truly go hand-in-hand, maybe even more so than metal.
The biggest difference between the two that I've noticed in 30 years, is that in a metal pit, dudes will (usually) help you up. In a punk pit, you better figure it out before the boots find you. I LOVE IT!
Let's hear yer most loved and most hated; from smelly crust, to Oi!, to DC heavyweights and everything in between...
Sid Vicious might be but...
PUNK'S NOT DEAD.[quoted image]

Yay Grizz! What. Great topicM

When you said “silverballer” I’m pretty sure you didn’t mean me, but I lived through it, peripherally at any rate. I wasn’t a true punk at Huntington Beach High School in 1979, but in retrospect I wish I had been. There’s a reason that slam dancing in SoCal was called the “HB Strut”. The Circle Jerks were HB’s own, and the Cuckcoos Nest was Punk nirvana (immortalized in the Vandals “Pat Brown” and other songs). Shit got busy in Orange County!

Growing up in SoCal in the late 70’s early 80’s was a trip. Punk and New Wave became everything, and yet KMET and KLOS Classic Rock still ruled the airwaves. Thank god my crew and I had KROQ and soon after, KNAC. It was a daily ritual. Rodney Bingenheimer was the punk champion and a true visionary, but he wasn’t even the most popular personality on KROQ. And he wasn’t the best either.

Punk music brought honesty back to rock and roll. Ironic, considering that the Pistols were basically a fabricated band (from Malcom McLRens standpoint, clearly not the band’s) and yet they were best punk band fucking EVER! I find it amusing that heavy metal from that era still commands such respect, when it was Punk that really saved rock and roll. Hair metal was a simple chick/money magnet reaction to punk. It was easy pickings, for a lot of mediocre, uninspired musicians to capitalize on a music scene filled with puritans that could care less about money and fame. What a shame.

Personally, I loved X and the Crass and Black Flag and most of the LA bands. It’s a time that can never be duplicated. A true milestone in music history.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Well in the trve spirit of this thread, you'll be happy to know that I accidentally wound up 1st row for them circa 1999, and booed them the whole fucking show. I thought we were gonna fight. Until they had security haul me off. Haha.

Nice. But dude... back then they were like an actual edgy punk band. What a batshit crazy transformation.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I wasn’t a true punk at Huntington Beach High School in 1979, but in retrospect I wish I had been.

Man, I'm so fucking jealous of people that got to spend their formative years in the SoCal late 70's / early 80's scene. Truly gnarly and dangerous times

#26 4 years ago

Nice. But dude... back then they were like an actual edgy punk band. What a batshit crazy transformation.

Not sure I believe you. Guess I'll take yer word for it lol

#27 4 years ago

In the neighborhood I grew up in, there really wasn't any choice in the matter.

agent orange (resized).jpgagent orange (resized).jpg20160724_055637_43 (resized).png20160724_055637_43 (resized).pngIMG_0009 (resized).jpgIMG_0009 (resized).jpg
#28 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Not sure I believe you. Guess I'll take yer word for it lol

Dude, I'm not going to bring those posers up anymore after this in a punk conversation, but I'll just leave this here

#29 4 years ago

Yay Grizz! What. Great topicM
When you said “silverballer” I’m pretty sure you didn’t mean me, but I lived through it, peripherally at any rate. I wasn’t a true punk at Huntington Beach High School in 1979, but in retrospect I wish I had been. There’s a reason that slam dancing in SoCal was called the “HB Strut”. The Circle Jerks were HB’s own, and the Cuckcoos Nest was Punk nirvana (immortalized in the Vandals “Pat Brown” and other songs). Shit got busy in Orange County!
Growing up in SoCal in the late 70’s early 80’s was a trip. Punk and New Wave became everything, and yet KMET and KLOS Classic Rock still ruled the airwaves. Thank god my crew and I had KROQ and soon after, KNAC. It was a daily ritual. Rodney Bingenheimer was the punk champion and a true visionary, but he wasn’t even the most popular personality on KROQ. And he wasn’t the best either.
Punk music brought honesty back to rock and roll. Ironic, considering that the Pistols were basically a fabricated band (from Malcom McLRens standpoint, clearly not the band’s) and yet they were best punk band fucking EVER! I find it amusing that heavy metal from that era still commands such respect, when it was Punk that really saved rock and roll. Hair metal was a simple chick/money magnet reaction to punk. It was easy pickings, for a lot of mediocre, uninspired musicians to capitalize on a music scene filled with puritans that could care less about money and fame. What a shame.
Personally, I loved X and the Crass and Black Flag and most of the LA bands. It’s a time that can never be duplicated. A true milestone in music history.

THIS!
I wanna hear from you badasses that lived through this shit! Thank you Family Arcade!

#30 4 years ago

Man, I'm so fucking jealous of people that got to spend their formative years in the SoCal late 70's / early 80's scene. Truly gnarly and dangerous times

Thanks man. It’s true. I grew up in Disneyland. Three blocks away from PCH (and the HB pier) with Hollywood 45 minutes away and the best looking chicks ever and the world at my fingertips. There a good reason why I behave like such an entitled ass around here. I grew up in paradise.

Ask Odin, he’s still there!

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

THIS!
I wanna hear from you badasses that lived through this shit! Thank you Family Arcade!

Let me collect my memories. They are 40 years removed (holy shit!), but I saw some really cool shit, and I’ll report on it! So happy you created this thread. I’m feeling younger posting in it!

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

THIS!

Yo, I still play Submission every gig. I don’t play as many as I used to, but Submission always surfaces!

#33 4 years ago

OK so what did I do after I discovered punk? In the 8th grade I started a band called "Free Cheese". That's me in the sweet Minor threat shirt. I "played" drums but had no idea how to. We played exactly one show, and since I couldn't figure out how to hold a beat I played with one drum stick and wore a hand puppet of Animal from the Muppets on the other.

578937_10150975701473315_363159848_n (resized).jpg578937_10150975701473315_363159848_n (resized).jpg
#34 4 years ago

Was never super into the West Coast punk scene besides a couple here and there. I mean Angry Somoans - Back From Samoa is a top notch all timer right there.
Unless you count Fear as a west coast band...which you could debate, but I don't.

As I've said before, getting dropped off in Detroit when you're 13 to see the Cro-Mags was a bit dicey....but that's the 80s!

#35 4 years ago

Let me collect my memories. They are 40 years removed (holy shit!), but I saw some really cool shit, and I’ll report on it! So happy you created this thread. I’m feeling younger posting in it!

DO IT.

#36 4 years ago

Cuckcoos Nest was Punk nirvana (immortalized in the Vandals “Pat Brown” and other songs)

Cuckoo's Nest shared the same parking lot with Zubie's. Where we can check out the cowboy scene.

#37 4 years ago

So happy you created this thread. I’m feeling younger posting in it!

Man I've been thinkin about startin this thread, with this title, for YEARS. Might be my last night drinkin for awhile, so I figured, why the fuck not.
The perfect matrimony of the two and my absolute favorite band of all time are playin here next Tues. Haven't missed them in 6 years. Must. Find. Way.

#38 4 years ago

I wasn’t a true punk at Huntington Beach High School in 1979, but in retrospect I wish I had been.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#39 4 years ago

the punk scene in Iowa City circa 1980-2000. So many good bands came through this little one horse town.....Amelia's, Gabe's Oasis, Central Tavern, The Crow's Nest/Dubuque St Brewing Co hosted some epic performances. Husker Du, Savage Republic, Soul Asylum, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Flaming Lips, Redd Kross, Superchunk, Killdozer, Mudhoney, TAD, Blood Circus, Giant Sand, Stereolab.....I'm just scraping the surface.

#40 4 years ago

BUTTHOLE SURFERS!!!!!!!!!!

#41 4 years ago

Was lucky enough to live 25 minutes away from a "venue" called the Jockey Club in Newport, that supported great bands like DK's, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, etc. Oil cans of Fosters, sweaty nights.
Saw them all, lived for that music..
My son's band just opened for Black Flag last month. Really just Greg Ginn and some skateboard dudes, but I was a happy guy.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

The bible right there.

I still see one of my buddies in his green striped shirt moshing away!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

My son's band just opened for Black Flag last month. Really just Greg Ginn and some skateboard dudes, but I was a happy guy.

You raised him right!!!!

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Was never super into the West Coast punk scene besides a couple here and there. I mean Angry Somoans - Back From Samoa is a top notch all timer right there.
Unless you count Fear as a west coast band...which you could debate, but I don't.
As I've said before, getting dropped off in Detroit when you're 13 to see the Cro-Mags was a bit dicey....but that's the 80s!

Fuck. How could I forget about TheLaw/my Cro Mags lovin bruv n my opening post? Apologies. Must be the plastic cups rottin my brain
Have a feelin yer not the last either. Lotta Pinside punks!

#45 4 years ago

The Faction one of my favorite bands.

#46 4 years ago

Also: adding everybody in this thread to my list of cool people to buy/sell/trade with. Punk rock is the best secret fraternity of all time.

#47 4 years ago

Riot at Gorilla Gardens in Seattle, circa 1986. Cops try to shut down show right when the Circle Jerks are taking the stage. Things got out of hand fast....cars flipped over and started on fire, tons of vandalism in the neighborhood. Knarliest scene I've ever witnessed.

#48 4 years ago

A couple of my friends went to see The Damned, X, and Reverend Horton Heat a while back.

Talk about a throwback!

#49 4 years ago

Can someone explain to me how the hell in a post earlier someone considered the goos punk?

No NOfX? Bad religion? Anyone? At least no one said green day or blink 182...

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Can someone explain to me how the hell in a post earlier someone considered the goos punk?

No NOfX? Bad religion? Anyone? At least no one said green day or blink 182...

I don't know. But I've got this instead.

A-459342-1474033761-9845.png (resized).jpgA-459342-1474033761-9845.png (resized).jpg
There are 1,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/let-s-talk-about-punk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.