6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 167 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 78 days ago by JohnnyPinball007
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2C4A6755-F413-404E-90B9-A2D9D2B85915 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0693 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 months ago

Alternative has been around about as long as rock itself and I always listened to as much as I could find.

However in the post grunge days of the mid 90s, a new wave of alternative burst upon the scene spearheaded buy a few older bands and many new ones and that wave is still alive and thriving today.

This thread is about the modern era of alt rock, bands and music that fill modern festivals like Coachella and fuel our fire.

I'm going to start it off with an oldie but a goody. Can you name that pinball machine?

#2 6 months ago

Something a tad newer.

#3 6 months ago

Wow, I must have hit upon the heart and soul of pinside with this thread. lol

Let's see if anyone in this arena remembers this one.

#5 6 months ago

It is a title that does group a lot of different kinds of music together. Different kinds of music that can sometimes all be grouped together on certain radio stations and at some of the larger festivals of today. Where fans can enjoy the variety.

#9 6 months ago

For me, it was the soundtrack and backdrop of the great decade that was the 90s and on into the 2000s. And really it still is today. A big surge happened about 5-10 years ago with a lot of new talent.

Don't get to shows much anymore, but love watching those huge festivals they show on mtv live channel. And smaller shows like Guitar Center sessions.

#11 6 months ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Here’s a good one.

My 21 year old daughter's favorite band and has seen them live several times now. Hard to believe how long they have been around and still are very relevant today with an amazing and energetic live show.

#12 6 months ago

One of my favorites from a few years ago. Gets me everytime it comes on the radio.

Life's too short to even care at all.. whoa oh...

#17 6 months ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I really like most of Muse's stuff. Hysteria by them is pretty hard to beat.

Love em or hate em, they fill huge arenas around the world.

#21 6 months ago

#28 6 months ago

#31 6 months ago

#33 6 months ago

Guess we should include some Foster the People. First time I heard this I tought it was a girl singing. lol. Can't believe it is 8 years old now.

#36 6 months ago

#38 6 months ago
#42 6 months ago

Look at young Johnny Marr!^^^^

#51 6 months ago

Just heard these on the way home. Always good driving music.

#57 6 months ago

Now if Iceman can put down his Kiss and Aerosmith albums, we can have us a real party!

#58 6 months ago

Wow! Not that I keep track, but two thumbs down for Smashing Pumpkins even on Halloween. Some people are just no fun.

#67 6 months ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Sorry man that was me. I think Billy Corgan is a whiny bitch and Anthony Kiedis is a douche bag. Everything else is fucking great, especially that Ween above.

You've got that right! At least I didn't break out the Creed, and lord help us if anybody does.

#68 6 months ago

#72 6 months ago
Quoted from schwarz:

The talking heads are amazing, my fave:

I saw the Talking Heads and English Beat at the Greek Theatre 10 days after Remain in Light was released. I had been playing the first three albums. An so did they along with the new one.

It's all related so I guess some historical music is in order. Gryszzz is gonna love this one.

#74 6 months ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I love watching Dave G. on the drums so much, my fave since Bonham.

#75 6 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Goddamnit you dick that's just cruel.
I went into it all flyin.
Then I heard that reggae scratch.
Like a nutshot LOWBLOW WITH THE SKA DUDE

Sorry Gryszzz. I had actually pasted the wrong song but same album.

#77 6 months ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

FOOL ME ONCE...

If you don't know The English Beat, then it's too late to teach ya! Dave Wakeling hung out with us at the bar in between sets while he was playing with General Public at China Beach in San Clemente. Real cool dude. I asked him where his partner Ranking Roger was. He said sulking back in England somewhere.

#82 6 months ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

We knew them in Australia as "The British Beat" as per my original album I still have.
General public had a few good tracks on their first album too, the 2nd album was terrible.

There was another band around called The Beat, so they did that. Saw them several times live. Always a fun time.

Yep, first GP album wasn't bad nor was Special Beat Service or Whappen.

Still like the first one the best, and yes I too still have my original vinyl copy.

#95 6 months ago

This is how high I am on Halloween.

#97 6 months ago

I can only think of one place I'd rather be.

#109 6 months ago

#110 6 months ago

#113 6 months ago

This is called "Apartment" performed by Young The Giant.

#115 6 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Vampire Weekend
LTG : )

We aim to please

#121 6 months ago
Quoted from romulusx:

You know they say,kids keep you young I love alternative rock.All three of my sons exposed me to a
new influx of music because of the age spacing.I went from Chili Peppers to Muse to Young the Giant
with the youngest son.Music is the one thing we could always talk about!I grew up with Zeppelin and
other great bands but I love alternative

I followed a similar path. Listened to Zep in the 70s, than punk and new wave, back to metal in the mid 80s, then alternative again during the 90s. We have several good stations that play a variety. I had Sirius radio up until a few years ago and Alt Nation was the best.

When my daughter was younger we bonded while driving around listening to it and she is still a big fan as well. Last weekend when she was up she said this one is coming up on her playlist quite often.

Trojans by Atlas Genius. I always liked this song too.

#123 6 months ago

When my daughter was 9, I talked her into riding Space Mountain for the first time. I told her it was now or never with this version. I had no idea her love affair with the Red Hot Chili Peppers would start that day. Steve Wonder would be proud.

#127 6 months ago

Just got back from the flu shot thread. Might be a good time to hit the Panic Switch.

#131 6 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

This is one I rather enjoyed in my youth in the 80s but at the time didn’t realize it was “alternative”. Love this song by Pete Shelly, we are all Homosapians, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I'll see your homosapians and raise you one homicide.

#136 6 months ago
Quoted from AlexZander:

Death Cab For Cutie

Used to hear this one almost every time I went to Beverly Hills to see my pinball buddy Don. Including once while driving down Beverly Drive. Strange coincidence they also would play the Weezer song too.

#137 6 months ago

I'm going to share my favorite eargasm song before I head off to watch football.

Cheers!

#141 6 months ago

I was going to head off and watch football, but looks like somebody turned the clock back an hour while I was passed out. lol.

I guess we can squeeze in some Metric.

#144 6 months ago

Nobody has mentioned yet that the bass player resembles the insurance lady Flo.

#148 6 months ago

Meanwhile in another thread they are discussing which 30-40 year old band that doesn't even make music anymore should be the next pinball theme. lol.

#149 6 months ago

#153 6 months ago

#154 6 months ago

#156 6 months ago
Quoted from BlownXstr:

Like the man Pete Townshend wrote; and Roger Daltrey sang, "Rock is dead". And they were right.

If that is the case, then pinball must be dead too. That would make it pretty much a rotting corpse.

1 week later
#158 6 months ago

Flashback to a more mellow one from the 90s.

Millions of views on almost every version say at least some were paying attention.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 899.00
$ 9.95
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball USA
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 79.00
Playfield - Other
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
€ 4.20
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 99.00
Hardware
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 25.50
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside