(Topic ID: 251001)

Let's talk about operator responsibility and League play ......

By golfingdad1

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by wmanningiv
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

83670ACD-436E-4A24-9932-3CD0F98FA4AF (resized).png

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 months ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Maybe it was the end of a contractual thing or something.

No, they just weren't earning. The op just gave up.

LTG : )

#52 5 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No, they just weren't earning. The op just gave up.

I'm sorry but... If that had been me I still would've left em there to squeeze those last few plays out of them.

#53 5 months ago

If I may make another suggestion. Who ever is running the league or event at a location. Let that person be the voice for issues that need to be addressed, especially if that person and the operator have a good working relationship.

Don't bombard the operator with twenty people complaining about many things. Keep it organized to what actually needs to be fixed, so the operator is inclined to take care of problems.

Through the years I've seen players that aren't as good as they think they are and always complain about something. That switch don't work, that doesn't work. That isn't right. I've learned when I get one of these to take a pen and paper and make a note of it and let them know I'll fix it when I get a chance. After they leave I toss the note. I know there isn't anything wrong with the game. If your group has one of these people, try and keep them away from the op. Don't drive the op crazy with things that do work. The op will be thankful, and have more time and inclination to fix things that really need fixing.

#54 5 months ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'm sorry but... If that had been me I still would've left em there to squeeze those last few plays out of them.

You may have.

The op in question had near a two hour drive to collect $20 to $30 a week out of eight pins. And split with the location. He'd been thinking of pulling them for some time and that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Though I do think he could have let the person that called him know that the games were no longer there.

#55 5 months ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If I may make another suggestion. Who ever is running the league or event at a location. Let that person be the voice for issues that need to be addressed, especially if that person and the operator have a good working relationship.
    Don't bombard the operator with twenty people complaining about many things. Keep it organized to what actually needs to be fixed, so the operator is inclined to take care of problems.
    Through the years I've seen players that aren't as good as they think they are and always complain about something. That switch don't work, that doesn't work. That isn't right. I've learned when I get one of these to take a pen and paper and make a note of it and let them know I'll fix it when I get a chance. After they leave I toss the note. I know there isn't anything wrong with the game. If your group has one of these people, try and keep them away from the op. Don't drive the op crazy with things that do work. The op will be thankful, and have more time and inclination to fix things that really need fixing.

#56 5 months ago

How we handle this type of situation on our route is simple. Schedule tech time for each site based on how much play there is. At one of our better sites we have 3 tech days per 14 days. Issues arise and we try to make some unexpected visits but ultimately our schedules are so tight we can only do so much. As another back up, we keep shopped out pins in our break room and if a game goes down we have our delivery guys switch them out. We really do as much as possible but there is only so much resources we can put into route games. We listen to our locations and what they think is best but we can't always give them everything they want. Either way most people on here and in our areas say we run a clean route. We could always be better, we strive for perfection but results are very good not quite flawless.

#57 5 months ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Whatchoo talkin’ about? All my machines at home work 100% at all times. Other than the brief time it may take to order a part and repair them.

Yes, my machines work 100% when I am the only player in my home but when host a pinball meeting, 30 to 40 people come to my home and keep playing my pinball machines for 6+ hours nonstop. In this case it is hard to make sure everything works 100% after the first 4 hours. I had machines need to be turned off and took the glass off to adjust a few switches. At the end, it is worth the effort because I like to see all the pinball players left with happy faces.

#58 5 months ago

If the operator is somehow involved in the league organization as the original post suggests, I absolutely expect the games to be operating 100% at the start of a match. Regarding leagues involving locations with offsite operators, the expectations are certainly lower but I do expect a majority of game features to operate within reason. Issues will always come up during play that may occasionally disqualify or change the dynamics of a game, but unless it's the same issue occurring week after week with half-assed patchwork fixes, I think most players are understanding. That said, I think players are certainly aware and take note of the condition of machines and responses of operators, and their success as a venue and coin drop on non-league nights reflects this.

Personally, when I go out to play, I will only go to a location with an on-site operator or tech because I know those locations are well taken care of and capably managed. Too often where I live locations with 1-4 games are poorly maintained with issues that make dropping a dollar in the game a gamble. In the finals of our bar league last season our teams had to reschedule our match because all four games at our play location had some game-breaking issue that disqualified it from play. Some were as simple as (multiple) stuck balls, but without someone on site to open the game or make a quick adjustment, there isn't much that players can do to correct the issue.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 30.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 160.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Lit Frames
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 4.00
    Electronics
    Z-connector (24 pin) Out of stock
    Professor Pinball
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    £ 70.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside